Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is so performance-enancing spinach in Thimble Theatre! Remember how they got out of prison and then that other prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mikl posted:

no don't

Mikl, I've always liked your input in the thread, esp. with extra info on Venice, but I'mma have to disagree with you here.

Bring on the insanity, plz.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

Time to take care of some unfinished business.

Mr. Mr. Boop

Comics Thread: Alec Robbins revolutionizes our perceptions of body in space with his hit webcomic "self-insert threesomes his way out of marital problems, runs out of jokes then does a mental-illness bit at his own expense."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

Time to take care of some unfinished business.

Mr. Mr. Boop

Yes, hahaha... YES!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Comic Strips 2021: Speedboats Hurt Manatees!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Andertoons didn't update today. There was some issue with updating Andertoons last year and I bet they are having a similar problem.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

karmicknight posted:

This will be the year I successfully follow the comic strip megathread and not give up about a week in.

I feel this post in my bones...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Huxley posted:

Comics Thread: Alec Robbins revolutionizes our perceptions of body in space with his hit webcomic "self-insert threesomes his way out of marital problems, runs out of jokes then does a mental-illness bit at his own expense."

The "grand finale" of Mr. Boop was put up about an hour ago and hey, it's stupid garbage! Like the rest of the strip!

I know it's a favorite around here but I really loving hate Mr Boop.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

The "grand finale" of Mr. Boop was put up about an hour ago and hey, it's stupid garbage! Like the rest of the strip!

I think it disappeared from the thread at the exact correct time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tambaloneus posted:

I think I remember one of the Addams sharpening fence spikes in one of the movies, perhaps a cute callback to the comic as well as the show?

Gomez did it in the series.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

For the last two years I've been translating and posting Surgeon's Tales. It's a comic based on Finnish author Zachris Topelius' historical novel that was published originally between 1853 and 1867 (original Swedish language title: Fältskärns berättelser) and not particularly well known outside Finland. The comic itself was published in the 1950s and follows the original text very closely.

The story began in 1631 during the Thirty Years' War and we have now reached the end of the Great Northern War which marks the end of Sweden as a great power and the rise of the Russian Empire. Sweden has lost its Baltic lands, Finland has been occupied by the Russians, King Karl XII died childless, his sister Ulrika Eleonora has agreed to abolish the absolute monarchy and then given the crown to her husband Fredrik.

The story has followed several generations of the Bertelsköld family. They have now lost their family estate in Finland, but Torsten recently got back the mystical magic ring, which supposedly brings great fortune to whoever carries it, but destroys you, if you make a false oath. Early in the story it was established, that if the ring stays in the same family for six generations (we've gone through four now), they will become a great royal house, and I'm pretty curious to see how this plays out.

A rough family tree:

And now we jump to Uusikaupunki/Nystad, a town in occupied Finland:

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 1, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Mr. Boop is probably on the low end of offensive comics that's been posted in these threads. It'll run it's course soon enough, and be gone., until then, just scroll past it. There are a bunch of strips that I don't read here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It literally ended this morning so for the Boop-haters in the audience, please rest assured that you will not have to worry about it for much longer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Mr. Boop was real fun when it was in the cartoon insanity phase. Then it jumped up its own butt.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Mr. Boop was real fun when it was in the cartoon insanity phase. Then it jumped up its own butt.

This is how I feel about it. Should have grabbed a different avatar.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I couldn't resist and peeked ahead on Mr. Boop, but I enjoyed the finale and I hope some of you folks strong enough to wait and read it in the thread enjoy it too.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise has six adventures left, friends. Let's enjoy them while we can!

Episode 91: "Children of Lucifer"

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 1, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield continues its march of being a bland marketing(???) arm of a minor media and merchandise empire.

Heathcliff simply is. Garbage Ape for life.

Overboard used to be about mean pirates, now it's about those same pirates but they're nice. The artist never uses any reference photos for animals, and has probably never seen an animal before, it's great. Yes, those are little covid particles in the air, various characters in the strip physically fight them off.

Monty rotates between different casts of lovable, unlikable, characters with a pretty deft hand at both art and writing, but the little rich boy can go to hell, imo.

Rae the Doe, a comic about a trans deer making extremely bad great puns, and her group of gay animal friends. Used to be a webcomic but got syndicated on Comics Kingdom. We just ended an arc featuring a Little Women/JoJo's Bizarre Adventure crossover.

Rae the Doe's web archives are the webcomic version of Rae the Doe, by pure chance we're seeing the New Year's 2020 strips today!

New Year's 2020

Hotel Tour

The author, Olive Brinker, has a patreon you can support the author's Patreon here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I look forward to reading Mr. Boop along with this thread.

Transmodiar posted:

Episode 91: "Children of Lucifer"

https://transmodiar.imgur.com/all/

I also look forward to this Satanic Panic Modesty Blaze! Notice how the story is ostensibly set in California, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side of that landrover (or else it's a British import for some reason)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann, written by Greg Evans (and co-written by his daughter Karen as of 2012), is a mish-mash between gag-a-day and soap strip that began syndication in 1985. In the beginning it was a school-life strip that centered around middle school student Luann DeGroot. Though the characters in this strip generally don't age, they were eventually allowed to move on to high school around 1999ish. Luann and the gang were finally allowed to graduate high school and move on to college in 2014.

In theory, allowing Luann to grow older and graduate into this new stage of life should have opened many new opportunities for young-adult storylines and character development. In practice, though Luann and her pals are all in college, they still all think and behave exactly like middle schoolers.

There's not really a storyline to summarize right now as this week Luann and her best friend (?) Bernice are just yip yapping about the new year. All you really need to know if you're new is that Team Evans are terrible at figuring out what makes a character likeable or relatable, so most of the characters you are supposed to like are execrable, and the ones you are supposed to hate are usually not that bad. Note Bernice today eye-rolling and judging her friend's insufficient gumption. We're supposed to agree!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Some Guy TT posted:

Comics Predating World War II
And He Did: An imagining of what would happen if he did.
Outbursts of Everett True: An imagining of what the world would look like if justice were real.
Hitz and Mrs.: A preimagining of zany husband sitcoms.
Gay and Her Gang: An imagining of flappers.
Oaky Doaks: An imagining of chivalry from the perspective of a goofball.
Dark Laughter: An imagining of how black people would look in comics if they weren't drawn as racist stereotypes.
Mopsy: A reimagining of flappers after the flappers went away.
Patty Jo 'n Ginger: An imagining of what if Mopsy lived with Nancy and also Nancy's a leprechaun.
Kid Comics
Wee Pals: Kids in the sixties complain about pop culture and politics as if they were kids.
Nailed it.

And He Did! (December 19, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 13, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (January 28, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 1, 1935)

Dark Laughter (April 15, 1939)

“But officer, we wuz only playin’ friendly like!”

Mopsy Sunday (September 8, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (March 11, 1950)

“Teacher said I made a PROFOUND observation today … that the DAY BREAKS without ever falling. But NIGHT FALLS and never breaks. ‘Course, I didn’t ‘splain how I knew on accounta Uncle Henry always talks about his TOUGH NIGHTS!”

Dinky Fellas (March 23, 1965)

Wee Pals (March 23, 1965)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Transmodiar posted:

Then settling into the role of experienced manager of a spy agency

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
:siren: HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY 2021 :siren:

(Charles Dana Gibson)

The New Year means that printed and filmed works from 1925 have been sprung from US copyright jail, and the intellectual property therein is now available. Want to write a book about Gatsby's kitchen help grousing about him behind his back? Go nuts. But for our purposes, that throws open the first six months of Bill Conselman and Charles Plumb's Ella Cinders, Ferd Johnson's Texas Slim, and the final installments of Winsor McCay's Dream of the Rarebit Fiend.

Meanwhile, thread favorite Dok Hager had just retired due to failing eyesight, so George Hager and his sister Mary Hager Dearborn retooled the Kid and his community of wiseasses as The Adventures of Waddles, which also began in '25. And really, good for them for keeping the family tradition going, but after a few years of the sometimes-feral Dok ducks, George and Mary's version seems a little domesticated for my tastes.

Anyway, let's join the comics parade.

(Esplinade)

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe) was one of the first strips to adjust to the brave new world of social distancing, mask wearing, and school-age kids struggling with the stress of living in interesting times. It's often :words:, but I'm on board as long as they're good :words:.

Ces also lived up to the 2020 challenge in other important ways.

https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/1277773256372686848

I also returned to Pearls Before Swine (Stephan Pastis), and somehow the Everything On Fire aesthetic of the previous twelve months has found the strip in its element...to the point where you're tempted to do a wellness check on Pastis. Case in point:

Skippy (Percy Crosby) was created for the first version of Life Magazine (which we pull from for Skippy on Sunday). As summed up by Don Markstein: "Once, the name "Skippy" was associated in the public consciousness with an extremely popular comic strip about a little boy and his small town adventures. Comics historian and critic Coulton Waugh (whose cartooning credentials included having taken over Dickie Dare from Milton Caniff) said it "was no routine, ordinarily good job". It's no exaggeration to call it the Peanuts of its time. Now, the name only refers to a brand of peanut butter. There's a connection between the two, and the story behind it appears even more sordid than what's been going on between Disney and the licensor of Winnie the Pooh." (June 21, 1933)

There are two flavors of Peanuts (Charles Schulz) in rotation right now: the early days, before the kids developed a webwork of neuroses and Snoopy developed an active fantasy life, and the stuff I grew up with. It's two decades after the end of the line, so we get to read both, which can't be a bad thing. (January 4, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean (Tom "Goddam" Batiuk and Chuck "You're Killing Me With This poo poo, Pal" Ayers) runs with a two year buffer, which means that the strip takes place in a no-COVID AU that's even more disconnected from The Way We Live Now than in recent years. That's before we get to the supremely insulting Important Story of 2020, about ICE and deportations which was abruptly wrapped up with a "white privilege saves the day!" bow. All so the Pizza Box Golem could make an unwanted second appearance.

Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk and Dan "You Brought This On Yourself, Buddy" Davis), the story of a grumpy malaprop-spouting school bus driver, takes place ten years before Funky Winkerbean, but they both still take place in the modern day. None of this is necessary to know to roll your eyes at either one of them, or (more likely) both.

9 Chickweed Lane (Brooke "History's Greatest Monster" McEldowney) is defined as much by the things the artist/writer refuses to do (acknowledging the past 50 years of the outside world, for instance) as what he does. In that spirit, the big 9CL story of 2020 was the birth of Edda's twins, a set of girls who were promptly swept off the stage for months at a time until McEldowney was ready to reintroduce them as nasty little trolls who speak to each other in the type of snippy, pretentious dialogue that makes Peanuts 1973 read like Peanuts 1953. The upside to that is that we weren't forced to see hothouse flowers Edda and Amos attempt parenting. We were forced to see them attempt foreplay in front of the kids, though.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) was working his usual square-jawed, two-fisted, retro action hero groove until Dan went and Great Gazooed us for the last months of the year with a reality warping space alien. We seem to be back in the "real" world now, but you'll have to forgive me for being a little bit twitchy.

Thimble Theater (Elzie Segar) the beloved tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. Our current storyline is titled "A Sock For Susan's Sake". (August 3, 1937)

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams): cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (November 18-20, 1935)

Ick is the only recurring POC character in OOW, but considering the way he's written and drawn, his appearances go behind the spoiler curtain. I've gone back and forth on that over the years, but last summer kind of sealed the deal.

We're closing on the end of year two of Toonerville Folks (Fontaine Fox), and the long-term cast is gradually falling into place. Small town characters, powerful nursemaids, and a world-famous form of public transport. (December 27-29, 1916, as published in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which didn't seem to give a drat about keeping a six-a-week, Monday-Friday schedule, so they still have a lot of Christmas panels to burn through.)

Regardless of what Dok Hager's heirs did with his property later on, for our purposes The Duck, By Dok (later "Dok's Dippy Duck") is still the story of a smartass Seattle-based duck hanging out on a street corner. Sometimes he picks fights. Sometimes fights pick him. Created by a dentist who took up cartooning in middle age and became a regional legend.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 1, 2021

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Newspaper comic strips once had a much larger influence on popular culture than they do today. I'm aware of at least five cartoonists whose work led to the creation of new idioms. Most recently there's been Gary Larson, whose term 'thagomizer' (the arrangement of spikes on the tail of a stegosaurid) has been used by actual paleontologists, but there's also Al Capp, whose strip "Li'l Abner" introduced the notion of "Sadie Hawkins dances" and, more indirectly, "Skunk Works". The concept of the Rube Goldberg machine is named in honor of the ridiculously overcomplicated devices that Goldberg portrayed. Arthur "Pop" Momand's strip "Keeping Up with the Joneses" is now the name of a societal phenomenon.

And then there's HT Webster. Webster had a different daily strip for each day of the week - the collections I've found on archive.org mention his "The Thrill That Comes Once in a Lifetime / Life's Darkest Moment", and "Our Boyhood Ambitions / The Boy Who Made Good" and "How To Torture Your Wife/Husband" and an entire strip dedicated to cardplayer humor which was titled alternately "Bridge" and "Poker". But what he's most remembered for is The Timid Soul, which is about a man named Caspar Milquetoast.

I've amassed a few hundred strips from various sources, which I'm not going to be posting in any sort of order, but that doesn't matter because Webster didn't really care about continuity. Caspar lives in (usually) a house, but sometimes an apartment, and is married to a dark-haired woman named 'Madge'- but it took Webster a while to decide on those details, so in earlier strips she may not be either.

Webster usually put a ridiculous amount of detail into the art - look at the shadows, the reflections, and anything with visible mechanical parts.

I'm fairly sure I have at least one "New Year's Resolution" strip, but this installment of The Timid Soul (November 11, 1935) is posted in honor of it also being Public Domain Day.

"Oh Susanna" was published in 1848, 87 years before this strip.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parahexavoctal posted:

Newspaper comic strips once had a much larger influence on popular culture than they do today. I'm aware of at least five cartoonists whose work led to the creation of new idioms. Most recently there's been Gary Larson, whose term 'thagomizer' (the arrangement of spikes on the tail of a stegosaurid) has been used by actual paleontologists, but there's also Al Capp, whose strip "Li'l Abner" introduced the notion of "Sadie Hawkins dances" and, more indirectly, "Skunk Works". The concept of the Rube Goldberg machine is named in honor of the ridiculously overcomplicated devices that Goldberg portrayed. Arthur "Pop" Momand's strip "Keeping Up with the Joneses" is now the name of a societal phenomenon.

The officially designated "U.S. Army Truck" got its common name from the Popeye character, Eugene the Jeep.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Newspaper comic strips once had a much larger influence on popular culture than they do today.

Are you claiming that "Sluggo is lit!" isn't the most influential meme of the 2010s?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
2021 reminder: Dustin Burn in Hell

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (Elzie Segar) the beloved tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. Our current storyline is titled "A Sock For Susan's Sake". (August 3, 1937)

to reiterate my guess from last thread, I think the question Popeye needs to ask is "is the man who claims to be Mr Brown, actually Mr Brown".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky WInkerbean (Tom "Goddam" Batiuk and Chuck "You're Killing Me With This poo poo, Pal" Ayers) runs with a two year buffer, which means that the strip takes place in a no-COVID AU that's even more disconnected from The Way We Live Now than in recent years.

This is a joke, right

please tell me this is a joke and im falling for it

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Parahexavoctal posted:

to reiterate my guess from last thread, I think the question Popeye needs to ask is "is the man who claims to be Mr Brown, actually Mr Brown".
Didn't Susan see him?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy new year! Looking forward to posting in this thread with you all!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Oh, LazyQ, you should probably repost that image of the cast of characters so people new to Mämmilä can tell the characters apart.

That said, Mämmilä does a great job depicting flawed people and makes me have mixed feelings about them. Heimo here is definitely reaping what he sowed when he tricked his wife into pregnancy, but you do feel sorry for him suffering from depression and then isolating himself instead of trying out therapy. And now people are coming in and treating him like some kind of tourist attraction, which certainly doesn't help.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
crankshaft and winkerbean both have two people working on them but that’s the best they can do lmao

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Drakyn posted:

This isn't STRICTLY SPEAKING a comic strip, but does involve them: local webcomics whipping-boy Questionable Content has been doing 100 stupid comics (his words, not mine) over the last week or so and one of today's new-year-fresh batch involves a familiar subject!

I saw that, it was weird seeing a wild 9CL reference.

It's also something that that mouth is still not as horrifying as the ones in the actual comic.

The Shadow Jul. 9th, 1940

Axa

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mikl posted:

there are no humans

Isn't this technically not true? From what I recall one of the...rabbits? is actually a human who went there from our world and decided to stay because her counterpart in that world was already dead, or something. And then wasn't there a baby human at some point that all the animals got freaked out about because it was some weird hairless freak to them? Or did it end up turning out to be an ape or something?

Parahexavoctal posted:

At first I thought maybe there was some sort of "If she stays here she will be in terrible danger so I must kick her out for her own safety" situation but after this strip yeah I think you're spot on.

quote:

Axa

Oh my god this is like the third loving time she's escaped from a place only to almost immediately be captured and brought back to that same place.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Isn't this technically not true? From what I recall one of the...rabbits? is actually a human who went there from our world and decided to stay because her counterpart in that world was already dead, or something. And then wasn't there a baby human at some point that all the animals got freaked out about because it was some weird hairless freak to them? Or did it end up turning out to be an ape or something?

Up to the point I've reached by posting the classic strips, it's true: zero humans so far. Though you're correct that it will change in the future :)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Didn't Susan see him?

Hm, that's true.

Perhaps the question Popeye should ask is, is the person in Mister Brown's body actually Mister Brown?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am resurrected.

Monster Rally – 1950

2020 mood.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is brilliant.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parahexavoctal posted:

Perhaps the question Popeye should ask is, is the person in Mister Brown's body actually Mister Brown?

...glory, glory, hallelujah..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Nailed it.

And He Did! (December 19, 1917)

And They Did!