Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
had Superboy Prime appeared at all between the New 52 and John's Shazam?

also thought the Secret Origin one-shot was decent. some of that was the Manapul pages, but also now that Prime isn't overused the way he was for ~5 years from Infinite Crisis onwards, i have a lot more patience for the character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FoneBone posted:

had Superboy Prime appeared at all between the New 52 and John's Shazam?

also thought the Secret Origin one-shot was decent. some of that was the Manapul pages, but also now that Prime isn't overused the way he was for ~5 years from Infinite Crisis onwards, i have a lot more patience for the character

John's Shazam was his first reappearance since the New52 reboot. Johns may have possibly set up his inclusion and release for this event. As for how he was in that other place to begin with to be released? :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean I'ma make fun of it forever 'cuz it deserves it, but I genuinely enjoyed Infinite Crisis the first time I read it and thought Prime's inclusion was really interesting. He was, fundamentally, a cartoon character who didn't understand these new gritty edgedark heroes, and didn't understand that there are consequences in "real life" when you punch someone with enough power to move planets. This new, darker DC Universe did "ruin him." And back in the idyllic days of...2005...the whole "meta" commentary in comics was still pretty novel, with only Morrison and a few other writers ever really trying it.

My problem is with this being the whateverth time at this point that Geoff Johns has his comic book characters complain on the page about things that Geoff Johns specifically has done, and then charging people money to read it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah Johns having characters preemptively complain about things that he knew readers would complain about feels like when Tom DeFalco would write some hackneyed plot and have like Thunderstrike say "I didn't know people did this kind of thing outside of my son's stupid comic books!"

like, you're writing it, if you think it's dumb and bad, write something else, don't have the characters shout about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

" And back in the idyllic days of...2005...the whole "meta" commentary in comics was still pretty novel, with only Morrison and a few other writers ever really trying it.

Fantastic Four #10 in 1963 has Dr Doom try and kidnap Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to set a trap for the Fantastic Four

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Fantastic Four #10 in 1963 has Dr Doom try and kidnap Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to set a trap for the Fantastic Four

Marvel comics exist in the marvel universe and are the licensed retellings of the heroes adventures. Except spider-man. I think spidey actually gets pissed about this in an issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn’t Steve Rogers the artist for the Marvel Universes Captain America comic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wasn’t Steve Rogers the artist for the Marvel Universes Captain America comic?

No, he drew a very thinly veiled Captain America knock-off under the pseudonym Roger Stevens.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

No, he drew a very thinly veiled Captain America knock-off under the pseudonym Roger Stevens.

Liberty bonds!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Action Man posted:

Countdown is one of the few DC books so terrible that I couldn’t finish it, and it blatantly contradicts Final Crisis.
52 Done Right!!!

Countdown and DoNG (Death of the New Gods) was basically DC Editorial getting napkin scribblings about the state of the matter in Final Crisis and then DCE spinning vague threads to set it up, in the most hamfisted and terrible fashion imaginable. Like, 90s Japanese RPG English Translation with half of the box art blurb to go on kind of bad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I liked the SBP issue, too. I know they've given him "conclusions" before and also tried some minor redemption stuff but this one was handled much better and concluded in a nicer way. Unlike him being stuck on "earth" posting angrily online about how DC comics sucks because he was used as a lame fan insert criticism. Hopefully this is the last we see of him.

I doubt it. I assume it'll go the way of Speed Metal where the issue itself is great but any progress in it is immediately thrown away.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It's such a minor thing, but I wish they'd go back to calling Batman/Superman "World's Finest" instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frameset posted:

It's such a minor thing, but I wish they'd go back to calling Batman/Superman "World's Finest" instead.

Honestly, I think that wouldn't play well today, given that name is basically calling Bats and Supes cops.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, I think that wouldn't play well today, given that name is basically calling Bats and Supes cops.

Uhhhh... I have some bad news...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think the like using World's Finest for team-ups involving Batman and Superman analogs, not them personally, now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Uhhhh... I have some bad news...

Well, yes, but I'm not sure DC are gonna want the thinkpieces that go along with launching a book with a title that explicitly calls attention to that aspect of them.

Edit: Or maybe just I don't because I can imagine The Discourse about it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 26, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, "World's Finest" makes people think of cops? I've literally only ever heard it in the context of comics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Wait, "World's Finest" makes people think of cops? I've literally only ever heard it in the context of comics.

its a play on calling a city's police force it's "finest". New York's Finest, Los Angeles' Finest, Chicago's Finest, etc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus the series came about in the Silver Age where they were doing stuff like having Batman literally being an officially deputised officer of the GCPD and stuff.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Plus the series came about in the Silver Age where they were doing stuff like having Batman literally being an officially deputised officer of the GCPD and stuff.

The series launched in the golden age, though originally didn't have the two interacting outside of the cover.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

World’s Finest started out as World’s Best but DC changed the name after the first issue because some other publisher was already printing Best Comics. I think it originally was an extension of World’s Fair Comics, made for the 1938 World’s Fair and the first time Batman and Superman were depicted together.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Too bad Brave and the Bold sounds like a soap opera.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

Too bad Brave and the Bold sounds like a soap opera.

They should roll with that, IMHO.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

How is Death Metal still going? Please end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or just ignore it?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Endless Mike posted:

Or just ignore it?

It’s what I do with most DC comics, and it seems to work just fine.

Which reminds me; how is the Morrison Green Lantern?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Action Man posted:

It’s what I do with most DC comics, and it seems to work just fine.

Which reminds me; how is the Morrison Green Lantern?

Very weird and could probably be divorced from the rest of the DCU with zero consequence.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Xelkelvos posted:

Very weird and could probably be divorced from the rest of the DCU with zero consequence.

Now that sounds like the Grant I know and love!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Or just ignore it?

I'd like it to be over so I can read it all in one go. It just feels like it's gone on a little longer than I thought would.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Action Man posted:

Now that sounds like the Grant I know and love!

I really like it overall but it is definitely untethered from everything else in big aggressive ways.

The second season isn't really working for me, but at least even the issues I don't like are interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's very weird after about a decade of the DCU almost revolving around the GLs because Johns loved Hal so much, to have 2 Green Lantern titles that are basically nothing to do with the rest of the line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was the New 52 and on Earth 2 stuff any good? I see Tom Taylor wrote the book for a while, and I generally like his stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

WHY ON EARTH ARE ALL THE SPECULATORS GOING WILD FOR JINNY HEX #1 TODAY? I don't get modern speculation, she was in a cancelled book that was somewhat popular but ultimately sold poorly.

Gaz-L posted:

Was the New 52 and on Earth 2 stuff any good? I see Tom Taylor wrote the book for a while, and I generally like his stuff.

Earth 2 was actually a pretty good book, but I would honestly just skip every N52 book. There are some bright spots like the Snyder Batman run and the delightful Green Arrow issues by Lemire but if you don't read any of it at all you will be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

WHY ON EARTH ARE ALL THE SPECULATORS GOING WILD FOR JINNY HEX #1 TODAY? I don't get modern speculation, she was in a cancelled book that was somewhat popular but ultimately sold poorly.

Earth 2 was actually a pretty good book, but I would honestly just skip every N52 book. There are some bright spots like the Snyder Batman run and the delightful Green Arrow issues by Lemire but if you don't read any of it at all you will be fine.

Comics speculators are, quite frankly, completely loving bonkers.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

N52 superman is younger, brasher, and a bit more relatable. He still is Good Guy supreme, but he at least feels like he would sit down with you for beers instead of giving you a warm cup of milk and sending you to bed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Morrison's action comics run is real good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

N52 superman is younger, brasher, and a bit more relatable. He still is Good Guy supreme, but he at least feels like he would sit down with you for beers instead of giving you a warm cup of milk and sending you to bed.

I liked him in what I read with him.

Was the Superbro stuff any good? His cameo in Grayson from that time was cool, but that's the only comic I've read where he has the buzzcut.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Demon Knights

How could anyone forget Demon Knights?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That was supposed to read 'N52 era Earth 2' but i typed it on phone quickly while on the can so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Demon Knights, All-Star Western, and Swamp Thing were all really good N52 books. A lot of the actual superhero stuff was pretty dire, though.