Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What of the announced new shows are you most excited about?
This poll is closed.
Uzumaki 29 33.33%
Fena Pirate Princess 13 14.94%
That Blade Runner Thing 5 5.75%
Trick Question: They're all bad 14 16.09%
Please just rerun Cowboy Bebop 26 29.89%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's now officially both an Animation for Adults thread and an Adult Swim Megathread in TVIV since a lot of people wanted to discuss Adult Swim stuff without drowning in anime chat. If you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool)

Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars: please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime and are most notable for bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and after nostalgia-fueled fan outcry, it's back for good.... drat we're coming up on the revival lasting longer than the original run now that you think about it....

Currently airing:

12:00 - My Hero Academia

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (a viable career option), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no superpower (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him basically a freak, in a bad way. Can he somehow still become a hero even if he has no powers? Will meeting the world's #1 (and his personal favorite) hero All Might help and gaining his super special unique power help? Duh, of course it will.

It's a brand new season everybody! All the previews are only talking about Class 1-A facing off against Class 1-B but that doesn't seem like enough to fill a season, sooo uh, we'll see what else happens from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vs5ShmtsCE

12:30 - Dr. Stone

One day, out of nowhere, a mysterious wave of green light petrifies the entirety of humanity. 2 Japanese schoolboys (one of whom gets written off the show pretty quickly, bye Taiju) have broken out of their stone prisons. Now high schooler Senku Ishigami has to free the rest of humanity and rebuild civilization. Sure is lucky that he's a super-genius polymath who's gonna use SCIENCE to do it!

This season, Senku's finally raised his tech tree high enough to take the fight to Tsukasa and try to stop him from decapitating people to make his ideal world. So uhhh, how's that gonna go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApY8P6ullWE

1:00 - Food Wars!
I'm just so tired of all these food wars...

Teenager Soma Yukihira aspires to take over his family's restaurant and surpass his father Joichiro's culinary skills, but Joichiro gets a new job that requires him to travel around the world, and promptly closes the shop. Joichiro has Soma enroll in Totsuki Culinary Academy, an elite culinary school where students engage in food competitions called... well, food wars. The food is so good it literally makes people's clothes burst off and give them orgasms so make sure you watch it on your big screen TV at max volume just as your mom comes in to ask what you're doing.

Also when Soma gets in Food Wars he ties his headband on and he takes it off when the war is over and I feel like it's identical to how Yugi turns into the Pharoah in the early seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh to the point where if I had half-decent video editing skills I'd make a drat comparison video but anyway I digress...

For real, this show is so horny the close captions use the term "foodgasmic". Possibly :nws:

Full preview here

1:30 - The Promised Neverland

The Promised Neverland is a show all about 3 kids living in an orphanage who find a big secret, and if you don't want to be spoiled you should stop reading this and go watch season 1 now, okay? ... All right, spoilers start here:

All right, so last season on TPN, Emma, Ray, Don, Gilda, and all the rest of the kids escaped the orphanage and are now on the run from demons and whatever else is in the outside world as they search for other humans and a place to live in peace and not as delicious demon snacks. What horrors lurk in the outside world? Find out this season! Or maybe just read the manga since every review of this season says it's really bad! But hey, judge for yourself.

2:00 - Black Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Take 75% Naruto and 25% other shonen tropes, throw em in a blender, and presto, you have Black Clover. Main character Naruto Asta is a poor orphan born into a world full of magic, he's poo poo on by everyone in his village, but he swears he'll earn their respect by becoming King of the PiratesHokagethe Wizard-King! Unfortunately he's bad at ninjutsu one of the only people in the land who possesses zero magical ability, in a world where Magic Is Everything™ (take a shot when you hear this phrase)! And his best friend and broody loner Sasuke Yuno seems to be the best at everything, even possessing a special bloodline ability Devil Fruit power Stand 4-leaf-clover grimoire that proves he's the super-best at magic. But Asta gets super-mad and summons his super-cool and super-edgy demon chakra 5-leaf-clover grimoire to prove he's gonna be the greatest magical knight and eventually become Wizard-King and marry Sakura some nun, his love interest who does not love him, all while completely oblivious to Hinata Noelle, the attractive girl from a powerful noble family who does love him!

BC took a little break but it's back to wrap up its run, there's only like... 30-something episodes iirc so don't worry, it's not forever. Actually do worry, it will keep coming back, it's the new Naruto. SPEAKING OF...

2:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Hey, at this point did you know that technically Toonami's airing premiere episodes now? (of the dub at least) Yeah, it never got far enough here or when it was airing on other networks to go this far. Anyway it will never end and someday after the nukes drop and you breathe your last, your mutant children might get to see the end of a filler arc.

3:00 Death Slot - Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 1

this gif is still hilarious all these years later

Attack on Titan was the hottest poo poo in the world in 2013 then apparently a lot of people didn't like the manga or something (I'm really trying to stay spoiler-free) and there was a mass exodus of fans, but however you feel about the property, it's wrapping up this very year... soon! The story's too long to really recap, but the premise is that giant humanoid monsters called Titans are attacking the one city on Earth and it's up to our plucky heroes (and specifically protagonist Eren Jaeger) to use their steampunk Omni-directional movement gear to Spider-Man around the city and fight the Titans.... or at least that's where it all started. To catch up on the last season's big reveal specifically: The world inside the walls is not the end of the world, but it is in fact basically an internment camp. Grisha (Eren's dad) came from the outside world (which is way more technologically advanced than the world we're accustomed to) and injected Eren with a serum as a boy which is why Eren can transform into a Titan. In the outside world, Grisha (and presumably everyone else in the cast I guess?) are Eldians, an ethnicity that is extremely discriminated against by the rulers of the land and oh typing it out I think I see why people quit the show. Anyway we also find out that Grisha had another family in the outside world and another son, Zeke. Zeke became the Beast Titan that was the antagonist throughout seasons 2 & 3, and Grisha's first wife Dina became the Titan who ate Eren's mom in episode 1. Also, it turns out all of "The Nine" titans with special powers die in 13 years after they're injected with Titan juice, so that's a bummer for Eren and he and Mikasa should just gently caress already since the clock's loving ticking. Oh also Armin's the Colossal Titan now. gently caress it, you know what, just read this link here if you're not up to speed on AoT.

Trailer time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZY-lc5DhE

3:30 "drat you're still awake for this?" Slot - Dragon Ball Super

It's loving Dragon Ball, you know it, I know it, let's not pretend I need to write something new about it. Even if you're young enough to have not watched it in its heyday, if you are into anime enough to actually post about it in an anime forum, you have certainly learned enough about DB through cultural osmosis, I'm sure. I suppose if you somehow haven't seen Super specifically, it's worth noting that Super takes place after Z, and GT doesn't count. It also takes the movies Battle of Gods and Resurrection F as canon, but don't worry, the anime devotes arcs to recapping/retelling those stories.

So what can we expect this year?

So due to COVID, everything's kind of up in the air but dub companies seem to have gotten working from home down, and anime studios seem to be more or less back to functioning at full capacity. Budgets at AS/Toonami are still kind of unknown but until life is back to normal, neither will this cartoon anime block, so let's all cross our fingers, eh? However, there are a few known shows coming up.

Uzumaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito, based on the legendary manga of the same name! While no set date has been announced (my money's on somewhere around Halloween), it will be definitelylol that's what I said for last year PROBABLY be this year. And it will air here ~before Japan!~. There's not much in the way of previews you can watch, but you can watch an interview with the director here

Fena: Pirate Princess

Announced just last July, it's a show about... a pirate princess I guess? Crunchyroll put out a press junket about it

quote:

Fena: Pirate Princess is a 12 episode original anime series that tells the tale of a young orphan girl, Fena Houtman. Fena has been raised on an Island where there is no hope of becoming anything more than chattel, to be used and discarded by soldiers of the British Empire. But Fena is more than just another powerless orphan. When her mysterious past comes knocking, Fena will break the chains of her oppressors. Her goal: forge a new identity, free of bondage, and search for a place where she can truly belong and find out the true mysteries behind a keyword 'Eden.' It is the story of a lifetime adventure she and her crew of misfits and unlikely allies will have, in pursuit of her goals!
But aside from that blurb all there is to my knowledge is an incredibly short trailer and an incredibly short interview with the director which I'll post here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQfos3gUNQ

But like, they say it's coming this year so I guess look forward to that.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus

This is the shakiest of all because there's literally no preview for it, no concept art, nothing. It's supposed to center on a female replicant protagonist, that's it! Also they say there will be "familiar" characters from the Blade Runner universe so I guess for the "full" experience you might have to do some homework and watch some movies (and maybe some anime like Blade Runner 2022: Blackout, which you can watch in full here). But yeah, I guess you can watch this interview with the directors and imagine what it will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVBgip996I

This really doesn't feel like it will come out this year, but they said it will so we'll see I guess.

Anything else?

Jason Demarco, the more vocal executive that works on Toonami, says there's three more original properties in development right now that have not been announced
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1287268740321742848

So I guess look forward to those springing up at any random rear end time in the future. Toonami really doesn't announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can almost always bet that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, shows that'll definitely air here eventually include but are not limited to
  • Food Wars - there's a whole mess of Food Wars already out. Apparently they changed production companies after season 2 so a new deal has to be negotiated, so season 3 coming... eventually.
  • The Promised Neverland - Season 2 starts 1/8, dub not announced but like, come on, Promised Neverland was crazy popular, it'll get a dub
  • Dr. Stone - Season 2 starts 1/14
  • My Hero Academia- new season announced, trailer's already out, it's a huge success everywhere, you know that's a done deal.
  • everything else - I mean, Boruto might come back at some point, who knows? Maybe One Piece comes back so they can do a Pirate Power Hour when Fena debuts? I doubt it but anything's possible, right?

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman (or others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Cytube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay, just don't get annoyed when it gets buried under pages upon pages of anime chat.

What's on right now?

The Fox shows like Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and American Dad of course. Also since AS knows where their bread and butter is, Rick & Morty is on basically every night. The Eric Andre Show is on right now and you're a loving clown if you don't watch it.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Ummm... okay, Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia and there's a ton that haven't aired in years that aren't officially canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time. Or hell, maybe it won't come back here, it'll be on HBO Max or something (lookin' at you, Boondocks). They have announced that there will be a Birdgirl show spinning off of Harvey Birdman so that's neat I guess.

Okay, that's all out of the way, enjoy 2021! It basically has to be better! Only 1 more year until SAO is real!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Slight correction about the Fire Force section: the group is known as the White-Clad and the Evangelist is their leader. And in the past I've tried counting the episodes of the series to predict when the next change in the schedule might happen, but I'm not doing that until life become more stable.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 2, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

Slight correction about the Fire Force section: the group is known as the White-Clad and the Evangelist is their leader. And in the past I've tried counting the episodes of the series to predict when the next change in the schedule might happen, but I'm not doing that until life become more stable.

ah, thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season two of Dr Stone starts January 14th so we may hear something soon.

Also just a heads up, the new season of AoT is being done by a different animation studio so don't be surprised if things look different.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That SAO handshake gif is making me irrationally angry

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

repost for new thread
https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/1344697373780541442?s=21
*pounding fists on table* KO-NO-SU-BA!! KO-NO-SU-BA!! KO-NO-SU-BA!! KO-NO-SU-BA!!

also Mob Psycho season 2, Food Wars season 3, and uhh... I dunno, they can probably fill a few weeks with High School of the Dead while they wait for something longer-running to come along. I’ve been wanting to see that poo poo for awhile and I absolutely refuse to demean and debase myself by seeking out my own animes like a common weeb

also this whenever it gets a dub

Hypocrisy posted:

New Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

Also...it's getting an anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGiAcQL-yKw

I am pretty hype to see Zeus v. Adam animated.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I unironically want GGO to get aired as a show to laugh with instead of laugh at. And on the topic of MMOs, Bofuri would be fun to watch a game get broken by accident.

I'm shocked the Naruto pun was picked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Demon Slayer is in an odd position because the movie is going to be required viewing going forward (as it adapts the next story arc) but there's no way that Toonami is going to be able to afford to air it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

muscles like this! posted:

Demon Slayer is in an odd position because the movie is going to be required viewing going forward (as it adapts the next story arc) but there's no way that Toonami is going to be able to afford to air it.
They're probably hoping it gets the Battle of the Gods/Resurrection F treatment.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

and also this

I. M. Gei posted:

One or more of you who have actual Twitter skills, please go tweet KonoSuba at DeMarco a bunch of times. Nobody ever pays attention to my tweets.

Actually please also tweet High School of the Dead at him as a temporary slot-filler show idea. I’m pretty sure Record of Ragnarok is already in the bag since it’s a WB joint.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Absolutely do not tweet High School of the Dead

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Why not? The gifs look amazing and hilarious.

MATRIX BULLET TITTIES

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One funny gif does not a good show make

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Even If a bunch of people wanted to request that, I think that is too raunchy even for Toonami. Food Wars was pushing it.

Plus High School of the Dead is a dead series cause the writer is dead.

They may be able to do, depending on how it's treated when it goes westward.

Still I have no doubt it will be expensive given that it is the best selling movie of all time in Japan. (I bet Shouen Jump is really sad they let the manga end.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 2, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, the manga was basically ending when the anime started and the series rocketed in popularity. It got extended a bit, but at that point there's not much to be done. Anyway, they probably see it as an investment because we can just collect that sweet cash by doing nothing and when Gotoge comes back, he has a built in fanbase to kickstart it.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

Fire Force -

Assassination Classroom - One of our classmates is a dumbass who nearly got most of us killed by working for Lemonhead Mk. II, but it's okay, because he also managed to set off LM2's seasonal allergies.

It has been 1 week since Cowboy Bebop was last on Toonami

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

woo new year new thread! Ground floor!

It's my birthday in 4 weeks so hopefully we will have a good Toonami that day :D

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

Hey idiots I'm back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So it turns out I don't wanna watch Attack on Titan.

Which leaves an extra half hour open for me.

It also turns out that this year is the 45th anniversary of the Super Sentai series. So why not show the last decade's anniversary!

Pirate Sentai Gokaiger, starting either next week or the week after.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argus Zant posted:

PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

SAO
: At this point in SAO you should forget about any of that video game poo poo because it's basically just an extended JoJo fight, along with all the good and bad implications that phrase entails.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole "oh man, this ring is so tough" is so stupid because it pretty much instantly gets blown up.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
They’re gods of destruction, not gods of construction!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Green being extremely racist. "Their hot saiyan blood means they can't help themselves."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Big Green being extremely racist. "Their hot saiyan blood means they can't help themselves."

Is it really racism if they’re literally a different species though?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah I remember now, this episode has a (non-sexual) hosed up scene

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

kirito is so loving cool you guys

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
STANDO POWAH

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

"remember kirito, real life isnt real. only videogames are real"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
GHOST AIDS

vvv: you know it, son

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

was that the fuckin aids girl

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

this is why we don't yell during sneak attacks, folks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TwoPair posted:

GHOST AIDS

vvv: you know it, son

TwoPair

post the rick and morty thing

you know the one

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Imagine I made a face like I just bit into a lemon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I. M. Gei posted:

TwoPair

post the rick and morty thing

you know the one

He's not gonna find it, because I made it unlisted

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

He's not gonna find it, because I made it unlisted

But, fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve5MciXdyEw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even the bad guys want to slobber Kirito's knob.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wings?????

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

it’s okay

aids is with you

always

muscles like this!