Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

They're doing it next week with Angelica Bastien, god bless

Anyone who doesn't follow the boys on Twitter, they linked to her review of it and oh it's gonna be a beautiful ep.
https://twitter.com/angelicabastien/status/1338950592954310660?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cael posted:

Anyone who doesn't follow the boys on Twitter, they linked to her review of it and oh it's gonna be a beautiful ep.

Ugh, not coming to Sweden until Feb, but reviews in Swedish are calling it a success so uh, it’s gonna be dog poo poo

On a brighter side AN ANGELICA EPISODE!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m glad to return to the normal programming; these WLM episodes....I dunno, I find it much harder to stay focused on their ramblings when they’re just tripping over themselves praising something.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, WLM just doesn't land for me in the same way as WHM. Especially if it's a movie that means a lot to me. For example, it really bugged me how often during the Fury Road episode Jupin in particular was getting the order of events incorrect or just flat out getting things wrong.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I like WLM because they will sometimes get into more technical aspects of movie making and that tickles the nerd center of my brain little bit. I'm about an hour in to the Nightmare on Elm Street ep and there is a hilarious highlander at red lobster bit. eh hehehehe

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I was hoping WW84 would be what Ragnarok was to Thor. Oh well.

e;
more like WW 88 haha

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don’t know if it was already discussed, but I just watched Mask of the Phantasm. I feel like it was at least partly Steve coming to grips with the fact that it’s mostly good and not amazing, as Eric said and everyone else kind of agreed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I just feel like the comedy truly ramps up when the movie is terrible. I replayed the episode on A Sound of Thunder and it’s incredible. Then going through the Ten Commandments as some Brooklyn gangsters is just the type of thing that a discussion about a movie they love won’t produce.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigglesSWE posted:

I just feel like the comedy truly ramps up when the movie is terrible. I replayed the episode on A Sound of Thunder and it’s incredible. Then going through the Ten Commandments as some Brooklyn gangsters is just the type of thing that a discussion about a movie they love won’t produce.

Arson Daily posted:

I like WLM because they will sometimes get into more technical aspects of movie making and that tickles the nerd center of my brain little bit.

WHM/WLM is a land of contrasts because I agree with both of these posts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1344061803807043585

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I genuinely have no idea what movies even came out this year for there to even be enough for 4 weeks. Tenet, Sonic, Bad Boys?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

I genuinely have no idea what movies even came out this year for there to even be enough for 4 weeks. Tenet, Sonic, Bad Boys?

I inferred from the comments near the end that Doolittle was in the mix somewhere

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Andorra posted:

iirc they liked Sonic

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

if I had to guess, WW84, Dolittle, and Sonic (in a “hey we’re having a fun time with the episode” way) will be there. I’d love for The Prom to be there too because that movie suuuuuucks

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I think that new Fantasy Island movie maybe?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Don’t forget Fantasy Island came out this year. And Capone. And The War with Grandpa. And The Jesus Rolls.

Even in a down year, production wise, a lot of poo poo still came out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cael posted:

I did like Pedro Pascal’s involvement in the Vague Oil Trade.

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m glad to return to the normal programming; these WLM episodes....I dunno, I find it much harder to stay focused on their ramblings when they’re just tripping over themselves praising something.

They’re ok, I like Jupin going into the historical significance of a movie like Kane as it plays to his strengths. I do wish (despite agreeing with them) they’d give the endless trump chat a rest. Yes he’s awful, but I’m listening to a comedy podcast for escapism not a summary of what awful thing happened this week.

I did like Eric’s pitch for Car Oaf.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The end of the NOES episode with Steven was absolutely lovely. Could have used an “Update” but I’m not picky.

Though now I want to know what the movie was supposed to be.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm hitting the end of the Nexus episode, which I loved, and now I'm losing my mind about the Into Darkness opinions. That movie is bad on it's own, and bad as a Star Trek movie.
Beyond is great fwiw.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

2009 and Beyond are awesome movies and easily some of my favorite of the entire franchise. I disliked Into Darkness strongly, but I'm on the Jupin Approved 4K train and I have some amazon funny money from christmas so I bought the 4K disc and will re-appraise it myself. If it still sucks, well at least I didnt have to pay for it out of pocket.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pops Mgee posted:

I'm hitting the end of the Nexus episode, which I loved, and now I'm losing my mind about the Into Darkness opinions. That movie is bad on it's own, and bad as a Star Trek movie.
Beyond is great fwiw.

This is me entirely. I definitely had a few "wait, really?" moments during the ID defense, but god do I feel that Beyond gets slept on way too often. It's a great closer to that now-aborted timeline.

Also I was incredibly upset learning that Grunberg was in '09 this whole time and I never noticed.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'm also a fan of '09/Beyond, but I can't take ID. It's too specifically a recreation of previous material. '09 used broad strokes of the characters to reimagine them in its own story, ID traced exact details that couldn't really be done much better than they already were. There are more interesting ideas to spend that money on than, "What if Khan, but with roles swapped?" I'm perfectly fine with Beyond just being a high-budget episode of the show, so I'm not putting impossibly high standards on it.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 31, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Maybe I need to watch Beyond again, because I don’t get why people bring it up as great all the time. I just remember it wasting Idris Elba, destroying the Enterprise AGAIN, and trying to be a supercool action movie with a motorcycle chase scene and stuff like that. It just didn’t hit for me at all, but I haven’t seen it since the theater. I remember liking Soufia Boutella’s character, and how they handled Spock Prime’s death, but that’s about it.

I love Star Trek ‘09, mostly dislike ID outside of some fun scenes and performances like Peter Weller (“Well, poo poo, you let him talk.”), and think Beyond was a forgettable retread (“Hey, remember Beastie Boys?!”) attempt at an action movie made by the Fast and Furious guy. But again, it’s been years, so I should probably give it another shot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Marin Karin posted:

There are more interesting ideas to spend that money on than, "What if Khan, but with roles swapped?"

Never expect more out of JJ Abrams than a slight rearrangement of what you've already seen done worse

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I don't know, Beyond just felt like a good episode of a Star Trek TV show with a high budget. The Enterprise intercepts a distress call and goes to an undiscovered planet and finds a powerful alien presence that threatens the ship and its crew, but it turns out not to be exactly what it seems. It's been done a million times, but it's a story that works. The movie does a decent job of deploying the full cast of the Enterprise, and mixing them up a little bit: the Spock-McCoy bonding stuff was nice. It does fully waste Idris Elba though.

There's nothing groundbreaking about Beyond, but it's a nice movie to watch at the movies.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
One thing I don’t like about any of the Kelvin movies is that the Enterprise gets it’s rear end kicked in every single movie. I know Star Trek isn’t about rear end kicking, but it’s the flagship of Starfleet! It should be able to put up a better fight than what we see.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't know, Beyond just felt like a good episode of a Star Trek TV show with a high budget. The Enterprise intercepts a distress call and goes to an undiscovered planet and finds a powerful alien presence that threatens the ship and its crew, but it turns out not to be exactly what it seems. It's been done a million times, but it's a story that works. The movie does a decent job of deploying the full cast of the Enterprise, and mixing them up a little bit: the Spock-McCoy bonding stuff was nice. It does fully waste Idris Elba though.

There's nothing groundbreaking about Beyond, but it's a nice movie to watch at the movies.

I think that’s why I liked it so much. It was an episode of Star Trek with a big budget and it’s just a lot of drat fun playing in the sandbox of the Star Trek universe. The guys hit the nail on the head that the early movies are very self serious with peppered in fun bits, but the Kelvin stuff is more trying to hit those fun beats with a well honed story (into darkness comes in today so I will see where that sits) that I don’t need to think about too much and maybe the threat can eventually be huge, but in the movie if I remember correctly it’s not a “the whole universe collapses if the bad guys win right away” the way so many big franchise movies can be.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pops Mgee posted:

Beyond is great fwiw.

I’ve listened to the episode now, and I think you’re overblowing it a bit. Jupin makes it clear that ID is the worst of the three, but is just better than you probably remember it. And Cabin says it has a worse script than Beyond, but is better directed, which I’d agree with.

And remember, it’s okay to like a movie. Nothing to lose your mind over.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Not sure if it’s still available anywhere but their commentary on Nemesis is a delight. Same with the chudmentary.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Into Darkness wasn’t as bad as I remember it being. Bumbercatch is pretty good as Khan and there’s some good sequences here and there with the Klingon ground fight, the opening volcano bit and Peter Weller going rogue, but it’s such a tonal shift from the spirited and bright first one that it’s a bit like getting the same meal again but now it’s over cooked and not as good as the last time. Explains why Beyond is so colorful and easier to manage from a story POV.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

Into Darkness wasn’t as bad as I remember it being. Bumbercatch is pretty good as Khan and there’s some good sequences here and there with the Klingon ground fight, the opening volcano bit and Peter Weller going rogue, but it’s such a tonal shift from the spirited and bright first one that it’s a bit like getting the same meal again but now it’s over cooked and not as good as the last time. Explains why Beyond is so colorful and easier to manage from a story POV.

I’ve always felt like both Star Trek ‘09 and ID are about bright, optimistic, fun sci-fi battling against dark, cynical, grim sci-fi. It’s why you have the Enterprise bridge being a literal “ship of lights” (hence the lens flare complaints) and Nero and Admiral Marcus’s ships being black, desolate, scary looking things. Nero is covered in tattoos, obsessed with revenge and canon (“Don’t tell me it didn’t happen, I saw it happen!”), and Marcus is militarizing Starfleet, while Kirk and crew are mostly trying to be explorers (losing their way a bit in ID, as Scotty points out). But in the end, optimism is supposed to win out. It has mixed results, and doesn’t work quite as well in ID (once Khan kills Marcus and becomes the main villain), but the intention was there, I think.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Never expect more out of JJ Abrams than a slight rearrangement of what you've already seen done worse

very true. '09 is literally the only movie of his i enjoy, and that's more because of the cast than anything. i enjoyed tfa for similar reasons, but skywalker really killed that because it showed he has nothing to offer but high-budget recreations and mystery boxes. and i loving LOVE tlj so i'm not even that guy

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 1, 2021

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
WW84 was AWFUL. It was a disappointment on so many levels that I lost track. And honestly I'd love to see the guys and Angelica do a BvS-style takedown of it.

The only semi-bright spot is Kristen Wiig's performance as the awkward, nervously-laughing Barbara Minerva, but she is cheated out of a decent Cheetah performance in a lot of ways by a really, REALLY poo poo script. We get five fuckin minutes of her as the actual Cheetah and the rest of it with her as a Joan Jett video reject.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 1, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

WW84 was AWFUL. It was a disappointment on so many levels that I lost track. And honestly I'd love to see the guys and Angelica do a BvS-style takedown of it.

The only semi-bright spot is Kristen Wiig's performance as the awkward, nervously-laughing Barbara Minerva, but she is cheated out of a decent Cheetah performance in a lot of ways by a really, REALLY poo poo script. We get five fuckin minutes of her as the actual Cheetah and the rest of it with her as a Joan Jett video reject.

You’re right, and I can’t wait for their episode on it. I’d add that Pedro Pascal was also great, though he had a harder job as his character moments were largely nonsensical. He did the best he could, though, and hammed it up.

But yeah, it’s a bad movie.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

You’re right, and I can’t wait for their episode on it. I’d add that Pedro Pascal was also great, though he had a harder job as his character moments were largely nonsensical. He did the best he could, though, and hammed it up.

But yeah, it’s a bad movie.

OK, true, I'll cop to Pascal being great, mostly because the man just oozes emotion in every facial movement. His career has REALLY taken off after GoT--getting the title role in Mandalorian and having it be such a huge success has helped.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pascal and Dinklage really seem to be the only ones who managed to walk away from GoT with their careers improving because everyone else either went down the toilet (Coster-Waldau, Harrington, Turner, Williams, Clarke) or semi vanished (Bean, Headey, Dance). Or am I missing someone?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 1, 2021

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Pascal and Dinklage really seem to be the only ones who managed to walk away from GoT with their careers improving because everyone else either went down the toilet (Costaj-Waldau, Harrington, Turner, Williams, Clarke) or semi vanished (Bean, Dance). Or am I missing someone?

Sean Bean will never vanish; GoT was more like the culmination of an amazing career for him (he got killed off when the show was good).

Also, Jason Momoa went on to do Aquaman after the show, and Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams have gone on to do a bunch of other stuff that was average-to-semi-successful (Turner was Jean Grey in the new X-Men films, Williams went on to have a run on Doctor Who and has done a couple little films).

Reminder that Maisie Williams was--and is--an amazing actress who showed incredible commitment to the role right to the end. She even learned how to fight left-handed (despite being a righty) because Arya in the books was left-handed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Pascal and Dinklage really seem to be the only ones who managed to walk away from GoT with their careers improving because everyone else either went down the toilet (Coster-Waldau, Harrington, Turner, Williams, Clarke) or semi vanished (Bean, Headey, Dance). Or am I missing someone?

Hollywood tried with Clarke, with both her Terminator movie and that Christmas movie she did. It’s just that no one seemed to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Hollywood tried with Clarke, with both her Terminator movie and that Christmas movie she did. It’s just that no one seemed to care.

Unfortunately, I think her problem is that she's just...not that great an actress, as good a person as she is.