Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm in the mood for some good point-and click adventures.

I already have all the Space Quest games, the Monkey Island games, the Sam and Max games, The Dig, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Book of Unwritten Tales series, Broken Sword 1-3, the first two Deponia games (probably not buying the third), Firewatch, Gone Home, Heaven's Vault, INFRA, J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, Maize, Obduction, Primordia, Resonance, Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and probably a few others.

EDIT: I also have The Sexy Brutale, Full Throttle and Disco Elysium.

Other than those, are there any good point-and-click adventure games on sale which may have slipped under the radar?

Omi no Kami posted:

I've heard good things about the Disgaea games for ages, but the one time I tried the ps2 version of the first game I found it way too slow and tedious to play through- are any of the remastered games worth a look, or am I going to have similiar issues with the original and remaster/sequels?

I've played the PC ports of the first two games, and I think the games are probably just as grindy as the originals. You have a bunch of units to field, and each unit earns experience separately, and each skill they have earns experience separately. There's a system to teach certain skills to other units, and even the base one takes several uses before the new character learns it permanently. The first game's main campaign isn't too bad, but in the bonus/extra campaign, enemy levels start to increase far faster than your units, which means a lot more repeating of maps to grind XP. I got somewhat burned out with that partway through the extra campaign.

I don't have experience with 3, 4, or 5, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It seems like you don't have the Blackwell series yet. Those are pretty much a nobrainer recommendation for modern retro adventure games.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get the Blackwell bundle

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
You might try out The Sexy Brutale as well. Strangely, it is essentially a point & click adventure that’s repackaged in the wrapper of a different style of game. People seem to like it okay and it’s usually very inexpensive.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't see any games from Amanita Design in your list, so you might enjoy them. They're not especially difficult puzzle-wise but they have a whole tonne of charm to them. Machinarium, Botanicula, Chuchel or the Samorost games are all pretty great in my opinion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I see lots of LucasArts games in that list, but not Full Throttle or Grim Fandango

I am also ruling that Disco Elysium is a point-and-click

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Both seasons of The Last Door are excellent cosmic horror point-and-clicks.

I'm playing Paradise Killer right now and it's super good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Reminder that I still have a free copy of Grim Fandango Remastered to give away. Stabbey, if you want it, it's yours.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's a lot of recommendations. Thanks to everyone who replied, either before or after.

Cardiovorax posted:

It seems like you don't have the Blackwell series yet. Those are pretty much a nobrainer recommendation for modern retro adventure games.

I don't have those, so thanks to you and rt4 for the recommendation

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You might try out The Sexy Brutale as well. Strangely, it is essentially a point & click adventure that’s repackaged in the wrapper of a different style of game. People seem to like it okay and it’s usually very inexpensive.

I have it, I finished it, I 100%ed it even, and while I wanted to like it, I found it disappointing. It didn't offer enough red herrings or possible-but-wrong solutions to be engaging. Everything at first was too obvious, and it took too long for the game to start making the puzzles challenging. You even had to solve the murders one at a time, instead of finding a way to solve them all at once.

boof posted:

I don't see any games from Amanita Design in your list, so you might enjoy them. They're not especially difficult puzzle-wise but they have a whole tonne of charm to them. Machinarium, Botanicula, Chuchel or the Samorost games are all pretty great in my opinion.

I hadn't heard of those. I'll consider them as well.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm not sure about The Last Door, I'm not too big into horror (Gibbous, despite being a Cthulu adventure, appears to be a comedy), and the aesthetic doesn't do much for me either.

Paradise Killer, that's the strangeish game with a somewhat "Dagan Ronpa"-like aesthetic, right? EDIT: No, it doesn't look that much like it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Reminder that I still have a free copy of Grim Fandango Remastered to give away. Stabbey, if you want it, it's yours.

Sure, PM sent.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 30, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Nelly Cootalot series are among the best of the point and click games out there. If you haven't played them, you're missing out.

The Space Pilgrim series was built in RPGMaker but really they're point and click as well. I've only played the first half but they're very good too.

The Charnel House Trilogy was meant as a teaser for a game that never materialized. If you can deal with that, give it a try.

The Last Door is excellent as well.

Some other reccomendations: The Darkside Detective, Fran Bow, Four Last Things, The Journey Down, Sally Face, Tengami.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure about The Last Door, I'm not too big into horror (Gibbous, despite being a Cthulu adventure, appears to be a comedy), and the aesthetic doesn't do much for me either.

Paradise Killer, that's the strangeish game with a somewhat "Dagan Ronpa"-like aesthetic, right?=
Oh, only the loosest sense. They both have an anime art style and 3D open-world exploration. Danganronpa really doubles down on the anime thing, though, while Paradise Killer is way more weird. You player character is basically Rita Repulsa - "After 3 million days, I am finally free! Time... to solve a murder mystery, yay."

Lady Love Dies is not nearly as silly of a character as the name and design might make you think. Three million days of imprisonment leave you with a lot of time to think.

Last Door is horror in the same sense that Shadow Of The Comet is. You might like it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also can't recommend Whispers of a Machine and the classic Machinarium that someone else mentioned enough.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 30, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Another vote for Blackwell series.

Also Day of the Tentacle and Gabriel Knight (mainly the first, but the other two are interesting as well) if you want some true classics.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

Happy to see you here again!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sexy brutale is great but it does fall into an awkward in-between space where it wants to be a pretty low-friction ride through a story while the existence of puzzles makes you expect a challenge, so when there isn’t any challenge it comes across as an excessively easy puzzle game rather than the pseudo-walking sim it really is. I was expecting the extreme simplicity of each scenario to culminate in a final challenge where you have to save every guest in the same day, but that never happens.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Back in the 90s I loved Simon the Sorcerer (I never played the sequel) and it's on Steam.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Unavowed is an amazing old school point & click adventure that mixes in some RPG style choices. Technobabylon is also great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
(sorry, double post)

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 30, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It veers from classic point-and-click style in some parts but I will give a strong recommendation for The Hex. A bunch of washed-up old video game characters wind up in a spooky hotel together with a mystery to solve -- you switch perspective between them, jumping between genre-hopping flashbacks of their glory days and exploring the hotel in the present. While there's some humor, the tone is a lot more serious than you'd expect -- the subject matter is referential to video games in general but it's never really played for cheap nudge-nudge "remember this?" stuff and there's a very cool mystery at the heart of it all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's a lot more recommendations than I was expecting, thank you everyone.

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, only the loosest sense. They both have an anime art style and 3D open-world exploration. Danganronpa really doubles down on the anime thing, though, while Paradise Killer is way more weird. You player character is basically Rita Repulsa - "After 3 million days, I am finally free! Time... to solve a murder mystery, yay."

Lady Love Dies is not nearly as silly of a character as the name and design might make you think. Three million days of imprisonment leave you with a lot of time to think.

Last Door is horror in the same sense that Shadow Of The Comet is. You might like it.

Thanks for the Grim Fandango Remastered key. "Way more weird" is definitely notable when the comparison is to "Dagan Ronpa". An open world mystery sounds interesting. Just one mystery, pre-written, or multiple mysteries?

I've never played Shadow of the Comet. I had to google it to find out what it was, in fact.

Dreylad posted:

Also can't recommend Whispers of a Machine and the classic Machinarium that someone else mentioned.

I'll assume you meant "can't recommend enough" or "can recommend" :), so I picked up Whispers of a Machine and Kathy Rain.

EDIT: I also have Simon the Sorcerer 1 from GoG. I should go back to playing it, as I'm not finished.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for the Grim Fandango Remastered key. "Way more weird" is definitely notable when the comparison is to "Dagan Ronpa". An open world mystery sounds interesting. Just one mystery, pre-written, or multiple mysteries?
Mostly just one mystery - you have one clear and concise goal that you pursue it through the entire game. There are little sub-mysteries, though, little unanswered questions that come up and for which you must find the evidence yourself.

When you compare it to Danganronpa in a thematic sense, though... realizing just what a monster your character is, and has always been, really hits a lot harder than any overly dramatic anime bullshit that Dangan Ronpa has to offer. It is the first game I have played in a long time that genuinely disturbed me. There is very, very little that is explicit in what you learn about the islands and yourselves. There is no violence and no gore, but the implications of what you've done, of what you've been party to, are legitimately horrid.

I've never played Shadow of the Comet. I had to google it to find out what it was, in fact.
Ah, sorry about that, then. It's such a well-known adventure, I figured you might at least have heard about it. Basically, it's a Lovecraftian horror-themed adventure game, but it's horror in the way The Shadow Over Innsmouth is horror. There are no gibbering, cyclopean monstrosities for you to defeat, just a riddle and a town that doesn't want to talk. It is widely considered absolutely excellent.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There are so many good modern point and click adventure games it's insane.

Titles I haven't seen mentioned yet, in no particular order:
Primordia
Thumbleweed Park
Truberbrook
The Shivah
The Journey Down
The Dream Machine

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MGSV replacing the codec calls with cassette tapes you could listen to while you were playing the game was legitimately one of the best things AAA gaming has done with storytelling in games this decade and it sucks that nobody else seems to have taken that lesson to heart.

It was cool initially but I became annoyed trying to listen and pay attention to 20 minutes of dialogue while playing the actual game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Got one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feel bad for all the honest tournament-qualifying teams out there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Also can't recommend Whispers of a Machine and the classic Machinarium that someone else mentioned.

Can't? Why? Those are really good.

These are highjackers. RIP to your friend's account(s)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I wonder what they are doing with all these accounts. Subscribing to some workshop thing in a free game? Leaving positive reviews for something? Upvoting something? Taking people's Steam trade urls for an attack later on? Something to do with API keys? Or maybe this is how companies sell view and wishlisting services now. It has to be something important but that's not obvious to most people.

Edit: Oooh maybe they are fishing for people that reuse passwords too.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 30, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I got hit by that. 80% of my friends list shows me as blocked. Changed my password and tbh Steam needs to support more 2FA options than Steam Guard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I got hit by that. 80% of my friends list shows me as blocked. Changed my password and tbh Steam needs to support more 2FA options than Steam Guard.

how would that help? the entire problem is people giving their 2FA code to scammers who immediately log in with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you use a bypass code sure, but if you use 2fa push, not so much unless you're just gonna hit OK every time the spammer logs in with your account.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't they just need to log in only once to do unlimited harm? The problem isn't Steam's 2FA being weak or insufficient, it's pebkac and phishing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can't? Why? Those are really good.

Forum posting was slow as hell and I forgot to edit in "enough" at the end of my post whoops!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
In the alternate timeline everyone uses YubiKeys for 2FA.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Omi no Kami posted:

I've heard good things about the Disgaea games for ages, but the one time I tried the ps2 version of the first game I found it way too slow and tedious to play through- are any of the remastered games worth a look, or am I going to have similiar issues with the original and remaster/sequels?
If you mean having to see everyone slowly move around and activate their special moves all at once, which feels like minutes for each turn, I am pretty sure the first game now can skip that and go straight to the damage numbers. The first game is still incredibly slow and clunky and I recommend watching the story cutscenes instead. Disgaea 2 is a huge improvement and the Item World music is kicking. Phantom Brave is worth it and it is so cheap. Even has an alternate storyline.

Each of the Xenosaga games annoyed me to no end in their own way and Shion is one of the worst protag characters I ever saw and hated her in X3.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I already have all the Space Quest games, the Monkey Island games, the Sam and Max games, The Dig, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Book of Unwritten Tales series, Broken Sword 1-3, the first two Deponia games (probably not buying the third), Firewatch, Gone Home, Heaven's Vault, INFRA, J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, Maize, Obduction, Primordia, Resonance, Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and probably a few others.

EDIT: I also have The Sexy Brutale, Full Throttle and Disco Elysium.

Other than those, are there any good point-and-click adventure games on sale which may have slipped under the radar?

I've played the PC ports of the first two games, and I think the games are probably just as grindy as the originals. You have a bunch of units to field, and each unit earns experience separately, and each skill they have earns experience separately. There's a system to teach certain skills to other units, and even the base one takes several uses before the new character learns it permanently. The first game's main campaign isn't too bad, but in the bonus/extra campaign, enemy levels start to increase far faster than your units, which means a lot more repeating of maps to grind XP. I got somewhat burned out with that partway through the extra campaign.

I don't have experience with 3, 4, or 5, though.
You need Machinarium A LOT. One of the best point-and-clicks I've ever played, with interesting puzzles, a good 'plot', amazing art, good sound design.

If you're willing to deal with some melancholy, My Brother Rabbit and Rakuen should be must-buys. Both are beautiful. My Brother Rabbit is shorter and the puzzles are much less complex.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the preferred control method for Overload? I have a KB+M, gamepad, and HOTAS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overload is still an FPS at heart even if there's no gravity, up, or down, so I like KB+M best

a HOTAS seems like it'd be really cumbersome

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Depending on your throttle's button/switch situation I would go M+KB or KB+Stick. It's 6DOF and no gravity so you're gonna want to be able to move quickly in all directions a throttle is more of an annoyance than anything.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 31, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Lair of the Clocwork God is a hybrid adventure and platformer game, and it somehow works! Made by the guys who made the adventure games Ben There, Dan That and Time, Gentlemen, Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FastestGunAlive posted:

I feel the same. Really craving that battlefield feel but 1 and V don’t do it for me and I’ve played too much 4 already. Been playing a lot of titanfall 2 recently though, which I love but getting tired of the same maps. It’s not the battlefield formula but it’s a hell of a lot more exciting to me than cod or BRs

How is it these days population-wise? I hope there's a more balanced amount of newish players and vets.

Section Z posted:

Hey kids, it's time to shill for Earth Defense Force 5 again!

A game where you surpass "Accidentally killed eachother with a nuclear hand grenade or orbital strike" to "Shoot yourself with the orbital laser on purpose to free yourself from a flying monster, and trust your friends to revive your singing ragdolling corpse."

"But didn't they ask for a historical shooter?"
"Look, I may have not read that post too closely before posting."

It was fun for a while yeah, but I've had my fill of EDF honestly... once the Greys started showing up the game's fun level just started lowering hard for me.
It's absolutely at its best when it's fighting against the Giant Insects but the grind is nuts, there's only so much replaying and hoovering up crates one can do before they're driven to madness.

It's been a while though, maybe I'll give it another shot using cheat engine to mass collect everything.