Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they have been replaced by pcie x1 slots, which have such potential for random cool poo poo, but nobody ever uses because serial ports are dead*, everybody just uses onboard sound or an external USB sound interface, and all the good nvme cards are x4 or higher

* my x570 board has a serial header and you're god damned right i bought the little backplate + ribbon cable to hook to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i sure fucken do

remember the multi io cards that had 2 serial ports, a printer port, ide and floppy all on one?

fucken game changers

we had a ps/1 expert with one of those and it made that box a beast for the time

i pulled the 5.25/3.5 combo drive for an athlon tower build and those old dos games like captain power were unplayable since they were speed limited by the cpu clock lol

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I paid 995 marks for the Voodoo 3 3000 and it was fine for playing Half-Life, MDK 2, The Operative No-One Lives Forever, etc.

glide made hl games and mods run so smoothly. it was one of the few steps down in quality when i switched from a v4 4500 (lol) to a gf2 mx400

oh thats a funny tech i forgot doing; using a pci video card for secondary monitors, so a v3 3000 was my secondary even when i had a card that could do two because it handled the display acceleration well enough without eating into game video memory

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

* my x570 board has a serial header and you're god damned right i bought the little backplate + ribbon cable to hook to it

well yeah, you need to be able to plug in teletypes and video terminals

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just lmao if you don't have an RTS pin on a db9 ready to trigger the push-to-talk line on your ham radio

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
speaking of teletypes, I have a couple of these on the way

wonder how long it’ll be before I find someone selling the optional keypad

also I guess I need to find a source of roll paper and ribbons for it

I want to use one for OPCON on an HP rx2620 running OpenVMS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there was a time in the early Internet, before Netscape, where it seemed like ordinary but “serious” users and professionals might have to know their way around UNIX

thus there were books like this, which you could use to learn UNIX with the lovable cast of everyone’s favorite comic about birds working at a conservative newspaper, “Shoe”

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lhwb_OckQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I had a voodoo banshee because I needed a 2d and 3d card, those were the days.

I got half life free with it and that was like a third of the price so that was a pretty good deal imho

1 video card for the price of 1.5 life

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my first pc was a 486DLC with a VLB graphics card

I was jelly of peeps with 486 DXes but then a bit later my friends dad who worked at the university gave me a 486 DX4-100 and 20mb of ram. I guess I got some weirdo to switch out the mobo? I sure didn’t do it

anyway I was jealous of pci gfx cards and gave up on PCs due to being poor/discovering girls and drugs until my early 20s. so i missed the quake/hl era. welp

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i still have the vtech 486sx-25 that my parents got in 1993 or thereabouts. more recently i got some stuff on ebay so now its running a dx2-66 with 32mb ram and it runs warcraft2 and tie fighter like a dream

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

glittering prizes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the 486SX is pretty funny tech poo poo

486 with the FPU disabled (and possibly failed) plus the ability to add a replacement 486 (aka 487SX) without the disabled FPU and defer to it for everything

market segmentation via figuring out a way to recover value from manufacturing defects

I half wonder if that’s an idea Intel got from Motorola

see, the 68EC030 was a 68030 with MMU disabled for cheaper, “for embedded use,” and the 68LC040 (FPU disabled) and 68EC040 (FPU & MMU disabled) continued that, and so did the 68060 series

the genius of the Intel 486SX is that they got people to pay more for 486SX + 487SX than for the 486DX by making them socket-incompatible; all of Motorola’s 68030/040/060 variants were pin-compatible so if you wanted to upgrade you just had to swap the part, and personal computer & upgrade manufacturers almost universally let you (and workstation manufacturers just used the top tier part in the first place)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah that's exactly what the setup is in that machine, the sx is soldered on the board and then the motherboard also has a separate socket for plugging in a faster cpu later (where the dx2-66 is now)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i sure fucken do

remember the multi io cards that had 2 serial ports, a printer port, ide and floppy all on one?

fucken game changers

hell yeah COM4 krew represent!!

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

if you grew up in silicon valley, you may have driven past wo'0 ideafarm, usually somewhere around the stanford campus in palo alto.

A few years ago he got the van he lived out of confiscated by the city after his signs took a more sinister tone in the light of gay marriage bans being struck down in california.

His whole thing was that he was trying to create an "operating system" on top of windows that promised to end all selfishness or something. If you wanted to contribute, and you were a teenager, you could buy him dinner at a local diner. Not a sex thing, he just thought teenagers were the only ones who "got it".

Anyways, after like 20 years he finally shipped:

https://github.com/ideafarm/ideafarm.home.1

quote:

All 1/2 million lines of code were crafted by the same hands, by a man committed to craftsmanship who saw an awesome potential in the C++ language that no one else appears to have seen. IPDOS (tm) development has been the best kept secret in the software industry. Think of IPDOS (tm) as a "weapon of mass CONstruction", designed to make coding fun again while reviving innovation and empowering the independent software craft.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blink polyfill posted:

if you grew up in silicon valley, you may have driven past wo'0 ideafarm, usually somewhere around the stanford campus in palo alto.

A few years ago he got the van he lived out of confiscated by the city after his signs took a more sinister tone in the light of gay marriage bans being struck down in california.

His whole thing was that he was trying to create an "operating system" on top of windows that promised to end all selfishness or something. If you wanted to contribute, and you were a teenager, you could buy him dinner at a local diner. Not a sex thing, he just thought teenagers were the only ones who "got it".

quote:

Executive overview: IPDOS (tm) introduces a novel vision for server and desktop/laptop software technology that inserts a new software layer between a "base operating system" (such as Windows) and application programs (such as Windows console programs, windowed programs, and services). Application programs written for IPDOS (tm) are portable in that they run on any host that IPDOS (tm) has been ported to. IPDOS (tm) is a "piggyback operating system" in the sense that it runs on top of a base operating system and presents an alternative, innovative API to application developers.

Congrats on developing the JRE several decades after it might have been meaningful to do so?

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

i think it's more of a weird terry davis energy kinda thing, he thinks he can change the world by having teenagers let him use their cpu cycles or something, it's not really clear

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Volmarias posted:

Congrats on developing the JRE several decades after it might have been meaningful to do so?
itym 1970s hottest computer technology, the ucsd p-system

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Terry Davis at least gave us TempleOS, which was absolutely wild but so completely different from everything that it was nothing short of fascinating, and a nice example of the blurry line between madness and genius.

This dude's greatest innovation here appears to be... Making strings even more annoying?

quote:

The "stroke string" innovation: Legacy console and graphics programs manipulate 8-bit ASCII characters. Contemporary Windows programs manipulate 16-bit Unicode characters. IPDOS (tm) applications manipulate "stroke strings", in which each stroke contains three 32-bit integers. Each instance of the strokeS class can thus represent any Unicode text character, but can also represent a graphics element such as "set color to...", "draw line to...", "move cursor to...". A strokeS instance can also represent an element of a search pattern, such as "One of: 'one' 'two' 'three' 'a really long choice' " (IPDOS (tm) search patterns can emulate wildcard and regular expression searches but are more powerful in that subexpressions are fully recursive.) A strokeS instance can even represent an animated glyph that provides all of the functionality that is called a "child window" in the Windows API. By replacing the concept of a "character string" with that of a "stroke string", IPDOS (tm) eliminates the distinction between console and graphics programs. Every IPDOS (tm) application has the simplicity and structure of a console program, but all of the power of a graphics program.

"Sadly" he hasn't finished the graphical system so it's all console only right now, so you can't even see this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Terry Davis at least gave us TempleOS, which was absolutely wild but so completely different from everything that it was nothing short of fascinating, and a nice example of the blurry line between madness and genius.
Maybe TempleOS set too high a standard for crazy person operating systems.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mystes posted:

Maybe TempleOS set too high a standard for crazy person operating systems.

Makes u think

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

blink polyfill posted:

more like idpispopd amirite

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Volmarias posted:

Terry Davis at least gave us TempleOS,

oh yeah for sure, completely different levels of technical achievement, let alone purpose

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, if you want a ill advised OS on top of your OS for programming by wacky people there's already Squeak.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PCjr sidecar posted:

more like idpispopd amirite

actual irl lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i spent like 2 years thinking this was real because it's perfect ballmer

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

he still beat the gnu hurd to market

also, re: thread title: the gnu hurd

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jesus WEP posted:

same

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

this is the first time I've seen it and I refuse to believe it's not real

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

this is the first time I've seen it and I refuse to believe it's not real

same

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

the bing tape is real

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pardot posted:

the bing tape is real
funny tech poo poo u just remembered: the bing tape is real

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

mystes posted:

Also, if you want a ill advised OS on top of your OS for programming by wacky people there's already Squeak.

Also, if you want a ill advised OS on top of your OS for programming by wacky people there's already Chrome.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Penguissimo posted:

he still beat the gnu hurd to market

also, re: thread title: the gnu hurd

was Gnu/Hurd ever on it’s way to become a real OS? did they just give up when Linux actually worked?

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

axolotl farmer posted:

was Gnu/Hurd ever on it’s way to become a real OS? did they just give up when Linux actually worked?

i think it was because they spent more effort on their acronym than building a kernel

quote:

It's time [to] explain the meaning of "Hurd". "Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird" stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth". We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually recursive acronyms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

blink polyfill posted:

It's time [to] explain the meaning of "Hurd". "Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird" stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth". We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of wankers.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

i was thinking about that brief period when hardware accelerated window managers were popular... wobbly windows, the rotating 3D cube workspaces, unnecessary transparency, etc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

enlightenment was a great window manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I loved enlightenment