Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

I have all 5, they're quite neat. I like how the cover looks and the big pages help a lot

I've got all the dark horse paperbacks and have been slowly replacing them with the omnibuses as they are coming out and they are pretty cool. I was pretty excited because a lot of the cropping of the pages in the paperbacks seemed pretty jacked up with word bubbles and stuff being cut off, but it still seems pretty bad in the omnis too. Is this just a manga thing, or is it a Berserk thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

It gets better later on, at least on the digital version, but this is from vol2 on Comixology just now, which I doubt is any different from the print version. I can't recall where it gets better, but a sort of unacceptably large amount of the early volumes have huge white spaces between splash page halves and noticeable typos.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

While we are ranting about existing Berserk publications...

Berserk MAX 18 is poo poo. Just outright leaving English sentences in, then putting the translation in another speechbubble on the same page. What the gently caress. I really like the Ocean God arc (minus mermaid teenager), but that one causes me unreasonable anger

/weirdlySpecificRantEnd

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I've got all the dark horse paperbacks and have been slowly replacing them with the omnibuses as they are coming out and they are pretty cool. I was pretty excited because a lot of the cropping of the pages in the paperbacks seemed pretty jacked up with word bubbles and stuff being cut off, but it still seems pretty bad in the omnis too. Is this just a manga thing, or is it a Berserk thing?

It has some cutting off, but it's infrequent. I think it's probably just the raw files they use for their Berserk prints so replicated across all copies/formats.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
EDIT: Disregard. I mistakenly posted something that was supposed to go into the Vinland Saga thread.

That said, I recently obtained omnibus volumes 2 and 3! Two more to go!

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 23, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

ETURNA posted:

EDIT: Disregard. I mistakenly posted something that was supposed to go into the Vinland Saga thread.

That said, I recently obtained omnibus volumes 2 and 3! Two more to go!

It’s going to be 3 more on Tuesday. Don’t know what I’m going to do when I run out of bookshelf space. Though at least they fit on the book shelf. I also have the Akira anniversary box that won’t fit on
any shelf. I guess I could take the books out of the box, but the box is too nice to just throw out...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Okay yeah my sister gifted me one of these volumes as a christmas gift, and yeah after getting one in my hands went ahead and locked down Vol 1-5 for the Golden Age arc and black swordsman prologue. I don't think I have enough attachment to the stories after the golden age to feel compelled to own them in print, but the quality is so high on that piece of publication I was just wowed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think my favourite volumes are like 24 to 32. Makes me really sad the newer anime butchered part of it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/NateMing/status/1344065160667750401?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i never watched the berserk anime, but i definitely have a bunch of susumu hirasawa tracks in my playlists. great music

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Well, we got 3 whole chapters this year...could have been worse

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

lezard_valeth posted:

Well, we got 3 whole chapters this year...could have been worse

If you live on the west coast there's still a whole 3 hours left in this year, there's still time!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Three chapters in 2020 is unironically really good imho. Like I guess this poo poo is technically a monthly but this is a labor of love and also this is the year Hunter x Hunter broke its last hiatus streak so I’m just happy that this comic hasn’t ducked up its author permanently at this point given its thirty-one years old (older than me!)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's technically a biweekly! Which seems like intense hubris from the start, considering the sheer density of even Berserk's earliest artwork.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I felt like we were expecting one more chapter before the year was out but alas. Given the increasing complexity of what he's presenting, I am okay with the reality it takes months to produce 10 pages. I really just wished we could have gotten to see Guts & Casca properly reunited this year. I just reread the Golden Age arc and his art kind of explodes right around the eclipse into the start of his more current style and it is v good.

e: I burned through this again thanks to those deluxe editions and I ended up with a few thoughts.

1) The pacing of the more recent arcs, really isn't bad, but the release schedule made it painful. In hindsight nothing really drags for too long (although I genuinely could have done without much of the sea god arc, beyond the additional party member it just feels kinda like filler on the way to Elf Island). I felt like the elf island arc took forever, but its really that it just took forever to be released.

2) Miura did a great job of foreshadowing and character tidbits even from the very start. All the apostles that Guts chases in the Black Swordswman Arc at the start are all the nasties that did in his best buds in the Band of the Hawk and I didn't really remember that until you line it up all in a go. It really gives me a lot of hope for whatever he has in plan for the finish because it's clear he's had this thing road mapped for a long while.

3) I still have no clue what actually Femto's end goal is as Griffith the Hawk of Light. Whatever that is, his desire for more, probably won't end with the securing of Falconia (which is just about where he's at).

4) As I made my way through this whole thing again, the more convinced I am that the finish won't really be some epic sword battle. Maybe a small bit of one because, but I just don't think at the end of the story between Guts/Casca/Griffith that actually a sword fight will resolve it. His reincarnation was impacted by having the tainted child of Guts/Casca integrated into the reincarnation behelit, and the full moons seem to manifest him as their proper child now that the child was reborn through reincarnation as well (Schierke suggests the spirit is the Elf King, but I think it's p clear the spirit that helps him in the armor is the luminous body of his child). I really wonder if the resolution to this is Griffith choosing again to look away from his longing to be king of everything to realize that he really was longing for true family, which he could have if he gives all this up and becomes his moon child incarnation. Just like Guts, he had what he wanted, but couldn't see it until it was far too late looking beyond the horizion vs what was already there. I wonder if Griffith getting a parallel realization as Guts has is the key to the resolution to the story. I'm not sure what/how he could give up the godhand, but I think before the story is over they have to undo his merging of the worlds.

The Godhand explain p clearly that the stronger your bonds, and the stronger your emotional connection to the one who sacrifices you the better a sacrifice you are (greater power etc) which makes me wonder if Guts/Casca resolving their hurt from Griffith and letting him go is actually the key to undoing the power of their brands/weakening Griffith. It always struck me that while he was "completed" as Femto, his ritual wasn't completed, all the sacrifices weren't given as power to his rebirth which somehow makes me think he is not as complete as the other god hand leaving him vulnerable in some way (as Skully Knight has said before, only those that are outside of the current of causality could touch the god hand now. Which I take to mean himself, Guts/Casca). I think I get the feeling that the vulnerability isn't actually physical given Griffiths presentation in the real world post his resurrection.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2021

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Happy New Year
http://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1346385848720216064

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Trying to contain my joy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Oh thank goodness, I'd love to hope it'll be a long chapter, but we all know that is a foolish wish at this point in his career.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

If Miura continues the entire rest of Berserk finishing only 3-4 chapters a year, I'm sure the story will finish in a spectacular manner, with every plot thread accounted for

I just hope I will be still alive then

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

If Miura continues the entire rest of Berserk finishing only 3-4 chapters a year, I'm sure the story will finish in a spectacular manner, with every plot thread accounted for

I just hope I will be still alive then

I hope he will be alive then

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

I hope he will be alive then

I just kinda assumed he's immortal

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Random thought on who Berserk should end

Guts and Griffith settle the differences with a yodeling contest. Somehow this ends up killing Rickert.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Puck becomes an Apostle and usurps Griffiths kingdom so he can enact a full on Puckocracy.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Archer666 posted:

Puck becomes an Apostle and usurps Griffiths kingdom so he can enact a full on Puckocracy.
Puck is in possession of a behelit.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Puck and Guts will do the fusion dance and become Putz

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Not Important posted:

Puck and Guts will do the fusion dance and become Putz

This is way, way funnier than it has any right to be.

Mostly because I can actually imagine it in my head, and it begs for death.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

David D. Davidson posted:

Random thought on who Berserk should end

Guts and Griffith settle the differences with a yodeling contest. Somehow this ends up killing Rickert.

Bollywood-style dance and song battle, IMO.

Speaking of Rickert, I hope we get a chapter to update us on his situation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Guts Group and the New Band of the Falcon put on competing productions of Oklahoma.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't know, I feel like we're overlooking the fact that Griffith was rejected. That means either a rampage or he's gonna sulk and "let them suffer the result of their decision without his assistance" (which means the apostles run free).

Has Griffith grown at all since the eclipse or is he a static character? Earlier claims of indifference to Guts were relative lies (hill of swords), so indifference to Rickert's reaction may well be the same. Based on his past solutions, he seems poised to attempt the next elevation of power at great cost, perhaps resulting in expulsion from the Godhand.

It may well be a downfall that results in permanent transformation to the child.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't know, I feel like we're overlooking the fact that Griffith was rejected. That means either a rampage or he's gonna sulk and "let them suffer the result of their decision without his assistance" (which means the apostles run free).

Has Griffith grown at all since the eclipse or is he a static character? Earlier claims of indifference to Guts were relative lies (hill of swords), so indifference to Rickert's reaction may well be the same. Based on his past solutions, he seems poised to attempt the next elevation of power at great cost, perhaps resulting in expulsion from the Godhand.

It may well be a downfall that results in permanent transformation to the child.

I think the fact that an apostle went to kill Rickert really loving quickly answers this question handily

Griffith talks a big game about not caring anymore, but he super does

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Burkion posted:

I think the fact that an apostle went to kill Rickert really loving quickly answers this question handily
Hmm, I didn't interpret that as an order from Griffith, but Grundb... whoever was watching got pissed off and decided that "the blasphemer must be cleansed".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Hmm, I didn't interpret that as an order from Griffith, but Grundb... whoever was watching got pissed off and decided that "the blasphemer must be cleansed".

I doubt Griffith ordered it personally but he also allowed it to go on

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Berserk #363 — Leaping Monkey is here. Torrent first (magnet link only) this time, for good reason I assure you

EDIT: now on an online reader

LordMune fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 21, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Burkion posted:

I doubt Griffith ordered it personally but he also allowed it to go on

This. The dude is basically an omniscient being that exists outside the scope of actual reality. If he didn't want it to happen he would/could have stopped it. Griffiths fatal flaw is his inability to sever the ties he has truly, he sacrificed the Band, but couldn't just let the apostles eat Guts/Casca. They meant too much and he had to rub it in their face preventing his complete ascension imo.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Dang a lot of stuff happened in that chapter

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Not a lot of new material in the chapter, mostly a fun one

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just waiting for the crap to hit the fan.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Art was again super lovely and the translation and typesetting was great cheers lord mune et al.

Softer cartoonier Guts is growing on me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh, finally some story progress! Since moonlight child is Griffith, maybe we'll finally have some kind of showdown or something. Interested to see if Caska meets the child this time now that she's in her right mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Oh no, not even Miura can resist prequel memes.