Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar Lore Chat: Lumineth Realm-Lords
No, No, His Name Isn't Elfarion

Eltharion the Grim was, in the days of the World-That-Was, a great leader and warrior of immense skill and a guardian of the sacred homeland of the aelves. In the final days of the last world, he led the fight against Nagash's resurrection. He was the champion who tried to defend the aelven peoples, though he ultimately did not succeed. When he faced off in a duel against Arkhan the Black, he was defeated and his body was withered away to dust. However, his legend lived on, and his fellows, Tyrion and Teclis, never forgot his sacrifice, nor his nobility. They kept the story of Eltharion alive even across worlds. His soul was too bright and strong to dissolve, and because it scattered through the Mortal Realms as lambent energies, Nagash never noticed or claimed it.

Teclis did. He spent a full month in a meditative state, spreading out his consciousness to identify every last particle of soul-energy that had once been Eltharion. He sat himself atop Mount Agiluth and reached out mentally, connecting his consciousness to each tiny fargment of spirit. Teclis theorized that a truly powerful soul could not be completely destroyed, even in death. He had a plan to bring back his old friend. While he had traveled the lands, he had met an aelf that had a strange physical resemblance to Eltharion, and he had persuaded the guy to use Iliathan magic to clone himself as an inert shell, but not to give it a soul. Teclis took this body and prepared it for Eltharion, outfitting it with powerful artifacts made by the craftsmen of Syar to mirror the ones the aelf lord hard carried in life. The formeost of these was the Fangsword, a beautiful and heavily enchanted blade, as well as an orante suit of armor with a Yvressian helm. At last, all he needed was to reconstitute Eltharion's soul-stuff into the body.

Teclis did not expect, however, that Arkhan's curse would be so strong or lasting. When the soul-motes were funneled into the clone-body of the reborn Eltharion, the flesh turned to dust in seconds, undone by the same withering curse that had slain him the first time. Teclis wept deeply, for the quest to reconstruct Eltharion had been difficult, painful and, it seemed, entirely a failure. However, even as the body dissolved, the armor rose to its feet, inhabited only by a shining light. It turned towards Teclis and raised the Fangsword in salute. Eltharion...did not live again, quite, but has made himself at home within the armor.

Teclis has tried many times to build new bodies for the Light of Eltharion, as people have taken to calling the lambent being. He has refined Iliathan body-growth spells over decades and centuries. Each time, the constructs crumble to dust when the Light attempts to embody itself within them. Eltharion doesn't seem to mind - he still headso ut to fight alongside the Lumineth armies when he feels called. He cannot speak physically, but his telepathic commands can be sensed by all of his soldiers, and he has lost none of his charisma or strategic mastery. New legends are told now about the skill and nobility of Eltharion, who has slain terrible Chaos warlords with his shining blades. Few can hope to match the perfection of skill that has come with a body made purely of magic and light inside a suit of armor.

Now, let's talk about the Scinari Cathallars. The Cathallars are a relatively recent development within Lumineth society, but they are vitally important for avoiding the mistakes of the past. Cathallars collect spent aetherquartz that has been filled with emotional energies and perform rituals to burn off the emotion in clouds of raw psychological power. Skilled Cathallars can even channel this emotional waste energy into the enemy in battle, driving foes to madness from grief, rage and despair or even fashioning the emotions into killing blasts. Each Cathallar takes their job very seriously and they are very solemn, serious people. They can easily be spotted by their deep robes and relics of emotional sublimation, as well as their slow, precise movements. They avoid acting in haste so that the thrill of adrenaline does not unbalance their carefully controlled minds and set off emotional spirals and impulsive action. They tend to come off as being in a trance most of the time, and even when they speak it is slowly.

Cathallars keep their hands and feet bare at all times to maximize their exposure to the geomantic energies of the landscape. This grounds them in the earth itself, soaking up some of the powerful emotions they deal with safely and allowing them to, in an emergency, channel excess emotion from the aetherquartz they handle through themselves and into the realm itself. Doing this is not healthy for plantlife, though - it wilts and blackens flowers and grasses thanks to the concentrated negative emotions. Grief, guilt, rage and despair burn with a terrible power when they are concentrated to the degree that happens within the sacred censer bowls of the Cathallars, and the light around them itself seems to darken when they deal with especially intense feelings.

These censer bowls are made from aetherquartz and permit the Cathallar to weaponize the emotions inside them. To do so, these mages must psychically guide the emotional residue into the enemy's ranks. The effects are subtle at first, causing watery eyes and confusion, but quickly spiral out of control and bring forth shaking and convulsions. Soon, the enemy will be tearing at their own skin, screaming in horror and rage, clawing out their own eyes or even attacking each other. Undead are not immune - the emotions overcome even the mindless undead, causing them to wail and collapse from the sheer power of it. The Cathallars remain detached and calm while causing this, calling on the vast training they undergo to maintain a balanced mind.

Next time: The Shining Companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

You know, David Weber is living the life he wants to and I just have to be OK with that.

Remember the almost universal rule for any 'collaboration' of BIG NAME & new guy is BIG NAME comes up with an outline and new guy actually writes at least 90% of it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I was curious how you depicted 'body of light in armour guy' on the tabletop.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Lumineth-Realm-lords-The-Light-of-Eltharion-2020

Bit different from the picture above (for obvious reasons with a physical model) but I gotta say, it's not bad.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm not a fan of miniatures but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone modifies that figures to emit small wisps of smoke. which would be awesome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Stuff in some cotton wad with a small LED lamp, and voila. :cheeky:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Some interesting takes.

https://imgur.com/t/paintingwarhammer/TxAVpcx?nc=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/j50o59/my_led_lit_light_of_eltharion/

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

So I was curious how you depicted 'body of light in armour guy' on the tabletop.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Lumineth-Realm-lords-The-Light-of-Eltharion-2020

Bit different from the picture above (for obvious reasons with a physical model) but I gotta say, it's not bad.
The Light of Eltharion is one of the best minis I've ever had the pleasure to build. I still haven't painted it yet because I'm sure whatever scheme I use, just won't do it justice.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If you move fast you may get to be the first one to irresponsibly modify a vaporizer to enhance the looks of a tiny plastic elf shaped negative space!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

wiegieman posted:

You know, David Weber is living the life he wants to and I just have to be OK with that.
unfortunately the missile spreadsheet guy has got the covid

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Stuff in some cotton wad with a small LED lamp, and voila. :cheeky:

You 3D print a figure using translucent plastics with armor separately. Stick an LED in the figure, paint the armor then attach it to the figure. Hook the LED to a power source, BAM!, glowing figure in armor.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

unfortunately the missile spreadsheet guy has got the covid

Oh dear, he's a big guy and I'm pretty sure I'd heard he already had some health issues.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I somehow mixed him up with Vernon Vinge, who created a scifi universe where the galaxy is split into zones/circles of tech availability that get more advanced further out of the core, where a good bit of the book are found documents that are BBS posts on a galactic internet so expensive, entire races can only buy the chance to post once, and an entire world of wolf hiveminds that can change when individual wolves die/join up.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Man, I wanted to like Vinge's writing but I bounce off it like a scifi trampoline. There's just something about it that makes it deeply uninteresting to read despite having some neat ideas to it.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Chapter 2: Say your name

Imagine: Four adventurers climb magical steps in an ancient hall of heroes in the sky. Their torches warm the chipped stone faces of legendary ancestors between columns that stretch into the clouds below. The ranger peers down at the sky as magic steps appear in front of her as she walks. The fighter closes their eyes nervously and tugs on the robe of the wizard for safety

So this is character creation, which will be a short chapter not because it is lacking in content but because it's...basically just creative writing. There's very few "mechanical" choices, and most of the effort in character creation is pure creativity. To help understand the process, let's first look at the character sheet:

Each blank in the Character Worksheet has a number that corresponds to a step in character creation, so let's get started going through things!

The first few sections are pretty self explanatory: Name, pronouns, age, and height are ones you can fill out ahead of time or after everything else, it won't matter too much, and are pretty self explanatory, hence why they don't get a "step" for those blanks.

1: Choose a role
This is the first, and probably biggest, choice you'll make during character creation. There are eight roles in Quest, which are the games equivalent of classes or playbooks. Role determines what abilities you have access to as a character, so it's the thing that has the biggest impact on mechanical ability. I'll give a brief description of each Role here, but the next chapter of Abilities is where we'll actually learn what makes them cool.

The eight roles are:
Fighter A weapon master, martial artist, hero, and leader. While closely mapped to D&D's Fighter, it also has heavy inspiration from the much missed Warlord.
Invoker A battle-mage who channels a higher power to aid allies and oppose their enemies. A combination of the Paladin and Cleric.
Ranger An outlander, survivalist, and knower of the wilds. They have all the things you'd expect of a Ranger, with a dash of Bard.
Naturalist A nature-mage, who commands plants, the elements, and can shapeshift. Your Druid, with everything you'd expect from that.
Doctor A role I've not seen in any other game! Doctors are both healers and killers, magic scientists who can control life, the body, decay, and death. Necromancer Medics.
Spy A crafty master of stealth, subterfuge, and social manipulation. While best equated to the Rogue, the Spy's unique thing is that they have a bit of James Bond: Spy's get access to a wide suite of inherent magical gadgets and special equipment.
Magician Masturs of both mental manipulation and illusory magic, they forgo raw power for subtlety and spectacle. There really isn't an analogue in D&D.
Wizard Your classic big explosions and magic lasers spellcasters, no big surprises but some novel abilities to make them more than generic.

2: Enter the scene
This step is the basic description. There's space for three key details, which the game suggests you use to define your Body, Face, and Vibe. I like this because, let's be honest, nobody can remember lengthy hyper-specific character descriptions that go over a paragraph, and if you don't have some punchy way of describing someone you end up just imagining the most Generic Form of whatever they are. Three short descriptive phrases can give you a good picture without being easily forgotten or unwieldy to remember or say.
Some Examples from the Book:
  • barrel sized belly
  • sharp teeth
  • androgynous vibes
  • worn scars
  • radiant smile
  • fiery temper

3: Show your style
What you wear and how you move. Two signature pieces of clothing, and how you walk or move to further fix a mental image.
  • etched leather armor
  • a quilted jacket
  • oversized spectacles
  • a confident step
  • music in my feet
  • relentless focus

4: Call Home
Where you're from and what your people's deal is. This could be race, city, country, continent, village, ethnicity, etc. A short phrase to describe where you hail from, and why that place is notable or interesting!
  • a frontier town
  • a roadside inn
  • a forgotten nation
  • creating historic works of art
  • enduring a great tragedy
  • once ruling a vast empire

5:Believe in something
Your Belief is an ideal or philosophy that acts as a guiding light to help you know how your character should responds to situations. They're broad conceptual frameworks that define your general approach and values, not specific ideologies.
  • Justice: It is your duty to deliver righteousness and fairness in the world. "I must ensure equitable and just outcomes for everyone."
  • Honor: You believe in a code, and it's your duty to uphold it. "I made a promise, and I must fulfill it at all costs"
  • The Ends: You don't care what it takes, as long as you get where you're going. "Sure, a lot of people got eaten, but it was worth it!"

6: Be vulnerable
Your flaw is something that gets in your way, complicates your life, or generally causes problems. Like your Belief, it's a broad personality trait applicable to many situations and stimuli and is meant to act as a guide to roleplay.
  • Foolish: Everyone thinks it's a silly idea. That's exactly why you do it. "Ooh... what does this big red button do?"
  • Liar: You tell tall tales and love to deceive people. "Yes, it's true. I'm very famous where I'm from."
  • Vain: You care too deeply about how you are perceived by others and change your behavior to suit them. "Magic mirror on the wall, who's the best one of them all?"

7: Dream big
Your Dream is your goal and motivation as an adventurer. It can be a specific task you want to accomplish, or a broad motivation you work to fulfill, regardless it's why you're going out and doing heroic and dangerous things.
  • killing my past
  • publishing a book that's found in every home
  • making every stranger smile
  • producing a timeless work of art
  • recovering a stolen artifact for my people
  • traveling to the stars

8: Gear up
Your starting gear can be any 3 common weapons you like, with ammo for a ranged weapon taking up an item slot. You also can choose one of a selection of useful items to start with, these being handy or semi-magical devices useful for a beginning adventurer.

The Useful Items are:
  • Lockpicks: Self explanatory, used to bypass doors and other simple locks.

• Magic Rope: 50-feet of rope that can coil itself, and stores down to the size of a spool of yarn for easy carrying.

• Magic Flask: It automatically replenishes with a spirit of your choice (choose once) for an effectively infinite supply of booze.

• Magic Candle: It can light and snuff on command, and while it drips wax it never burns down.

• Kiln Gauze: Magical tape used to repair broken weapons, with the can containing one use.

• Friend Flute: A small magic whistle that is only audible to those you consider friends.

• Skycaller Amulets: A pair of amulets that work like a telepathic radio. They have no range limitations, but only work three times a day for 5 minutes at a time.

• Brell's Tent in a Tin: A small tin that magically unpacks into a massive 30 person tent. The tent is totally soundproof, and can be instantly packed again on command.

Next: Third, you'll prepare your character with special abilities and equipment (Part 1)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

No, No, His Name Isn't Elfarion

Elfonse?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Only thing it's missing is Operation Fairy Flag. Also, Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Chapter 8: Bazaar, pt. 10

Degenesis Rebirth
Katharsys
Chapter 8: Bazaar

And we're off to the races – by which I mean we're off to weapon tables. I'll probably outline the most fun/dumb stuff.

BRAWL

>Biting is -3D handling and F/3 (F being your force stat). Yes, exercising your muscles lets you bite harder. :black101:
>Blows and kicks only do Dazed damage (and “Blows” have Smooth Running (2T) - meaning you can attack again at -2D if you get 2 triggers on your attack), so you can't beat anyone dead unless I missed a part about Ego damage going into flesh. Punch them a few times and throw them in a river because, again, you start drowning once you run out of Ego.
>Chain of Blades is distance 3, but as it's -2D handling and Out of Control (3) (which means that if you miss, you have to roll against difficulty 3 to not hit yourself), you're an idiot to use it.
>Knife is the ultimate budget stab implement, having +1D handling with Smooth Running (2T) doing 2+F/3 damage, having two mod slots (I think? Mod slots alternate between using Roman and Arabic numerals), being tech 1, encumbrance 1 and being value 1 (40 resources if you want to make one).
>Battle Axe is not great for battles as it's -2D handling, Impact (2T) :v:
>Splayer! The iconic weapon of the iconic Cult is -1D handling, 2 distance, 4+F/3, Cutting, encumbrance 3, tech 4, 2 slots, 2800 value.
>The super turbo Spitalian Preservalis sword is strictly better – 7+F/2, no handling penalties, and costs 1800.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Welcome back to Degenesis posts. I'll make the quick note that while Splayers are quite expensive and Preservalis swords are better, the lower financial cost of Preservalis swords is offset by their "social gating" (not every Spitalian can get one) and the Splayer having several utility modules to it. For someone dedicated to martial combat the sword will help; for a traveling Spitalian the Splayer, while large, will help more in the field.
The goon is completely correct here, as Preservalis is the sole preserve (:v:) of Preservists, the elite Spitalians who lean into the "combat" part of "combat medic.
>Lostech artifact Khophesh costs the same (so a cool 1000 cheaper than the common Splayer, but is 6+F/2 Special Damage (Aberrants, +2). Then even rarer Amit Sickle is 3200 and... does one more damage. :effort:
>The Iron Club that drooling clanner super mutants wield is -3D, Blunt, 2+F(!), Impact(3T), and whooping 5 Encumbrance.
>The Scourger, ugh, Scourge is -2D, does 3+F/3 damage and Dazed (8) but is fittingly/hilariously Out of Control (3), so I bet a few Scourgers taze themselves.
>At 24000, the Horn is the most expensive melee weapon, probably because you will definitely need ranged weapons to take the +1D 9+F/3 encumbrance 1 6 slot weapon from the nanite-infused quasi-muslim with a ram-skull helmet that’s using it.
>If you're a buff Anabaptist, the Warflail offers a distance 2, -1D, 2+F/2, Blunt, Talisman (+1D), Encumbrance 2 baby for 30 creds, which feels like a more reliable weapon than Bidenhander, the bougie iron with -2D, distance 2, 8+F/3, Impact (2) Special, Encumbrance 2 that costs 1600. Hit more reliably, deal more reliable damage, own assholes in whatever “Massive” armor is, and feel Rebus' closeness with every swing.

THROWN

>You can entangle yourself with a bola
>With 3+F/3 damage, Atlatl is the budget option for buff dudes as it can do more damage than .357.
>Stones are Magazine -, so keep 'em coming.
>Actually, having better range(!) and F/2 vs 2+F/3, they're probably a superior option to slings.
>Shuriken exist while katanas don't, so only some weebs survived the end of the world.

PROJECTILES

>Composite Bow and Repeating Crossbow are the most expensive ones at 2K, but that's because they outrange and out-damage many pistols. :psyduck:
>Basically, their biggest downside over gunpowder weapons is the lack of magazine and, sometimes, handling penalties. OTOH, bows and stuff have MAD as their damage depends on BOD+Force while accuracy keys to AGI+Projectiles.

HANDGUNS
>No .357 pistols, but the Heavy Pistol has 12 round mag (of .50 GL), same range and encumbrance (!) as the others, and Thunder Strike (the dumb "makes stampedes" rule), so it's king poo poo of pistol mountain.
>Stubbed Trailblazer – which, I remind you, is a cut down three-barreled assault rifle that can be used as a pistol – is ridiculous, with 14 damage on Hollow Points (11 on FMJ), magazine of 20, and Smooth Running (2T). Encumbrance 2 tho.
>As with most Cult weapons, the Paler SMG is a straight update of the Automatic Pistol: both have the same range, damage and ammo, but SMG mag is 15 bigger, Smooth Running (2T) vs (3T), and Salvo (3) (use more bullet for more handling and damage, one per). Kinda disappointing – like you already saw with Persevalis vs. Khophesh.
>Signal Pistol is Fire Hazardous, because this is a video game.

Special Rule: Wedged

A good spot to put the rule that you can't shoot while in melee unless you spend an action to free yourself or a friend comes in to engage the foe.

RIFLES

>Only two guns use the pathetic .357 round: hunting rifle and the Neolybian hunting rifle (the difference is that the latter gives +1D handling and can be blinged out). The only upside over Repeating Crossbow is having twice the range at half the price. I don't think you'll be hunting Psychonauts with that one.
>Judge's Musket and Flintlock pistol offer only the price and decrease in Encumbrance as benefits over a simple Crossbow. The big downside is 2-action reload.
>Incidentally, the Scrapper Marvel is basically a Judge Musket with 6 mod slots (other guns only go as high as 3).
>Light MG has worse range and handling than the Scourger Assault rifle, and it's also Jamming, but hey, Salvoes (4) and fed from a belt.
>The Trailblazer wins over the Assault Rifle by having Smooth Running (3T) with FMJ that deals the same damage as 5.56, ridiculous 14 damage (and SR(3T)) with HP, and the option to load buckshot.
>Being the second most expensive weapon in the game at 32K, Flechette rifle is almost worth it: +2D at hunting rifle range, 13 damage, 60(!) round mag, Smooth Running (1T) and Salvoes (5) for Encumbrance 2. If you can convince people to make you flechette rounds instead of trying to stick deformed ones back into plastic casing, it's worth it. Otherwise it's 220 per round.
>If memory serves, Trailblazer is the Hellvetic adaptation of Sagur-72 rifle, the third most expensive weapon in the game. It eats the dumb caseless ammo (180 a pop), and is similar to the Trailblazer, but gives +2D, SR(2T), and shittier damage. Yeah, maybe I'll stick with extorting Hellvetics.
>Incidentally, the Flechette Rifle and Sagur belong to the RG Clan, which is an almost existing secret conspiracy anyways that’s unlikely to just pop in and start asking gun questions, so grab 'em if you find 'em.
>At 56K, the most expensive weapon is the Soul Burner, and for a good reason: +2D, range of sniper/Masterpiece rifle, damage 16, magazine 15, Fatal (straight up Trauma damage), Terrifying (4). Runs on E-Cubed and is the only Tech level VI weapon. Belongs to the Free Spirit faction, mentioned here for the first time.
>Biometric Coding exists specifically to prevent players from just picking this baby up and going to town on some Apocalyptics.

Heavy Weapons

>All of them are -2D handling, boo.
>None of these babies cost over 10K.
>Rocket Launcher does 15 armor piercing AND explosive damage a shot, finally becoming the ultimate RPG-7.
>Clanner Pneumo Hammer (Ammo: Bolt/Coal) is the only weapon aside from .50 GL Heavy Pistol/Masterpiece rifle to have Thunder Strike - this means that you can’t make animals stampede with an LMG.
>Heavy MG finally outranges assault rifles and has absurd Salvoes (10), but it's still Jamming and Encumbrance 6.

Explosives
>All but the explosive bottles have Thunder Strike and Explosive.
>We still don't know what area Explosive covers - explosion rules just state that damage falls off for every meter beyond "ground zero".
>Jehammedan Explosive Bottles don't have range, handling or mag, thus making them the first emplaced Molotov Cocktail in gaming history.

Sonic Weapons

Chronicler Sonic weapons are both mad and MAD: they need INT+Engineering to tune and PSY+Domination to modulate the voice. However, you can roll Faith/Willpower to resist damage from weapons said to pulp solid matter.

Bro, just roll Faith/Willpower, bro!

I guess this was written before the Vocoder was joined by the Cascader
>Cascader takes 4 E-Cubeds as ammo caliber (?) and gives you 8 shots that do 1+T Trauma damage in a 10 distance 45 degree cone.
>Vocoder is cheaper and weaker, doing 1+T Ego damage under similar circumstances.

Agents

The Spitalian warcrime stuff.

>Using agents with Fungicide Rifle adds the Triggers to efficiency: “the general penalty for irritants is raised by the Triggers” - does this mean that Chlorine Gas' 1-Trauma-Per-Turn effect is increased the same way You can't use CG with the rifle, it was mentioned back in the Clan equipment section.
>Cartridge and grenade Triggers are used “to level out the “Deviation” of the projectile. Thus, they are not added to the efficiency. Instead, the agent spreads, which gives it the “Cloud (3 m, 3 rounds)” quality.” This is the dumbest rules-as-physics explanation on this side on TYOOL 2000. :argh:
>Mines don't make an attack roll, and triggers are not added to damage despite there being no way to get Triggers as you don't have an Attack roll. Same cloud as grenades.
>Fire Dust “Causes fire damage like a Spitfire (8)” which is a great gently caress you of a description.
>Chlorine Gas is only tech-level III and costs 120 creds – Never Not Do Warcrimes.

Additional Qualities of Agents

>Narcotics is a useless ability, as it's just a limited version of “Poisoned” in that it only ever does Ego damage and takes effect instantly. Meanwhile Poisoned can get various effects, from Irritants’ Penalties to Chroline Gas' warcrimes.
>Pseudodesporeing just slashes the power level of Aberrants and gives them less mana points for their abilities – temporarily.

Next time: we take these babies for a ride with some specially constructed characters!

JcDent fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Welcome back to Degenesis posts. I'll make the quick note that while Splayers are quite expensive and Preservalis swords are better, the lower financial cost of Preservalis swords is offset by their "social gating" (not every Spitalian can get one) and the Splayer having several utility modules to it. For someone dedicated to martial combat the sword will help; for a traveling Spitalian the Splayer, while large, will help more in the field.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, I didn't feel like writing that out - same with the Anubite blades - but I'm gonna append your stuff in there.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I didn't feel like writing that out - same with the Anubite blades - but I'm gonna append your stuff in there.

I figured you'd cover it in more detail in the dedicated cult equipment section (is that before or after the equipment tables? It's been a while since I read Katharsys). Just was making a note for here.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

I figured you'd cover it in more detail in the dedicated cult equipment section (is that before or after the equipment tables? It's been a while since I read Katharsys). Just was making a note for here.

That was before the tables, many moons ago. It's not up on Inkless yet.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Deadlands is pretty fuckin' bad about Confederate apologia and required a little metaplot event to declare they were finally killing the Confederacy.

Oh, and also the Union equivalent group to the Texas Rangers as a heroic group you can be part of?

Yeah it's the Pinkertons.

Late to the party here, but I kinda love the fact time travel shenanigans (the Morgona Effect) killed the Confederacy, but hate that it's also an excuse to push out Deadlands: Dark Ages.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh yeah, and with explosives, "we don't know what area they cover" - it's directly related to their damage value, their aoe "ends" when it hits 0. Yes, this makes explosive aoes pretty large.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

JcDent posted:

That was before the tables, many moons ago. It's not up on Inkless yet.

That site hasn't been updated in over a year, sadly.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Red Markets: a Game of Economic Horror

Part 11: Character Creation - Let’s Talk Spots

Love that little goat-dog mutant thing… I never said the art was very good.

It’s time to start talking about character creation and get into interesting territory. Something I appreciate about the mechanical parts of this game is that Stokes provides an “at-a-glance” pure rules reference version as well as a fully-expanded version with all the lore in place. As a result, it’s a long section that condenses down well… if you’re not like me and don’t want to talk about all the implications and quirks of the mechanics. I’ll take you through the character creation process, starting with your Spots.

Spots
FATE Aspects are goddamn everywhere and Red Markets is not an exception. Every character has three Spots that form mechanical interfaces with the setting; two of the three are freeform and are Will generation methods, while the third is a list to pick from that has special mechanisms based on which you pick. Weak Spots represent a character flaw (“Cowardly”, “Pedantic”, etc), while Soft Spots represent a “virtue” held in spite of the apocalyptic reality (“Can’t we all be friends?”, “Karma is its own reward”, “Women and children first”, etc). Following your weak spot or fulfilling your obligation to a soft spot earns you a point of Will. During negotiations, these can come up as points the Market can turn against you.

Tough spots, on the other hand, are a predefined list that all have benefits and negatives. You can draw Will from the downside of your tough spot if the Market uses it against you, but you also get a permanent benefit. You’ll pick one and only one, and it’s always active.
  • Lost - you’re one of the masses already here when the Crash happened, and you joined up with an enclave or helped build one. Lost is the generic tough spot, with matching mechanics; you get an extra 2 skill points at character creation (10% more total - a small but meaningful boost considering advancement mechanics), but the flip side is that you’re homo sacer with no legal identity. This flip side… actually is the case for all of the other tough spots, based off the lore section, so it’s kind of a weird one. Mechanically, you need one more retirement milestone if your retirement plan is to escape to the Recession. Expensive. With the massive oversight in rules corrected for, it’s actually not bad, you skip all the other consequences in exchange for a slight up-front boost. RAW it’s a kind of lovely trade.
  • Bait - Congrats, you were dumb enough to come back across the Mississippi to get out of the ghettos. It’s a gamble, but one that might work. Bait take one less milestone to retire on account of still being a citizen (which ALSO interacts weirdly with “border jumpers get their rights stripped”, but I’m pretty sure that one just got forgotten in the gap between the lore section and the mechanics…). On the flip side, your starter Dependents are back home in the Recession; getting money back to them through the chain of currency exchanges doubles the upkeep costs, and remote communication has to go through electronic systems that cost even more. It’s a tradeoff. Getting way ahead of myself, retirement milestones are normally 20 Bounty each, and saving 20 Bounty sounds really good overall. But… dependent upkeep for Bait is 2 per dependent (1-3 per character), a basic laptop gets you 5 “uses” for contacting them on a 3-upkeep refresh… the difference breaks even at 14 jobs, assuming you never use your laptop for anything else. Will most campaigns run 14 sessions? Probably not, so it’s probably a good trade overall. If your group favors long running campaigns, then it’ll catch up on the other side. Losing electronics will really screw you though.
  • Latent - you got stuck with anti-zombie-juice and turned into half-zombie instead, hooray. You can’t be infected! Period. You don’t have any infection risk whatsoever against casualties or Vectors, which makes you one of the only two tough spots that allows melee combat without special protection. Seeing as melee is much cheaper than guns, this is a really big deal economically. Bad news: you’re infectious like a regular zombie and if you die you instantly turn Vector under market control. Plus the whole “extreme persecution up to potential kill-on-sight, and no chance of ever retiring”. You can gain Latent in play, but not as a second spot at creation.
  • Immune - you make anti-zombie-juice in your bones. You’re the other tough spot that can do melee combat without protection, but you don’t want to make that known, because every permanently destroyed hit box in your body is worth five bounty a pop. A full-health character with no injuries has a grand total of 70 hit boxes. Do the math. A single Immune captured and deboned is an immediate retirement plan for an entire group of Takers, based on game math. It’s kind of a big deal. Like Latent, you can gain Immune as a spot in play, but not as a second spot at creation.
  • Believer - remember all those cultists? You can be one of them! You start off with damage to your Humanity track and you have to make self-control checks for violations of faith, but you get a hefty bonus to self-control checks that confirm your faith (and that’s interpreted broadlyi in the examples). The strength of this spot is 100% up to your GM and how broadly they interpret those checks.
  • Steward - congratulations, you’re a Fed. Almost literally, you’re either a DHQS agent or a corporate agent, and the lines are very much blurred. Stewards have some poor editing on very important text in their rules - “Once per game, the character may ask their organization for help. The Market says yes or no.” On its face this is a HORRIBLE upside regardless of the costs; your ability to use your upside is entirely contingent on the GM’s whims and you only get it once ever?! But no, it’s actually poor editing and is clarified outside of rules text, it’s once per job which makes it much more useful. On the flip side you can ONLY take other Takers in the group as Dependents (which is a Really Bad Thing since rules about dependents getting harmed apply to other Takers), AND self control checks trigger all around if your cover is ever blown, AND your sponsor can make demands of you at random. Is this a worthwhile trade? I don’t think so.
  • Hustler - yep, you’re a hustler, speaks for itself. You automatically succeed on every Networking check, even without skills! On the flip side, once per session (same “once per game” bad editing clarified in text) the Market can pull a 1d10 debt on you to pay by the end of the session “or else” as a bad debt comes back to haunt you. Straightforward Spot tailored for a specific character type; the “I Owe A Guy” debt is a little steep imo based on job pay, but not insurmountable.
  • Fenceman - you stand on the wall and shoot or stab the poo poo out of zombies 12 hours a day day for pay. Over and over, for months or years. The very first job the carrion economy formed. Fencemen’s whole job started as clearing out oncoming casualties and vectors, and as casualties have thinned out they’ve shifted partially to policing enclaves. They can basically kill casualties in their sleep, represented by a +1 to any attack against casualties or vectors - a solid bonus for common targets. Flip side, you choose one threat track to start cracked because of the memories of all the kills and the empathy there. It’s a pretty solid alternate “generic spot” to Lost, exchanging the more difficult retirement for a little less wiggle room mentally.
  • Scavenger - Loadsamoney on deck here. Scavengers pick out everything with worth that they come across in the Loss, recycling it back into the enclaves’ economy. You get twice the starting bounty, a significant leg up over others. On the flip side, your ability to prioritize the things that need scavenging is damaged; you’re always at -1 to your Refresh, giving you one less chance to refresh charges on your gear per mission.
  • Roach - Lastly, you get to play those LALAs mentioned before. What happens when an enclave collapses? People die, people break… but not a Roach. You’ve lived through two collapses and you’re still fighting. Roaches can damage any humanity track to boost a skill check, +1 per point lost. If you’re really willing to push that, you can get some huge boosts to work with… with the downside that all three tracks start cracked. That’s a third of your Humanity gone right out the gate across the board, leaving you thirty points to work with for that bonus (assuming you don’t take Humanity damage anywhere else). Excellent spot for storytelling, but wow it’s self-destructive. Suitable for shorter-run games or for someone who really wants to challenge themselves.

That ran much longer than expected, so I’ll segment out the rest of character creation into its own thing and not dump a gigantic wall all at once. Overall: some very good choices, some visible poor writing/editing/balance, and aspects (whatever your feelings on them may be).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hustler sounds like it's pigeon-holed on paper but really isn't. The drawback is a pain in the rear end but it's well worth the upside of automatically succeeding selling poo poo you've found on the road or getting something when you absolutely need it. In a game about economics it really pays to have someone on your side who can just make money change hands effortlessly. It also allows for some pretty solid powergaming if you're going to be the party's face; that's one less social skill to put a point in, you can have 0 in Network and automatically succeed, so you can pump up the other social abilities if you're going to be a talker. Out of all of them I like the Scavenger the least because -1 Refresh hurts.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
It's "pigeon-holed" in the sense that the Hustler is so useful it's almost mandatory that every group have one. Fortunately it's actually fun to play, so it's not just a pure bullshit class tax.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why is anti-zombie-juice worth so much moolah if all it does is turn you into a universally-despised underclass in constant searing pain?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Lone Badger posted:

Why is anti-zombie-juice worth so much moolah if all it does is turn you into a universally-despised underclass in constant searing pain?
Beats being dead

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does it?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Nominally.

Hostile V posted:

Hustler sounds like it's pigeon-holed on paper but really isn't. The drawback is a pain in the rear end but it's well worth the upside of automatically succeeding selling poo poo you've found on the road or getting something when you absolutely need it. In a game about economics it really pays to have someone on your side who can just make money change hands effortlessly. It also allows for some pretty solid powergaming if you're going to be the party's face; that's one less social skill to put a point in, you can have 0 in Network and automatically succeed, so you can pump up the other social abilities if you're going to be a talker. Out of all of them I like the Scavenger the least because -1 Refresh hurts.
Good assessment overall. They're definitely useful-to-essential, and yes, Scavenger is way up there on the "gently caress that, I ain't taking it" tree. (IMO, Roach is up there too, but as mentioned it works for very specific character concepts and for short-run games; it just doesn't have the longevity for the kinds of games I enjoy.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Roach can get real fun if you make them the face of the group and give them lots of Dependents too.

Also Believer's a neat idea but considering that most of the various faiths aren't really something you would want to deal with at a table, more often than not you're gonna have a more flexible Fenceman in the form of a Black Math cultist that will have to deal with inflexibility at the worst times.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It might be worth it for people running Latent death camps as well as rich people who are likely to dodge all the social issues of Latentdom.

By the way, did I miss a spot in the lore, but wouldn't an intact Immune be worth more for just constantly milking them for the juice, or is it destructive harvesting all the way down? Or is just the Taker approach/a HARD CHOICE option for a Taker group that's a few bounties short of retirement, but doesn't want to hand over a friend for imprisonment?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

It might be worth it for people running Latent death camps as well as rich people who are likely to dodge all the social issues of Latentdom.

By the way, did I miss a spot in the lore, but wouldn't an intact Immune be worth more for just constantly milking them for the juice, or is it destructive harvesting all the way down? Or is just the Taker approach/a HARD CHOICE option for a Taker group that's a few bounties short of retirement, but doesn't want to hand over a friend for imprisonment?

Mechanically, permanently destroyed boxes are the only way for PC Immune to get turned into bounty. It's intended as HARD CHOICE and as a serious risk for the PC to balance in narrative because of the value on their head (or more accurately, their limbs).

In lore, I believe I mentioned the extended section on medical conscription. All of the Immune in the Recession that get found are put in medical detention for the rest of their lives and tapped for marrow at "healthy" (but painful) intervals. This is actually feasible there on account of the Recession having, you know, an organized medical system and functioning hospitals. Immune and their families are not compensated because it's "a public service", but people who tip off the state to Immune concealing their status do get paid.

The Recession lacks the infrastructure for lifelong medical conscription, so it tends more towards the "debone like cattle" approach outside of the few biotechnology and medical corporations still working in the Loss (StopLoss almost certainly has the resources, but they may also be a cover for Scrape who will 100% scrape your bones and dump you).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lone Badger posted:

I obtain anti-zombie juice from my gig economy workers, and I then lord it over grizzled dads with adorable but infected moppets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

I obtain anti-zombie juice from my gig economy workers, and I then lord it over grizzled dads with adorable but infected moppets.

I think it's a bad idea to gently caress with Motocross Champion and Dad of the Year Chuck Greene.

The man has two chainsaws on a paddle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Unfortunately zombiestop is a single-dose, not a subscription program.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

Got me thinking about a setting modification where regular injections completely stave off infection, missed doses let latency creep in and take hold. Could be neat, would require economic rebalancing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Got me thinking about a setting modification where regular injections completely stave off infection, missed doses let latency creep in and take hold. Could be neat, would require economic rebalancing.

This is Dead Rising 2. Which to be fair is really good zombie satire in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lone Badger posted:

That's where my combination zombie storage and discount kindergarten plan comes into play.