Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the balance of tactical fights to sailing? I could totally go for a big ol' sailing and trading game, but this looks more like mebe 20-30% sailing, 70% brawling?

That's entirely up to you. There's also an entire naval combat system, with all these different ship types and weapons you can attach to different parts of your ships. It's like a turn-based version of Pirates! combat, lots of trying to line up broadsides, but you can also fight sea monsters.

You have to do a lot of sailing in any case, everything is spread out across the world map. If anything, the balance was too far in the other direction, the latest update added a repeatable proc gen dungeon so you can do more combat without having to sail so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I've actually have been using PayPal as a buffer of sorts for purchases for a long time now, but just recently, my bank flags and blocks foreign transactions, even through PayPal. Maybe something's changed on PayPal's end? The purchases still went through eventually, but it made me worry that it was going to cause issues.

My plan was to try and make purchases from those sites and any others (GOG, Fanatical, GMG) through my other card (credit), with the assumption that the purchases (hopefully) will go through without any hitches.

Can you use your debit card to just add funds straight to your PayPal wallet, and then just use that balance for purchases?

As far as I've ever heard, as long as you have the discipline to pay off your balance quickly, it's always better to use a credit card for online purchases versus a debit card, because getting a refund/chargeback for fraud/bullshit is easy and instantaneous on the former versus a God drat month-long kafkaesque nightmare on the latter.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 31, 2020

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd heard that Ikaruga is SUPER hard! Should I still try it?

when i was a young man whose hands weren't riddled with arthritis, i played a lot of shooters. i was never amazing at them. i was so hyped that the "spiritual successor" to Radiant Silvergun was getting released in NA on a console i owned. i got Ikaruga day 1. and i pumped dozens of hours into it before coming to the realization that it's not really that good. it's not terrible, by any means, but i wouldn't recommend playing it when you have so many better shooters that can eat up your time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Begemot posted:

That's entirely up to you. There's also an entire naval combat system, with all these different ship types and weapons you can attach to different parts of your ships. It's like a turn-based version of Pirates! combat, lots of trying to line up broadsides, but you can also fight sea monsters.

You have to do a lot of sailing in any case, everything is spread out across the world map. If anything, the balance was too far in the other direction, the latest update added a repeatable proc gen dungeon so you can do more combat without having to sail so much.

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the mini-review. :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone else have issues with My Time at Portia stuttering when doing certain actions? I'm certain I have more than enough power, and it only happens when an attack connects, I kick a tree, etc.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Tweedle posted:

when i was a young man whose hands weren't riddled with arthritis, i played a lot of shooters. i was never amazing at them. i was so hyped that the "spiritual successor" to Radiant Silvergun was getting released in NA on a console i owned. i got Ikaruga day 1. and i pumped dozens of hours into it before coming to the realization that it's not really that good. it's not terrible, by any means, but i wouldn't recommend playing it when you have so many better shooters that can eat up your time.

There are actually some old 2001/2002 Shupulations interviews linked in Ikaruga's wikipedia entry that talk about how at the time of the game's original release in Japan reactions were comparatively mixed and it was only years later that it built up its reputation and began to be heralded as an instant classic, so you're definitely not alone.

I think a big part of why Ikaruga was so well-regarded and able to build up such a reputation is because the Dreamcast/PS2 era was the nadir of a dry spell for shmups that began when arcades died and ended when digital distro like Xbox Live Arcade and Steam began, so having anything new and modern was a boon. Kind of like how the adventure game genre was dead at the same time so games like Shadow of Memories and Indigo Prophecy managed to do pretty well for themselves just off the novelty of being new adventure games with contemporary production values when by any objective standard they're garbage stories with a ton of frustrating bullshit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ikaruga is not a shoot'em up as much as it is a puzzle game.

No, no, come back, hear me out. COME BACK!

The enemy patterns (which are always the same) are planned out in a way that you can always get 3 of each colour (to get the combo) to maximise your gauge/score, so after you eat a lot of poo poo trying to play it like a bullet hell and finally finish it, you can replay the levels until you can do poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

(Yes, that's one person playing both ships)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To everyone who has told me SHMUPs: thank you so much! I'm opening them all up in tabs and going through them. We'll see what sticks and makes it to my cart, but \o/ more games!

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

To everyone who has told me SHMUPs: thank you so much! I'm opening them all up in tabs and going through them. We'll see what sticks and makes it to my cart, but \o/ more games!

Gonna throw in a +1 for ZeroRanger here. It's really good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm going to throw in my late hat for Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It's an old DOS game, not a modern SHMUP, but it's one of the most fun ones I've ever played.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
+1ing Jets ‘n’ Guns and the sequel. They’re stupid fun and I love constantly changing my load out as new guns unlock and old ones go obsolete. You’re always adapting to new play styles because of that.

Also the soundtracks both own and are absurdly cheesy in equal measure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

holy poo poo I didn't know Jets n' Guns is on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/262260/JetsnGuns_Gold/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9598/JetsnGuns_12_Bundle/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It’s been on there since... at least 2014, I think? I remember getting it free in like 2007 from a link on this site and it’s been my favorite Shmup since then so when it hit Steam I dropped copies on so many people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm going to throw in my late hat for Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It's an old DOS game, not a modern SHMUP, but it's one of the most fun ones I've ever played.
I will second this, mostly for the progression. You get access to some pretty great-feeling weapons in that game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drizvolta posted:

:shrug: they said they wanted arcady shooting and didn't want to touch hardcore stuff, I figured the historical bit of the question was more aesthetics than actual concrete history

Yeah, it's definitely more about aesthetics, love me some older weapons, vehicles, and war torn locales.

I think I might give Cold War a shot for 40 bucks, the Combined Arms mode looks pretty neat!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

I will second this, mostly for the progression. You get access to some pretty great-feeling weapons in that game.
Yeah, the sense of progression in particular is amazing. There is great enemy variety, at least 30 stages (each with its own boss) and it is also a very good-looking game, with lovely pixel art.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

gently caress, I remember playing a shareware version of that game and loving it back in the day. Lots of great memories.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

only shmup I ever got into was Einhander. have any games ever ripped it off since then? especially its presentation. I played it on an emulator recently and it still holds up.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Einhander rules.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt think actual shmup nerds liked ikaruga

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Awesome! posted:

i didnt think actual shmup nerds liked ikaruga

I am a shmup nerd and I dont like Ikaruga, but i respect it

Now that i think about it, im an okay shmup nerd, but i think my favorite is and has always been Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

My friend recently gave me their old Razer Blackwidow Elite keyboard, and it has a lot of great features- most importantly, the switches feel excellent.

But it seems to just not register key strikes for a second or so with disappointing frequency, several times an hour at least. I’ve reproduced this behavior on two different systems. Is there anything I can do about that?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I had Silpheed: The Lost Planet for PS2, but haven't played one of those games since. What's the darling of the SHMUP world right now?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If I've only played the original Halo when it first came out on the Xbox and have zero interest in Halo multiplayer whatsoever, just the campaigns, which (if any) of the Halo remakes are worth playing?

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Tyrian 2000 is free on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anonymous Robot posted:

My friend recently gave me their old Razer Blackwidow Elite keyboard, and it has a lot of great features- most importantly, the switches feel excellent.

But it seems to just not register key strikes for a second or so with disappointing frequency, several times an hour at least. I’ve reproduced this behavior on two different systems. Is there anything I can do about that?

Is it wireless? Could be interference, try shortening the distance to the receiver

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is it wireless? Could be interference, try shortening the distance to the receiver

It’s USB. I have a few ideas in mind:

1) checking my device manager to see if it’s cycling usb power off automatically for any reason.
2) try taking this off my usb hub and putting it directly into the pc. Seems like an easy fix, but I need all my accessories to connect to a switch board to facilitate changing between my work and home machine smoothly, so it would be annoying if this solves it.
2) uninstalling the accessory software. In my experience, at least with logitech, these programs are shoddy jobs that impede the basic functioning of the device.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreatGreen posted:

If I've only played the original Halo when it first came out on the Xbox and have zero interest in Halo multiplayer whatsoever, just the campaigns, which (if any) of the Halo remakes are worth playing?

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach all have great campaigns but 1 stands alone in how it feels. 4 sucks.

You can buy them piecemeal so if you want get Halo 1/Anniversary (however it's listed, Anniversary overlays new graphics on top but you can toggle it off and also toggle off the remastered audio if you like) then just go from there. If you have gamepass the Master Chief Collection contains them all now as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Did they ever fix the audio or does it still sound like absolute garbage on PC?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Did they ever fix the audio or does it still sound like absolute garbage on PC?
It still sounds like garbage. As for the original question, Halo 1 campaign felt boring as hell to me both in the 2000s and now on replay, but Halo 2 has a lot of improvements and a pretty good singleplayer campaign.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

anilEhilated posted:

It still sounds like garbage. Halo 1 campaign felt boring as hell to me both in the 2000s and now, but Halo 2 has a lot of improvements and a pretty good singleplayer campaign.

That was Reach only and they fixed it a little while ago. Or at least, they said they did.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Getting Over It is so crazy. I loaded it on a whim and beat it in 16 minutes.

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Rolo posted:

Getting Over It is so crazy. I loaded it on a whim and beat it in 16 minutes.

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

It’s really wild how easy it is to repeat sections. You can hit your head against a wall for 30 minutes, do it by luck one time, and then be able to repeat that in seconds from then on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s really wild how easy it is to repeat sections. You can hit your head against a wall for 30 minutes, do it by luck one time, and then be able to repeat that in seconds from then on.

I made it to the bucket without making a single mistake, spent 10 minutes there then beelined the ending. I think I’ve peaked, I can’t do it 40 something more times.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Shmup nerd reporting in, I owe Ikaruga for helping me get into the genre but in hindsight it's not a particularly fun game.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

only shmup I ever got into was Einhander. have any games ever ripped it off since then? especially its presentation. I played it on an emulator recently and it still holds up.

Strania has a similar weapon switching system, may or may not scratch your itch.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RBA Starblade posted:

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach all have great campaigns but 1 stands alone in how it feels. 4 sucks.

You can buy them piecemeal so if you want get Halo 1/Anniversary (however it's listed, Anniversary overlays new graphics on top but you can toggle it off and also toggle off the remastered audio if you like) then just go from there. If you have gamepass the Master Chief Collection contains them all now as well.

Cool, thanks!

So last questions, with the Halo games, can you rebind any keys you need, and do the games have adjustable FoV controls?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh yeah, Ice Pick Lodge's next game has a store page. Know by Heart, seems to be a melancholic story game that's honestly more in line with what people wanted out of Pathologic 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I stand by ChoRenSha 68k as the best SHUMP ever made and no others have ever come close in pure gamefeel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ATKyKrRMk

Fallom posted:

What's the preferred control method for Overload? I have a KB+M, gamepad, and HOTAS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA-42wW64Ho&t=190s

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey I need some help remembering something about older games.

Me and a friend bought Metal Slug 3 because we played a ton in college on the Xbox 360 store version (mid-late 2000s.) We loved arcade mode on that but can’t remember the default amount of credits, whether it was 3 or 5. We’re trying to replicate the exact same experience because it was the perfect amount of challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, thanks!

So last questions, with the Halo games, can you rebind any keys you need, and do the games have adjustable FoV controls?

You can adjust FOV, and it looks like you can rebind almost everything but the chat button googling around (I play with controller)