Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My Mando S2 review:

That Jurassic girl directed a pretty good episode; Robert Rodriguez's episode is very sloppy WTF. Dark Troops was lame.

I was very disappointed that behind the helmet Mando was the sexy Red Vipor, Mando should have been a completely hairless Max Lord.

I enjoyed the frog's eggs episode the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Galewolf posted:

Piracy does not necessarily mean "get everything intact", they could be salvaging the remaining equipment or think that it is too dangerous to ride the transports and instead force the base for protection money.

Edit: If we are to theorycraft until it fits our narrative, that is.

We see the wreckage of their previous attacks. The transports are burned, not stripped. They are simply destroying Imperial supplies. And that shakedown thing is something you just made up. As you say, in order to make them pirates you have to "theorycraft" things which are not shown or even hinted at in the episode

Moola posted:

from my point of view it is the pirate victims who are evil

In this case the "pirate" "victims" are Imperial arms convoys and the Imperial stormtroopers protecting them, so yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stephenthinkpad posted:

My Mando S2 review:

That Jurassic girl directed a pretty good episode; Robert Rodriguez's episode is very sloppy WTF. Dark Troops was lame.

I was very disappointed that behind the helmet Mando was the sexy Red Vipor, Mando should have been a completely hairless Max Lord.

I enjoyed the frog's eggs episode the most.

I also thought the frog lady hot spring episode was the strongest of the season

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

My Mando S2 review:

Robert Rodriguez's episode is very sloppy WTF

agreed and it makes more sense after reading this: https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-season-2-robert-rodriguez-director-replacement/

quote:

Robert Rodriguez directed The Mandalorian season 2, episode 6 as a last-minute replacement after the unnamed original director left the show.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

SHUT THE HELL UP!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've never watched a Bill burr thing in my life except the mando and he was good in that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnldclsF4c

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
White people tricking themselves into thinking Bill Burr is racist is funny af.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I've never watched a Bill burr thing in my life except the mando and he was good in that

:same:

I don't listen to much standup.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Hmm, looks like Plinkett had some work done on the house. Needs to do something about those weeds though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Finished up Fargo season 4, and uh... yeah... that was random.

*Trips, falls down on gun and dies* :ohno:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

His rant in philly was pretty good. Crowd started booing him right off the bat and he just went on a tirade which won them over eventually.

I was listening to some podcast where he said that legit good comedians got booed off the stage and someone walked off like a minute into their set.

I just wanna make clear that by his rant being “good” I mean dude just went off non stop. Not the actual content of his rant, which didn’t age well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

White people tricking themselves into thinking Bill Burr is racist is funny af.

Yeah from an extremely surface level view I kind of get it because of the masshole way he presents but almost always when he has a bit about something racist/sexist it is about examining why it’s stupid and dumb. Sometimes the turn might take a bit of setup that people don’t make it through and leave with assumptions though.

I will never not post his bit from years ago, relatively unknown, going up in front of Shaq’s Comedy Jam, doing a bit about the n-word to a room full of black people, and loving killing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8b81UM74Ow

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

When he took off the helmet this season my initial reaction was "Pedro Pascal's getting a bit puffy".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Gripweed posted:

We see the wreckage of their previous attacks. The transports are burned, not stripped. They are simply destroying Imperial supplies. And that shakedown thing is something you just made up. As you say, in order to make them pirates you have to "theorycraft" things which are not shown or even hinted at in the episode

I was referring to your galaxy brain projection about the simple fact that they are pirates.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The whole point of the Bill Burr episode is how morality is relative to everyday people and that large institutions like the Empire and Republic are interchangeable, but even then, the Empire is worse because you have to remind yourself theyre still space nazis. The whole episode was building up this uncomfortable idea that the Republic and Empire are moral equivalents, with scrappy imperials fighting crazy pirate attacks and living an underdog existence in an old base where they celebrate any small win they can get. You've got heroic tie fighter rescues and normal people just happy to see at least one truck survived and a sense of camaraderie rarely shown for the Empire. You start thinking hey, maybe these guys aren't so bad.

Then the show introduces the officer character and you snap out of it very fast because you realize that no, these people are still genocidal warmongers and they aren't a moral equivalent to the New Republic. Being human doesn't automatically absolve you for the horrendous things you do in the name of a cause.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole point of the Bill Burr episode is how morality is relative to everyday people and that large institutions like the Empire and Republic are interchangeable, but even then, the Empire is worse because you have to remind yourself theyre still space nazis. The whole episode was building up this uncomfortable idea that the Republic and Empire are moral equivalents, with scrappy imperials fighting crazy pirate attacks and living an underdog existence in an old base where they celebrate any small win they can get. You've got heroic tie fighter rescues and normal people just happy to see at least one truck survived and a sense of camaraderie rarely shown for the Empire. You start thinking hey, maybe these guys aren't so bad.

Then the show introduces the officer character and you snap out of it very fast because you realize that no, these people are still genocidal warmongers and they aren't a moral equivalent to the New Republic. Being human doesn't automatically absolve you for the horrendous things you do in the name of a cause.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Galewolf posted:

I was referring to your galaxy brain projection about the simple fact that they are pirates.

What do you mean by "galaxy brain projection"? I simply pointed that those guys didn't do any piracy. Maybe they are pirates. But if so, then they also fight the Empire in their free time. As we saw in the episode.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or maybe they know people just like watching speeder platforms blow up and people do fighting on the top of moving vehicles!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There is no ethical consumption of stars wars.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

"In this video essay I'll be explaining that the pirates were destroying the Imperial convoys because they want them off the planet entirely so they can continue and expand their pirate activities with impunity. If you look at it this way, the Imperial officer that was extrajudicially murdered in cold blood was actually right."

Lister fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2021

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

gripweed you're a nice guy and good poster, we're all friends here, and yes I know what thread this is, but can we all for the love of god stop fighting about the dumb star wars show.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

gripweed you're a nice guy and good poster, we're all friends here, and yes I know what thread this is, but can we all for the love of god stop fighting about the dumb star wars show.

*checks thread title* you lost, friend?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I don't have anything else to fill my void of a life so I'm open to alternatives if you have suggestions.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
grogu shot first

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what;s gorogu?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
If only someone had opinions on or even watched discovery, then they could be shat on

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

RickRogers posted:

If only someone had opinions on or even watched discovery, then they could be shat on

I watched one episode and didn't like it, the end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think that was the intention. I think the point of the episode was to show how Bill Burr could've fought for the Empire and still be a good guy now. The cheering stormtroopers aren't "normal people", the townsfolk are normal people, and you see them look at them Empire with undisguised distaste. None of the Imperial forces even have faces, other than the moustache twirling officer. None of them even have distinct personalities. They're still the same faceless mooks whose lives have no value that they've been the entire series. At no point do the heroes have to shoot the specific stormtrooper who saved them from the "pirates", or anything like that.

You get a bit of Burr's backstory, where it's made clear that he was Imperial because that's the side he was born on. But then he saw that they were bad and left. It's a very simple moral setup. Burr was one of the faceless bad guys, at some point in the past off screen, but then he decided to stop being that and became an individual character.

I know you've watched Gundam, you know what that "there's decent people on both sides" looks like. The Bill Burr episode was no Time, Be Still!.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Lister posted:

I don't have anything else to fill my void of a life so I'm open to alternatives if you have suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKMEDIEcBQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

piratepilates posted:

I am more than willing to stop arguing as soon as people stop disagreeing with me.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

piratepilates posted:

I watched one episode and didn't like it, the end.

Thus ended star strek

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I haven't watched mando but I agree with Gripweed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:gas:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
How can you call them space pirates when there was not one space parrot or space eyepatch or one space "arr Jim lad" amongst them :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How can you call them space pirates when there was not one space parrot or space eyepatch or one space "arr Jim lad" amongst them :colbert:

Also they weren't in space. They were like 6 feet off the ground.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

I don't think that was the intention. I think the point of the episode was to show how Bill Burr could've fought for the Empire and still be a good guy now. The cheering stormtroopers aren't "normal people", the townsfolk are normal people, and you see them look at them Empire with undisguised distaste. None of the Imperial forces even have faces, other than the moustache twirling officer. None of them even have distinct personalities. They're still the same faceless mooks whose lives have no value that they've been the entire series. At no point do the heroes have to shoot the specific stormtrooper who saved them from the "pirates", or anything like that.

You get a bit of Burr's backstory, where it's made clear that he was Imperial because that's the side he was born on. But then he saw that they were bad and left. It's a very simple moral setup. Burr was one of the faceless bad guys, at some point in the past off screen, but then he decided to stop being that and became an individual character.

I know you've watched Gundam, you know what that "there's decent people on both sides" looks like. The Bill Burr episode was no Time, Be Still!.

Burr didn't just see how bad they were he was directly affected by it when is COs burned a city down with his division still in it. It's not Time, Be Still! with the decent zeon troopers, that's not what I was getting at. What I was trying to point out is that the Empire is still made of people but they are awful people. Burr was trying to tell Mando everyone is the same to the little guy, same poo poo different leader, but he was trying to tell himself that more because its clear he had issues with what the Empire made him do and what they did to him. He wanted to tell himself that he wasn't a bad person for being an Imp, but in the end he couldn't keep up the lie.

That's what the episode was going for, building up a lie that the Empire and Republic are the same to the little people. The people at the base are still people but they're working for the Empire long after anyone who might have been "decent" left or died. You dragged Gundam into this, the remnants in Mando are basically the Delaz Fleet fanatics. Theyre certainly capable of being human but they're still loving nazis. The episode is a refutation of moral equivalency with nazis but it does toy with the idea of how someone can see fascists as "normal" by building up this bizarre reverse A New Hope celebration scene before you cut back to reality and realize "oh poo poo we're in a base of Stormtroopers, open fire!"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Their skiffs didn't had sails, therefore cannot be pirates.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 2, 2021

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

bet they didnt even try to harvest infinite power from a floating brain sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Burr didn't just see how bad they were he was directly affected by it when is COs burned a city down with his division still in it. It's not Time, Be Still! with the decent zeon troopers, that's not what I was getting at. What I was trying to point out is that the Empire is still made of people but they are awful people. Burr was trying to tell Mando everyone is the same to the little guy, same poo poo different leader, but he was trying to tell himself that more because its clear he had issues with what the Empire made him do and what they did to him. He wanted to tell himself that he wasn't a bad person for being an Imp, but in the end he couldn't keep up the lie.

That's what the episode was going for, building up a lie that the Empire and Republic are the same to the little people. The people at the base are still people but they're working for the Empire long after anyone who might have been "decent" left or died. You dragged Gundam into this, the remnants in Mando are basically the Delaz Fleet fanatics. Theyre certainly capable of being human but they're still loving nazis. The episode is a refutation of moral equivalency with nazis but it does toy with the idea of how someone can see fascists as "normal" by building up this bizarre reverse A New Hope celebration scene before you cut back to reality and realize "oh poo poo we're in a base of Stormtroopers, open fire!"

I don't think we disagree then, Except for the idea that the Imperial remnants are comparable to the Delaz fleet. I don't think the average Stormtrooper gets enough characterization to actually have motivations. Which is intentional, it's a big part of Gundam that the pilots our protagonists kill are people with their own stories and dreams, but it's kinda important to Star Wars that you don't see the Stormtroopers as people. The one time in the show that I can recall Stormtroopers getting humanized was the two speeder bike guys, and they kept punching Grogu.

Galewolf posted:

Their skiffs didn't had sails, therefore cannot be pirates.

Can you knock off the galaxybrain projection, please?