Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol if youve never destroyed a giant styrofoam cup of boiled peanuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spookykid posted:

You eat them shell and all. If done right, they can be pretty tasty. You see them all over the American southeast.

What the gently caress

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Do it ironically posted:

There’s a place near where I live that fits this in Canada it’s called the log barn, I’m on mobile but it’s a fruit stand place that has goats, dinosaur statues, dragon statues, just the dumbest random poo poo to get people to pull off.

Also there was one of the flinstone parks in the okanagan as well I remember going to it as a kid

Armstrong BC? My mom went there this year for bird watching.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I should say you can eat them shell and all, some people do (the cajun or spicy ones especially soak up a lot of flavor), while some people kinda do the whole edamame deal and discard the shell.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've always wondered how people ate boiled peanuts. I sometimes used to eat a regular roasted peanut shell and all when I was a kid. But you can feel it coming out when you poop.

And I've never seen someone eat the edamame shell. That's weird.

edit: oh I misread that. No eating soy bean shells.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've always wondered how people ate boiled peanuts. I sometimes used to eat a regular roasted peanut shell and all when I was a kid. But you can feel it coming out when you poop.

Yeah when I mentioned edamame, I meant some people treat the boiled peanuts like you would edamame, where you tease out the bean and toss the shell. It's about a 60/40 split on boiled peanuts of shell discard/eat shell in people I've met.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtZb4vWNLA

Not a jpg but I think it belongs.

edit: Oh I looked it up, that took place in Canada but that's totally in North America so it counts!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtZb4vWNLA

Not a jpg but I think it belongs.

edit: Oh I looked it up, that took place in Canada but that's totally in North America so it counts!

This owns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fyi this guy is called Rex and he used to be part of a long gone mini golf course. He's been saved from destruction by developers multiple times due to public outcry and now has his own little fenced in yard in front of a strip mall

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Not really small town, but this thread reminded me of a tourist attraction from my hometown:

Featuring the world's largest wurlitzer organ.

Request a song and maybe they'll even have some cats dance along.

Experience it with this guy who describes it as "American eccentricism at its best".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3w7tdh5to

I spent a few birthdays at this restaurant, I mainly just remember the dancing cats and that the organist knew every song ever. When I expressed my amazement my dad said, "He doesn't know everything! Try requesting some Cosmo Topper!"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
The Sherp was totally designed for that exact type of mud in inhospitable Russian floodplains. It's entirely amphibious with positive buoyancy, thus the paddled tires. The one that guy has in the video runs about $115,000.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Holy poo poo that wurlitzer restaurant.

And ^^^^ yeah that guy doing a victory lap and poo poo, for having a 6 figure utility vehicle out among those other ones, what a wanker

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ngl, I would like to see that chap's organ.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheAardvark posted:

Holy poo poo that wurlitzer restaurant.

And ^^^^ yeah that guy doing a victory lap and poo poo, for having a 6 figure utility vehicle out among those other ones, what a wanker

Oooooo organ slop! :kiddo:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nHjCWl_Xg

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tip posted:

"He doesn't know everything! Try requesting some Cosmo Topper!"

The TV show?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Little known band that my dad loves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoFY8V_0SI

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Boiled peanuts are really common in southeast Asia, although no one eats the shells to my knowledge. The only place I've ever seen them in the US is at Mexican markets, I had no idea that there could be Americana boiled peanuts, nice find

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spookykid posted:

You eat them shell and all. If done right, they can be pretty tasty. You see them all over the American southeast.

The shell's edible, but you're a weirdo if you eat the shell. Peanut Patch is absolutely disgusting. Boiled peanuts are only good fresh.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: oh I misread that. No eating soy bean shells.

Hello when i first had edamame i did that and the bartender was like huh i never seen someone eat those like that and immediatly learned my mistake

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The "Ghost Town" aesthetic always reminds me of Fallout, with its fetishization of rusting metal and consumerism.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

spookykid posted:

I lived in the south as a kid. I've eaten god knows how many boiled peanuts, my dad ran a side business selling them for years (he sold them as a kid, as well as my grandpa) and I was one of the hawkers that worked football games for him

I have never in my life seen anyone eat a boiled peanut shell-on save for maybe the little tiny baby ones that get squishy, why the gently caress are you eating the shell

y'all please don't eat the peanut shells

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No one out-dildos the Hut

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

subpar anachronism posted:

I lived in the south as a kid. I've eaten god knows how many boiled peanuts, my dad ran a side business selling them for years (he sold them as a kid, as well as my grandpa) and I was one of the hawkers that worked football games for him

I have never in my life seen anyone eat a boiled peanut shell-on save for maybe the little tiny baby ones that get squishy, why the gently caress are you eating the shell

Maybe 40% of spookykid's friends are goats

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If you really like peanut butter would you like boiled peanuts?

Do they taste like peanut butter or do the good flavors all boil out?

Are they slimy? Mushy? Maybe firm with a slight crunch kinda like a macadamia nut?

Does anyone in new england sell them?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

spookykid posted:

The Sherp was totally designed for that exact type of mud in inhospitable Russian floodplains. It's entirely amphibious with positive buoyancy, thus the paddled tires. The one that guy has in the video runs about $115,000.

It's a dick move from him, but it's not like the COST is the issue. Some of those other mud bogging trucks he's running against are EASY getting close to that after some of those mods. Some of those are relatively new trucks with 30-40k of add on parts and entirely new engines in them, I mean, they're close.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah you definitely don’t eat the shells, I’ve literally never seen anyone do that.

Indian pizza is good!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

It's a dick move from him, but it's not like the COST is the issue. Some of those other mud bogging trucks he's running against are EASY getting close to that after some of those mods. Some of those are relatively new trucks with 30-40k of add on parts and entirely new engines in them, I mean, they're close.

Yeah, those tuff-mudders are rapidly approaching EASILY $100k/truck. I liked the rando KJ trying to stunt tho.

subpar anachronism posted:

Yeah I only eat the little singles in the shell, but the last time I had them that was all there were? Liked the slightly-crunchy and the flavor-savers? Dunno, seen a lot of people (weirdos?) eat them shell and all, maybe a weird machismo thing?

E: had the batch of little singles down on the SC border at a weird corner store and like it was like the shells fell apart in my mouth and were like "huh, well that's just all gonna come out in the wash" and it did 18 hours later lol

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 2, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
BOILED PEANUT COLON CLEANSE

E: mods pls

EE: next you're gonna tell me I'm not supposed to swallow the chaw

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 2, 2021

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I'm not in the US but the first time I heard about boiled peanuts was here many, many years ago via that Steve Sutton blogger who the site was fascinated, with to the point of including him a flashtub. I've since been keen to try them.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Not technically Americana, but it reminds me of this stuff and may as well be.

Sometime in 1970's Australia, some bloke got it in his mind (probably after visiting America) that building a huge gently caress off thing that represents his town would bring in tourists, or what amounted to tourism in those days. (Which meant a stop off for a piss, a pie and a sausage roll at the local bakery).

So over the next two decades, literally hundreds of random 'big' things started appearing all over Australia, usually one per country town. Each one would think up a random thing that vaguely related to their town, usually a piece of fruit, and construct a huge fuckoff monstrosity with varying degrees of craftmanship. Many of these still exist today, rotting in the hot sun, relying on various business interest to care about giving them a new lick of paint every 15 years and patching holes.

So we have Big Mangos,

Big oranges,

Big Pineapples,

Big Bananas,

Big Avocados,

But not all country towns are known for their fruit, so they had to get inventive...

Big Koalas,

Big Galah's

Big Prawns,

Big Mosquitos, because that's what you want your town remembered for...

and my personal favourite, Larry the Big Lobster.

This is by no means a definitive list of course. There's hundreds more of these things in various quality that have appeared and disappeared over the decades, as the ideal Australian family holiday moved on from endlessely driving around the country in a rented campavan taking photos at each and every 'big thing' and collecting the commerative teaspoon.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Americana and everything rural is better than any amusement park.

This may have been true some years ago but Hezbollah opened an amusement park recently.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

500excf type r posted:

If you really like peanut butter would you like boiled peanuts?

Do they taste like peanut butter or do the good flavors all boil out?

Are they slimy? Mushy? Maybe firm with a slight crunch kinda like a macadamia nut?

Does anyone in new england sell them?

They taste like mushy grainy dirt and smell like a wet dog died in a soggy dumpster.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

iwentdoodie posted:

They taste like mushy grainy dirt and smell like a wet dog died in a soggy dumpster.

So another disappointment like grits I guess :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

500excf type r posted:

So another disappointment like grits I guess :/

Grits are a vehicle for hot sauce to go with your eggs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That granny looks like a caricature of That Granny

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

You are so hosed up. You need a good thinking over.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It is worth pointing out this is relatively small for a mosquito in Australia

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Waterbed Wendy posted:

You are so hosed up. You need a good thinking over.

Enjoy your crunchy mud pie tasting rear end ruined legumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Enjoy your crunchy mud pie tasting rear end ruined legumes.

I bet you like dunkin donuts. Big dunkin vibes coming off you.