Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Necromentia seems like a pretty powerful card, is it actually terrible? It feels like a handy way to neuter decks that rely on a single card for their main trick, like Genesis Ultimatum or Underworld Dreams etc, and if it happens to get any from their hand and creates piddly zombie tokens, they're easy enough to deal with in a monoblack deck. Even with decks that don't have a single card it focuses around, getting rid of every Doom Foretold or Elspeth Conquers Death or UGIN seems like a pretty good deal for 3 mana, isn't it? Like Agonizing Remorse is 2 mana to nuke a single card from their hand, but necromentia nukes every copy from their everything for one mana more and the possibility of maybe one or two critter tokens popping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a card that you shouldn't mainboard because the vast majority of decks won't lose because they lose a specific card from their deck, but in very specific cases (i.e. the vast majority of a meta is a deck like that) it can be considered for a sideboard slot

a good way to think about it is from the other perspective: if the four copies of a card you consider the best in your deck are the last four cards you draw, can your deck win otherwise? the answer should be "yeah, it won't be as overpowering but it can get there" if it's a well-made deck, since that situation can just happen on its own

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Captain Invictus posted:

Necromentia seems like a pretty powerful card, is it actually terrible? It feels like a handy way to neuter decks that rely on a single card for their main trick, like Genesis Ultimatum or Underworld Dreams etc, and if it happens to get any from their hand and creates piddly zombie tokens, they're easy enough to deal with in a monoblack deck. Even with decks that don't have a single card it focuses around, getting rid of every Doom Foretold or Elspeth Conquers Death or UGIN seems like a pretty good deal for 3 mana, isn't it? Like Agonizing Remorse is 2 mana to nuke a single card from their hand, but necromentia nukes every copy from their everything for one mana more and the possibility of maybe one or two critter tokens popping out.

It's a potential sideboard card against decks that genuinely rely on a specific card. Most decks are not like that, and it really really is not worth it in those circumstances.

Basically, it's not worth three mana and a card from your hand to get rid of all the copies of their "best" card from their deck, because you are trading down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's probably better than Unmoored Ego, which has been playable in Fae wishboards and also was sometimes generally sideboardable against specific decks.

It's stone unplayable against rogues, mono-red, gruul, lifegain - pretty much any "play creatures and attack you" deck. But if the meta pivots away from that and becomes combo-centric again then maybe it'll find a place.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wolfman101 posted:

Brushfire is good in aggro, but Geopede enables a lot of midrange stuff. Here are some example turn 4s you can't get with Brushfire:

There are loads of cards that are good if you get to play them on curve and untap with them, but this is a fast format with lots of removal with some of the best ever Gruul midrange 3 drops.

And Unleash Fury is, unsurprisingly, good if it gets to go off but there's a reason that there's only two combat tricks that see wide play - one is Embercleave, which stays on the board even if they remove the target, and the other is attached to an aggressive 2 drop.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

this is your reminder that historic brawl returns for free for a week starting saturday

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
motorcycle goblin

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Deathtouch / Menace question:

If I have a 1 power death touch with Menace creature, if it's blocked do both blockers die, or only the one that is actually damaged?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Only the damaged one.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

If I have a 1 power death touch with Menace creature, if it's blocked do both blockers die, or only the one that is actually damaged?

Should just be the one blocker, because you don't have another damage point to assign to the other one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SalTheBard posted:

Deathtouch means "1 damage kills creatures". A 0 power deathtouch creature does nothing, for example. See also: deathtouch and trample.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
500 free gold in the shop for the next 24 hours

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Today I saw during an attack that a lifelink on one creature caused my life to go over 25 and angel of vitality changed from 2/2 to 4/4 before attacking itself and then caused 4 damage. Is that normal? I kinda assumed that lifelink is only added after all damage has been dealt. Does that mean that creatures are attacking in a certain order? Can I influence that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did the lifelinking creature have First Strike?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
After wheeling all month, I finally squeaked into Mythic with Mono U Tempo in historic. Dropped 2 matches through Diamond, losing to BW Auras because that’s a tough matchup and Gruul due to land screw. If anyone else is struggling with historic I recommend it. It feels like a deck that’s well positioned in historic again.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

InterrupterJones posted:

After wheeling all month, I finally squeaked into Mythic with Mono U Tempo in historic. Dropped 2 matches through Diamond, losing to BW Auras because that’s a tough matchup and Gruul due to land screw. If anyone else is struggling with historic I recommend it. It feels like a deck that’s well positioned in historic again.

Do you have a list? I always enjoy jamming some mono u

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Wezlar posted:

Do you have a list? I always enjoy jamming some mono u

I took Kaervek's list from mtgazone, changing a few things in the SB. I've added a couple of negates, mainly because I ran into a high number of auras decks, which again feel like tough matchups.

Deck
4 Brazen Borrower
4 Brineborn Cutthroat
1 Castle Vantress
4 Curious Obsession
19 Island
4 Lofty Denial
3 Lookout's Dispersal
4 Opt
4 Pteramander
4 Siren Stormtamer
4 Spectral Sailor
3 Spell Pierce
2 Stern Dismissal

Sideboard
4 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Aether Gust
2 Essence Capture
4 Mystical Dispute
2 Tempest Djinn

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Jabor posted:

Did the lifelinking creature have First Strike?

I don't think so but maybe I overlooked something. Sounds like the most obvious solution.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
They only other thing I can think of would be Linden triggers.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Want to win on your 3rd turn surprisingly often? Want to grind out daily wins as fast a humanly possible? I might have made a keeper here:

Directions:

1) Fire up "Play" or "Historic Ranked", try to keep a hand with Kiln Fiend if you can, Fire Urchin not nearly as good but workable, especially if the opponent is a little slow.

2) If the opponent begins with first/second turn removal, concede and move on.

3) Play a turn 2 Kiln Fiend and you can win on turn 3 with:

Infuriate + Unleash Fury (20 damage)

Built to Smash + Raking Claws (20 damage)

Infuriate + Built to Smash + Thud (26 damage)

Infuriate + Barge In + Thud (24 damage with trample)

Could probably craft more Dreadhoards or something but this seems to be about as fast as it gets for grinding out "gently caress you mode" surprise kills.

Thanks for this one, some moods call for a deck like this and it fits the bill.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are there any good Spanish speaking MTGA players that either steam or put videos on YouTube?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SalTheBard posted:

Are there any good Spanish speaking MTGA players that either steam or put videos on YouTube?

These are the Spanish-speaking MPL/Rivals players that I know of

https://www.twitch.tv/aliadeschain/
https://www.twitch.tv/JavierDmagic/
https://www.twitch.tv/levunga21/
https://www.twitch.tv/luissalvatto/ (uh, they speak Spanish in Argentina, right?)
https://www.twitch.tv/sebastianpozzo/ (doesn't have VODs set up though)

You can also go to https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Magic%3A%20The%20Gathering and do a ctrl-f for Spanish, they have language tags on there.

Dunno about youtube, sorry.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

znr trad draft is a land of wonders (e: fixed link)

(this is my most recent draft, where I finally got into a pretty good rogues deck (draft portion) in ZNR draft for the first time. I've been maintaining a high winrate for a while now and it feels fantastic to become good at a draft format, like seeing into the matrix)

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 31, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I appreciate your targeting there arena, good job! Legion's Landing was the right choice for 147 +1/+1 counters.

As soon as the opponent put all the gobbos on the stack I went and turned auto order triggers on, but still ran out of time then the Landing started getting targeted. Thrn my opponent lost all his time and we spent a good 45 seconds watching triggers happen. If the second muxus hadnt hit the last of his prospectors I had a chance.

Was trying to grind into mythic but poo poo Ive dropped almost 2 ranks back to diamond 4 this evening. Just bad matchups, lovely draws, and then this game.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 31, 2020

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

The Klowner posted:

znr trad draft is a land of wonders (e: fixed link)

(this is my most recent draft, where I finally got into a pretty good rogues deck (draft portion) in ZNR draft for the first time. I've been maintaining a high winrate for a while now and it feels fantastic to become good at a draft format, like seeing into the matrix)

At what point in this draft did you decide this was going to be rogues? Initially you just seem to pick blue stuff in general.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

elbkaida posted:

At what point in this draft did you decide this was going to be rogues? Initially you just seem to pick blue stuff in general.

At the end of pack 1 this drafter easily could have been another blue deck, but already had a few reasonable black cards including a very strong card in Scavenger. That's an incentive to be in Rogues already. In addition, cards like Ruin Crab or Glacial Grasp go well in the deck. If it were me though, I would be hoping to play rogues but not committed at this point.

However, I suspect the actual point they "decide" it's going to be rogues is when they pick 4 great rogues in the first 5 picks of pack 2.

edit: Honestly surprised at the P3P3 Field Research though. I would have snapped off blackbloom rogue.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 31, 2020

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
In the below deck should I have put in Tuktuk rubblefort? This one feels like the best zendikar draft deck I got so far. Now just need to learn how to play better lol

https://www.17lands.com/deck/83608691d4d043098866af7ee0327b40/1

E: Also both times I got the planeswalker out they managed to kill it in their next turn. Should I be more defensive with the timing? I feel one of the two times it was def worth it getting the equipped warrior token out because I had the blademaster

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 31, 2020

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

elbkaida posted:

In the below deck should I have put in Tuktuk rubblefort? This one feels like the best zendikar draft deck I got so far. Now just need to learn how to play better lol

E: Also both times I got the planeswalker out they managed to kill it in their next turn. Should I be more defensive with the timing? I feel one of the two times it was def worth it getting the equipped warrior token out because I had the blademaster

I don't think your deck had enough creatures, but I wouldn't play Rubblefort. Your deck has a lot of equipment (including Utility Knife which is not very good, but I get that you're trying to enable Blademaster and Nahiri) and other cards that sort of require you to have creatures, and especially attackers (tricks, sizzling barrage, etc). I would probably put in both Nightrunners. They incentivize the opponent to block and reward you nicely if they get through.

What did they do to kill your Nahiri? Usually if you look at the board you should be able to tell if they can kill her next turn. In general she's reasonable resilient, especially if you have even one equipment out, because you can +1 to get an extra blocker and go up to 5 loyalty. Assuming you and your opponent have similar board states that should be hard to punch through.

I'll take a look at your draft as well.

edit: I'd honestly think about playing Ox as well just too maybe get through extra damage late. It's tough because I don't like Sizzling Barrage at all, especially without much trample, but you don't really have access to much removal or too many good tricks.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 31, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defeatist Elitist posted:

edit: Honestly surprised at the P3P3 Field Research though. I would have snapped off blackbloom rogue.

Yeah that was a little loose. The "correct" choice there was the blackbloom rogue. At that point I had a thwart the grave and wasn't sure I'd be able to pick up more graveyard-recursion effects like blood beckoning (didn't expect the nullpriest of oblivion a few picks later) so I wanted to hedge against the possibility of not getting more card advantage. Field research doesn't really make sense with rogues' game plan but it's still a great card, either to reach land 4 when you're getting screwed or to refuel in the mid game.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I'm sad the cube is going away. I've sunk so much gold into it.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

elbkaida posted:

Some general comments on the draft:
P1P3: Cliffhaven Kitesail is really good with Kor Blademaster, especially since you can almost certainly pick up the 3/1 warrior. The Cleric can also be very good in an aggressive deck, so I don't think this is necessarily a bad pick.
P1P6: I would not take the Windrobber here as it feels very unlikely you would end up in a deck that cares much about it. Roilmage seems like the highest upside card in the pack.
I started to notice that you took a lot of cards over Sneaking Guide. I can definitely see why the card would seem bad, but it can be good in an aggressive red deck. It's at its best in RB, but it also pairs well with the Night-Runners. I wouldn't pick it highly, but I wouldn't avoid it either.
P2P1 I think you basically have the choice of going for UR Wizards or RW Warriors/equipment. It seems like you were trying to move into Blue and maybe thought it was open. Any particular reason you chose Nahiri at this point?
P2P5: You pick Banneret over Expedition Champion. I notice you don't pick Champion very highly. In RW I would expect to end up with a reasonable density of warriors, which means I actually like Champion a fair amount. Nothing wrong with Banneret, but I'd prefer the Champion at this point.
P2P6: I think I would rather have Rage over Utility Knife, even with the equipment payoffs.
You have some other kind of unfocused picks in pack 2.
P3P2: I would definitely have picked Roil Eruption above Spikefield Hazard. Eruption is a really great card.
P3P3: By the time you take Vial there is almost no chance of you being Clerics. Packbeast is a much stronger pick.
P3P5: You picked Canyon Jerboa over Expedition Champion. I suppose you are kind of low on warriors, but I still think Champion is the better pick here.
Teeterpeak Ambusher is not the worst card in the world if you have a warriors deck. It's a two drop, it attacks fine in the late game, it wears the warrior and equipment boosts reasonably well. I wouldn't take it over anything good, but I think I would have picked up at least one of them in the end of P3.

The Klowner posted:

Yeah that was a little loose. The "correct" choice there was the blackbloom rogue. At that point I had a thwart the grave and wasn't sure I'd be able to pick up more graveyard-recursion effects like blood beckoning (didn't expect the nullpriest of oblivion a few picks later) so I wanted to hedge against the possibility of not getting more card advantage. Field research doesn't really make sense with rogues' game plan but it's still a great card, either to reach land 4 when you're getting screwed or to refuel in the mid game.

Yeah, that makes sense. Field Research is a good card and it filled a hole. Rogue is just so good, particularly in this deck.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 31, 2020

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Agreed about the sizzling barrage, should have swapped that out after not doing anything with it in the first few matches.

Thanks for the detailed comments, that's very helpful. I did not put the 2+2 together with kitesail and blademaster, holy poo poo. That could have been awesome. Looks like I need to be a bit more careful with the later picks because I don't think about them as much as I should.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

elbkaida posted:

Without even looking at the draft, the answer is no. Tuktuk Rubblefort is hideously bad and I've yet to see a deck where I'd want it.

Onto the draft, you did it again! You were doing fine in two colours then you took cards from another colour that aren't even good (aside from Field Research, but again this is not a three colour format.)

You have multiple cards that care about Warriors but you passed so many Teeterpeak Ambushers I lost count. Canyon Jerboa is real bad and Expedition Champ is great for you. Sneaking Guide and Grotag Night Runner is a nice little card advantage engine and you didn't take a single one of the former.

Your deck is weak as a result and you have a lot of Party Matters cards (Prac Tac, Colossus, Allied Assault) that are way below rate because you'll almost never have a party size greater than 1. Also the first 1-2 MDFC lands you play can replace lands so your deck should be 15 land + 2 MDFC. 12 creatures is way way WAY too low. Night Runners and Ox should be in. Electromancers would be really good if you had more red 2 drops and it makes me miss those Teeterpeaks even more.

As for Planeswalkers you have to consider what's going to happen for the next couple turns when you play them. Whenever a planeswalker is in play the game could just become about them for a while. Sometimes your opponent can ignore it, sometimes they'll do everything they can to deal with it. If you're playing Nahiri and your opponent kills it immediately that usually means one of two things:

1. You had almost no board presence and they just ran her over. Just slapping a planeswalker down isn't enough to win a game (usually) and you want to protect her so she can do her thing. You can should not be paying 4 mana just to make a single dingus and gain a handful of life because they attacked her instead of you.

2. Your opponent spent a lot of resources (damage spells, pump, creatures attacking into bad blocks, mana they could have used otherwise, etc) dealing with her. If you play Nahiri and they have to give up two cards to deal with her, you came out ahead on that exchange and a lot of the time that's just fine. Remember that the goal of Magic is to win the game, boy to have your planeswalker survive, so if Nahiri dying results in you winning, then she did her job.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elbkaida posted:

We're in completely different decks by pick 5 because there are a lot of awesome blue commons. I think you committed to warriors way too early. It looks like you went p1p1 blademaster into p1p2 warleader and said to yourself "I'm RW warriors now" and tunnel visioned when you should have been willing to be more open. There may have been a good UR wizards deck in your seat.

With what you have I probably would have cut a utility knife and a pressure point for an electromancer and a night-runner. Two equipment is enough (you don't want to be drawing too many and no creatures) and pressure point sucks, especially in this deck when you don't want to be leaving mana up. Those two creatures have types that make your party cards party harder. Rubblefort is not good, never ever play it.

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 31, 2020

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

The Klowner posted:

We're in completely different decks by pick 5 because there are a lot of awesome blue commons. I think you committed to warriors way too early. It looks like you went p1p1 blademaster into p1p2 warleader and said to yourself "I'm RW warriors now" and tunnel visioned when you should have been willing to be more open. There may have been a good UR wizards deck in your seat.

With what you have I probably would have cut a utility knife and a pressure point for an electromancer and a night-runner. Two equipment is enough (you don't want to be drawing too many and no creatures) and pressure point sucks, especially in this deck when you don't want to be leaving mana up. Rubblefort is not good, never ever play it.

They did start moving into blue partway through pack 1, but I feel like things got very confused at that point, and Nahiri seems to have snapped everything back to RW.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I haven't built a wizards deck before, need to give it a try when I next get the chance. Not too experienced with playing blue in general so should probably do a bit more of that for non-draft play.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

elbkaida posted:

I haven't built a wizards deck before, need to give it a try when I next get the chance. Not too experienced with playing blue in general so should probably do a bit more of that for non-draft play.

Blue is pretty powerful in this set. It has a ton of good commons, like Into the Roil, Bubble Snare, Tazeem Roilmage, Field Research, and Cunning Geysermage (in roughly that order). You will notice that all of those cards have kicker, and all but one are either Wizards, Instants or Sorceries. The best blue deck and the best deck in the format is the blue-green kicker deck. Blue-red wizards can be very strong if you get the right pieces (the amulet is a very strong piece), and cares about you playing wizards, instants and sorceries. This means that blue not only has a bunch of rawly powerful cards at common, but those cards also synergize very well with two of the blue decks. The other two blue color pair decks (blue black rogues and blue white party) are definitely not bad, and because of how strong those commons are you can even build other decks like blue green wizards, or blue-X kicker if you don't quite get there on one of the "real" archetypes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I dont get field research and why people think its good. Like, counsel of the soratami is playable, sure, but tidings draws 4 for 5 at sorcery, draw four for 6 is an uncommon effect, theres even an ultra-preordain at 5 in Zendikar Rising. I never feel good about taking field research because kicking it feels absolutely awful

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kicking it feels fantastic once the game has developed, the board is stable, and you're looking to trade resources and end up with more after your opponent is spent.

Remember - adding the option of kicking it, that you can choose to use or not use depending on what's most advantageous in the current moment, cannot make the card worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

I dont get field research and why people think its good. Like, counsel of the soratami is playable, sure, but tidings draws 4 for 5 at sorcery, draw four for 6 is an uncommon effect, theres even an ultra-preordain at 5 in Zendikar Rising. I never feel good about taking field research because kicking it feels absolutely awful

It's the flexibility and the fact that it fits really well into the format.

Also kicking it feels unbelievably good lmao.