Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As far as the luck thing, the 2016 Cleveland team was a ridiculous confluence of events. Their 2 and 3 pitchers were both hurt and out, Brantley was out, Gomes had a broken hand and Napoli stopped hitting at all. They got carried by Kluber and Miller putting in godlike performances, with also incredible backup from Shaw and Allen, until they all just gave out, potentially shortening ALL of their careers afterwards.

If Cleveland had managed to hold it together just a little longer, there would be statues for at least Kluber, Miller and Rajai Davis already.

The 2017 team was better but got completely stomped by the Yankees in the division series and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

bawfuls posted:

This is the part where a smug Royals fan might point out they won back-to-back pennants, which that Cubs team did not do.

That's right! :cool:

And yes, the Royals rode a lot of luck in that run, which is kind of the point bawfuls is making. Those two teams didn't exactly come out of nowhere though. The Royals had a highly touted farm system. It was a core that was supposed to compete for a championship and lo and behold they brought one home even if thet didn't live up to the prospect hype individually. Which is to say, yes, every championship takes luck even if it is in the form of hey, we really did hit on those prospects.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The 2015 Royals suck imo

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The 2015 Royals suck imo

Disagree. But, what we can agree on is that 2015 teams from Texas suck and deserve to be laughed at.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

BP (batters piledriven)

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Kyle Farnsworths balls are internal lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So is bawfuls trying to destroy every bit of good will about his team winning the WS this year? Lol

Edit: This is from the last few pages, but I mostly just get to lurk these days because 2020 sucks, but thankfully my anxiety/depression meds keep it in check! :cheers:

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 31, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Come on admit it, it's really funny for him to counter "3 rings" with "lol dynasty points"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Is it like coins and stars in mario party where 25 dynasty points is worth as much as a ring when you tally it all up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Come on admit it, it's really funny for him to counter "3 rings" with "lol dynasty points"
I used the opportunity provided by the Darvish trade to drop a hot take on the 2016 Cubs, so people would get irritated and I could then bring up some Bill James nerd poo poo my dad emailed me about recently, all so I could take an indirect dig at the Giants and post a contrived leaderboard that the Yankees absolutely dominate.

Yeah man you figured out my mid-winter posting scheme

Spoeank posted:

Is it like coins and stars in mario party where 25 dynasty points is worth as much as a ring when you tally it all up
If that’s how your crack-pinged brain works, sure who am I to judge

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 31, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

not ascribing motive, simply offering a retelling of past events

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

If that’s how your crack-pinged brain works, sure who am I to judge

It's called a joke. I'm sorry your 24 dynasty point team produced one asterisk ring so far but congrats on crushing all the good will for getting over the hump before spring training even started by being a humorless scold

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2020

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The 2015 Royals didn't really seem lucky to me

The 2014 Royals can gently caress right off though for their playoff run

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

oh poo poo would you look at that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

The 2015 Royals didn't really seem lucky to me

The 2014 Royals can gently caress right off though for their playoff run

The 7th inning against the Astros :negative:

bawfuls you really should be basking and telling people to kiss the ring, not biting on the most basic provocations a Giants fan can offer

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Spoeank posted:

It's called a joke. I'm sorry your 24 dynasty point team produced one asterisk ring so far but congrats on crushing all the good will for getting over the hump before spring training even started by being a humorless scold

This might be the only interesting thing talked about in a page or 5.
Do people actually think there is an asterisk on this WS? Because lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It had high asterisk potential given the short season and expanded playoff format but the two best teams in the league played in it so it's hard to argue that

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Yeah, it came down to the two best teams so it had a perfectly cromulent result, regardless of season length

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Intruder posted:

It had high asterisk potential given the short season and expanded playoff format but the two best teams in the league played in it so it's hard to argue that

Yeah, well who did the two best teams in the league play to get to the championship? That's right, a bunch of frauds. Ergo, they too are a bunch of frauds.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

The 7th inning against the Astros :negative:

bawfuls you really should be basking and telling people to kiss the ring, not biting on the most basic provocations a Giants fan can offer
I was trying to talk about something more interesting to the thread at large than basking and gloating but it seems that also annoyed some people so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would people really rather see low content “kiss the ring” poo poo than a somewhat contrived nerd excuse to compare various historical teams? Genuinely do not understand this “you are ruining your good will cause you aren’t brain-dead posting all the time about the win” thing

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pungry posted:

Yeah, well who did the two best teams in the league play to get to the championship? That's right, a bunch of frauds. Ergo, they too are a bunch of frauds.

The Rays beat a team that was in three straight ALCSes, two of the last three WSes, and won one of them

The Dodgers on the other hand made a huge comeback against an Atlanta team which is basically meaningless these days

bawfuls posted:

I was trying to talk about something more interesting to the thread at large than basking and gloating but it seems that also annoyed some people so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would people really rather see low content “kiss the ring” poo poo than a somewhat contrived nerd excuse to compare various historical teams? Genuinely do not understand this “you are ruining your good will cause you aren’t brain-dead posting all the time about the win” thing

I didn't mean to post "kiss the rings" constantly but when a Giants fan decides to do some fun rivalry poo poo talking that's an option. The dynasty points chat in a vacuum is :shrug: but the second you start using it to say the Dodgers were better in the 2010s than the Giants it just invites more kiss the rings talk from Giants fans tbh

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 31, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls you are too easy to rile up man, it was friendly rivalry ribbing

anyway new avatar, probably unrelated

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posts are par for the course. It’s non giants fans complaining that confuses me

Intruder posted:

I didn't mean to post "kiss the rings" constantly but when a Giants fan decides to do some fun rivalry poo poo talking that's an option. The dynasty points chat in a vacuum is :shrug: but the second you start using it to say the Dodgers were better in the 2010s than the Giants it just invites more kiss the rings talk from Giants fans tbh
Any time an opportunity arises to needle the Giants in context I’m gonna take it, not seeing how that’s any different from Spoeank’s posting.

This is entirely too much posting about posting so I’ll go back to reading about how hosed everything is now thanks for the chat

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 31, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sorry I don't give a poo poo about the Dodgers or rays but the WS was not an asterisk

if anything adding another round made it much harder (how many times this season did the Dodgers lose 2 in a row? what are the odds of the Dodgers losing 2 in a row to a decent team?)

If it had ended up being Marlins/cleveland or something we could talk about how it was asterisk but after the short ramp up and injuries and extra playoff round you can't tell em they didn't deserve the title. also if you dispute that the Dodgers have been the best team in baseball for the last 5 years you're insane.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You should either be of the pov it has an asterisk or not going in, judging it by the result of what happened is some weakass bullshit.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The 2020 WS has an asterisk when Dodgers fans are being annoying and doesn’t have an asterisk when Dodgers fans are being cool. Get with the program

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

The 2020 WS has an asterisk when Dodgers fans are being annoying and doesn’t have an asterisk when Dodgers fans are being cool. Get with the program

exactly, the asterisk is invoked when it is necessary to troll dodger fans and revoked to troll other fanbases on an as-needed basis.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Schrödinger’s Asterisk

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
your hot take and dynasty points talk was fine - it's that you couldn't understand why people disagreed with your hot take that got folks responding. there was a good discussion but it ended with you being like "jeez i can't understand why folks don't get it" and then the goal posts moved to "luck is involved in even winning one ws" which was not the original point. if you post a hot take be prepared for push back and for folks to not agree, that's all

i liked the discussion, I was very involved in it and I think talking about the teams of the decade is fun. I know the ringer did an article on that and said the astros were the team of the decade, which I can't fully disagree with but maybe it is just the giants cause rings.

edit: and tbh i have enjoyed this a lot more than folks just posting twitter links - there's not enough discussion on stuff like that in this thread

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Schrödinger’s Asterisk

that's right

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Puig looks to change 'bothersome' habits

quote:

“The main thing for me and my agent right now is to be healthy and improve the things that bothered some people when I played,” Puig said Tuesday in a video conference call organized by the Toros. “To give my best in the playoffs and in the big leagues in the future, if I have the opportunity in spring 2021.”

When pressed on what things he’d like to change that “bothered” people, Puig -- who turned 30 this offseason -- mentioned his resistance to coaches’ calls for outfield positioning.

“You’ve got to pay attention to the coaches,” said the native of Cienfuegos, Cuba. “If they tell me to move to a certain area and the ball ends up being hit somewhere else, that’s a problem with their statistics. They’re the ones in charge.

“I didn’t like to do it, because I’m the one in the game and I see if the batter is going to hit the ball here or not. If they decide [on the positioning], you’ve got to respect that. You’ve got to do what they say. I’m ready to play in the big leagues and leave behind the things that were bothersome.”

I would love to see Puig back in the big league. Seems like Puig probably wasn't getting along with some teammates and coaches which is probably why no one was was eager to sign him in 2020. But he's a fun player to watch I just hope he doesn't feel like he can't express himself on the field anymore.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In this labor environment I worry Puig is gonna get blackballed by this dumb sport

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

In this labor environment I worry Puig is gonna get blackballed by this dumb sport

I think Puig will be fine. He had a deal in place with the Braves--I think--before his COVID test. MLB.com reported at least 3 teams in on him, and he's playing in Dominican Winter League.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He’s going to end up on the Giants somehow isn’t he

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

He’s going to end up on the Giants somehow isn’t he

Puig MY friend

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Didn't he get a DV charge a few months ago or am I thinking of someone else

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I just remember he was on the cusp of signing when the season finally started and then tested positive for covid so that was that. Maybe you’re thinking of Arozarena’s kidnapping/custody situation?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh it was this

bawfuls posted:

my friend, no!

https://twitter.com/BR_MLB/status/1321902411313606656

between the league-wide excuses to slash spending and now this, Puig may have played his last game in MLB

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don’t think Puig plays in the majors again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh it was this

ohhh yea I forgot about that. Goodbye Yasiel.