Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lamebot posted:

They left Paradis without devastating the landscape so there's that. How they did it is a head scratcher. They must have left the island in single file formation :v:

We in fact see them converging on Eren single file, following the former outline of the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lamebot posted:

They left Paradis without devastating the landscape so there's that. How they did it is a head scratcher. They must have left the island in single file formation :v:
they snuck out like an old cartoon character sneaks around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgvk_511dGw&hd=1

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I'd love an effortpost of what the rumbling would mean for the enviroment on this world. All that heat from millions of colossal titans and the dust they're kicking into the atmosphere would probably gently caress climate real good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are there millions? I thought it would be a thousand at most.

EDIT: The wiki claims it's tens of millions.... that makes no sense wtf.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

No Wave posted:

Them walls were big

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
wow... the rumbling has reduced industrial pollution and littering... nature is healing, maybe we were the titans

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Frionnel posted:

I'd love an effortpost of what the rumbling would mean for the enviroment on this world. All that heat from millions of colossal titans and the dust they're kicking into the atmosphere would probably gently caress climate real good.

They'd locally destroy ecosystems, with repercussions to migrating species and some rainfall pattern impacts as a result of changing forests into grasslands, but that's about it as far as effects that'd last beyond a couple seasons.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

No Wave posted:

The "tens of millions" thing is actually something that King Fritz says. Just based on what we know about the dimensions of the Wall Titans and the approximate size of Eldia, it's unlikely that there are any more than 600,000 Wall Titans.

Which is still an enormous number, of course, but, like, yeah. If we assume all of the Wall Titans are about 13meters wide based on their approximate height, a straight line of 600,000 of them, standing even just a little bit further apart than shoulder to shoulder, would make a line about one fifth as long as the Earth.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 31, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Huh, just realized a connection between the Rumbling and the timing of Historia's labor, Ragnarok and the painful rebirth of the world.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Man what portion of people had to be titanized to make that wall? Assuming same historical progression rate that would place Eldia in early 1700's population. What were the general population sizes of countries back then?

I know I'm going way too in depth, but I am now curious.

I'm going to use the British empire as my example population, since they would be as spread out as much as the Eldian Empire supposedly was (allowing for Eldians to exist as minorities in many regions and countries)

In 1700 there were 9,131,239 British throughout the empire, 5.1 million in England alone. Considering the Eldian king just hosed off and brought the majority of his people to the island, let's say half of the British population was able to evacuate. That's 2.55 million, so that is near a quarter of the population turned into the wall.

Good thing the king could mind wipe, using a quarter of your people as building material is definitely revolution worthy.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 31, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering eren can just pull old titans out of the ether
I bet its some PATHS bullshit

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

The "tens of millions" thing is actually something that King Fritz says. Just based on what we know about the dimensions of the Wall Titans and the approximate size of Eldia, it's unlikely that there are any more than 600,000 Wall Titans.

Which is still an enormous number, of course, but, like, yeah. If we assume all of the Wall Titans are about 13meters wide based on their approximate height, a straight line of 600,000 of them, standing even just a little bit further apart than shoulder to shoulder, would make a line about one fifth as long as the Earth.

So when the titans are around halfway around the planet how far apart would they be? Could they have spread far enough apart?

Also seems like a good survival strategy would be to fly over the titans to the already trampled side. Although I guess my assumption is that they eventually converge at the opposite side of the globe and just stop instead of constantly circling the world

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Good luck surviving on the trampled land when all the idiot cows and other animals are dead. You could survive on birds and fish maybe

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

hatty posted:

Good luck surviving on the trampled land when all the idiot cows and other animals are dead. You could survive on birds and fish maybe

I think they would boil up the rivers and lakes. Fish ain't having a good time.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Then you might have a couple of weeks before all the birds die from not having anything to eat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clearly you just have someone turn into a Titan and then eat their regenerating flesh, gosh it's so simple.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

have ymir change the eldians’ bodies to survive off photosynthesis

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Flattening all the worlds forests would not only basically kill everyone on Paradis through lack of Oxygen, the release of all that carbon into the atmosphere would make real world global warming look like a joke. Eren could commit his genocide in a more economically friendly manner however. Human populations even when not urbanized tend to be packed in certain areas. Eren doesn't have to Rumble the world in a perfect expanding circle to kill everyone. Most of the world is ocean which he can skip. He could basically have Titans make landfall at major ports/urban centers and then have make their way down the river valleys, breaking off groups to pursue fleeing refugees like those poor people at the cliff. He can kill like 99% of the world while sparing the environment.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

galagazombie posted:

Flattening all the worlds forests would not only basically kill everyone on Paradis through lack of Oxygen, the release of all that carbon into the atmosphere would make real world global warming look like a joke.

The bulk of the planet's oxygen is produced in the ocean, and even if all photosynthesis stopped tomorrow, oxygen depletion wouldn't be an issue for a few thousand years (even more so with the bulk of terrestrial life similarly extinguished).

Furthermore, while atmospheric carbon dioxide would certainly spike in the short term, a lack of continuous excess production combined with an immediate reabsorption as fast-growing plants colonize cleared areas means this spike would only last a few decades.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

The bulk of the planet's oxygen is produced in the ocean, and even if all photosynthesis stopped tomorrow, oxygen depletion wouldn't be an issue for a few thousand years (even more so with the bulk of terrestrial life similarly extinguished).

Furthermore, while atmospheric carbon dioxide would certainly spike in the short term, a lack of continuous excess production combined with an immediate reabsorption as fast-growing plants colonize cleared areas means this spike would only last a few decades.

Wouldnt erosion and desertification take in effect in the newly clear cut areas?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Depends a great deal on the local conditions, but what you'd expect to see in regions that are already fertile is an immediate transition to grasslands, while biomes that experience regular burns would likely recover.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Colossal Titans are also compacting the soil as they go.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The colossal titans will be composted to kickstart the new world.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
As a lurker, this IMO is exactly the kind of useful discussion that justifies the forums. Titan-apocalypse ecological impact debate is more informative and thought provoking than most of what I read in the actual news.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Beefstew posted:

What do you guys think the best fight in the series was? I think the best drama comes in the Marley and War for Paradis arcs, but I think the Battle of Shiganshina still might be the best battle overall.
I have a soft spot for the female titan inside the forest because the anime turned it into such a memorable horror moment via the music and visual direction.

But if we're talking titan on titan, it's gonna have to be the battle we're about to watch in the anime. I'm so freakin' excited for Eren to crack a cold one.

Donkringel posted:

Man what portion of people had to be titanized to make that wall?
Considering all the wall titans look exactly the same while no other titans we've seen thus far have looked like any other titans, I believe the wall titans are an entirely separate breed of titan that we don't actually know about. Very much PATHS bullshit and likely not even actual people.

Not to mention all the other things that make them peculiar, like their ability to be awake without sunlight, their ability to exist in their form w/o running out of energy, their feet designed specifically to trample in a pattern, their lack of hunger... On the other hand, if they transformed back into humans once the rumbling was over, that would more or less be a "repopulation" of the world.

Dumb twist: The wall titans were always shells meant to be re-animated with the spirits of all Eldians who died in the rumbling, thus recreating the world as all Eldians and thus no more conflict or some dumb poo poo like that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 3, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that we are talking of the Wall Titans... maybe this is injecting too much realism in a fiction series, but how are they supposed to destroy the world? If they formed a circle that is expanding outward, the farther away from the starting circle (the wall), the less dense the circle they are forming will be. They started shoulder to shoulder, but after walking a few kilometers, increasing the circle radius, there will be decent gaps between them. By the time they reach other countries, it will be a disaster only if they have bad luck and one of them happen to walk into a city, but it won't be a human extinction level as they are saying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that we are talking of the Wall Titans... maybe this is injecting too much realism in a fiction series, but how are they supposed to destroy the world? If they formed a circle that is expanding outward, the farther away from the starting circle (the wall), the less dense the circle they are forming will be. They started shoulder to shoulder, but after walking a few kilometers, increasing the circle radius, there will be decent gaps between them. By the time they reach other countries, it will be a disaster only if they have bad luck and one of them happen to walk into a city, but it won't be a human extinction level as they are saying.

It's looks to me like they are spreading out but walking in more of a cone then circle. They could also do the wide lawnmowing statagey. Or going in a line then turning around and doing the line next to them.

Also there is about 10 million of them. While it will take a while they can easily crush everything given enough time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think they’re going in one a big line and just going like this but bigger and just once

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Since Eren is controlling/directing them they don't really need to establish some sort of pattern that guarantees coverage.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Considering all the wall titans look exactly the same while no other titans we've seen thus far have looked like any other titans, I believe the wall titans are an entirely separate breed of titan that we don't actually know about. Very much PATHS bullshit and likely not even actual people.

The wall titans have fairly uniform body proportions but their heads are different.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Never mind what I said, then!

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Also most of the earth is water, they don’t need full coverage of a sphere

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the end, I guess it's a question if Eren controls or directs the Titans or not. If he does, then he will direct then towards land, he can make them a narrow front that sweeps like a broom in a specific direction, etc. If he doesn't and he just 'broke the seal', so to speak, then my argument holds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Turin Turambar posted:

In the end, I guess it's a question if Eren controls or directs the Titans or not. If he does, then he will direct then towards land, he can make them a narrow front that sweeps like a broom in a specific direction, etc.

I think that's what we've been shown. Like you said previously, if Eren wasn't herding them together each giant would be kilometers apart from the others.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

In the end, I guess it's a question if Eren controls or directs the Titans or not. If he does, then he will direct then towards land, he can make them a narrow front that sweeps like a broom in a specific direction, etc. If he doesn't and he just 'broke the seal', so to speak, then my argument holds.

Eren is currently behind the wall titans, following them. I don't think that's unreasonable for him to be directing them.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eren's only supervising one particular front of the Rumbling. We've already seen colossal titans stomping Not!England and and Not!Japan, which are thousands of miles from where Eren currently is. If he is controlling them all, range is not a factor.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Aye, we were explicitly shown Eren reaching every Eldian with his rumbling announcement. Distance doesn’t matter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I assume he’s behind this particular group because he’s seen that for his desired future to happen that’s where he’s got to be.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-01-04/attack-on-titan-manga-ends-on-april-9-after-11-years/.168113

Manga confirmed to finish up in April with 139.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope it sticks the landing, seems soon with all the things that still need resolution