Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

A friend of mine went to visit some family in Alabama and decided to pick up a souvenir for me on the way back. I cannot stress this enough this occurred in like 2012 and I never asked for them.

I loved it because of how unbelievably awful these things are and are still being sold in the south in the modern USA.

I never used them and they have since broken into pieces from falling behind my stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Pez Museum -- Burlingame, California

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Full-size Stonehenge replica -- Maryhill, Washington

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 30, 2020

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Dinosaur Kingdom II

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Bedrock City (62-acre Flintstones theme park) -- Custer, South Dakota

Closed in 2015.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmao that flintstones place must have been insanely depressing by 2015

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

TheAardvark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABtLVb9zkc

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

A relic uniquely burned into the American mind. See also, Carhenge

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

We camped here when I was a kid (early 80s), and it was loving rad! I still have vivid and happy memories of the place.

Here is a good video of the abandoned park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvjJIhkZG-Q

Here is a Super 8 film reel of the park in 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYvPZZgp0A

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

"What if a park were left in the care of a team of clinically depressed people" is a question to which we now have an answer, thank you. Just imagine dropping acid and listening to Lustmord in a place like that.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here is a Super 8 film reel of the park in 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYvPZZgp0A

nightmare 12 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYvPZZgp0A&t=29s

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

limp_cheese posted:

I honestly would try the chicken fried steak at that place.

It's a pretty good hook, not gonna lie. Was that Google reviewer a self-important rear end in a top hat with no taste or was he right? I NEED TO KNOW

This place looks badass

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Reminds me of Bamahenge in Elberta, AL. I'd post pictures and contribute more besides but it's too annoying in my phone

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

TheAardvark posted:

This is actually one of my favorite Americana things!

Almost every town in the American Heartland has a small ice-cream/fast food place called something like The Dairy Barn or Purple Cow.

Hell, I can actually post an image of a Purple Cow I've eaten at:

The thing that makes these places so interesting is that they're totally independent, and the locals always treat it as this real unique attraction of their city.

It's not though!!! they're always exactly the loving same !!!!!!!

Idgi, are locally made small ice cream shops bad?

These are all fantastic delicious ice cream places and the world is better for it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Those all look like high faluting places that actually do justice to locally made ice cream.

I wouldn't really categorize them as the same as what I'm talking about, places that usually also serve a menu solely of fried cheap food and more often than not only serve types of soft-serve. (E: And milkshakes of course. Those are the reason I still go to these places sometimes)

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 30, 2020

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Oh yeah soft serve lol I forget that's a thing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A Typical Menu,

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheAardvark posted:

A Typical Menu,

Deluxe hot dogs under $3 put Doobie plum out of business.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Aw yeah, grew up and live around here. I have a photo of some friends that climbed it about 15 years ago somewhere.

Not far from there was a small amusement park called Americana that was pretty great to 9 year old me at the time.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/local/look-back-lesourdsville-lake-americana-amusement-park/MadXY9CsDkNy1q7BDCzK8L/

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

bonrey rudbo

i also love this thread, it's really making me reminisce about my childhood.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question regarding small town USA.

In Australia, most country towns, no matter how tiny, have a local Chinese restaurant. Run by a Chinese immigrant family, onto which the locals vent their outright racism or their "you're one of the good ones" passive racism.

Is it similar in America?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odz_-BcKxx0

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

BrigadierSensible posted:

In Australia, most country towns, no matter how tiny, have a local Chinese restaurant. Run by a Chinese immigrant family, onto which the locals vent their outright racism or their "you're one of the good ones" passive racism.

America is a big place so I don't think I can speak for every city and state but yes it is exactly like this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I see they sell a SLAW DAWG

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I call partial bullshit on this. Plenty of small towns in NSW have a Chinese restaurant run by Australians who think Beef and Black Bean, and Honey Prawns, are the height of Chinese delicacies. They’re universally woeful.

For authentic Asian food in country Australia, Thai is usually reliable because the chef is actually a lovely Thai woman that some sweaty boomer married and brought home.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This place is straight up haunted

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Growing up down the road in Rapid City, we went to that Flinstones park a few times, and it was creepy and depressing in the 80s/90s too.

I think concrete dinosaurs were just a big thing in the Black Hills.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Bloopsy posted:

America is a big place so I don't think I can speak for every city and state but yes it is exactly like this.

I think it’s important to clarify that American small town Chinese food and actual Chinese food are almost entirely different cuisines.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I love this video! Haven't seen it in years, but remember the music.

Captain Lavender posted:

Growing up down the road in Rapid City, we went to that Flinstones park a few times, and it was creepy and depressing in the 80s/90s too.

I think concrete dinosaurs were just a big thing in the Black Hills.

I like concrete dinosaurs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

the actual answer is complicated, but the simple food and culture answer is "yes, with offer less valid the further north and east you go," while the simple racism answer is "not really, but offer is more valid the further south and east you go."

as a for example, in kansas and missouri there will be a lot of chinese restaurants in little towns that are actually run by, for example, vietnamese people who put up a chinese restaurant because it's easier to sell chinese food than their native cuisine, and most hicks can't tell the difference in preparation styles or asian ethnicities anyway. the racism portion is very different in the US because unlike Australia, asian immigrants have a wide scale reputation of being a 'model minority' so racist old fucks are substantially less likely to get their bigoted hackles up when around them. not that this stops a lot of particularly lovely people from thinking the 'one of the good ones' diatribe is a compliment and letting it hang out from time to time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jungle jim's, the most insane grocery store on earth. It is absolutely massive, has tons of great food, and more tons of international stuff. Most stores have half an isle. This place has whole isles devoted to one country or region.

Also the bathrooms.

Entrance

Inside

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

ˇLUCY THE ELEPHANT!

Built in 1881 to lure people to the otherwise elephantless Margate, NJ, a shore town near my parent's house. Since then it has been a hotel, tavern, restaurant, office, and someone's home.

In the 70s it started looking haggard and needed an immense amount of repair, but rather than tear it down, some citizens banded together to raise money to repair it and have it made a National Historic Landmark.

And the absolute best part about this is that they had to move it to city owned property. 100 yards down the street.

Fearing that the vibrations would shake her apart, they moved incredibly slowly, taking over seven hours. The main street was shut down and people came from neighboring towns to watch. Hucksters started selling food, and trinkets, and by the time Lucy was in her new home, a massive impromptu street party followed in her wake.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Since we're talking about large concrete statues in the Dakotas, here's the WORLD'S LARGEST BUFFALO in Jamestown, ND.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

In Indiana when my parents wanted Chinese food it would be a buffet. Honestly whenever we went out to eat it was buffets because my stepdad was very active and would eat 2 dinners everywhere else we went. It was just economics. Spent a lot of time in Ponderosa Steak House, Old Country Buffet, or if we were lucky Ryan's. Anyways, I dreaded Chinese restaurants because before the woman who seated us was a yard from the table they would start in with "Have nice day" or some other mannerisms of hers in a terrible Chinese accent. If they had some friends with us they would be laughing along and joining in. I probably did too when I was young just because it was normal until it dawned on me what was happening. Didn't matter the Chinese buffet either.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

This is actually one of my favorite Americana things!

Almost every town in the American Heartland has a small ice-cream/fast food place called something like The Dairy Barn or Purple Cow.

Hell, I can actually post an image of a Purple Cow I've eaten at:

The thing that makes these places so interesting is that they're totally independent, and the locals always treat it as this real unique attraction of their city.

It's not though!!! they're always exactly the loving same !!!!!!!

Are crazy golf/driving ranges/batting cages also usually part of the package?

Also, re: small town Chinese food - fuckin crab Rangoon lol. A "Chinese" dish with cheese named after the colonial name for a Burmese city.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Rocket slide, Kehoe Park, St. Charles, Illinois.

This thing was already ancient when I played on it as a kid. I'm surprised it's still there, but am glad because it is awesome.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Benny Harvey posted:

Are crazy golf/driving ranges/batting cages also usually part of the package?

Also, re: small town Chinese food - fuckin crab Rangoon lol. A "Chinese" dish with cheese named after the colonial name for a Burmese city.

I remember being in college and meeting an old buddy of mine at a Chinese buffet in Huntsville, where they had an entire serving tray filled to the brim with fried mozzarella sticks. It was amazing to watch people scurry over and pile a minimum of six onto each plate of food, and nobody was under any delusion of authenticity. After having the privilege of living in a local Chinatown for a year and eating a lot of authentic food, the stuff that goes uncommented upon in buffets and Americanized Chinese places is sorta incredible.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Rocket slide, Kehoe Park, St. Charles, Illinois.

This thing was already ancient when I played on it as a kid. I'm surprised it's still there, but am glad because it is awesome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_playground_equipment

There is one near where I lived in Boulder.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: i was in two chinese restaurant discussions at the same time and posted in the wrong one

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Coolguye posted:

the actual answer is complicated, but the simple food and culture answer is "yes, with offer less valid the further north and east you go," while the simple racism answer is "not really, but offer is more valid the further south and east you go."

as a for example, in kansas and missouri there will be a lot of chinese restaurants in little towns that are actually run by, for example, vietnamese people who put up a chinese restaurant because it's easier to sell chinese food than their native cuisine, and most hicks can't tell the difference in preparation styles or asian ethnicities anyway. the racism portion is very different in the US because unlike Australia, asian immigrants have a wide scale reputation of being a 'model minority' so racist old fucks are substantially less likely to get their bigoted hackles up when around them. not that this stops a lot of particularly lovely people from thinking the 'one of the good ones' diatribe is a compliment and letting it hang out from time to time.
Wifezwang and I once ate at a "Chinese Restaurant" in some tiny-rear end eastern Utah town that was staffed entirely by white folks and also served spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, and macaroni and cheese.