Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Uhh wait, are we talking about the Disney one? That's Rip Torn, no?

Fuckin' for real? It sounds EXACTLY like John Goodman. I hosed up on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Probably should've spoiled that last bit there.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've actually been intentionally avoiding posting about any of my thoughts in the Steven Universe thread specifically because I don't want to ruin anyone else's good time.

I already posted quite a few negative hot takes over there while the show was on going, and now my negative hot takes are even more intense and angry and I really don't think it would do any good for me to rehash all my old complaints. The show is over, what happened happened, best to let it be and not spend too much time ruminating on something that puts me in such a negative headspace and then spreading that negativity to others.
your respect and concern for the wellbeing of others makes me furious

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Probably should've spoiled that last bit there.

The people need to know. He would have wanted it that way.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My opinion on SU flipped a whole bunch of times but I checked out a long time ago because I just could not stand to see (or rather hear) another conflict resolved or soothed through the awesome power of a little kid's pleading. Steven's "sincere empathetic whining" voice is somehow depicted as the ultimate tool of diplomacy and therapy, and once you become aware of the sound it is distinct enough that it could probably be distilled down into the equivalent of the brown note but for making people release their pent up emotions rather than their bowels.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Question regarding Soul: When 22 goes back to the Before Life and Joe is back in his body, what’s inside the cat when it’s reunited with its owner? We saw the cat’s soul ascend to the afterlife

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Question regarding Soul: When 22 goes back to the Before Life and Joe is back in his body, what’s inside the cat when it’s reunited with its owner? We saw the cat’s soul ascend to the afterlife

Trick question, cats have no souls

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For real though, I hope there’s a short film about what happened to the cat’s soul on the bluray, similar to BURN-E, Jack Jack Attack etc. A 5 minute romp with a pissed off cat soul causing havoc in the beyond/before and the Jerries scrambling to catch it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The 8 remaining souls.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Hedrigall posted:

Trick question, cats have no souls

As the moment approached I 100% thought the joke was going to be a smash cut to an empty space on the former-people-mover.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The_Doctor posted:

I just came here to make this exact post and rave about the Soul soundtrack.

This one made me cry. It's played over the final piano scene where Joe lays out 22's things on the piano and the gorgeous night shots of NYC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXY1av-NUE

This one plays a few times but you hear it fully during the end credits and is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtcPriBV65U

Great Beyond is just a really good ambient track (which is no surprise considering Trent Reznor loves playing in that genre).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PhLde3QUA

These ones are really good and make me reconsider skipping the movie.

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Batiste's jazz pieces are also utterly fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJcpAwcNbc

This is messy garbage on par with standing next to a jackhammer.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 31, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm watching Hercules for the first time in a long-rear end time. I got sick of it because Kingdom Hearts will not stop doing bad levels based on it. And that's saying a lot given how not great KH is.

Not only is the animation great, but I forgot John Goodman is Zeus. And this is also more interesting after I've played a lot of Hades. James Woods is a shithead, but goddamn I love his commitment to being Hades.

It is pretty good, but it's a shame Disney wasn't able to crack the code of making a Superman-type movie where "Superman" isn't the least interesting character in his own movie. That's what keeps it from really being top-tier.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol what is it about Jazz that flips the LowKeyRacist flag on people :stoked:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should we probably reuse this thread since 2020 was kind of silent for movies in general?

If so, what should we rename it?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should we probably reuse this thread since 2020 was kind of silent for movies in general?

Animation 2021: Now Available on a Single Streaming Site Everywhere

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Animation+ 2021: $35.99 plus Monthly Subscription Fee

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Animation 2021: Christoper Nolan's Space Jam Will Save Cinema

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Animation 2021: Your favorite cartoon? It's bad now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like there's just issues with shows that go into social commentary while also having various sci-fi/fantasy plots in that it's really, really hard to come up with a resolution that's satisfying for both the text and the subtext. Star Vs certainly had that problem and a divisive if daring ending that tried to tie them together.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soul is the best movie I’ve ever seen that has a final minute that kind of...really fucks up the thematic aims and tonal landing of the piece as a whole that I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve ever had as hard of a turn from loving everything about a movie to “Well it was a good movie but boy does it not stick the landing” since...well, Logan I suppose, now that I think about it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It mostly made me want to rewatch Inside Out, so I did and it’s still great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not as massive as some but it is a 100+ page long thread.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

ThermoPhysical posted:

tolstoy 4

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

perepelki posted:

Animation 2021: tolstoy 4
Agreed

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost
I really liked Soul, the music was deffo key to it but it made me reflect and be a bit emotional and I appreciate it for touching me like that. Alcohol may have been involved but it was well done and I agree it had a gentler tone.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Detective No. 27 posted:

Animation 2021: Your favorite cartoon? It's bad now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

NieR Occomata posted:

Soul is the best movie I’ve ever seen that has a final minute that kind of...really fucks up the thematic aims and tonal landing of the piece as a whole that I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ve ever had as hard of a turn from loving everything about a movie to “Well it was a good movie but boy does it not stick the landing” since...well, Logan I suppose, now that I think about it.

Fine, I'll take the bait

why do you think this

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Saw Soul last night. It was pretty good, but I had a few problems with it

1) Joe's soul form should have been much bigger.

2) 22 should have been green and only had one eye.

3) Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey should have sang the end credits song, which should have been "I Wouldn't Have Nothing If I Didn't Have You".

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They already did that in the end credits of Monsters, Inc. with Sully and Mike, though

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

galenanorth posted:

They already did that in the end credits of Monsters, Inc. with Sully and Mike, though

This is a trend with Randy Newman and the movies he scored with this particular group of people. There's two songs from two movies about the amazing lives of bugs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

galenanorth posted:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, whenever 22 wasn’t on screen, all the other characters should have been asking “where’s 22?”

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I think we ended up liking Soul a ton because we watched Onward the night before and I'd just completely forgotten what a movie with creativity feels like

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The cat in Soul is not cute.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They're not the same but it reminded me of the cat from Home

in that they both struck me the same way

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I freakin' love Nedroid/Beartato so much.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fat+calico

The eyes and ears are way too small and the muzzle should be twice as wide instead of twice as tall, like they did the opposite of the Warner Brothers/Tiny Toons caricature. It's like they purposefully inverted the cutest parts of the face of a cat to make the point "okay he's ugly but I love him because he's mine"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Big Hero 6 had a way better cat.
https://bighero6.fandom.com/wiki/Mochi

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost
The Cat in Soul is good. It is a good cat.

I also saw Coco after and while it was very good, Soul hit me more in the feels.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I agree that the soul cat is good cat