Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the rare ok hn post

bastawhiz 6 hours ago [–]

You're going to need to present some evidence for this, I think. I don't even know what an "inferior toilet" is. I've pooped in a lot of SF toilets and can assure you that they've all gotten the job done satisfactorily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

centimeter 10 days ago | parent [–] | on: How much does it cost to send 1kg to lower earth o...

I can't stand stuff like that. There's no way the actual negative externality of a small bag of trash is $2. If I lived in a place with a ridiculous rule like that, I would be more inclined to protest the rule by dumping illegally than going along with it.
Trash disposal here is great; free unlimited household trash disposal if you drive it to a dump, with only larger things like tires and mattresses costing money (but a very reasonable amount, like $2/tire).

centimeter 19 days ago [–]

> when there are ubiquitous firearms and not is the level of fear and nervousness among strained relations
100% disagree. The saying "armed society is polite society" is absolutely true, at least when it comes to the interaction between arms and western social ethics. Obviously your results may vary in the Congo or Chicago or whatever.
Even if we accept the (most likely contextually false) premise that reducing firearms access for non-criminals also meaningfully reduces firearms access for criminals, I do not have any preference (ceteris paribus) between getting shot, stabbed, or having my head bashed in. In fact, I might prefer getting shot.
In the more realistic case where criminal firearm attainability is less than perfectly correlated with non-criminal firearm attainability, it makes sense for non-criminals to be armed as well.
There's also the MAD dynamic; people are less likely to physically escalate if there is a possibility of a high-severity response.
> it’s a cheap solution
A murder charge for an unjustified shooting is hardly "cheap".

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tfw one of america's main cities is not actually in america

also, I wonder why that poster singles out the chicago and says it isnt part of western culture?

:thunk:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im the random libertarian invocation of legalese

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"the Congo or Chicago or whatever" is a hell of a phrase

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

AFashionableHat posted:

I can't tell if HN's idiot parade flagged me for saying that "Facebook may not support hate but is apparently okay with it" or for noting that they don't do anything about right-wing hate speech all over the platform, but both are funny.

aren’t you supposed to link it if you mention your own HN post or comment in this thread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

eschaton posted:

aren’t you supposed to link it if you mention your own HN post or comment in this thread

hi so how does it end

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

rjmccall posted:

yeah, the pointer authentication spec/whitepaper got posted to hn and i felt obliged to sign up and answer questions in case there was anything good. obviously there wasn’t, because hn is 60% javascript developers who think they’re brilliant hackers and 40% moribund old farts who think they’re way too cool for hn but do spend an awful lot of time there, but i put the work in just in case

Yeah, I stopped reading HN comments under my articles after the first three posted there had only useless ones.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

globular-toast 3 hours ago [–]

What's troubling to me is that people like you act like some kind of saviour for women yet you don't appear to have ever spoken to or really, really listened to one of them.
I don't presume to know what any individual's aspirations are, but I do know that a species doesn't survive if its members don't want to reproduce. I also know that women's happiness has only declined over the past several decades despite what we are told are great strides towards women's liberties and opportunities. The women around me are under incredible stress due to the opposing pressures of a society that wants them to work and "be strong" and their own biological clock telling them to reproduce before it's too late. Just look at the statistics on anti-depressant and other drug use amongst women. You'd have to be crazy to think this is healthy.
You cry misogyny but it's you who is killing them. This isn't what women want. They don't want to go to work. Who the hell would?

globular-toast 10 days ago | parent [–] | on: Richard Ford: Do we really need friends? (2017)

Yeah. I also struggled with that. We are told from a young age that we need both friends and someone to have sex with. It makes you feel pretty inadequate to be missing one or both. But at some point in my life I realised I just don't care what others think. I do have someone to have sex with, and if I absolutely had to use a term I despise, "best friend", she would probably be it, but ultimately the only constant in my life is me. Everyone else is on their own path. Our paths may cross. They may even align at times. But our paths are our own.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
jfc get therapy

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i mean the whole thread is a shitmine since apparently some right wing influencer decided the fatality debate tactic meme against discussing structural inequality is calling it "unfalsifiable" despite the rampant observability of unequal outcomes but on with the hn show of science and culture understanders

reasonable man proposes reasonable solution of reforming the death squads and concentration camps

quote:

tomp 51 minutes ago | undown [–]

This is the typical “moat-and-bayley” characterisation. If the first side (pro-woke) were actually fighting for a better world (and not just in the name of bullying and vengeance), they’d have actual suggestions. “Defund the police” is a braindead 100% retarded and completely unrealistic idea. Reasonable alternatives are e.g. “stop the drug war”, “stop plea deals”, “reform the sentencing system”, “stop civil forfeiture”, etc. but clearly nobody is interested in actual solutions.

time for some game theory

quote:

baryphonic 10 hours ago [–]

Tit-for-tat is a dominant strategy. Promising to cancel the cancelers if you are canceled may seem hypocritical, but it may be a particularly valuable tactic.
As Yoda says, a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

quote:

baryphonic 9 hours ago [–]

I agree. While I hate "canceling" as a tactic, tit-for-tat is a dominant strategy for ensuring cooperation in repeated games. Cancel culture only works because, like the Gestapo/Stasi/NKVD/KGB, the targets are seemingly random and the agents show up in force. But they don't torture or kill, and they don't really possess the level of asymmetric power of actual totalitarian state actors.
As such, canceling the cancelers would likely be useful under the following constraints:

1) Publicly state your intention to cancel anyone who cancels you; and 2) Only cancel people defensively, never on offense; 3) If the canceler professes a change of heart, cease the cancellation, accept the apology (forgiveness/mercy and relatively simple reintegration for offenders is one asymmetric advantage the free speech side has going for it); 4) Form a mutual-aid alliance with likeminded people, such that the cancelation of one implies the cancelation of all; 5) Never under any circumstance apologize or "bend the knee" to a cancel mob, even if you are not completely in the right - you are not dealing with people who want to treat you as an equal, but totalitarians who want to control you.

I think if people who are in favor of free speech (myself included) followed those rules, cancel culture would at least plateau. A couple of prominent cancelers like Anima Anandkumar getting stung would probably allow cooler heads to prevail.

and there came out from the camp of the evopsychs a pundit named steven of pinker, whose intellect was six cubits and a span

quote:

say_it_as_it_is 13 hours ago [–]

Many industries are having the "and then they came for me"[1] moment, but it is particularly pronounced in academia. Intellectual giants such as Steven Pinker are attacked regularly by fellow academics on the basis of not conforming. People such as the group here must take a stand to stop this behavior.
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_..

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Der_Einzige 15 days ago [–]

Maybe I'm the ultimate hedonist, but this seems not-dystopian to me.
I wrote an essay back in high school for some english class with exactly the same sentiment when I had to read brave new world. I'd fking love to be either engineered (brave new world) or have an ML algorithm learn how to generate the perfect stimuli for me. If they can do this while avoiding all of the negative effects of normal drugs (and again, brave new world does this with Soma) - I'd be the first to do them.
I think most critiques of hedonism are basically more refined versions of "you should hate nature!". Seeing how John Stewart Mill regarded folks who describe themselves as hedonists made me realize that western Philosophy has a whole project to keep people from enjoying themselves:
"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they know only their own side of the question.”
Apparently, I am irrational if I choose to give up knowledge or freedom for pleasure. It shocks me about how universal this sentiment is within western philosophy, and how few actually critique it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

and there came out from the camp of the evopsychs a pundit named steven of pinker, whose intellect was six cubits and a span

pinker blocked me on twitter for repeated posting of that picture with him + epstein

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fritz posted:

Der_Einzige 15 days ago [–]

Maybe I'm the ultimate hedonist, but this seems not-dystopian to me.
I wrote an essay back in high school for some english class with exactly the same sentiment when I had to read brave new world. I'd fking love to be either engineered (brave new world) or have an ML algorithm learn how to generate the perfect stimuli for me. If they can do this while avoiding all of the negative effects of normal drugs (and again, brave new world does this with Soma) - I'd be the first to do them.
I think most critiques of hedonism are basically more refined versions of "you should hate nature!". Seeing how John Stewart Mill regarded folks who describe themselves as hedonists made me realize that western Philosophy has a whole project to keep people from enjoying themselves:
"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they know only their own side of the question.”
Apparently, I am irrational if I choose to give up knowledge or freedom for pleasure. It shocks me about how universal this sentiment is within western philosophy, and how few actually critique it.

sounds like this guy should get himself a lobotomy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what does this person think "canceling" entails. does he think there are magic words that make people hate you? like i want to understand what kind of world he lives in where a blog post that says "IF YOU CANCEL ME I WILL CANCEL YOU BACK" means something.

like, he gets caught dropping n-bombs or something and people say "dude stop being so racist" and he responds with "Nuh uh, you're canceled" and instead of people going "wtf are you talking about, you racist shitbird?" they slowly shrink into a corncob?

i just don't get it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s called imagination

This person doesn’t interact in any significant manner outside of the hn comments section

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
mods plz rename me to "the ultimate hedonist" and give me a hedonism bot av, tyia

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

mods plz rename me to "the ultimate hedonist" and give me a hedonism bot av, tyia

make sure it look like a dishrag

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HN is taking the death of Flash well

quote:

Hell no. This is essentially the rise of authoritarianism...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MattGaiser 1 hour ago [–]

It is mentioned in the article, but I also have seen this anecdotally.
How often do school libraries have things boys want to read? In high school, even among those who did read, very few of us ever used the library because it mostly had fantasy novels, fiction, etc. My friend group wanted to read about history and economics, topics not really covered.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

How often do school libraries have things boys want to read? In high school, even among those who did read, very few of us ever used the library because it mostly had fantasy novels, fiction, etc. My friend group wanted to read about history and economics, topics not really covered.
I'm surprised the Young Libertarian Club didn't want to shut down the school library entirely.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

sure I like visiting hn. I also like finding broken bottles on the street and shoving them in my face

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

Dear Mr. MattGaiser,

In your December 31, 2020 post, you asked how often school libraries have books that boys like to read. The answer to this question is: "always."

Regards,
BBGS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bet mr gaiser's friend group was the kids who wore top hats and capes to school

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i bet mr gaiser's friend group was the kids who wore top hats and capes to school
Those kids probably actually read fiction. His friend group were the kids who wore ties even though there was no dress code.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

drat i knew schools in the US were underfunded but no books about history????

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

sorry kids, due to funding shortfalls we only have book budgets for math and english. for social studies we will be wheeling in a tv on a cart and watching cnn

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
they just looked for ayn rand's novels in the history section and couldn't find them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Those kids probably actually read fiction. His friend group were the kids who wore ties even though there was no dress code.

Roller briefcase kids

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Internet Janitor posted:

they just looked for ayn rand's novels in the history section and couldn't find them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"can't read the whole thing" undoubtedly because they're too busy doing unpaid overtime to read a damned article

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone posted this ("Most of What You Read on the Internet is Written by Insane People") on hn.

In this title, "insane people" is just a humorous way of saying that people who spend time doing things like writing reviews on the internet are not representative of average people simply by virtue of doing those things, which most people don't do, so I'm sure hn can totally have a reasonable discussion about this without people immediately deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of "insane people" and disingenuously twisting the point to suit their own agenda, right?

quote:

jcims 10 hours ago [–]

I'm a middle-aged, white, cis male heterosexual married father that has started and run companies, hired and managed engineers, make ok money, lean a bit right of center politically, worked for the government, large banks, healthcare and retail and lives in a rural location in the midwest.

What you've described is something I experience in almost every facet of my life. I'm so blandly stereotypical it hurts yet somehow the rampant generalizations that are used to describe me, my values and my motivations are so hilariously wrong the vast majority of time that I don't even bother to argue because there's nothing to even work with as a ground truth.

The most recent reality check I've had is this year when I finally started using Twitter. I loaded up on folks in my industry only to be blindsided with a barrage of insanity. Honestly think that 75% of the people in my feed in serious need of a wellness check. I can't imagine the damage being done to young folks observing the behavior of adults on that platform.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Move over "dark and stormy night," we have a new worst opening sentence

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i bet that dude thinks peeps dont make jokes on the internet

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
reminded me of:

“Basically, I’m just fed up with the fact that I’m cis-gendered, I’m a white male, and I lean right, towards the Republican side,” said Fears, 28, wearing a pin of the 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf of the Waffen-SS. “And I get demonized if I don’t accept certain things.”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Look I just think the uniforms look snappy okay

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

lognoise 37 minutes ago [–]

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

"Blood on your hands" - oh boo-boo.

Blood washes out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

Blood washes out.
I feel like that person at least has more self awareness than most HN posters.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MononcQc posted:

Blood washes out.

This literally describes the vast majority of yosposters, so, you know, glass houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i only work at startups, its more of an organic farm to table sort of evil, you know