Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The maneuvering thrusters alone can impart at least 1 g of acceleration, so staying afloat around Ganymede is no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Great thread, love reading your observations Son of Sam-I-Am! My wife and I started this series about a year ago, and decided to read the books before continuing. We finally both finished book 8 and the novellas this past week and are now ready to dive back in to the series. I think we left off around episode 5 or 6 of s2, so not too far to get caught up with the thread.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

S2E13 Caliban's War

I'm feeling the episode title for this one is sort of like Yoda's line at the end of Attack of the Clones, "Begun, the Clone War has," in that we've seen the first salvo and we're on the precipice of a great war, but also the Calibans seem to be tools or weapons like the clones. Hey, just relating it to what I know, don't judge.

Watching these at a more protracted pace has its drawbacks, namely that I don't catch all the details from one episode to the next, but I'm pretty sure the coffin-like enclosure with Prax's daughter in it was the same sort they saw on Ganymede. Where's the new base of operations, looks to my fascinated-with-astronomy-in-my-younger-years eyes to be Io.

Speaking of forgetting, or outright missing, details, I was never quite clear on the bodyguard's relationship with Avasarala until now. With their familiarity I had been working with him as an estranged son or something, so this clears a lot of things up.

Got a lot of questions about what's going on on Venus, of course. Col. Barack Obama and Australian Guy looked pretty surprised at being dissected, but the Martian ship's disappearance really should have clued them in.

The electrician holding the airlock with a deadman switch absolutely was going to get his jollies being shoved into a locker by Bobbie, great sell by the actor on that one when he asked for it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Funny, I just finished watching that ep ten minutes ago on my rewatch. Really enjoy that one. The stakes are so high and you reasonably can believe that many of the leads could see their demise. They did a great job of keeping you uncertain through the whole thing. Excellent tee up for the next season too. So much going on.

Did you notice anyone else notable floating around in Venus's atmosphere by chance? It's an Easter egg, not plot related.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I didn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a few eps of the new season just dropped, on amazon prime.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Did you notice anyone else notable floating around in Venus's atmosphere by chance? It's an Easter egg, not plot related.

Oh yeah, forgot about this, haha. Enlighten me?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about this, haha. Enlighten me?

Adam Savage is the navigator. He is a huge fan of the show and they let him do a cameo (and be killed wonderfully)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Had to look him up because I didn't recognize the name. Guy from MythBusters for anyone else in the cheap seats. No wonder I didn't notice him, I think I've seen a few clips of that show but that's all I would have known him from.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm back, after finishing up The Mandatorian.

S3E01: Fight or Flight

You had to know there was some protomolecule left on the ship despite their cleaning efforts. Got a question on their cleaning method, so like an acetylene torch takes care of the stuff? How much hotter is that compared to A. the surface of Venus, and then B. impacting same from space, after implausible acceleration?

I really like Bobbie's combat suit, kind of like an Iron Man type of thing. When her mag locks failed crawling up Mao's ship, I got a little bit of that falling feeling myself. Starting to wonder if shoved-in-locker guy is going to stick around for a while, definitely a character type that has not been featured much yet. Getting some Vila from Blake's 7 vibes from him.

I think I might have said it already, but Prax is moving up on my tier list of characters. He's just so earnest and sympathetic among the, uh, the rest of them, that I can hardly help it.

Alex's message to his family was kinda bittersweet, eh? wtf is he thinking, "I like being out here more than I like being with you, but don't worry I still love you?" Points for honesty I guess but I doubt that's very reassuring to them. And he really hasn't contacted them since the Donnager, so he's also like "hey I'm not dead" on top of it? I mean I like the guy but come on.

Question for you all, does anyone still feel like the spoiler tags are necessary? I was taking after the B5 blind watch thread, but there were multiple watchers in there, while this seems to be more of a voyeurs' gallery than a community of fellow-travelers. Any strong opinions?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Goblin Craft posted:

I'm back, after finishing up The Mandatorian.

S3E01: Fight or Flight

You had to know there was some protomolecule left on the ship despite their cleaning efforts. Got a question on their cleaning method, so like an acetylene torch takes care of the stuff? How much hotter is that compared to A. the surface of Venus, and then B. impacting same from space, after implausible acceleration?

A quick Google says that the surface of Venus averages around 880° F, while an acetylene torch reaches in excess of 4,000° F. I don't have the physics to guess at an atmospheric entry temperature, but I'd expect it would get a lot hotter, though the 7.25 trillion ton mass of Eros would probably soak up a lot of that heat.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Google says 3000 degrees for the space shuttle on reentry.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well shoot, I legit was going to watch one tonight but I don't remember the amazon password to sign back in, and my wife is asleep so I can't ask her.

Anyway to continue the previous discussion, reentry through the atmosphere is one thing, but I'm talking about the actual kinetic impact which I think would be a far greater energy release. There's not much left of Eros, I think.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

S3E2: IFF

For my own convenience I'm going to forego the spoiler tags from here on out, since no one really cared to object when I asked some time ago.

Well, Avasarala and Bobbie finally meet up with Holden & co. I have to ask, what was the point of Prax and Amos suiting up and sitting in the hold or whatever, hooked up to the ship's air supply? I don't remember that being standard procedure for combat situations before, although it seems it's been a few months since I last watched at this point. I guess they gotta pad the run time somehow with a little extra peril.

I also find it hard to believe a Belter like Naomi would need to have IFF explained to her; Prax would've been the more obvious choice for an ignorant audience surrogate on that one.

Welcome, Juliet Anna. So far she and Dr. Marvin Candle, er, Pierre Chang Jules-Pierre Mao seem to be playing more or less the same characters here as in Lost, not that that's a bad thing. Her line about visiting the sins of the fathers on their children, "you know we've had a whole testament since then," is a good burn, but if she actually knew her scriptures, she would've said we've had two testaments since then. It says in a few places that God will allow the consequences of sins to afflict the third and fourth generations, but it also says man shall not do that (plus there's that whole repentance thing).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They depressurized the cabin because they assumed they'd be taking enough fire to vent their atmosphere, if I recall. Can't lose all your air if the ship isn't pressurized.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, standard procedure. They were just sitting down in the machine shop instead of in the bridge. They never really explain why they vent the atmosphere but I've always assumed it's to prevent fires, and because atmosphere spraying out of a hole in the side of the ship means you have an assortment of brand new, uncontrollable RCS thrusters.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hm, I guess I just missed that Alex and the rest must have also been in suits then. Watching it on a 6" phone instead of a 65" TV has its drawbacks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ok, just started watching the next episode of this (S3E3) and they show me an ad for what can only be a later season. Thanks, Amazon. 'Preciate it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

S3E3 Assured Destruction

Is it just me, or did Errenwright have just the smallest hint of a smirk, as the report came in that that railgun launch delay was precipitated by standing down earlier? One wonders if he anticipated or even arranged for such a thing.

Fully anticipated the admiral commanding the Agatha King would get shot by the fleet admiral. There's always next episode, eh?

After meeting Prax's daughter and finding that human connection with the kids, I also knew Mao would at least get cold feet, but didn't expect him to outright order the hybrid experiments canceled quite so soon.

Absolutely no surprise, however, when Avasarala's bodyguard (I've forgotten his name over the last few months, my apologies) killed his Martian, uh, benefactor/fellow escapee.

I think I just about hit those in the exact reverse chronological order; well, that pretty much sums up my day. Good night.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Goblin Craft posted:

Ok, just started watching the next episode of this (S3E3) and they show me an ad for what can only be a later season. Thanks, Amazon. 'Preciate it.

I've been watching through with some friends who haven't seen it and I have to have my trigger finger hot to skip those adds before they can reveal too much, just the worst.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the Amazon ads are bad about poo poo like that. I got one for season 5 when I was an episode or two into season 1 when I started watching it a month or so ago.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

S3E4: Reload

Ok, I'm not normally squeamish, but unless you folks can tell me I won't see anything like the end of this episode again, I'm out. Thanks for the nightmares.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Goblin Craft posted:

S3E4: Reload

Ok, I'm not normally squeamish, but unless you folks can tell me I won't see anything like the end of this episode again, I'm out. Thanks for the nightmares.

That's about the worst I think.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I don’t think there’s anything on that level again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's one other fairly bloody moment coming up in a few episodes, but it's different and IMO much less gross.

About Reload: In the book version, that's basically what the protomolecule does in Eros. It's not glowy blue poo poo, it's the reshaped and repurposed bodies of all the inhabitants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I legit cannot remember what was so gross at the end of that episode.

Its not Moneo

Tonight i'm going to start reading the first book, I've been feeling withdrawls after binging the whole series before my Prime ran out and waiting for the 6th season.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I had had some other thoughts about the episode until then, but they went straight out the window. I'm not gonna lie, and kudos to the art design team if you can call it that, but that was extremely disturbing.

After Errenwright's dual 180s last season, Mao's renewed heel turn felt a little cheapened; that's definitely a tool better used seldom. Possibly the gruesome chaser lessened its impact, I'm still trying to avoid digesting that for a little while.

In the opening scene the Belters cut through a hatch on the Nauvoo to begin salvage efforts, but they just leave the severed slab to float free with no effort to secure it, and it's not small. A scene or two later, Amos even draws attention to Prax letting a tool go as well.

Did they end up transferring any fuel from the beheaded Martian ship, or just ammo? They were running on fumes and mentioned it a few times, even after being hooked up and while the Martian survivors were succumbing to Bobbie's people skills.

I got a chuckle out of Anna's partner gently mocking her about the irony of thinking God was using an interplanetary war to humble her.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I legit cannot remember what was so gross at the end of that episode.

Its not Moneo

Tonight i'm going to start reading the first book, I've been feeling withdrawls after binging the whole series before my Prime ran out and waiting for the 6th season.

It's the protomolecule kid having "disassembled" his nurse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Goblin Craft posted:

It's the protomolecule kid having "disassembled" his nurse.

I forgot that was in that episode. Some Hellraiser poo poo there.

Drummer and her crew probably secured the slab they cut off screen. Probably even welded it back in place.

And I'm sure they took ammo due to a scene in an upcoming episode.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well I saw them taking ammo, and talking about it. I just either missed any talk of replenishing their fuel, or there wasn't any.

And it just was a strange oversight re: the slab, in juxtaposition with Amos and Prax in a closely following scene.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Goblin Craft posted:

After Errenwright's dual 180s last season, Mao's renewed heel turn felt a little cheapened; that's definitely a tool better used seldom. P

I never really bought that Errinwright was having second thoughts or changing his stance, personally. He always seemed a little too smiles-and-daggers from jump, always in it for himself. Mao, I think, has second thoughts before doubling down because he's convinced himself that humans are under an existential threat, so that one felt more believable to me even if it comes second.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I never really bought that Errinwright was having second thoughts or changing his stance, personally. He always seemed a little too smiles-and-daggers from jump, always in it for himself.

It worked on me. I honestly thought he was about to have a moment of redemption for a bit there.

You know something I've never understood is, why didn't the Belters just go secure the Nauvoo immediately after the failed asteroid-bumping? Hell, why didn't the Mormons do that? This immensely valuable ship is just hanging around in space and it takes months for anyone to go try and salvage it? Why? Maybe it's explained in the books?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Goblin Craft posted:

I had had some other thoughts about the episode until then, but they went straight out the window. I'm not gonna lie, and kudos to the art design team if you can call it that, but that was extremely disturbing.

Do a Hannibal blind watch next

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

showbiz_liz posted:

It worked on me. I honestly thought he was about to have a moment of redemption for a bit there.

You know something I've never understood is, why didn't the Belters just go secure the Nauvoo immediately after the failed asteroid-bumping? Hell, why didn't the Mormons do that? This immensely valuable ship is just hanging around in space and it takes months for anyone to go try and salvage it? Why? Maybe it's explained in the books?

Biggest ship ever made. You wanna stop that, it's gonna take a lot resources. Mormons don't have that, and it took the semi-unification of the OPA to get the gear to do it all in one place.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I never really bought that Errinwright was having second thoughts or changing his stance, personally. He always seemed a little too smiles-and-daggers from jump, always in it for himself. Mao, I think, has second thoughts before doubling down because he's convinced himself that humans are under an existential threat, so that one felt more believable to me even if it comes second.

I guess I can't remember whether Errenwright was ever in private while expressing his apparent remorse, so I'll concede that much at least. But for me, Mao's compassion for the kids turning into "nevermind, we need more of this" when he's staring at a, uh, deconstructed human and its various bits on display, struck me as more than a little cartoonish. I half expected him to spontaneously manifest a glorious mustache in order to twirl it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've always felt like Errinwright was genuine when he confessed to Avarasala, couldn't see a way out and was hoping she'd pull strings to get him off lightly. When she told him he'd be strung out to dry and that she was visiting Mao's ship, he saw the way forward and jumped on it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I haven't watched an episode recently, but I do have an update for the thread that is tangentially related. My wife came home today with, near enough, the exact same hairstyle as Naomi's, and it looks just as good on her. I'm 100% sure she didn't do it on purpose, she doesn't like the show and probably doesn’t even remember Naomi.

And I'm not going to bring it up, either.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

quote:

I really like Bobbie's combat suit, kind of like an Iron Man type of thing.

It's been forever since I've read the books but I remember being disappointed with it. I had been picturing something much more bulky and heavy, but it ended up looking pretty much like the spacesuits everyone else wears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah the book suits were way cooler and much more powerful.