Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Just let things end so there’s space for new things. It’s getting too crowded with zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They're doing a mini-series right now that uses a bunch of concepts they never did in the DCAU (Red Hood/Jason Todd, Deathstroke) and it's ok.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw some article saying that they're considering doing a "sequel" to BTAS, whatever that means..

They did that, it's called Batman Beyond and it rips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Batman Beyond rules and also it's set in 2039. We're less than 20 years away from Batman Beyond world!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Obviously I know Batman Beyond. I think they more or less meant BTAS but again.

Which is a dead end. They've done everything they can in that animated universe. I know that there's also recent BTAS comic that continues the adventures and adds in new things like Red Hood and stuff. I wonder how that ended up.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

And they also make way less. You know how those movies that don't make avengers money get funded, right? From poo poo like avengers. You don't know what you're talking about on any level. You just don't like a genre of movie and you've decided to be a big baby about it. It's surprising you don't like them, they're for children and all.

This is an extremely silly argument because companies like Disney, who have a monopoly on superhero movies (and blockbusters in general), don't really make non-blockbusters. Mid-budget movies that were made 20 years ago or even 10 years ago simply aren't made by these studios anymore. Like, a decade ago Disney was still putting out like The Proposal or Confessions of a Shopaholic. For the back half of the 10's, TouchStone only funded movies in conjunction with 5 or 6 other companies. Now they're dead. The only "small" movies they're gonna be making now are remakes of Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Home Alone which are gonna be dumped on streaming

And rom-coms don't necessarily make less – a random example like What Women Want made more than the last superhero movie pre-pandemic (without adjusting for inflation).

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

So you don't like how intertwined and inseparable the movies are, but when its pointed out they aren't actually that intertwined at all you get even madder because they *should* have been more intertwined to justify your initial take?

You can just say you don't like things without having to invent a reason why, its ok.

"Mad" is a strong word, but it does kinda sour my opinions on some of 'em in hindsight that I enjoyed in the moment in a vacuum, but when taken as a singular interconnected work (which they seem to market themselves as), it does give the feeling of "Oh... so that had nothing to do with anything going forward, huh?" I feel the MCU wasn't cohesive enough to justify being so all-encompassing.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 29, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PeterCat posted:

They did that, it's called Batman Beyond and it rips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

so loving good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, it's not necessary but I've got to admit I adore the idea of more BTAS that gives us the Court of Cowls, Batman, Inc. material, and the Damian by way of more David Warner appearances.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1343598836892258307

This feels like DC trying to go after Marvel the same way Activision went after Harmonix: Oversaturate the market with Guitar Hero spin-offs that eventually overshadow and drown out Rock Band's occasional releases.

quote:

According to Hamada, the most expensive DC movies will be designed for movie theaters just as they always have been (think Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” films, James Wan’s “Aquaman” sequel, Dwayne Johnson’s “Black Adam” film, the long-in-development Flash movie). The goal is to begin releasing four of these tentpoles in theaters a year beginning in 2022. Smaller, riskier comic book films will head straight to HBO Max. While not confirmed, The Times suggests projects such as Batgirl and Static Shock movies are examples of the films DC Films will send straight to HBO Max. The goal is for DC Films to release two HBO Max comic book films a year.
lol but the thing is I was only going to see the smaller films in the theater

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I demand the critical posts on the owls of wahoo legend of guardians

lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

devmd01 posted:

All I remember about watching sucker punch is that I was pretty bored watching it and coming to the realization that I prefer my badass women to have clothing on.

This is the film's point, so nice work.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Vince MechMahon posted:

And they also make way less. You know how those movies that don't make avengers money get funded, right? From poo poo like avengers. You don't know what you're talking about on any level. You just don't like a genre of movie and you've decided to be a big baby about it. It's surprising you don't like them, they're for children and all.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/genre/sg2111762689/?ref_=bo_gs_table_117

Actually romantic comedies used to do bananas box office back in the 90s and aughts. Wonder what changed around 2010 that suddenly ate up all the Hollywood pie...

Also I do like superhero movies, not sure why you think I have a grudge against them or whatever. If I ate nothing but bananas for a week I’d probably crave something else, it doesn’t mean I’m an irrational banana hater.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've made the semi-joke before that the Anakin/Padme romance in the Star Wars prequels may have meant to be shown as unhealthy, but even if they did no one would notice because they still have a sounder basis for a relationship than the protagonists of any 90s and 00s romantic comedy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Runaway Bride

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really need to get the Batman Beyond Blu-ray.

I was 18 or 19, and doing the things you do at that age, like staying up playing Risk and watching horror movies until 3am, but you bet your rear end I was making sure to get up in time for Batman Beyond.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Doesn't Justice League count as a followup to Batman: The Animated Series? The origin episodes weren't that great, but the series itself was (in my opinion) very well written and fun, with a lot of the witticisms you'd expect from an Avengers movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Prowler posted:

Doesn't Justice League count as a followup to Batman: The Animated Series? The origin episodes weren't that great, but the series itself was (in my opinion) very well written and fun, with a lot of the witticisms you'd expect from an Avengers movie.

The DCAU includes:

Batman TAS
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Superman TAS
The New Adventures of Batman & Robin
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman & Harley Quinn
Justice League vs The Fatal Five
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

The DCAU includes:

Batman TAS
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Superman TAS
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman & Harley Quinn
Justice League vs The Fatal Five
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

I'm speaking about television shows/ongoing series, not the entirety of the DCAU. If you include the movies, the list goes on forever.

Here's a list, excluding everything before Batman: TAS.

Batman: The Animated Series
Superman: The Animated Series
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Batman Beyond
Justice League (Unlimited is considered season 3 and 4)

After the WB run:

The Batman
Teen Titan
Teen Titans Go
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Krypto: The Super Dog
Young Justice
Legion of Super Heroes
Beware the Batman
Harley Quinn

The DCAU has always been much more expansive than Marvel's. Marvel cartoons, for the most part, were kinda bad or low effort (Spider-Man and X-Men, contemporaries of Batman: TAS, had god awful animation and voice acting, for example).

I guess the answer to my question is actually "Superman: TAS." Which was boring, IMO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Legion of Superheroes show is a weird example because it was totally supposed to be a spin off and they even did a backdoor pilot where Supergirl goes into the future but sometime between that and the series actually starting it got reworked into Superboy instead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Prowler posted:

I guess the answer to my question is actually "Superman: TAS." Which was boring, IMO.

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRkZABDQKPQ

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This isn't a fair example and you know it! (I didn't even watch this series that much and I can almost quote this word for word. I have issues.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't watch Superman TAS because it was usually half-over by the time I got home from school.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Prowler posted:

I'm speaking about television shows/ongoing series, not the entirety of the DCAU. If you include the movies, the list goes on forever.

Here's a list, excluding everything before Batman: TAS.

Superman: The Animated Series
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Batman Beyond
Justice League (Unlimited is considered season 3 and 4)

After the WB run:

The Batman
Teen Titan
Teen Titans Go
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Krypto: The Super Dog
Young Justice
Legion of Super Heroes
Beware the Batman
Harley Quinn

The DCAU has always been much more expansive than Marvel's. Marvel cartoons, for the most part, were kinda bad or low effort (Spider-Man and X-Men, contemporaries of Batman: TAS, had god awful animation and voice acting, for example).

None of the stuff you listed is in continuity with what I listed, and none of the other DC animated movies I didn't list are either. What I posted is, minus a few shorts like Catch Me, the complete DCAU.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Superman TAS had a fantastic theme song at the very least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7DQAjR7rgY

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

None of the stuff you listed is in continuity with what I listed, and none of the other DC animated movies I didn't list are either. What I posted is, minus a few shorts like Catch Me, the complete DCAU.

What the heck, I didn't know that was the specific name for the ones with continuity--I thought it was the generic title for their animated products. Whoops.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Prowler posted:

What the heck, I didn't know that was the specific name for the ones with continuity--I thought it was the generic title for their animated products. Whoops.

Ha ha no big deal. It's actually very confusing cause they have an entire line of direct to video movies that are in continuity and that's called the DC animated MOVIE universe. Then there's other direct to video animated stuff that's either in continuity with other properties like the Arkham games or the Nolan movies, or with each other but not the other stuff, or with nothing else at all. It's all confusing if you're not a lunatic like me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't realize the Arkham games have a animated movie series tie in

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I didn't realize the Arkham games have a animated movie series tie in

I mean you have Batman voiced by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the Joker, so they might as well

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean you have Batman voiced by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the Joker, so they might as well

I'm pretty sure it uses the voice cast from Origins lmao. It's called Assault on Arkham, it's actually a suicide squad movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Assault on Arkham was kicking rad (for the most part) and the only movie that's ever had me actively rooting against Batman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vandar posted:

Assault on Arkham was kicking rad (for the most part) and the only movie that's ever had me actively rooting against Batman.

Yeah it's better than the real Suicide Squad movie. And the other animated suicide squad movie.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Iron Crowned posted:

I really need to get the Batman Beyond Blu-ray.

I was 18 or 19, and doing the things you do at that age, like staying up playing Risk and watching horror movies until 3am, but you bet your rear end I was making sure to get up in time for Batman Beyond.

Is there any reason to get the Blu-ray of it if I already have the DVDs? I didn't know there was one.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Brave and the Bold is wonderful and I will fistfight anyone who says otherwise.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

How is the Harley and Ivy TV show?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Brave and the Bold is wonderful and I will fistfight anyone who says otherwise.

Brave and the Bold and Justice League Unlimited are both tons of fun. The creative teams got to go hog wild with the DC Comics toybox.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Superman TAS wasn't as consistently good as Batman, but it sure did have some great moments and overall I think is a good series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MH Knights posted:

How is the Harley and Ivy TV show?

It starts out looking like it is going to be too try hard but turns out to be really good. It also stars Kite Man (Hell yeah)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

You could just not go to them, you know. "I hope an entire genre the a lot of people like dies just cause I don't like it" is something an rear end in a top hat or a child says. So which is it, are you 14 or just a prick?

I hope they stop making your stupid baby movies specifically so that you feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

I hope they stop making your stupid baby movies specifically so that you feel bad.

I like them but I'm not that invested in them on an emotional level or anything, but you seem to be a member of the target audience. Why do so many people on these forums get so personally invested in hating middle of the road family movies that it makes them unhinged like this?