Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dabir posted:

anyone have another copy of this handy? I would like to see ham fat and mashed potato and inflict it on other people

I can still see it just fine. does moving it to imgur help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

I always eat black eyed peas but never heard of greens for new years

:same:

Probably just a thing that normally goes together I guess. I'll be making hoppin' John for NYD myself, sure beats what I grew up on which was just plain, unseasoned black eyed peas.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tiggum posted:

It's not like that food would otherwise have gone to feed the hungry. Realistically, it makes no difference whether he wastes that food or not because the world is set up in such a way that more food than necessary or desirable is available to some people while less than required is available to others. You can go to your local supermarket, buy a bunch of food and throw it straight in the garbage and you're not depriving anyone of anything because the people who needed it were never going to get that food anyway.
I don't especially disagree with this being a partial lie to tell yourself because you're right, that exact food is not likely to end up where it's needed. But especially by the time it crystalizes as a cultural need to overbuy and throw out excess it does distort the supply chain as one (of countless) direct reason the food is not likely to end up where it's needed. This will only get amplified as arable land disappears and the food waste trolley problems become more literal and less unknowable supply chain slack issues.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

dog nougat posted:

More disturbing to me than the abomination of "food" is just how disgusting and dirty literally every single surface is in that kitchen.

There's a saying in finnish: "Cleanliness is half the food". I think that picture kind of verifies it through negation.

LordSaturn posted:

I can still see it just fine. does moving it to imgur help?

Thanks, you probably had it cached. Good catch, I was too lazy to upload to Imgur myself, even though I knew it would be removed from the original source in a while (it's an image board).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I would eat this but only because black eyed peas and greens and bacon is loving delicious.

e:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Dec 31, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hawowanlawow posted:

I always eat black eyed peas but never heard of greens for new years

Black eyed peas for your change and greens for your folding money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fleshlight Cordon Bleu

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
everybody I know who does hoppin' john on New Year's eats greens with it. some people say this:

ulmont posted:

Black eyed peas for your change and greens for your folding money.

and some people say it's luck and money, respectively

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Where I'm from you have to -you simply MUST- eat cabbage and black eye peas with pork chops/pork roast and cornbread on NY. The cabbage and pork are for money and the black eyes are for luck. The cornbread is to soak up all the luck out of the pot liquor. Or to cover in butter and cane syrup if you're my Daddy. I haven't gone one single year without following this tradition. I can't even imagine a world where people don't know about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Superstition is bad luck, imo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't knock superstition that's bad juju

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eat black eyed peas because they taste good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

eat black eyed peas because they taste good.

seriously, you're making me want them...they are extremely good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It sure worked well for 2020

Alt: imagine how bad 2020 would have been if you hadn’t done it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm wishing it was tomorrow already so I can eat my black eyed peas

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
usually get my good luck peas at my mom's house but that's not happening this year due to the Plague. guess i'm gonna have to make it myself.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
What in the actual hell are you guys talking about? I have never heard of this tradition in my entire life and reading the last page or so made me feel like I was having a stroke. What region(s) is this from????

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Verus posted:

What in the actual hell are you guys talking about? I have never heard of this tradition in my entire life and reading the last page or so made me feel like I was having a stroke. What region(s) is this from????

we eat it in the south, but also probably the north, but also it's delicious and yes it's traditional.

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/why-do-we-eat-black-eyed-peas-on-new-years-day/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I lived in "the north" for half my life and no one eats those things for any reason let alone makes a thing out of it

First I ever heard of it was when I moved to GA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

I lived in "the north" for half my life and no one eats those things for any reason let alone makes a thing out of it

First I ever heard of it was when I moved to GA

Indeed, that's why it's considered to be a "southern" tradition

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Last year, which feels like yesterday now, I did the carolina version, "Hoppin John," and it was legit af. The difference is some other savory herbs and green onion on top, and bacon.

(not mine but was similar)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
20 years in The South, and I have never heard anybody treat black eyed peas as a traditional new year food.

Thanksgiving, yea, but not new year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

20 years in The South, and I have never heard anybody treat black eyed peas as a traditional new year food.

It's certainly a big thing in GA and north FL at least

Restaurants have it as a special side of the day and everything

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Schubalts posted:

I've grown up with it, and it was a thing in every state (IL, TX, FL, VA) I've lived in other than CA. And even in CA it cropped up with non white/non Hispanic people.

Leave it to goons to be mystified by common things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

iwentdoodie posted:

I've grown up with it, and it was a thing in every state (IL, TX, FL, VA) I've lived in other than CA. And even in CA it cropped up with non white/non Hispanic people.

My parents are from VA and NC maybe you have to be from the south :shrug:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's potato salad stored in the fridge crisper drawer

For six years?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always had black eyed peas for new years in Texas, but part of my family is pretty drat country so that's where we got it from

my great grandma was extremely superstitious. wouldn't sweep after dark, and way more poo poo like that I can't remember. one time my mom was playing with the chickens, and when one of the hens crowed she RAN over to wring its neck

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iwentdoodie posted:

As a Californian, I’m just glad to learn a new thing I had no idea about

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I'm from California and my family always ate black eyed peas with hog jowl on New Year's Eve. My dad's family came from Arkansas though, so there's a southern connection there.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

hawowanlawow posted:

one time my mom was playing with the chickens, and when one of the hens crowed she RAN over to wring its neck

People back then very serious about choking their chicken.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

Like I already don't want to know how many ingredients a regular episode uses up between iterating the recipe and multiple takes, or where failed attempts go, and those aim to produce an actual food item.

Episodes from the before times mentioned having friends over to help eat it all and he's also mentioned giving stuff he makes on the show to his neighbors. There's still food waste I'm sure but it seems like he tries to limit it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Benny Harvey posted:

For six years?

Nah, it's a six year tradition.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
pro hoppin john move is heirloom cow peas rather than black-eyed peas

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
my dad texted this in the family group text today with the caption

"game day snacks"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What is the game? Is it Jigsaw's?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Poopelyse posted:

my dad texted this in the family group text today with the caption

"game day snacks"

I love a plate of nachos but there's something about the lighting that trips me off.

It goes in the Martha Stewart photography folder of "probably good, light and plating makes it look bad"

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
That sure is a half-eaten plate of nachos.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I have important news:
https://twitter.com/huynasaur/status/1342677925955477504?s=20

loving dortio noodles and baja blast broth/egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd eat it but be moderately angry about it.