Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I like how they question if goons would cling to their dying space station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

The power creep in EvE is crazy, I remember when losing even a single Titan was crippling blow to an Alliance.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine how much money those horrible Icelanders would make if they released bigger and bigger titans every 6 months or so. Have a universe class vessel that is the map.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just imagine how much money those horrible Icelanders would make if they released bigger and bigger titans every 6 months or so. Have a universe class vessel that is the map.

there are special "rare" titans where the blueprint only drops after a huge fleet battle with an NPC faction. they cost the same number of minerals to build, but the rareness of the blueprint means these ships are worth 10x what a normal titan is. these ships are also only like 15% better than a normal titan :v:

so yes, well the "average" ultra nerd is flying a $1300 ship the whales of EVE are flying ships worth $10,000+

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

500excf type r posted:

I like how they question if goons would cling to their dying space station

:lol:

If the alliance really wanted to take down Goonswarm they would accuse the admiral of beating women IRL

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so Rutibex, you mentioned that this "wasn't even our emergency backup HQ".

How does this work, in that, how do the enemies not know this? Is the info of where your other, I'm gonna say at least 2, HQs are secret knowledge? Or do they all know where it is and have to get through this fight first?

Also, I'm assuming based on your info earlier that they just have a 0.0. chance of coming out ahead in all of this, correct? They think they're tearing you down, but it's like they're trying to demolish a house by removing wallpaper. Is that accurate?

I know it's naive to ask this, but like... if that's the case, how do they not know this? How are they that dumb?

Woden
May 6, 2006
So you can just not log in after downtime while you're in a giant battle, and you're unkillable? Lame.

Also are those borg cubes just poo poo at combat or something? I'd have thought that would help in the fight but the goons lost more titans so no?

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Atari posted:

If fps kids are swatting each other then surely EVE players with their far more obsessive dedication should have escalated this into real world organised violence.

Was EVE the one where they cut that dude's powerlines just before an invasion so he couldn't coordinate the defence or am I thinking of a different set of frightening obsessives?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so Rutibex, you mentioned that this "wasn't even our emergency backup HQ".

How does this work, in that, how do the enemies not know this? Is the info of where your other, I'm gonna say at least 2, HQs are secret knowledge? Or do they all know where it is and have to get through this fight first?

Also, I'm assuming based on your info earlier that they just have a 0.0. chance of coming out ahead in all of this, correct? They think they're tearing you down, but it's like they're trying to demolish a house by removing wallpaper. Is that accurate?

I know it's naive to ask this, but like... if that's the case, how do they not know this? How are they that dumb?

the thing they are attacking is a "keepstar" which is the biggest space castle in the game. normal alliances can afford maybe one or two for their capital system. goonswarm has over 60 keepstars. the one they are attacking right now is in a backwater nothing system. our capital system 1DQ has what is called the "Dyson Sphere" protecting the most important Keepstar (the one where the goonswarm market lives). this is a shell of 50+ faction space castles surrounding the capital keepstar. if they attacked our HQ they would not trade titans with us 50/50, it would be an utter slaughter.

but the 1DQ keepstar is not our final defense. if they manage to attack 1DQ we have a super dooper fortified system set up in Y-OMTZ called "helms deep". as you can see from this map, OMTZ is in the exact corner of the galaxy, they would have to fight through two fortified systems to reach our final fortification. this is assuming they already defeated the 60+ keepstars deployed throughout our space :v:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the 'grrr goons' effect has sustained eve for a long rear end time, and imo the game would shrivel up without the eternal presence of big bad evil goons to team up against

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Can you combine keepstars into something?

Do the eve developers ever unleash a super NPC just to gently caress poo poo up and keep it interesting?

There's another battle on Saturday? Are the goons gonna come back with a secret stash of big ships and murder everyone?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Woden posted:

So you can just not log in after downtime while you're in a giant battle, and you're unkillable? Lame.

Also are those borg cubes just poo poo at combat or something? I'd have thought that would help in the fight but the goons lost more titans so no?

their titans are not safely docked in a space station. we can deploy warp scrambling bubbles on the location where their fleet logged off, so if anyone tried to log back on they die.

it's called a "hellcamp" because its hell for everyone involved :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The way wars are won in eve is not by blowing up spaceships or destroying stations or taking territory, it's by making one side think they're losing. At which point they tend to disintegrate or turn on themselves. The rank and file players stop logging in, subgroups quit for a different alliance, trusted individuals who have important powers turn traitor and steal poo poo / backstab the group on the way out as a way to secure fame and power elsewhere.

Basically it's totally unlike war irl because there are so many ways to opt out, the propaganda value of victories is far more important than the victory itself. The losing side is gonna cut and run long before they are out of poo poo to fight with.

Blueshirt posted:

Was EVE the one where they cut that dude's powerlines just before an invasion so he couldn't coordinate the defence or am I thinking of a different set of frightening obsessives?

This did not actually happen, it was a proposal by some russian players that they could do it.

On reflection years later, it's a good question whether that was something they could actually do. We always said the russians were scary crazy guys who were in with the russian mob, but probably they were just nerds like everyone else and talking a big game.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 31, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dignity Van Houten posted:

:lol:

If the alliance really wanted to take down Goonswarm they would accuse the admiral of beating women IRL

not a disqualifying factor in eve

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Didn't vilerat get killed irl so Hillary alliance could pull one over goonswarm? Those crazy eve gamers smdh

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

The power creep in EvE is crazy, I remember when losing even a single Titan was crippling blow to an Alliance.

BEEP BEEP IM A JEEP :redhammer:

The fanfare surrounding the first Titan kill finally got me to swarm up. I never did more than tackle in a Rifter: Flying around in a dollar store knock off of a space ship that wasn't much more than a pair of engines super glued to a trash can for a pilot seat and using that to pin down some rear end in a top hat's billion ISK luxury battle yacht so the big bees could gently caress it in every orifice while making a few new ones is still a very romantic ideal. But that was over a decade ago and who knows how the game plays now.

I did get to go on at least one op with Tolon as fleet commander which was an experience. I heard about him passing out drunk during a tower defense op and the fleet had to spend a large amount of time carefully bumping his ship back within the tower shield defenses so he didn't get picked off while AFK.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2020

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Edit: This space contained a series of stupid seizure-triggering images.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 1, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Heh causing vulnerable people to literally have seizures is hilarious :xd:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

My friend was in this battle, says current total titans dead is 248, which would be almost 1 million USD.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

Do they have a reason for attacking us or is it just something fun to do in game?

Vily space mad at goons because when he went afk for two years he wasn’t automatically put back in charge of things when he got back.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Colonel Cancer posted:

Heh causing vulnerable people to literally have seizures is hilarious :xd:

Those gifs have not actually ever caused any seizures. HTH

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Rutibex posted:

2020 has basically been World War 2 in EVE

Rutibex posted:

goonswarm are the evil empire final boss of EVE online.
there has to be a better way to put it than "it's like ww2 and we're the bad guys"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God I love reading about Goonswarm in EVE. I've never played it, or ever want to, but I love reading about it from you guys none the less.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

there has to be a better way to put it than "it's like ww2 and we're the bad guys"

I mean we ARE SomethingAwful. It's not like, going back to the early days, running into Goons in a game meant you were in for a grand old time if you weren't with them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I played Eve one time like 15 years ago. I got through the tutorial and went through a portal into the universe. There were tens of douche ships camping there just blowing up every noob who exited the portal. I deleted it and never looked back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

I played Eve one time like 15 years ago. I got through the tutorial and went through a portal into the universe. There were tens of douche ships camping there just blowing up every noob who exited the portal. I deleted it and never looked back.

you won EVE online

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

didja win, op?

Also remember that you can't actually pay for things in the real world with online ships so saying that these are worth money is questionable at best, js

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AHH F/UGH posted:

didja win, op?

Also remember that you can't actually pay for things in the real world with online ships so saying that these are worth money is questionable at best, js

EVE assets actually do have a tangible dollar value thanks to how their subscription model works. Someone with more time than I have right now can clarify, but it's one of the few cases where you can actually say "this jpeg is worth thousands of dollars."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kestral posted:

EVE assets actually do have a tangible dollar value thanks to how their subscription model works. Someone with more time than I have right now can clarify, but it's one of the few cases where you can actually say "this jpeg is worth thousands of dollars."

Kind of. Unless the item can be converted back to currency it’s iffy though, especially since plexing is probably the most expensive way to get one, unless you are one of those people for whom money has no meaning.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kestral posted:

you can pay $1300 for one of these ships by buying credits from the company. but its against the TOS to sell it to someone else for money

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AHH F/UGH posted:

didja win, op?

as with all major EVE battles both sides are claiming to have won:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So what’s going on in Eve these days? Is Mittani still around? Is Deadtear still a bitch? What about Vio Geraci? Does anyone from Epsilon still play?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm glad that you and your friends had a fun time op!

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Frank Frank posted:

So what’s going on in Eve these days? Is Mittani still around? Is Deadtear still a bitch? What about Vio Geraci? Does anyone from Epsilon still play?

Yes how did it go? Also is Arkhamina, Joe Richter, and Avalloc still around? God I was terrible at that game. Kind of want to go back but I would need to update my PC and I should probably focus on finding a career after covid

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Goonspeed goon spacesir! The never ending goonfleet war that's been going on for 20 years or so is extremely fun to read about every few years. It's like watching a football cup every 2 years and briefly supporting "your team" until you forget about it

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've tried playing EVE a few times over the years but like all MMOs I just don't get any enjoyment out of it. It's great to hear that Goons are still on top tho.

Basically:

Professor Shark posted:

I'm glad that you and your friends had a fun time op!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The game seems profoundly boring, but I do enjoy the highlight reel articles that come out every now and then. But my one question is how, even for people who enjoy a spreadsheet simulator, it can be at all fun to play if goonswarm is so dominant? Doesn't that just mean you have the choice of either being wrecked by them or joining with them–which as far as I can tell means you are exploited by some sort of multilayered bureaucracy of more powerful players? From an outsider's perspective it also sounds like those more powerful players have developed a kind of lowtaxian style of administration.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember that when goonswarm got to the top it was climbing, grinding, clawing its way against a faction that was seen as oppressively dominant, and it's a story that you don't really know the end at the time. At some point an important enemy director simply betrayed their faction and fled because they lost a cultural war. It's the most exciting most boring game there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Frank Frank posted:

yes, do you still want to gently caress and kiss a nissan 350z , he probably died of drugs or something irl, lol no