Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FYI if you hopped on those $15 Cricket or AT&T plans I mentioned on the last page, the price is increasing to $30/month in July so be sure to cancel your plan before it renews in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What is a good Verizon MVNO and can it use unlocked GSM phones?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Visible and PagePlus are the two Verizon MVNOs I hear the most about. Some multi-carrier MVNOs like Tracfone and Red Pocket also have Verizon as an option. In order to active your service you'll need a phone with an IMEI that Verizon accepts (here's Visible's IMEI checker); once it's activated you can probably swap the SIM to another phone with compatible LTE bands but if it doesn't support Verizon's VoLTE properly voice and text will not work.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What is a good Verizon MVNO and can it use unlocked GSM phones?

TotalWireless?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Welp

https://twitter.com/tingFTW/status/1290284102864658437

quote:

Exciting news for Ting Mobile customers.

DISH has teamed up with Ting Mobile to provide better choices and value in mobile. As of August 1, 2020, Ting Mobile customers are now part of the DISH family.

Good news… There's no migration happening. You don't need a new phone. You can still login to your account at ting.com/account or on the Ting Mobile app. Your coverage doesn't change.

DISH and Ting Mobile’s thinking around what the future of mobile should be are very much in line. One of the many shared beliefs we’ve discovered over the years is that things could and should be a lot better for mobile customers than today’s mobile carriers make it. This is one of the things that attracted DISH to Ting Mobile.

Customer Service
We hear you, Ting Mobile customers. Customer service is something you won’t compromise on. Nor will we. It’s why we have Ting Mobile people continuing to support you now and at the same time, share their technology and secrets for providing a great customer experience with the DISH team.

Data Costs
Likewise, we’ve heard you loud and clear that data pricing is a pain point. We can absolutely help there. Stick around and find out how.

DISH + Ting Mobile
What we’re assuring you today is that the Ting Mobile you know and love is not going away. We are here to help improve this special thing that you and the Ting Mobile team have built over more than eight years.

If you were happy with Ting Mobile yesterday and you’re happy with Ting Mobile today, you’ll be happy with Ting Mobile tomorrow... and we look forward to working with this team to ensure you’re even happier down the line.

Thanks for your business. We won’t take it for granted. We will work hard every day to earn your trust.

Sincerely,
John Swieringa
Group President & COO, DISH

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thanks for posting. My dad uses them for his emergency phone (that he never uses cause he doesn't leave the house by himself anymore). I'm sure I'm going to get a call about it when they notice the change.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Anyone have experience with Wing?

They have towers with both AT&T and Sprint, and all plans include tethering

I know Sprint sucks, but Wing's $15 plan on their tower includes unlimited talk/text, 100MB high speed data, and unlimited 2G data with tethering after. For me, that seems like the perfect plan to throw on a burner phone in case my wi-fi ever goes down.

Ting's already hyping up cheaper data, so we'll see what happens

EDIT: Mint Mobile has $180/year with Mobile Hotspot, unlimited talk & text, 3GB high speed, and unlimited throttled data after - that seems like a way better deal than Wing

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mint's coverage was to terrible in my area so I switched to ATT's $300 for 8gb/month +1 month rollover +hotspot plan. I was on cricket before mint and switched so wifi calling would work. Everyone I talked to with support said wifi calling would work with my phone but I'm figuring out after the switch it just plain doesn't unless you have an ATT device. Fuckers. Setting up google voice for voicemail is also blocked on their prepaid plans.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boogalo posted:

Mint's coverage was to terrible in my area so I switched to ATT's $300 for 8gb/month +1 month rollover +hotspot plan. I was on cricket before mint and switched so wifi calling would work. Everyone I talked to with support said wifi calling would work with my phone but I'm figuring out after the switch it just plain doesn't unless you have an ATT device. Fuckers. Setting up google voice for voicemail is also blocked on their prepaid plans.

I was looking at this same plan. What happens after the first year in terms of cost, do you know? The fine print says it’ll renew every 30 days for 12 periods but I can’t tell if it’s gonna be charging the discounted $25/month or if I’m gonna have to start paying the regular $50/month.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
AT&T Prepaid now offers 5GB for $30 and 15GB for $40. I've been using the $65 unlimited plan and usually use about 10GB so I guess I'll switch to the $40 version.

Before this I tried a few of the secondary prepaid services, even Cricket which uses AT&T's network. Nothing came close. I've had no issues whatsoever with AT&T Prepaid and my speed is almost never throttled even though I'm in a busy area. They also don't place a cap on your speed like most of the secondary services. For instance, when I was on Cricket, it was capped at 10mbps at all times, though its probably higher now. Now that the main carriers have finally got their poo poo together and are offering reasonable prepaid plans, I don't see any reason to use any of the secondary services.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
They do force their "stream saver" option to on so you can only do 480p video unless you use a VPN. Wasn't a big issue for me but figured I'd inform people. Still a great deal.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The other catch is att prepaid doesnt work with wifi calling or google voice unless you're using a phone you transferred from one of their post paid plans. I did the $25/month for 8gb +1 month rollover paid yearly and got hella burned. Lots of time on the phone got me nowhere, not even a easy cancel for refund even though they said when i was buying that it would work.

I liked mint, wifi call and text worked but tmobile was good around where i live, but complete trash in the places i regularly travel and while i was on cricket (att prepaid) the service area was great but you couldn't wifi call without using a device bought from them

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I was on Google Voice for years with no issues on Prepaid and Cricket. I never could get WiFi calling to work unless I switched from Voice to Hangouts.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I should clarify, I only use google voicemail. Everything else I used carrier networks and builtin android features. Did not use google voice for text or calls.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Google Voice just for voicemail using selective call forwarding works fine for me on ATT prepaid, and I've never had a postpaid account. My current account is also only a little over a year old. Text messages (for websites that only have SMS 2FA but allow VOIP numbers) come through fine too, as does Chinese spambot calls, apparently.

On a Pixel 4a, used to be on Nexus 6P, both bought unlocked.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The newer phones seems to work fine, but i have an S7 and it won't work just because they won't let it. Gotta start shopping for a used S10 or something which does kinda pay for itself since the actual plans are so cheap.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So I use Google voice with a physical data sim and I'm seeing more banks/apps rejecting VOIP numbers for 2FA. Any suggestions on a prepaid esim?

I'm using a Pixel 3a and had no luck with getting the $15 tmo connect prepaid plan set up. Also curious if anyone here uses esim.net and could vouch for it (especially if you can use that number for 2FA) - $10 every 90 days would be a nice deal too

e: update - https://www.esim.net confirmed you get a legit UK number and I just got it set up... works great :yayclod:

https://www.esim.net/helpdesk/knowledge-base/real-mobile-numbers/

air- fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 14, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have an older Cricket plan that's a little more expensive than their current offerings, but doesn't limit video to 480. I'm thinking about switching to a cheaper plan or AT&T prepaid, but both options limit video quality.

I played with it a bit and I seem to be okay with 480 in most cases (mostly thinking about watching game streams with more small elements on the screen than, say, a talking head news broadcast). I just don't like the idea of my data provider messing with how I use that data.

Do people generally have issues with limited video quality?

If I turn on my VPN, would it bypass this limit?

I use Android.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Any suggestions on how to get T-Mobile to actually look into why my service sucks at my new place? I'm getting -106dbm and dialup data speeds despite being deep in the heart of the 5g map.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Toshimo posted:

Any suggestions on how to get T-Mobile to actually look into why my service sucks at my new place? I'm getting -106dbm and dialup data speeds despite being deep in the heart of the 5g map.

Honestly better off just setting up wifi calling. That's what it's for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly better off just setting up wifi calling. That's what it's for.

I'd be more inclined to switch providers, especially considering wifi calling does nothing for me when I'm not in the house.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Does anyone here use Visible? It's a MVNO that uses Verizon's towers. I chose them as they seem similar to other MVNOs in terms of cost ($40/mo), but verizon seems to have the best all-around service where I live. Sprint and T-Mobile service is practically non-existent so those are a no-go for me.

Visible offers something called Party Pay, which seems to basically be get 1-3 other people to join a "party" and your bill drops $5/mo per party member. Everyone is billed separately, so I can't see any downside to this. If you can fill a 4 person group your service is $25/mo.

I'm not sure if this type of socilitation is allowed here (it's not a referral or anything) so apologies if it's not. Interested parties could PM me or e-mail me (username -> gmail)

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

You can also combine that with their offers for buying new smartphones:
https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones
but you might have to pay full price for the first month.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Baby Proof posted:

You can also combine that with their offers for buying new smartphones:
https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones
but you might have to pay full price for the first month.

Yea it seems the party pay gets applied to your next month's service.

So far I'm happy, I bought a pixel 4a which came with a promo for some samsung galaxy live buds (which I could probably sell for $100 easy) and after my second month of service (which I just paid today) I should be eligible for a $100 virtual mastercard as well.

Apparently I can also do referrals somehow, but I'm more interested in the party pay thing as I don't really know many people that are switching their cell service.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
that verizon prepaid loyalty discount combined with their new plans is p. nice. I'm now paying $35/mo for 16GB, instead of the $50 i was paying for 8GB (which had been doubled for covid reasons)

i think you need to be with them for 9 months to get the maximum discount, but not bad if you don't want to mess with shared plans

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've been looking at that Verizon Prepaid plan as well. I think the base plan for 5gb is $40, minus $5 autopay discount, minus $5 after 3 months, and minus $5 after 9 months, it becomes a $25 plan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been looking at that Verizon Prepaid plan as well. I think the base plan for 5gb is $40, minus $5 autopay discount, minus $5 after 3 months, and minus $5 after 9 months, it becomes a $25 plan.

I took a look at that this morning. If one were to get the 5 gb plan and need to switch to the 15 gb plan later, does the discount reset?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Uthor posted:

I took a look at that this morning. If one were to get the 5 gb plan and need to switch to the 15 gb plan later, does the discount reset?

The verizon app says it doesn't, though I haven't actually done it. Note that the new plans don't have data rollover and once you go over your monthly allotment the "2g" speeds are waaaaaay too slow to use to stream music, and painful to web browse with

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

The verizon app says it doesn't, though I haven't actually done it. Note that the new plans don't have data rollover and once you go over your monthly allotment the "2g" speeds are waaaaaay too slow to use to stream music, and painful to web browse with

The two times I've gone over 3 GB since COVID were when I was at my sis and on mobile cause her 3 kids were using Wi-Fi for school and when the power went out for three days and I sat in the car charging my phone while watching YouTube.

Pre-COVID, breaking 5 GB was rare, but I never came close to hitting my (current) 8 GB limit. But I'd like the option to bump it up without a "penalty".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Uthor posted:

The two times I've gone over 3 GB since COVID were when I was at my sis and on mobile cause her 3 kids were using Wi-Fi for school and when the power went out for three days and I sat in the car charging my phone while watching YouTube.

Pre-COVID, breaking 5 GB was rare, but I never came close to hitting my (current) 8 GB limit. But I'd like the option to bump it up without a "penalty".

You know, related to this, I never hit my 3gb Mint limit before this year. But that's solely because my work wifi randomly blocked SA. Reddit is still allowed, oddly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You know, related to this, I never hit my 3gb Mint limit before this year. But that's solely because my work wifi randomly blocked SA. Reddit is still allowed, oddly.

I purposely avoided my work wifi, so browsing SA was a huge factor pre-covid!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Uthor posted:

I purposely avoided my work wifi, so browsing SA was a huge factor pre-covid!

Ha, its still a big factor for me... I just need to avoid PYF until I get home

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mint users: How are you liking your service? I have a $55/mo Unlimited Max plan through Cricket Wireless which was great when I used to stream 20GB of video a month on my phone, but for all of 2020 it's been less than 5GB/mo. Just looking to save some money (and give the T-Mobile network a try).

Are data speeds acceptable? Cricket maxed out at 8mbps so if it's around there I'm fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Mint users: How are you liking your service? I have a $55/mo Unlimited Max plan through Cricket Wireless which was great when I used to stream 20GB of video a month on my phone, but for all of 2020 it's been less than 5GB/mo. Just looking to save some money (and give the T-Mobile network a try).

Are data speeds acceptable? Cricket maxed out at 8mbps so if it's around there I'm fine.

Your best bet would be to get a $1 starter kit from Amazon and do a bunch of speed tests with the trial SIM to get a feel for the speeds in your area at various times:
https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Mobile-Starter-Verify-Compatibility/dp/B0786RD524/

Speedtest.net, at least, seemed to be whitelisted and not count towards the 100MB.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

It's been decent for me.

Do what the above user said though and see how it works in your area though

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Does Mint let you use hotspot at 2G speeds after your monthly high speed data is used up?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I used mint for a year and while i was happy with speeds at home, as soon as I left town things went to poo poo, especially in the 2-3 places i go to out of state every year. It was great for wifi calling and text though in my basement office at work with no signal.

I switched to the ATT prepaid who said wifi calling would work with my phone but it doesn't, along with google voicemail forwarding not working. Price is the same but att has 1 month of rollover and faster speeds. Good thing I'm both not in the office and not traveling this year I guess. In general I found the ATT network much more widespread and reliable than mint/tmo.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

Does anyone here use Visible?
I've been on Visible for most of the last year. I can't honestly review it much considering how hard I've been staying at home to avoid covid, but it was very much noticeably slower than postpaid Verizon the couple of times I've been in a city this year. It was very easy to find a Party to join on Reddit, and so I'm pretty happy with it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I hopped over to Mobi a little while ago. They're based out of Hawaii and their CEO is an ex-Ting employee. Their base plan is $10+tax and includes 1gb and each extra is $4/gb but you can set your own limit. Deffo recommended it if anyone is looking to pinch them pennies during stay at home orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been on Visible for most of the last year. I can't honestly review it much considering how hard I've been staying at home to avoid covid, but it was very much noticeably slower than postpaid Verizon the couple of times I've been in a city this year. It was very easy to find a Party to join on Reddit, and so I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks I didn't know about that subreddit (/r/visiblepartypay) and got in a party in a matter of minutes.

I never really noticed it being slow, but I am also home most of the time. I just did a speed test here at my house on the LTE and it is indeed slow as poo poo, which makes no sense because I'm a very limited data user. For the time being it's not an issue for me.