Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Love to direct films without any concept of what it means to be a "crowd pleaser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343328735932469248

And the dude who wrote that awful Splinter of the Mind's Eye book where the climax is Vader and Leia having a debate about banking regulations or some poo poo wrote a script treatment for Episode IX that literally lobotomized Rey because he hated her so much and got laughed out the room by the folks at Lucasfilm.
Okay he doesn't deserve the royalties after all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
alan dean foster has always been a crank and a hack. he should get paid but he isn't worth paying attention to

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

reignofevil posted:

Love to direct films without any concept of what it means to be a "crowd pleaser".

Do people actually give a poo poo about babu frik?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

nah just Stephen Spielberg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Babu Frik is one of the few elements of Rise of Skywalker that most people actually liked. But in general, eh, no.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I felt like there were articles about how much people loved babu frik out before the movie itself was out. Needless to say, didn’t feel very organic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I felt like there were articles about how much people loved babu frik out before the movie itself was out. Needless to say, didn’t feel very organic
I'm sure they were about as organic about the 500 million blog posts within a period of a few days about baby yoda when season 1 of the Mandalorian aired.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

whenever Babu Frik's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "is Babu Frik dead?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Huuuuheeeeeey!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The one good joke in that movie and they had to outsource it to Ben Schwartz to nail it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yo i hate this shirt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

The one good joke in that movie and they had to outsource it to Ben Schwartz to nail it.

Well, that is his specialty.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mystes posted:

I'm sure they were about as organic about the 500 million blog posts within a period of a few days about baby yoda when season 1 of the Mandalorian aired.

Isn't Baby Yoda's name like, Groogu or some bullshit now?

Also I unironically love porgs and gently caress anyone who doesn't.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Porgs were legitimately the best thing in TLJ.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I appreciate why porgs exist and I think it's a clever solution to the puffin problem. I loving hate how much they are pushed as merch, though.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Disney tried to push back on the phrase “baby yoda” iirc, in favor of The Child

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Disney tried to push back on the phrase “baby yoda” iirc, in favor of The Child

gonna rate this one a baby no-da

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

God, just when I thought Rise of Skywalker couldn't get any retroactively worse

https://twitter.com/SWTweets/status/1343693497522561024

JJ Abrams just kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet Babu Frik and had to have it pointed out to him by Steven Spielberg that he accidentally killed him off originally.

1) JJ Abrams is a directorial coward and both his films have characters who died in script hastily saved, I completely get why Disney hired him now
2) I laughed when they blew up Babu Frick with the big gun so finding out he lived later in the film was a bitter pill.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
WW84 sucked poo poo top to bottom and PJ is gonna do a bad job

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Honestly, this is the best thing Lucas film project since the Disney acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9RI8_QYmw

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Barudak posted:

1) JJ Abrams is a directorial coward and both his films have characters who died in script hastily saved, I completely get why Disney hired him now
2) I laughed when they blew up Babu Frick with the big gun so finding out he lived later in the film was a bitter pill.

Honestly I thought of "weird mask lady for Poe to be into" dying and chuckled, I don't think I considered that Babu Frik might have ate it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, this is the best thing Lucas film project since the Disney acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9RI8_QYmw

i was watching the documentary it's taken from and man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVCaUonrbE&t=877s

does anyone else get a crank vibe from this

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cease to Hope posted:

i was watching the documentary it's taken from and man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVCaUonrbE&t=877s

does anyone else get a crank vibe from this

I think that's just entrepreneurs as a class. The basic technology doesn't require any particular deviation from well-understood physics, and there are research molten salt reactors that actually exist and produce power. I don't know if it will ever lead to any widespread adoption since, well, it's nuclear reactors, which means political factors are the overwhelming concern.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mystes posted:

You can tell that Disney somehow had no idea that people would fall in love with Baby Yoda for how goddamn long it took for them to merchandize it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They intentionally held back merchandising until after the season started to avoid leaks spoiling the character.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

You can tell that Disney somehow had no idea that people would fall in love with Baby Yoda for how goddamn long it took for them to merchandize it.
It's simply impossible that they had no idea of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's more that Disney assumes no one cares about its TV shows and it's all about the movies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Woebin posted:

It's simply impossible that they had no idea of this.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's more that Disney assumes no one cares about its TV shows and it's all about the movies.

it’s this

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They intentionally held back merchandising until after the season started to avoid leaks spoiling the character.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember those light up road signs asking you to buckle up and not drink and drive referencing Baby Yoda in late 2019. Truly cursed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that Disney's weird as hell about their TV cartoons with their 3 season limit, but I don't know if that carries over to their adult TV or if there's some kind of internal separation with the other TV companies that they own.

The Mandalorian was a surprise success, and it was basically an accident that it even came out because they lost confidence in their grand Star Wars movie plan and downgraded the upcoming Bob Fett movie to a TV show. I don't know if they'll start respecting TV more or try to learn and reproduce the success or if they'll just forget about it. Massive corporations are unknowable inscrutable beasts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Aren’t they launching like 6 new tv shows? I think they got the message

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
they've got something like 68 million people paying $7 a month (soon to be $8 a month) for disney plus. they've absolutely done the math by this point and concluded that having a steady stream of half a billion dollars a month is worth propping up as hard as they can.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that Disney's weird as hell about their TV cartoons with their 3 season limit, but I don't know if that carries over to their adult TV or if there's some kind of internal separation with the other TV companies that they own.

The Mandalorian was a surprise success, and it was basically an accident that it even came out because they lost confidence in their grand Star Wars movie plan and downgraded the upcoming Bob Fett movie to a TV show. I don't know if they'll start respecting TV more or try to learn and reproduce the success or if they'll just forget about it. Massive corporations are unknowable inscrutable beasts.

It's because of union stuff apparently that they have to pay the crew more if a show goes over 3 seasons. Apparently DuckTales got cancelled (boo) because Star Vs got a fourth season that apparently underperformed. Not sure if this applies specifically to animated stuff either, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Remains to be seen whether the executive fuckery and aversion to long-term planning that helped the sequels to poo poo the bed so badly will instead flock to the TV division rather than just letting creators do whatever as long as they stick to the style guide.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 5, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Rise of Skywalker is easily the worst Star War, but Babu Frik is unironically excellent, and whenever he was on screen were the only parts of the film where I was not utterly miserable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Karloff posted:

Rise of Skywalker is easily the worst Star War, but Babu Frik is unironically excellent, and whenever he was on screen were the only parts of the film where I was not utterly miserable.

It actually caught me off guard how genuine and wholesome it was because up to that point the whole movie just had this underlying air of misery and meanspiritedness that I'd never seen before from a franchise movie like that. I didn't think the film had it in it to be that good and fun, and then like ten minutes later the "Rey Palpatine" bomb dropped :manning:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Isn’t babu frik onscreen to murder threepio, which all the protagonists laugh at, and it turns out it wasn’t necessary anyway since the new droid had the info anyway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AdmiralViscen posted:

Isn’t babu frik onscreen to murder threepio, which all the protagonists laugh at, and it turns out it wasn’t necessary anyway since the new droid had the info anyway

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Babu knew what movie he was in, so he knew 3PO would be ok