Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wamdoodle posted:

Shy Guys curator name is is Gold Plated Games also has a website: https://goldplatedgames.com/

I can't find "Gold Plated Games" when I search for curator names; when I search for just "Gold" there are only two curators listed. Halp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's Gold-Plated games with a hyphen. Steam's search is terrible.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm in the mood for some good point-and click adventures.

I already have all the Space Quest games, the Monkey Island games, the Sam and Max games, The Dig, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Book of Unwritten Tales series, Broken Sword 1-3, the first two Deponia games (probably not buying the third), Firewatch, Gone Home, Heaven's Vault, INFRA, J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, Maize, Obduction, Primordia, Resonance, Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and probably a few others.

EDIT: I also have The Sexy Brutale, Full Throttle and Disco Elysium.

Other than those, are there any good point-and-click adventure games on sale which may have slipped under the radar?

If you like classic LucasArts games then you absolutely have to play Thimbleweed Park. It's Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick from all the late-80s and early-90s LucasArts adventure games going back and creating a love letter to those games using the old Maniac Mansion verbs, kind of like what Shovel Night was to 8-bit platformers in that it's freed from the technical limitations of the time and has decades of advancement in game design to draw upon so it feels like your fond memories of playing those games without all the frustrating parts of actually playing them. Also it's really dense with jokes, like the type of silly humor where if you're playing it with a friend who is on the same wavelength you'll be cracking up out loud every few minutes when you get a particularly good response option or encounter a character that will let you cycle through a bunch of terrible dad jokes about postal workers or when everyone in the game makes fun of a character's annoying speech affectation. It's also set in 1987 and it takes advantage of that for a lot of anachronistic humor, like the owner of a store dedicated entirely to selling vaccum tubes asking you for ideas on what to name their store and one of the choices being "You Tube" or a character citing a large amount of money and then clarifying how much that would be worth in 2017 money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIBtJBzkOo

One thing I adore about it is that it has an option to choose whether or not you want "annoying in-jokes" in the game, so if you're someone with no nostalgia for that era or the kind of person who rolls their eyes at Maniac Mansion references you can just do away with them. Also it has a really robust in-game hint system where you can use any phone in the game to dial an in-universe tip line and get a series of progressively more specific and instructive hints for any puzzle or obstacle in the game until they finally just tell you exactly what verbs to use where and in what order, it makes dealing with those classic leaps of logic a lot more forgivable when you can decide exactly how much you want to engage with them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Deakul posted:

It's been a while though, maybe I'll give it another shot using cheat engine to mass collect everything.

Absolutely do this. EDF loving owns and I will make apologies for all sorts of poo poo in it but the armor grind and no auto pickup on mission end loving sucks. Just cheat engine yourself a decent chunk of armor and then set armor limits in the lobby when you start so whatever difficulty you're playing on remains fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hub Cat posted:

It's Gold-Plated games with a hyphen. Steam's search is terrible.

I can't believe the hyphen threw the search engine off :doh: Also, I didn't realize that was part of it!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Deakul posted:

How is it these days population-wise? I hope there's a more balanced amount of newish players and vets.

Definitely a lot of vets but there’s a regular small trickle of newbies whenever the game goes on sale. I regularly get stomped by g100s but I also have matches where I hold my own or do well. I’d say it’s an even split between being on the winning or losing team for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you mean having to see everyone slowly move around and activate their special moves all at once, which feels like minutes for each turn, I am pretty sure the first game now can skip that and go straight to the damage numbers. The first game is still incredibly slow and clunky and I recommend watching the story cutscenes instead. Disgaea 2 is a huge improvement and the Item World music is kicking. Phantom Brave is worth it and it is so cheap. Even has an alternate storyline.

Each of the Xenosaga games annoyed me to no end in their own way and Shion is one of the worst protag characters I ever saw and hated her in X3.

Disgaea 5 has the best QOL changes and is a great game.

Dunno why anyone would play the older titles at this point honestly, unless they already know they like it and will put up with some of the weird / clunky poo poo.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Deakul posted:

Battlefield as a franchise isn't even really worth checking out anymore since the latest entries are hacker havens, all of the Day of Defeat-esque games are dead, Medal of Honor has been dead, the historical Call of Duties are mostly dead or loaded with servers that have dumb rules, and that probably covers it?

The latest Call of Duty is set during the 80s which is pretty historical unless you specifically mean set during WW2. It's also on sale until Jan 4th or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

There are so many good modern point and click adventure games it's insane.

Titles I haven't seen mentioned yet, in no particular order:
Primordia
Thumbleweed Park
Truberbrook
The Shivah
The Journey Down
The Dream Machine

The Game Forum Game Club's theme for November-December was point-and-click adventure games...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sab669 posted:

Disgaea 5 has the best QOL changes and is a great game.

Dunno why anyone would play the older titles at this point honestly, unless they already know they like it and will put up with some of the weird / clunky poo poo.

I have a buddy that refuses to play any game series without playing every game in order, it's the wildest poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is making me crave good SHMUPs - anyone got any recs? What's missing from this list?

note: The easier the better, I suck at these!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I have a buddy that refuses to play any game series without playing every game in order, it's the wildest poo poo.

Hope he never gets into Final Fantasy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is making me crave good SHMUPs - anyone got any recs? What's missing from this list?

You are missing the top of the top: Ikaruga, Mushihimesama, and ZeroRanger.

Other than those, you have the awesome Crimzon Clover which you should play. It's a class act.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

You are missing the top of the top: Ikaruga, Mushihimesama, and ZeroRanger.

Other than those, you have the awesome Crimzon Clover which you should play. It's a class act.

I'd heard that Ikaruga is SUPER hard! Should I still try it? Mushihimesama is on the ol' wishlist, and...I don't think I know of ZeroRanger! Gonna go look it up.

As for Crimzon Clover:

It's been a while since I last played it, but drat is it good!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GreenNight posted:

Hope he never gets into Final Fantasy.

Haha, he's a greybeard who's always been current on Final Fantasy, luckily for him.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd heard that Ikaruga is SUPER hard! Should I still try it?

Well, yeah, it gets hard. But you improve by playing, so if you don't get frustrated easily you should eventually beat it. It's a short game.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Ikaruga is hard, but it's a lot of fun still. The version I played would eventually unlock a mode with unlimited continues too. So you still get to see the whole thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My wishlist is now stocked with that and some of the OG Touhous, thanks!

Let me know if I'm missing anything else, I love hoarding genres!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

How is it these days population-wise? I hope there's a more balanced amount of newish players and vets.

Last time I played Titanfall 2 a couple months ago it was an exercise in misery, being repeatedly torn to bits by max rank people but that may depend on your individual skill.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doctor Nutt posted:

sounds like they would fit right in with the steam thread

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

My wishlist is now stocked with that and some of the OG Touhous, thanks!

Let me know if I'm missing anything else, I love hoarding genres!

Ah shoot, I forgot Straimium Immortaly! It is a roguelike, shmup, dungeoncrawler (dev's description). The imagery and presentation is bizarro LSD brain-melting in a good way. It's less than $5 right now.

The dev does all kinds of really cool and quirky small games. All are very inexpensive and he continues updating them for years and years after release.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 31, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Boiling Bolt
In Extremis
Velocity Ultra
WITCH-BOT MEGLILO

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's been a few years since release, but did Square Enix ever make Chrono Trigger on Steam good? I remember it getting panned pretty hard.

It's on sale for cheap and it's one of the seminal JRPGs I've never played.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Steam recommended a neat new deckbuilder called Fights in Tight Spaces. There's a free demo and the game comes out in 2021. It's basically Slay the Spire meets Into the Breach. You build your deck to move your guy around the room and fight. You can see what the enemies are going to do so you can position them to hit each other. It's as much puzzle game as it is a deckbuilder. There are branching paths, events, upgrades, all the usual stuff. The minimal graphics work well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

OhFunny posted:

It's been a few years since release, but did Square Enix ever make Chrono Trigger on Steam good? I remember it getting panned pretty hard.

It's on sale for cheap and it's one of the seminal JRPGs I've never played.

Yeah, it took a few patches but they fixed it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

StrixNebulosa posted:

Assault Android Cactus!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jamestown's progression/unlock system is probably the closest to Void Rains, it's not quite as compelling or as central a part of the game but starting on easy and then unlocking new stages and bonus levels by making your way through the harder versions of levels and getting coins you can use to unlock more ships and costumes and goofy farcical redone cutscenes is probably the closest any other shmup I've ever tried has gotten.

Also one thing it has that Void Rains doesn't is mouse controls and I kind of hope that's something that it adds eventually because it feels more comfy to get to play a game like this one-handed.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drizvolta posted:

The latest Call of Duty is set during the 80s which is pretty historical unless you specifically mean set during WW2. It's also on sale until Jan 4th or something.

Black Ops Cold War is about as "historical" as the world's worst Tom Clancy novel, not one actually written by him, but one of those terrible post-death ghost-written schlockfests.

Then again maybe the one where the super cool Tier-1 agents in training pull Glocks out of their fanny picks in the middle of a mall when terrorists suddenly attack and go wild'n'out is probably about the level of "historical" you'd expect from BOCWar.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I am a fan of Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics, I decided to give Horizon's Gate a shot. Battles are pretty similar to the previous games, but this time you also manage ships and cargo for trading and surviving. The story has been light so far which I appreciate. In the first hour I was able to buy a new ship, hire a crew of five, and be on my way. The goal is to build exploration, trade, and combat fame through discovering ports, helping locals, and moving cargo. If you are a fan of tile/grid battle systems with jobs like FFT, this game may be for you. There are 35 classes with 5 abilities and 3 passives each. You can have a primary and sub class to mix and match skills.

I am impressed a solo dev made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0So11Ag-Vo

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's honestly not even that the narratives of his games are that nonsensical when you summarize them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah, it took a few patches but they fixed it.

Cool! Good to know.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Black Ops Cold War is about as "historical" as the world's worst Tom Clancy novel, not one actually written by him, but one of those terrible post-death ghost-written schlockfests.

Then again maybe the one where the super cool Tier-1 agents in training pull Glocks out of their fanny picks in the middle of a mall when terrorists suddenly attack and go wild'n'out is probably about the level of "historical" you'd expect from BOCWar.

:shrug: they said they wanted arcady shooting and didn't want to touch hardcore stuff, I figured the historical bit of the question was more aesthetics than actual concrete history

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drizvolta posted:

:shrug: they said they wanted arcady shooting and didn't want to touch hardcore stuff, I figured the historical bit of the question was more aesthetics than actual concrete history

to be fair, its not your fault. scrolling back to the OP, they're simply loving hopeless and nothing will satisfy them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jets 'n' Guns
Tyrian 2000
Bio-Hazard Battle

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 31, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Since I am a fan of Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics, I decided to give Horizon's Gate a shot. Battles are pretty similar to the previous games, but this time you also manage ships and cargo for trading and surviving.

What's the balance of tactical fights to sailing? I could totally go for a big ol' sailing and trading game, but this looks more like mebe 20-30% sailing, 70% brawling?

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 31, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone here used IndieGala, GameBillet or GamersGate? I'm cross-referencing games I'm thinking about buying on IsThereAnyDeal to see if I can get some games for cheaper and without having to pay sales tax.

GamersGate I've heard of before, but GameBillet is new to me. GameBillet has a high rating on TrustPilot, but I wanted to ask if anybody had issues with purchasing anything from it before. Recently, I've had trouble making purchases from GOG and Fanatical since (at least with the former) the transaction is outside of the US.

I think I've bought something from IndieGala before, but I can't remember for sure.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Last time I played Titanfall 2 a couple months ago it was an exercise in misery, being repeatedly torn to bits by max rank people but that may depend on your individual skill.

I recently played a bunch of both games in multiplayer, though that was on Xbox. My impression is that TF2 has more of the serious high rank players that dedicate themselves to it, whereas TF1 has a much more mixed skill gap - even though both games have tiny player counts at this point.

TF1 has the smart pistol which is great for less skilled or agile players and allows them to contribute to the team by focusing on the grunts or going for objectives without engaging too much in player combat. It's such a great idea that no other game decided to pick up on.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here used IndieGala, GameBillet or GamersGate? I'm cross-referencing games I'm thinking about buying on IsThereAnyDeal to see if I can get some games for cheaper and without having to pay sales tax.

GamersGate I've heard of before, but GameBillet is new to me. GameBillet has a high rating on TrustPilot, but I wanted to ask if anybody had issues with purchasing anything from it before. Recently, I've had trouble making purchases from GOG and Fanatical since (at least with the former) the transaction is outside of the US.

I think I've bought something from IndieGala before, but I can't remember for sure.

Yes to all three, and they're legit. Any site you see linked on IsThereAnyDeal is going to be legit, AFAIK. If your bank or credit card company is touchy about foreign transactions just use the PayPal option.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 31, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Imagined posted:

Yes to all three, and they're legit. Any site you see linked on IsThereAnyDeal is going to be legit, AFAIK. If your bank or credit card company is touchy about foreign transactions just use the PayPal option.

I've actually have been using PayPal as a buffer of sorts for purchases for a long time now, but just recently, my bank flags and blocks foreign transactions, even through PayPal. Maybe something's changed on PayPal's end? The purchases still went through eventually, but it made me worry that it was going to cause issues.

Saoshyant posted:

GameBillet and GamersGate are European stores, AFAIK. If that's an issue for your bank, then you aren't going to have better luck with these two either.

My plan was to try and make purchases from those sites and any others (GOG, Fanatical, GMG) through my other card (credit), with the assumption that the purchases (hopefully) will go through without any hitches.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Recently, I've had trouble making purchases from GOG and Fanatical since (at least with the former) the transaction is outside of the US.

GameBillet and GamersGate are European stores, AFAIK. If that's an issue for your bank, then you aren't going to have better luck with these two either.