Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

i graduated in 97 and there were like 13 matts in our graduating class of 170.

new parents in '79 were incredibly boring.

is this better or worse than the lakynn crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Improbable Lobster posted:

onpe of my college courses had 7 matts, so i was matt b

at my job there were enough of us with the same first name we used numbers, initials, and one guy just used a different name entirely

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres a reason i basically irl namechanged to matty when i started at fastly. there were like 40 matts in the company

it worked too

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

about a decade ago my husband and i joined a friend circle that already had a big james and a little james, so they struggled for a while on how to refer to him. they all agreed that new james was out of the question though since new coke sucked, so they eventually settled on james classic (or just classic for short).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

medium james

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smol james

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

in a group of 10 or more white men there is a) always at least one double name necessitating either fullnaming or last naming and b) there will be maybe three people per ten tops not named jeff/james/rob/scott/joe/mark/chris

not exclusive to white guys, it seems to happen anytime you have a group of local-majority dudes. fun times in jakarta that month. never seen it happen with women outside the us but we had 8 girls named casey and 6 jessicas in my high school graduating class of 180.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

he was actually larger than big james so that would've required a complete reorg

giant james

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bideo james

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

my siblings have always called him jame because they don't understand why its plural and i'm starting to see the value in that

too many james

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pastor of muppets posted:

he was actually larger than big james so that would've required a complete reorg

giant james
big james in the back with so much soul
make snacks and operate the remote control

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my first name collision was when i was born with my dad, which was solved with "big achmed" and "little achmed," and occasionally use of our middle initials (which are different, obviously).

i didnt run into another collision until college. i was achmed 2.0, usually "two point oh" for short

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my name david. I volunteered in an election campaign a couple of years ago where there were so many of us, people would start just shouting "david" when they wanted the attention of a dude they didn't recognize, and it often worked

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

there's a family of 5 brothers at one of my jobs who has slowly cycled almost the entire family through, and we had big dudguy, little dudeguy, baby dudeguy, and fetus dudeguy. we don't know what's going to happen once the 5th brother becomes a playable character

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

theres a reason i basically irl namechanged to matty when i started at fastly. there were like 40 matts in the company

it worked too

you could have gone for “mattly” for enhanced brand congruity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my new app mattr

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

A friend I met in chemistry class ages 16 has the same name as me (first words "hi I'm X" "oh poo poo me too") so we called each other "Other X" which actually worked really well but got to the point where our parents would say things like "Oh X, Other X called"

20+ years later we still do it also holy gently caress 20 years where has my life gone

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

A friend I met in chemistry class ages 16 has the same name as me (first words "hi I'm X" "oh poo poo me too") so we called each other "Other X" which actually worked really well but got to the point where our parents would say things like "Oh X, Other X called"

20+ years later we still do it also holy gently caress 20 years where has my life gone

sounds like you two had some real

chemistry

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

FMguru posted:

big james in the back with so much soul
make snacks and operate the remote control

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gen x is davids and jennifers as far as the eye can see

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casual Encountess posted:

there's a family of 5 brothers at one of my jobs who has slowly cycled almost the entire family through, and we had big dudguy, little dudeguy, baby dudeguy, and fetus dudeguy. we don't know what's going to happen once the 5th brother becomes a playable character

obviously zygote dudeguy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
gas thread make a '21 one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

not sure where the davids came from but this is the source of all the jennifers, reportedly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Story_(1970_film)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

not sure where the davids came from but this is the source of all the jennifers, reportedly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Story_(1970_film)

my sister was born in 75 and is named jennifer so checks out

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Chris Knight posted:

i work with two daves but they’re at least dave and david

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wow cloudpunk is aesthetic as gently caress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/TheStuffOfMemes/status/1343486265317085191?s=20

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

my vision is augmented

having augmentin for an eye infection isnt the same thing friend

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

and jasons, forgot all those. can't think of another super popular girls name though.

I rewatched the original "the getaway" recently and it dawned on me that my parents were the same ages as Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/thenoelmiller/status/1344052253502570496?s=21

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i work with two daves but they’re at least dave and david

i can't even imagine XD

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

first crack at a tag for next year's thread, based on the johnny mnemonic opening:

i'll see if i can do an animated one that doesn't look like crap. i am not good at animation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

okay this turned out much better than i was afraid it would:

it's the couple of seconds of johnny mnemonic just before the "internet-2021" text comes up overlaid with the text here. helvetica font since it was the closest match for the typeface in the movie that i have on my computer.

yes? no? ideas to improve?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

it's the couple of seconds of johnny mnemonic just before the "internet-2021" text comes up overlaid with the text here. helvetica font since it was the closest match for the typeface in the movie that i have on my computer.

i like it as it is and would enjoy it tag style

i was going to suggest a fade over loop but idk if thatll look too jumpy and also push the size too far

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i like it as it is and would enjoy it tag style

i was going to suggest a fade over loop but idk if thatll look too jumpy and also push the size too far

i tried to do that but i only have 35 frames of video that isn’t swinging the camera all over the place before the movie starts fading its text in and i thought it either made the fades too fast or slowed the video down too much.

it’s only 181k so there’s some room if we need it.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Midjack posted:

thumbs up from me!

https://twitter.com/shackle_ton/status/1344573304607182848

Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Midjack posted:

it's good