Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Yeah, I found that after I posted the question. That isn't it.

Interestingly, I did find a game that was based on the movie The Rock, but it was from 2010, and the one I played was def not that one. I do wonder if it was never released, seeing that I can not find any info about it.

If I could remember what magazine it was from, I'd go back and look and see there is pictures of the front cover/cover disc.

Do you remember anything about the engine or general graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sadly no, other than I think it was 3D models.

Could possibly have been on the LithTech engine, as that first launched in 1998 with Shogo and Blood 2 which would have been around the time frame I have in my head.

The more I think of it though, the more I really think it was a game that was cancelled/never released outside of the demo.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Custard Undies posted:

Could possibly have been on the LithTech engine, as that first launched in 1998 with Shogo and Blood 2 which would have been around the time frame I have in my head.

The more I think of it though, the more I really think it was a game that was cancelled/never released outside of the demo.

The only other potential I can think of, if you're SURE about Alcatraz specifically, would be Alcatraz on amiga/atari st/etc but that was '92 and would be difficult to confuse with LithTech. Gameplay's a mix of first person and side scrolling.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I vaguely recall Rainbow Six, SWAT, or one of those late-90s era tactical shooters having a prison level (probably a Russian style prison) and there was a shower room scene straight out of The Rock. It was probably in an expansion pak that nobody played.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

al-azad posted:

I vaguely recall Rainbow Six, SWAT, or one of those late-90s era tactical shooters having a prison level (probably a Russian style prison) and there was a shower room scene straight out of The Rock. It was probably in an expansion pak that nobody played.

Rainbow 6: Raven Shield, Operation Shackled Time. That map loving ruled in multiplayer

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

iSurrender posted:

I vaguely recall playing a game that's like the original Dark Orbit (single small plane in 3rd person), but looking more like Starcraft, I *think* there was some crystal collection involved as well, but maybe my mind has just created this fake-memory mashup. Anyone recognize this?

PC, must have been roughly 20 years ago.
I never played Dark Orbit, but hmm, maybe it was Firefight? Your next post about it being on a planet made me think of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTz2SpsIXA

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but could it have been the intro to the pc port of Metal Gear Solid? That game's first twenty minutes are straight out of the Rock, with the submersible delivery pods and shaking aboard the island.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

This should hopefully be easy, because I'm pretty sure its relatively recent, like last five years. I haven't actually played this, but remember reading about one of the game's plotlines and was curious what it was from. The plot involved a dysfunctional family that had been warped by some sort of energy into monstrosities. I think the family all went by Mother, Father, Daughter etc., and I think a few of them had been fused in place with their surroundings. I believe the plotline involved the Brother/Son running away.

I think the game was some sort of live service sci-fi game, though I've checked the big ones and couldn't find what I was looking for. This wasn't the main plot of the game, it was either a side quest or a minor plotline.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

HMS Beagle posted:

This should hopefully be easy, because I'm pretty sure its relatively recent, like last five years. I haven't actually played this, but remember reading about one of the game's plotlines and was curious what it was from. The plot involved a dysfunctional family that had been warped by some sort of energy into monstrosities. I think the family all went by Mother, Father, Daughter etc., and I think a few of them had been fused in place with their surroundings. I believe the plotline involved the Brother/Son running away.

I think the game was some sort of live service sci-fi game, though I've checked the big ones and couldn't find what I was looking for. This wasn't the main plot of the game, it was either a side quest or a minor plotline.

warframe?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

wb posted:

warframe?

It is definitely Warframe, thanks. Just couldn't find it when searching earlier.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does anyone recognize the game shown from 10:31-11:54 of this video?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hwurmp posted:

Does anyone recognize the game shown from 10:31-11:54 of this video?
That's Hellpoint.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thanks.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Trying to recall a fun little game I played years ago

Likely 90s, maybe early 00s.

A fairly simple game with a Star Trek theme. You're the Enterprise and your mission is to fly around a 2-D map (top down view) to different planets and evacuate them by sending down away teams. You then had to return them to starbases, and I think you also had to destroy all enemies on the map. It used WASD controls I think.

You could get Klingon ships as allies, starbases could help fight if they were close enough, etc. I think most enemies were Romulans and maybe Cardassian? And there were neutral Ferengi ships for some reason.

There was an option to add extreme difficulty by adding in a Borg cube that would basically wreck absolutely everyone's poo poo.

Any idea what game this was?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Koskinator posted:

Trying to recall a fun little game I played years ago

Likely 90s, maybe early 00s.

A fairly simple game with a Star Trek theme. You're the Enterprise and your mission is to fly around a 2-D map (top down view) to different planets and evacuate them by sending down away teams. You then had to return them to starbases, and I think you also had to destroy all enemies on the map. It used WASD controls I think.

You could get Klingon ships as allies, starbases could help fight if they were close enough, etc. I think most enemies were Romulans and maybe Cardassian? And there were neutral Ferengi ships for some reason.

There was an option to add extreme difficulty by adding in a Borg cube that would basically wreck absolutely everyone's poo poo.

Any idea what game this was?

Sounds like Rescue! There's an open-source version.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sounds like Rescue! There's an open-source version.

Looked up screenshots of the original Mac game, and that’s exactly it! Thanks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Help with a recent-ish story game please! It's mostly text, but you click on the options (like something possible with the software Twine), about a playing a Firewall spirit in an online network. Played it maybe two years back, very nice, has the occasional graphic background (it's black otherwise like a computer terminal). Pretty popular, I just can't remember the name and my Steam list is so big that I'm probably glazing over the title.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Open Sorcery?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, I am trying to remember, I believe, a freeware high score game from a top down perspective where you were some sort of Space Marine dude fighting endless waves of aliens. I want to say mid-early noughties? Any ideas?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sounds a bit like Crimsonland.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

Sounds a bit like Crimsonland.

It does look like the old free version, but isn't quite. I remember there was a singular arena that filled the whole screen, want to say dark stone floor? The monsters were reminiscent of the Xenomorph?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ZearothK posted:

It does look like the old free version, but isn't quite. I remember there was a singular arena that filled the whole screen, want to say dark stone floor? The monsters were reminiscent of the Xenomorph?
Maybe the actual game called Alien Shooter? It's the right time period and the monsters look kind of bug-like I guess, but it's probably not that one either.

Sorry, those are the only ones I can really think of, hope someone else help you more.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe the actual game called Alien Shooter? It's the right time period and the monsters look kind of bug-like I guess, but it's probably not that one either.

Sorry, those are the only ones I can really think of, hope someone else help you more.

Yeah, unfortunately that isn't it either. I remember very clearly that it was a top down one instead of isometric, but thanks for trying!

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Sounds a lot like Alien Breed which came out about a decade earlier.

Or maybe one of the Alien Shooter games? They're isometric rather than top-down.

efb on alien shooter lol

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, unfortunately that isn't it either. I remember very clearly that it was a top down one instead of isometric, but thanks for trying!

Alien Swarm has the correct perspective and theme, but you'd probably remember that it's very much a coop multi-player game. It started out as a UT2k4 mod, but was remade as a free standalone game on Steam.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Hey, I am trying to remember, I believe, a freeware high score game from a top down perspective where you were some sort of Space Marine dude fighting endless waves of aliens. I want to say mid-early noughties? Any ideas?

Maybe Phobia 2? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9eaU-Fj0xo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

...! posted:

Danganronpa V3

oof

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dads_work_files posted:

Sounds a lot like Alien Breed which came out about a decade earlier.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Alien Swarm has the correct perspective and theme, but you'd probably remember that it's very much a coop multi-player game. It started out as a UT2k4 mod, but was remade as a free standalone game on Steam.

Still not, alas. I also remember the graphics were pixelated and the only mode was a score attack one. It is funny, because I think I learned of that one through SA, specifically. Thanks to everyone for trying, though!

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Alien Deathmatch? or the sequel?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm looking for a game I'm pretty sure is called The Cleaner but I can't find due to SEO. Or maybe I'm misremembering the name. It was a mid 00s freeware indie game, a 2D sidescroller where you play as a floating wizard with page of various spells you could enhance by investing exp into. It had stuff like big beams, seekers, summons and the like and was pretty impressive for an indie game of the era, in my opinion anyway. I think the plot was something like "your girlfriend was kidnapped and taken to another dimension, travel across various dimensions to rescue her", although it was very story-light in general. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm looking for a game I'm pretty sure is called The Cleaner but I can't find due to SEO. Or maybe I'm misremembering the name. It was a mid 00s freeware indie game, a 2D sidescroller where you play as a floating wizard with page of various spells you could enhance by investing exp into. It had stuff like big beams, seekers, summons and the like and was pretty impressive for an indie game of the era, in my opinion anyway. I think the plot was something like "your girlfriend was kidnapped and taken to another dimension, travel across various dimensions to rescue her", although it was very story-light in general. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Here?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's it, thanks!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you could customize your own fighter jet or space ship (I can't remember which) and battle against other people with their customized ships. It was 2D with a side-on perspective like Soldat or Worms. This was sometime in the 2010s I believe, but I can't seem to find the right search terms to google it.

The customization had different base platforms and then you could put different weapons on those chassis.

Edit: I think I found it: Gimbal, though this is actually top-down and not side-on as I thought.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 4, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

bgreman posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you could customize your own fighter jet or space ship (I can't remember which) and battle against other people with their customized ships. It was 2D with a side-on perspective like Soldat or Worms. This was sometime in the 2010s I believe, but I can't seem to find the right search terms to google it.

The customization had different base platforms and then you could put different weapons on those chassis.

Edit: I think I found it: Gimbal, though this is actually top-down and not side-on as I thought.

Well, it kinda made me think of Altitude when you said fighter jet (but not space ship):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/Altitude/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm reminded of something like that that was released on Wiiware, but your ship was made out of simple geometric shapes. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Blast Works/Tumiki Fighters?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I probably asked this before, but never had any luck finding an answer:

This was a shareware RPG I got on a 5.25'' disk from a computer magazine, somewhere between '89 and '91. The graphics were primitive, maybe even ASCII similar to nethack, but I believe you had a party. The only thing I remember about it clearly is that among the enemy types you could encounter were hobbits and 'gollums'. You would get a message like "You encounter 9 gollums", which would annoy me to no end, as I knew there was only ever one Gollum. I think it's more likely this was after I had first read Lord of the Rings, which would put in in 1991.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dip Viscous posted:

Blast Works/Tumiki Fighters?

Yeah, that's the one.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

It's not related to the rock but you aren't thinking of the Dusk till Dawn FPS and got them mixed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Flannelette posted:

It's not related to the rock but you aren't thinking of the Dusk till Dawn FPS and got them mixed up?

I don't believe so, but honestly I'm starting to wonder if I just made this game up in my head haha :xd: