Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
There's tons of iron set for cheap on ebay if you need +2", shouldn't be too hard for you to find something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

harperdc posted:

yeah the one thing I forgot to mention - I'm like a few others who discussed this a page or so ago, I'm 6'5 and have extensions (I think my dad said 2"?) in the irons.

whether this is possible or economical to get done for a set in Tokyo is something I haven't researched quite yet. I know plenty of gently used sets are rattling around (I saw a bunch at a used sporting goods shop last week) but I'm worried about nothing fitting me.

As long as you are not a lefty, should be easyish on eBay. local might be difficult. Worst case, buy stand clubs and add the extensions.bif you have a sawsall, they cut through extension material like butter.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I broke 90 for the first time! Shot a 87 at The Reserve - North Course (Portland area), which is a decently difficult track. I'm tremendously proud of that accomplishment and just want to say that golf is the best. Two years playing the game and being this good at it (which is still really bad!) is something I didn't think I would ever accomplish.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a loving awesome feeling, enjoy it :cheers:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

I broke 90 for the first time! Shot a 87 at The Reserve - North Course (Portland area), which is a decently difficult track. I'm tremendously proud of that accomplishment and just want to say that golf is the best. Two years playing the game and being this good at it (which is still really bad!) is something I didn't think I would ever accomplish.

Congratulations, you’re now one of the best 25% of golfers in the world!

That’s awesome man, I remember the first time I broke 90, it was like ripping a bandaid off in the quest for playing good golf. Now brace yourself for the inevitable disappointment before you do it again lol.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Awesome. Congrats!

Unfortunately, golf being the vindictive rear end in a top hat that it is, that'll now be the bar against which all your future rounds are judged. I've shot 1 under twice in my life - both shortly after high school (I'm about to turn 36) - and I'm still not happy when I shoot like 75, because that's pretty close to 71 and if I had just not done this one dumb thing and missed that one 5 footer blah blah blah. Golf is the best.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anno posted:

Awesome. Congrats!

Unfortunately, golf being the vindictive rear end in a top hat that it is, that'll now be the bar against which all your future rounds are judged. I've shot 1 under twice in my life - both shortly after high school (I'm about to turn 36) - and I'm still not happy when I shoot like 75, because that's pretty close to 71 and if I had just not done this one dumb thing and missed that one 5 footer blah blah blah. Golf is the best.

I have a buddy that I probably play, 40ish times a year with. I'm playing with him more often than I'm not, and he's never broken 80.

I've been with him when he's shot 80, 81, shot 34 on the front, any permutation that you can think. He just gets inside his own head so badly. Like he'll have to finish bogey bogey to shoot 79 and will go double double. I feel so bad for him. Three jack on 16 to have to finish -1 over the last two, it's a bummer.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
grats, Kirios!

Shrapnig posted:

I have a buddy that I probably play, 40ish times a year with. I'm playing with him more often than I'm not, and he's never broken 80.

I've been with him when he's shot 80, 81, shot 34 on the front, any permutation that you can think. He just gets inside his own head so badly. Like he'll have to finish bogey bogey to shoot 79 and will go double double. I feel so bad for him. Three jack on 16 to have to finish -1 over the last two, it's a bummer.

this is me with 100

i don't feel bad i haven't broken 100 because i play like twice a year and that's no way to get good but i do feel bad about all the times i was on pace for 95 and finished 8-8-7

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Shrapnig posted:

Yeah this is my one friend and making an eagle. He's a pretty solid golfer, usually shoots low-mid 80s, and he's never in his life made an eagle despite playing for 25+ years. I think three times I've seen him lip out eagle putts inside of 10 feet, and each time I can just see his soul being crushed. Golf is a cruel master.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

New thread title, even though we all wish it were still 2017. Golf Megathread: It's All Pain

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm a 13 hc and I've broken 80 three times, shot even par for a front 9 and made 2 eagles. I'm a decent player but I'm really good at forgetting/not caring about previous mistakes. Golf is all about having a cornerback mentality and instantly forgetting about whatever just happened if it was bad, and building off it if it was good. If you make a couple birdie/par putts to start a round then it's your day and it's time to go on a hot streak, if you lip a couple out or start slow and make a bogey/double then there's plenty of holes to birdie and improve your score.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Who here knows old clubs? I have been using a set of Golden Bear GB5’s (bought ages ago just for the range but I recently started playing) and I just realised I bought some old Ben Hogan Apex irons (3-PW & SW) on New Years at some point. I know nothing about either, but I see Hogan still make clubs and there’s a similar set on their site. Are either any good or am I bad with money?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I shoot about 30/70 70s or 80s. My best rounds all have more regrets than my average rounds or my bad rounds.

I play with a guy who couldn't believe I was having a great day and teed off a reachable par 5 with a 5 iron.Yeah, a good drive means I can cut the corner for a two hundred yard shot over water into a green where long is a tough comeback, and deep bunkers protect left and right. A regular 5i leaves me 150 or so to the perfect layup that takes out one bunker and makes the water a non-issue.

On a bad day, it's driver, go for that green and the eagle putt because if I blow it, it didn't hurt that bad round, and if I make it it won't rescue the score necessarily, but it lets me leave the course on an up note.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The wind was absolutely blasting last time I played, and got a rare 290 yd drive, gave myself a chance for eagle. And then I three putted. This loving game is cruel.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Dr. Capco posted:

I'm a 13 hc and I've broken 80 three times, shot even par for a front 9 and made 2 eagles. I'm a decent player but I'm really good at forgetting/not caring about previous mistakes. Golf is all about having a cornerback mentality and instantly forgetting about whatever just happened if it was bad, and building off it if it was good. If you make a couple birdie/par putts to start a round then it's your day and it's time to go on a hot streak, if you lip a couple out or start slow and make a bogey/double then there's plenty of holes to birdie and improve your score.

Actually this is wrong. Golf is all about never letting go of anything bad and forgetting anything good you've done almost as it happens. Existence is pain. Spend money to suffer.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kirios posted:

Hey grats. Thats the best feeling. You never forget that first time.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone ever heard of black lab golf? I’m pretty close to ordering a custom putter from there, apparently it’s some dude in Georgia named Chip Usher, has really good reviews/praise from the few mentions of him on golfwrx.

What draws me is you can get a full custom putter, including length, loft, lie, finish(black oxide, oil can, or aquamarine, in glossy/satin/matte), as many stamps(or completely clean) as you want, for like $350. He’ll even do custom grinding and stuff(like taper down the heel).

I know I just said I may be done with blade putters, but tell me some of his BL-2 (tri-sole Newport 2 style) and BL-8 putters don’t just look beautiful. I’m a sucker for a glossy oil can or black oxide finish though.

https://blacklabgolf.com/gallery/

I can barely get a used Scotty Cameron OTR for that! I miss my oil can Newport 2 :(.

I’ve been using my perfect practice putting mat, and while it’s great, I’m outgrowing it, I wish I had something longer. I’d love to rig up some sort of sensor to see how many putts I’m rolling over the winter. It’s a lot, but my putting was atrocious this past year and needs to be better this summer!

Oh yeah, and I have a piretti Teramo center shaft coming in the mail tomorrow that I bought from some guy for $150 on FB.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm about to order a demo set of Sub 70 699 Pros. I'm due for new irons and I'd like to get fitted to find my ideal length/lie angle. I like that with Sub 70 you can pick everything you want and the clubs are still fairly cheap. Probably going to get a 3 Hybrid from them as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

I'm about to order a demo set of Sub 70 699 Pros. I'm due for new irons and I'd like to get fitted to find my ideal length/lie angle. I like that with Sub 70 you can pick everything you want and the clubs are still fairly cheap. Probably going to get a 3 Hybrid from them as well.
Just be careful with distance gapping. They have strong lofts and they're hollow body.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Any recommendations for soft spike waterproof shoes for someone who only walks the course? I love my Nike Roshe Gs, but they just sop up the water. I'm going to be playing a lot of early morning (dewy) rounds in the spring and could definitely use something a bit more waterproof.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Any recommendations for soft spike waterproof shoes for someone who only walks the course? I love my Nike Roshe Gs, but they just sop up the water. I'm going to be playing a lot of early morning (dewy) rounds in the spring and could definitely use something a bit more waterproof.

You want soft spike as in removable or as in the kinda molded sole?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DJExile posted:

You want soft spike as in removable or as in the kinda molded sole?

Removable. My currents are “spikeless” and they slide too much on damp grass.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xsf421 posted:

Anything waterproof should get the job done. Nike Air Zoom Victory Tour and FootJoy DryJoys Tour are solid options.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah dryjoys are the standard and have been for a long time

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Old school Footjoys are dope

People will make fun of you for having old man shoes, but those old man shoes leave my feet dry as hell

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

FWIW, I have 2 pairs of Nike Lunar Control 3's in these baller colorways. Bought them back in 2016 when Burlington Coat Factory and Ross got Nike's overstock and cleared them out for $20-30/pair.

Still rocking these.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I have 4 different pair of True Linkswears and most of their lines are waterproof, extremely comfortable, and I’ve had no issues with traction. The other good thing is that most of them look pretty good as a casual shoe that you’d never realize was a golf shoe.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
None of the Trues have spikes though.

Nearly all FJs look terrible, but when it comes to keeping your feet dry, they're hard to beat.

In non-waterproof golf shoe news, I bought a pair of the knit Trues on black friday for like $50 and they're super comfortable to wear, but it took wearing them for 4 or 5 rounds before I could get by without having to put band-aids on my heels where the top rubs against my feet because they absolutely tore the poo poo out of my skin the first time I wore them.

Never have that issue with other shoes, but I vaguely remember buying a different pair of Trues 2 years ago and having the same issue.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ran across an interesting topic on thesandtrap, it’s a few years old, but related to putting stroke.

One guy on there is an instructor with a SAM lab and makes a pretty compelling case for NOT accelerating through the ball while putting.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/74295-putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/

I’ve been trying more of a pendulum (equal length backstroke and downstroke), and it’s definitely a change, but I can see this being really helpful for distance control.

Anyone else see this before?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I love DryJoys and dont care how they look cause my game is enough of a joke. Just don't forget cedar trees, mine get real gross real fast.

Just placed an order for JPX921HM's yesterday. Finally replacing my MP60's after....13 years? Fairly stoked, I was never really good enough for the MP60's the JPX feel a little more relaxed and easier to hit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Just placed an order for JPX921HM's yesterday. Finally replacing my MP60's after....13 years? Fairly stoked, I was never really good enough for the MP60's the JPX feel a little more relaxed and easier to hit.

Welcome to the Hot Metal family, friend.

In decidedly not hot news, I'm playing tomorrow, high of 42 with 10-15mph winds. Nice first round of the new year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played my first round in about a.month. 37 to start, one hour frost delay. Only the front nine open, full weekend price to play the front twice.

On the other hand, as always with a decent layoff, my first round back is well struck. 40 first nine, 39 second. Hit a different club off the tee on every hole the second time around, just for the change. No three putts, my two birdies were putts of 12 and 40 feet on the same hole.

Spectacular sunny day, finally got to 40 around the 12th hole, zero wind. First tee time, me and Harvey (75ish dude) finished 18 in 3 hours, and would have been faster but had to play behind folks on the second 9.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It was too cold to play, greens were like hitting onto a basketball court and putting on a pool table.

Made one birdie, took my losses, only lost one ball, am finally getting feeling back in my fingers. All in all a good day.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

It was too cold to play, greens were like hitting onto a basketball court and putting on a pool table.

Made one birdie, took my losses, only lost one ball, am finally getting feeling back in my fingers. All in all a good day.

Embrace the pain of winter golf!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Embrace the pain of winter golf!

I remember a 20 degree shotgun start at a district tourney in HS. Shivering like a gently caress, plonked my first tee shot right on the hosel. Felt that poo poo for the entire front nine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

XBenedict posted:

I remember a 20 degree shotgun start at a district tourney in HS. Shivering like a gently caress, plonked my first tee shot right on the hosel. Felt that poo poo for the entire front nine.

I hit 5i off the tee a lot in winter. Hitting it thin is the death of feeling for a hole or two.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yesssssss

https://twitter.com/angry__saint/status/1348350058861797376

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

This is cool and good.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Unexpectedly awesome