Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flash is dead. long live flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

How the gently caress are this many people still using flash?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

“still works, why spend money to fix it?” education is notoriously poorly funded in the us.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

loving finally

mystes
May 31, 2006

The poor kids probably don't even have laptops so if their school district is using flash they're just being locked out of the content anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was great when computers always had old versions of the flash and java plugins with known security vulnerabilities installed and you couldn't even upgrade them unless you were an administrator.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

as someone who does k-12 IT for a living

pretty much no edtech software these days is running on flash. it's all html5, so either it's the old teacher paid for some licenses of some dumb website 25 years ago and never told sysadmins about it (in which case it didn't go through board approval and FERPA compliance evaluations so lol get owned when it dies), or they're having them play cool math games when they've got nothing else to do for the kids

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

which editors note, cool math games are neither cool or math related

however they have ported most of it over to html5 so they live to survive another day (until we block it)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also it looks like the version that's being uninstalled isn't even the sandboxed chrome version. It's been completely dangerous/insane to run the standalone plugin for like 10 years now.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mystes posted:

Also it looks like the version that's being uninstalled isn't even the sandboxed chrome version. It's been completely dangerous/insane to run the standalone plugin for like 10 years now.

no clue when google is gonna flip the feature flag that forces it off, i really hope it's just clock striking midnight

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Buff Hardback posted:

no clue when google is gonna flip the feature flag that forces it off, i really hope it's just clock striking midnight

When someone actually remembered that someone needs to do that, they'll mention it to the PM, who will schedule a story for next quarter, which unceremoniously gets dumped into the "ice box" because they need to pivot to supporting whatever brain fart an SVP said they would be shipping next month without telling them first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

maybe they'll back out of it like they did with dropping H.264, because some people said mean things in blog comments

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mystes posted:

it takes actual effort to replace, since you can't just dump the swf or fla into some tool to automatically convert it to something else

so it's an uphill battle trying to get organizations to spend time or resources on replacing the flash stuff they've been using since 2005, especially when it's been running with no updates or active development for so long that the person who built it was fired ten years ago and the original assets used to build the thing are long lost

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Buff Hardback posted:

im pretty sure that happened with 87 which just hit stable a couple of weeks ago. if you have a stable version of chrome installed you can check by trying to go to chrome [://] flash or ctrl-f flash on chrome [://] version

its definitely gone in chrome os beta 88

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good thing my company is ahead of the curve; all our online traning programs run in shockwave

mystes
May 31, 2006

How can they just suddenly remove flash when they only announced the EOL years ago?!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The mental gymnastics humans will consent to to avoid admitting that they hosed up real bad is wild

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I got asked to approve usage some weird vendor self packaged browser with an embedded flash player because "we need it to run the application used by internal audit". A solid lol from me on that one.

I said "if the security guys OK it then fine but I'm putting that in writing so if this gets busted don't say I didn't warn you"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

as someone who does k-12 IT for a living

pretty much no edtech software these days is running on flash. it's all html5, so either it's the old teacher paid for some licenses of some dumb website 25 years ago and never told sysadmins about it (in which case it didn't go through board approval and FERPA compliance evaluations so lol get owned when it dies), or they're having them play cool math games when they've got nothing else to do for the kids

what school district is that cuz the one i grew up in is so chronically underfunded and backwards that poo poo doesn't get updated for decades

hell when my mom retired from the school board they were still making the teachers input grades into an AS/400 via a terminal emulator, and that was like 5 years ago

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they did somehow get some kinda deal that let them replace all the teacher and library computers in like 2006 for shiny new lenovo things, but in exchange for that the contract / state / something said they couldn't upgrade or replace those lenovos for nineteen loving years

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

they did somehow get some kinda deal that let them replace all the teacher and library computers in like 2006 for shiny new lenovo things, but in exchange for that the contract / state / something said they couldn't upgrade or replace those lenovos for nineteen loving years

hahahaha what the gently caress kind of deal is this!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress kind of deal is this!

i think it was a servicing company contract where like, they got the computers at a deep discount but in exchange they had to keep those computers and the servicing contractor for an impossibly long time so they more than made it up with guaranteed income. i might be remembering the details or exact length of time or something wrong but i'm certain that one of the results was "we will not be allowed to replace these computers for an absurd amount of time and by the time we can they'll basically be antiques"

i'll ask my mom next time we talk cuz she also thought it was super bullshit at the time and would remember it better

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Shame Boy posted:

i think it was a servicing company contract where like, they got the computers at a deep discount but in exchange they had to keep those computers and the servicing contractor for an impossibly long time so they more than made it up with guaranteed income. i might be remembering the details or exact length of time or something wrong but i'm certain that one of the results was "we will not be allowed to replace these computers for an absurd amount of time and by the time we can they'll basically be antiques"

i'll ask my mom next time we talk cuz she also thought it was super bullshit at the time and would remember it better

you could get a better computer deal than that through loving rentacenter

it is good and cool when school districts are basically doing IT based on the kind of contracts that let poors buy an iphone 12

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
surely by now someone has figured out how to get the flash plugin running in wasm, making it available in every modern browser for the foreseeable future

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

surely by now someone has figured out how to get the flash plugin running in wasm, making it available in every modern browser for the foreseeable future
I think there are multiple people working on this but as with the various previous attempts to emulate flash, it will probably turn out that they don't actually care enough and they'll give up part way through.

IIRC someone's actually trying to do this by just running a virtual machine running the flash version so if that counts maybe it will work.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 31, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
someone cares

http://blog.archive.org/2020/11/19/flash-animations-live-forever-at-the-internet-archive/

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess that already looks better than shumway so maybe there's hope.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:actually: starts immediately in the comments

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/__apf__/status/1344468677245108226

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
do we have a brexit thread in yospos? i feel like this is going to be a deep vein to mine in future

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55475433

quote:

References to decades-old computer software are included in the new Brexit agreement, including a description of Netscape Communicator and Mozilla Mail as being "modern" services.

The document also recommends using 1024-bit RSA encryption and the SHA-1 hashing algorithm , which are both outdated and vulnerable to cyber-attacks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no thatcher already ended all mining

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I got asked to approve usage some weird vendor self packaged browser with an embedded flash player because "we need it to run the application used by internal audit". A solid lol from me on that one.

I said "if the security guys OK it then fine but I'm putting that in writing so if this gets busted don't say I didn't warn you"

this is exactly what avaya is doing for one of their call reporting tools... do you support a call center?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

senha

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

senha balls? :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Midjack posted:

“still works, why spend money to fix it?” education is notoriously poorly funded in the us.

lol yeah i remember education software being total dogshit back when i still worked for the school district

there was this one text-to-speech program that insisted on having either local admin, or if you didn't want to give the user account admin, you could give the user a whole bunch of permissions including full control over HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (???????)

the state testing software was super dogshit 64....

mystes posted:

It was great when computers always had old versions of the flash and java plugins with known security vulnerabilities installed and you couldn't even upgrade them unless you were an administrator.

i remember having to make sure a specific version of the java plugin was installed so that the state testing software would work properly. like, this was new loving software! it was under active development!! but we had to make sure some busted-rear end old version of java was installed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that's ancient history though. that poo poo was ten years ago. amazing to think it's been over ten years since i worked for the school district.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 31, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shame Boy posted:

what school district is that cuz the one i grew up in is so chronically underfunded and backwards that poo poo doesn't get updated for decades

hell when my mom retired from the school board they were still making the teachers input grades into an AS/400 via a terminal emulator, and that was like 5 years ago

oof. district i worked at moved off of their AS/400... in the late 2000s? bush might have still been in office. still remember installing those IBM terminal emulators though.

but, that migration was driven in significant part by the fact that they were going in on the replacement system together with a bunch of other districts at the same time, under the umbrella of some regional entity that provided services to the school districts, so it wasn't any single district bearing the cost of procurement, implementation, training, etc.

without that... i'm not gonna say for sure that they would still be using the AS/400, but it definitely would have come at least a few years later.

interesting they're making the teachers wrangle those green-screen emulators though. i seem to recall our district would have secretaries and/or (in the case of the middle/high schools) counselors doing the formal grade entry. man, they could really fly through those character interface menus.

we actually still had a rack full of old tape backups from the old AS/400 system, which might have been one of the early CISC models. they were a bunch of old personnel records that i think we were required by law to retain for ages and there was significant doubt as to whether we'd be able to actually fire up the old AS/400 and the cabinet-sized tape drive to pull data any more. we got a new IT director and he spent like a year or two trying to get approval to send the tapes off to be converted into a readable format or something. finally the administration said, hey, that's just a digital copy of the paper records we've got in the basement, right? just shred the tapes. so they got shredded.

those paper copies? sat in an unlocked and unmonitored room, known to have flooded in the past, in the basement of a building which had been condemned following the 1993 earthquake and which the facilities manager had been repeatedly heard to say he wouldn't want to be in when the next earthquake hit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

trustno1

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the department store I worked for in the mid 00s used some homebrew mainframe system

got hella fast at the screens for inventory, timeslips, etc. still remember a bunch of them, like 393-25 was check out, 393-05 was change shelves for stock

also touch typing EANs was ten times faster than using the garbage barcode readers

for the sec gently caress, I "found" the screen for intra-dept orders, so I'd treat my coworkers w free pizza if the manager skipped out early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the department store I worked for in the mid 00s used some homebrew mainframe system

got hella fast at the screens for inventory, timeslips, etc. still remember a bunch of them, like 393-25 was check out, 393-05 was change shelves for stock

also touch typing EANs was ten times faster than using the garbage barcode readers

for the sec gently caress, I "found" the screen for intra-dept orders, so I'd treat my coworkers w free pizza if the manager skipped out early

blessed secfuck