Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Is there anything cool or gamebreaky if I want to do a reformed Ukonusko feudal kingdom based on the Nyland/Duchy of Savo start at 867 start date? Or anything I should be aware of besides the Mongols and Black Death? My assessment is that I at least should be based on Olavinlinna region because that is the only region which gives me castle and 2 baronies which cannot be hosed by the initial tribal inheritances.

I like to play Ironman and recently ended my Empire of Carpathia-run where I basically became the Empire of Everything HRE eastwards to Crimea from Black Sea to White Sea and forced reconquesta in the 1300's because the Catallanians dropped the ball.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Is there anything cool or gamebreaky if I want to do a reformed Ukonusko feudal kingdom based on the Nyland/Duchy of Savo start at 867 start date? Or anything I should be aware of besides the Mongols and Black Death? My assessment is that I at least should be based on Olavinlinna region because that is the only region which gives me castle and 2 baronies which cannot be hosed by the initial tribal inheritances.

I like to play Ironman and recently ended my Empire of Carpathia-run where I basically became the Empire of Everything HRE eastwards to Crimea from Black Sea to White Sea and forced reconquesta in the 1300's because the Catallanians dropped the ball.

If you're willing to do a little bit of faith switching, one cool thing you could do is take the Defenders of High God decision for each of the three faiths (Slovianskan / Ukonusko / Vidilist), and fully upgrade three Hall of Heroes buildings.. As long as you're one of the those three religions, the Hall of Heroes building will remain active, even when you're feudal. Combined with four grand temples, you could be rocking a cool +135% knight effectiveness.

Also, whenever I start tribal, I always want to find a way to become Greatest of the Khans. The decision requirements are incredibly lenient-- you can easily find mongol/tengriism characters to educate your children, 25 realm size is nothing, the steppe region is huge, the fame requirement is a byproduct of being tribal-- and the payoff is massive.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 30, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Got primogeniture just in time. My guy is getting up there in age.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

How are u posted:

I'm attempting to do a "Last of the Zunbils" run like somebody posted about earlier in the thread, and so far its been fun! Over a hundred and fifty years I managed to wrest control of the starting Duchy from my liege, use the Buy Claim ability of my extremely rad, scholarly, and long-lived ruler to eat the Duchies of two of my fellow vassals, throw off the oppressive Persian rule and create my own Zunbil kingdom. Great!

Now how the heck do I start working towards resurrecting the Zuni religion? We're all Ash'ari Muslims, so do I need to start by reforming the faith and adding a Syncretism of some sort?

Also my scholarly liberator ruler managed to luck into Witchcraft in his late 50s and had enough time to convert 60% of the House members and form a Coven. I hope that doesn't gently caress up the ability to ressurect Zunbil a hundred years down the road!

Best bet for resurrecting Zunism is a non-reformed religion with human sacrifice. Personally I would recommend Khyarwé Bön. It also has the advantage on making it so that you can holy war everyone around you and has Esotericism which is like 4 or 5 free learning perks per character once you go on some pilgrimages.

You can either seduce a Khyarwé Bön adherent to convince them to move to your court and raise your children. Or the even easier way, just send all your children off to foreign courts to be raised there. They always accept taking a ward and nothing bad ever happens to the kids. make sure you select to change their faith and then once they come back, boom, your dynasty changes religion with no conversion cost.

Then you are in for the long haul, you need a shitton of piety to resurrect a faith so you eventually want to have a character with a learning focus and then just sacrifice all the dirty sun hating heretics you holy war.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Or the even easier way, just send all your children off to foreign courts to be raised there. They always accept taking a ward and nothing bad ever happens to the kids.

Yet another thing that should be changed in future patches/DLC. I would also like to see taking children or close relatives as hostages in treaties added as a game mechanic, too.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If you're playing as a king and one of your dukes/jarls has a war with one of his own barons/chiefs, is there no way for you as the Duke's liege to help them?

That seems kind of weird.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Have they fixed the Mongol conquests being an anticlimactic little squirt that disappears within a decade yet?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
You guys probably get these posts all the time but I just skipped over thousands of posts to ask if they’ve fixed some of the bullshit from launch. I got a hankering to play again but not sure if I should just reinstall CK2 or give 3 another shot

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Tetramin posted:

You guys probably get these posts all the time but I just skipped over thousands of posts to ask if they’ve fixed some of the bullshit from launch. I got a hankering to play again but not sure if I should just reinstall CK2 or give 3 another shot

They have but you'll need to be more specific about what you are looking for because there are still issues.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Best bet for resurrecting Zunism is a non-reformed religion with human sacrifice. Personally I would recommend Khyarwé Bön. It also has the advantage on making it so that you can holy war everyone around you and has Esotericism which is like 4 or 5 free learning perks per character once you go on some pilgrimages.

You can either seduce a Khyarwé Bön adherent to convince them to move to your court and raise your children. Or the even easier way, just send all your children off to foreign courts to be raised there. They always accept taking a ward and nothing bad ever happens to the kids. make sure you select to change their faith and then once they come back, boom, your dynasty changes religion with no conversion cost.

Then you are in for the long haul, you need a shitton of piety to resurrect a faith so you eventually want to have a character with a learning focus and then just sacrifice all the dirty sun hating heretics you holy war.

Hey thanks for this! I ended up using the new king to build piety, eventually reforming a new sect of Islam with the local religion / unreformed syncretism. That let me get nice and friendly with the Tibetans who practice Khyarwe Bon, and now my new Queen (evened out the sexes while I was at it) is successfully sending her own heirs off to convert religions in Tibet. I just need to set up the succession just so to get the right kid on the throne.

Waging bloody wars to sacrifice people to build up piety for Zunism is going to be wild.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Have they fixed the Mongol conquests being an anticlimactic little squirt that disappears within a decade yet?

They do slightly better now and usually manage to conquer a large portion of the Eurasian steppe, but I have never seen them make it to Europe, or make serious inroads in Iran or India.

They're probably the best case study for the AI not understanding how to fight wars. They do great at first, but then they start making marriage alliances, get pulled into loads of wars against tiny powers (as a result of both those marriages and becoming defenders after their conquests), and then keep 100% of their levies raised while employing minimal MaA (especially siege engines) and completely bankrupt themselves while achieving nothing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

They're probably the best case study for the AI not understanding how to fight wars. They do great at first, but then they start making marriage alliances, get pulled into loads of wars against tiny powers (as a result of both those marriages and becoming defenders after their conquests), and then keep 100% of their levies raised while employing minimal MaA (especially siege engines) and completely bankrupt themselves while achieving nothing.

The overhaul mod I use, Dieu et Mon Droit, basically removed levies entirely in their 1.2 update (still in beta) and turned them into a new type of medium infantry MaA (while removing the MaA limit so you can have as many as your economy can support) and while I initially thought this was A Bit Drastic it really seems to be the easiest way to convince the AI to be an effective opponent right now.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So I read a cool history book called Vanished Kingdoms about European states that, well, vanished (like Burgundy). One of these was the Kingdom of Strathclyde, which covered much of what is now southern Scotland and parts of northern England, speaking a language much closer to Welsh than Gaelic. So imagine my surprise when it turns out that this guy, the last King of Alt Clut, is in game, and has his own unique culture (which uses Welsh naming conventions):

He's a randomly generated character, who always seems to end up with Intrigue-related traits, and is the sole ruler and Culture Head of the Cumbrians. He was my first character after finishing Tutorial Ireland and it was neat to do the British Isles from a slightly different starting point. As his son, I systematically swallowed up all of Ireland and converted to Insular, then his grandson made a very fortunate match to the future Queen of England. 150 years later, pausing only to stamp out an Adamite outbreak in Brittany, Malcolm's great-grandson proclaimed the dominance of Cumbrian culture over all of the Isles:

I agree with the poster who said polygamy feels way more powerful than the other marriage options. I was able to ally with so many of my vassals that rebellion was never an option, and they all married each other leading to a remarkably stable realm.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was the King of Bavaria and noticed a visitor to my court was the only Hohenzollern in the world. I fabricated a hook and executed him, preventing World War I.

I then found a Habsburg and killed him too.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Repeating a question from up thread - if you have a vassal that also has a vassal, and a war breaks out between them, as king can you not take sides in that war?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Midgetskydiver posted:

Repeating a question from up thread - if you have a vassal that also has a vassal, and a war breaks out between them, as king can you not take sides in that war?

Correct

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

You cannot. Nor as that low level vassal can you side with your top level liege against your direct liege, despite that being kind of a thing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Midgetskydiver posted:

You can ask one side to surrender to the other

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ah, finally noticed that it was Nubia that inherited the Byzantine Empire. That's why it all fell apart and the dukes couldn't put a Greek on the throne.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You can ask one side to surrender to the other

I think this is only available when both sides of the war are your direct vassal, not when one of your vassals is dealing with internal strife.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think this is only available when both sides of the war are your direct vassal, not when one of your vassals is dealing with internal strife.

Yeah, but when they rebel, the rebel becomes your vassal temporarily.

For example, as King I gave a younger son a random county because I was over my limit. Then I gave that son has a vassal to a duke. The duke tried to take the county and my son the count rebelled. He was once again my vassal for the duration of the rebellion. At that point you can ask one side to surrender to the other.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

As a liege you only protect your vassals from people of the same rank as you. So if you’re a king your Dukes can fight other Dukes or counts, but if another king comes along and tries to declare war you can defend your vassals.

By raising your crown authority you can stop your vassals from fighting’s amongst themselves but they still might get in fights with equal ranked lords from other realms.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

A Typical Goon posted:

As a liege you only protect your vassals from people of the same rank as you. So if you’re a king your Dukes can fight other Dukes or counts, but if another king comes along and tries to declare war you can defend your vassals.

By raising your crown authority you can stop your vassals from fighting’s amongst themselves but they still might get in fights with equal ranked lords from other realms.

Also high authority just means your direct vassals won’t fight. There will be rebellions from their vassals.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Man, what a disappointment to finally get all the dark age innovations and then have some arbitrary waiting period of 20 years before being able to "exit" the dark ages into early medieval. And then you have to spend decades more specifically "researching" primogeniture? This was my first time playing through and I went the Norman route and to find there are still decades / centuries worth of hurdles to get through is really demoralizing.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Primogeniture sucks anyway, the game becomes incredibly easy and boring at that point

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Does Denmark (or Sweden for that matter) have an easier culture action which makes them feudal than, for example Finnish-ran Kingdom of Finland or Rurikid? I find it bullshitty that on my "lets make Ukonusko great again"-game Denmark got feudal around ~1050 and their home county isn't even close to matching the development requirements I have for becoming feudal. Their religion isn't even reformed and they are, and always have been, independent kingdom before the time I noticed they switched away from tribal.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Does Denmark (or Sweden for that matter) have an easier culture action which makes them feudal than, for example Finnish-ran Kingdom of Finland or Rurikid? I find it bullshitty that on my "lets make Ukonusko great again"-game Denmark got feudal around ~1050 and their home county isn't even close to matching the development requirements I have for becoming feudal. Their religion isn't even reformed and they are, and always have been, independent kingdom before the time I noticed they switched away from tribal.

I am very interested in knowing this too, given that as the Kingdom of Sapmi I'm eventually going to want to stop being tribal. I took the Ukonosko holy site in Estonia just now, and discovered something else annoying: if you capture your opponent's heir, you get a huge war score bonus, but if he dies of his injuries in captivity, it's as if you never captured him! I didn't execute him, I didn't release him, I can't tell my court physician to keep him well...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

zonohedron posted:

if you capture your opponent's heir, you get a huge war score bonus, but if he dies of his injuries in captivity, it's as if you never captured him!

Yup. The war score bonus is because holding your opponent's heir means you have leverage over them. If the heir dies, your leverage goes with them, and your war score drops to reflect that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Maybe some feudal lord took control?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

You can also bootstrap yourself into feudalism early by becoming the vassal of a feudal lord, could’ve been that

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
You can also marry an heir into a feudal system of equal rank. Inheriting the Abbasid Caliphate and my original tribal East Africa empire was perhaps a bit OP, but w/e.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dwesa posted:

Maybe some feudal lord took control?

I do not think so but I have to double check that; I am still about ~50 years away from going feudal, and its annoying that I cannot build temples or cities or baronies, and I did reform the Ukonusko with one lucky successor who was not meant to be, and aggravatingly the Danish/Scandinavian norse-thing didn't but got feudal anyway. Right now Ukonusko or compatible does not have feudal followers so that is not an option.

Also as a sidenote, is it more beneficial to do "influence" and "interest" at the same time on the cultural aspects, or is it flat-rate where you should accelerate the other tribal ideas with "interest" while the influence does the other? There is really no information if the bonus is flat-rate or additive.

EDIT: Also I find the Ukonusko "Praise Perkele" to be funny, it literally means "Praise the Satan" whereas "Praise Ukko" would be "Praise our God". Swedish developers should know the difference. If you hear someone saying PERKELE its basically "for fucks sake", or literally "by the devil". :)

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 31, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

I do not think so but I have to double check that; I am still about ~50 years away from going feudal, and its annoying that I cannot build temples or cities or baronies, and I did reform the Ukonusko with one lucky successor who was not meant to be, and aggravatingly the Danish/Scandinavian norse-thing didn't but got feudal anyway. Right now Ukonusko or compatible does not have feudal followers so that is not an option.

Also as a sidenote, is it more beneficial to do "influence" and "interest" at the same time on the cultural aspects, or is it flat-rate where you should accelerate the other tribal ideas with "interest" while the influence does the other? There is really no information if the bonus is flat-rate or additive.

EDIT: Also I find the Ukonusko "Praise Perkele" to be funny, it literally means "Praise the Satan" whereas "Praise Ukko" would be "Praise our God". Swedish developers should know the difference. :)

Are you talking about "cultural fascination" and "exposure"? The two bonuses are additive.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: Also I find the Ukonusko "Praise Perkele" to be funny, it literally means "Praise the Satan" whereas "Praise Ukko" would be "Praise our God". Swedish developers should know the difference. If you hear someone saying PERKELE its basically "for fucks sake", or literally "by the devil". :)

The devs probably leaned on modern scholarship and some guesses for that one. The word comes from the name of the Indo-European thunder deity (cf. Perun and Perkunas), and it might have been the original name of Ukko.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just popping in to recommend Pagan as a fun one to do for those that like playing tall. They are in the south-east most of the map. Your culture, Burmese, is mostly around your main duchy, which means tech wise it’s easy to invest. Your capital and two other counties in the duchy are farmlands, so they make for easy money. You’re also the biggest local duke by far so forming the kingdoms of pagan as security for invasion is quite doable.

Been having fun so far and I assume when I get bored of playing tall I’ll just create a warlike religion, convert the country, and head off to conquer India.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Just switch your fascination and run the math. There are times when it's fine to overlap, and times when it's overkill, mostly depending on your Learning and that one perk.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Are pagans too stable?..

I had my Viking expansion game. Started as Ivar with his tiny duchy, second character managed to create the empire of Britannia and vassalize a lot of people. Outside of Britain Isles he had kingdoms of Denmark, Frisia. His son of no particilar worth inhereted and... Nothing happened. I have Christian Feudal vassals but even they don't care, so now my character got himself holy place in Holland, kingdom of Britanny and even duchy of Rome because why not. The hope is to have a theologian son who will reform our viking faith. I understand that switching to feudal relatively early would be hurtful so I'm probably looking at something like 100 years of meditative expansion. Huh.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Obviously the blood line legacy is the best, but is there a consensus on what's the 2nd best?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Popoto posted:

Just popping in to recommend Pagan as a fun one to do for those that like playing tall. They are in the south-east most of the map.

Does the Cucumber King ever pop up as anything other than a weird historical thing you can see in the title history for that Duchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does the Cucumber King ever pop up as anything other than a weird historical thing you can see in the title history for that Duchy?

Hahaha what?