Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Inferior Third Season posted:

The same thing happened to me when I used to live near Denver. A city directly east of a range of mountains visible from anywhere that are aligned almost perfectly north-south.

Yeah I feel this. In New York where there's bodies of water in every direction but even more so when I lived in Kingston, Ontario. There's literally a giant ocean sized lake to the south of Kingston and a river running east from it. I cannot fathom how some people just... don't know where Lake fuckin Ontario is relative to where they are, even if they can't tell from the sun.

Also the sun isn't hard to figure out. It isn't esoteric nerd poo poo, it's always east in the morning, west in the evening, southwards because we're in the northern hemisphere :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the first time in a while, and a plot point revolves around Ted forgetting to wind his watch. I wonder how immediately understandable that is to kids today.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some time ago I went on holiday in Ireland and we actually wanted to rent a car and take the country roads. Entirely worth it, even though the narrow bits (= all of most roads) were a bit nerve wracking at first, and also even though more than one time we went "ooh, let's turn left here, looks interesting" and ended up circling a farm on a dirt path or carefully crawling along some neighborhood's access road where someone had a cow on their tiny lot.

It's got to be a thing people do, too, we picked up a guidebook specifically listing scenic country routes.

e: at one point we needed gas and realized at the station we didn't know if the pumps would work different or if you had to pay in advance or what and had to approach a very friendly traveller with an "excuse me we are tourists" routine :v:

Oh yeah, I love just roaming around a strange place/country just to see what I can find. South-East of Ireland is really good for this because there are still a good few Norman tower houses just standing around in fields with no touristy development, so you feel like an explorer when you find one. I just wouldn't recommend anyone visiting Ireland who in a hurrychoosing to take most direct route on small roads versus a less direct one on major roads.

sample of random Norman mini-castle in a field:

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Threecastles,%20Wicklow.html

There's actually one of these in my hometown that I've never gotten to see close-up because it's so fenced off due to structural instability.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

HopperUK posted:

I was watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the first time in a while, and a plot point revolves around Ted forgetting to wind his watch. I wonder how immediately understandable that is to kids today.

I was 9 when that movie came out and didn't know wtf that meant, watches had batteries. I may have only learned about winding watches from that movie. So what I'm saying is it was already dated for children.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mechanical watches were on the decline all through the seventies. Switzerland went from exporting forty million watches in 1973 to three million in 1983.

Ted’s watch was an anachronism already in 1989.

eta:

quote:

In 1978, Commodore introduced a collection of 15 LCD watches priced from $7.95 to $19.95. They were sold in blister packs in department stores, grocery stores, drugstores, and electronics shops.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 2, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What's a watch?

I kid, of course. But the number of people who wear watches is declining. Unless you're in an area where you can't use a cellphone for some reason, most people aren't going to have a watch.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

What's a watch?

I kid, of course. But the number of people who wear watches is declining. Unless you're in an area where you can't use a cellphone for some reason, most people aren't going to have a watch.

I still see people asking strangers for the time by tapping their wrist meaningfully (and have occasionally done this myself). It works more often than not.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I was watching The Degrassi-The Next Class spinoff, and noticed that the show immediately goes into exploring the reunion plot with the adults, and then realized that the adults must be part of the cast from the previous show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

I still see people asking strangers for the time by tapping their wrist meaningfully (and have occasionally done this myself). It works more often than not.

I wonder if that's going to become a relic gesture though, like how people will still mime an old-fashioned telephone handset.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

This doesn't actually require people to know what a wristwatch is, they just need to know the gesture. Like kids know that raised night fingers mean "gently caress" without actually knowing it's the finger you would put in a vagina. A more thread relevant, but less similar, example is the phrase "I got the wrong number", which refers to the office operator making the physical connection of phone lines wrong.

Incidentally, I've started wearing a watch last year, and it's kind of common in situations where checking your phone is not cool, like in meetings and especially if you're a teacher.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’ve worn watches since i was a kid, leaving the house without one feels like going out without pants at this point. it’s very helpful for situations when you can’t look at your phone, and when you’re trying to curb a phone addiction

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I feel this. In New York where there's bodies of water in every direction but even more so when I lived in Kingston, Ontario. There's literally a giant ocean sized lake to the south of Kingston and a river running east from it. I cannot fathom how some people just... don't know where Lake fuckin Ontario is relative to where they are, even if they can't tell from the sun.

Also the sun isn't hard to figure out. It isn't esoteric nerd poo poo, it's always east in the morning, west in the evening, southwards because we're in the northern hemisphere :colbert:

Fun fact: Sometimes, the sun is northwards of you, everywhere* on Earth. Let's look at the northern summer solstice. At the equator, it's always to the north, from rise to noon to set. Going north to the tropic of cancer, the sunrise and set have migrated slightly north, but the noon sun has now gone south to straight up. As you keep going north, the rise and set keep going north and the noon keeps going south. Just shy of the arctic circle, the rise and set are nearly straight north. Inside the arctic circle, the midnight sun reaches its lowest point in the sky due north.

But for most people in the northern middle latitudes, rise east set west sun is to the south is all you need to know.

*I'm ignoring the north pole.

This site lets you play around and see where the sun would be anywhere on any date 1600-2600 AD on earth.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@3422359?month=7&year=2021

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 2, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I wonder if that's going to become a relic gesture though, like how people will still mime an old-fashioned telephone handset.

Smartwatches are a thing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Almost every major city has SOME method of naming its streets that clues you into the cardinal directions if you know how it works.

For example, in my city only longitudinal streets are numbered, for example, NE 23rd, except for a street that's effectively "zero" street. North of zero street, all the numbered streets are "north x" and south of zero street, they're all "south x".

So right there you have all the clues you need at any time to know what direction you're going. If you're coming up to NE 10th and the next intersection is NE 11th, you know you're going north. If you know you're going north, then you know the east is always on your right, etc.

Almost every big city has some kind of system like this. Don't @ me every exception. Boston... ugh.

I used to be a clerk at 7-Eleven pre-smartphones and I loving hated giving directions to people who couldn't do cardinal directions. It doesn't require you to know where the sun is to know what direction you're going. If you can remember how the directions relate to each other, and you know which direction you started out going in, you should just... know. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 2, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Imagined posted:

Almost every major city has SOME method of naming its streets that clues you into the cardinal directions if you know how it works.

Almost every American city maybe! You'd have a bad time navigating London that way. :) Though really I mean every new city, cause you can do a trick like that in Milton Keynes.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Imagined posted:

I used to be a clerk at 7-Eleven pre-smartphones and I loving hated giving directions to people who couldn't do cardinal directions. It doesn't require you to know where the sun is to know what direction you're going. If you can remember how the directions relate to each other, and you know which direction you started out going in, you should just... know. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Depending on person, it's between a learning disability and just not being good at it. In the same way you wouldn't get that upset at someone bad at math for not being able to do 12x13 in their head, or with dyslexia for reading bog as dog, someone can know that when facing north east is to the left and still not be able to retain and use cardinal directions, or in the moment swap left and right. Something everyone needs to remind themselves frequently is other people's minds work differently.

VV The funny thing is that occurred because I started by putting "facing east" then swapped them because who the gently caress would start with "facing east", instead of the much less embarrassing "proves my point"

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Unreal_One posted:

someone can know that when facing north east is to the left

Um, it's to the right?

Edit: I'm not mad at you though.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If I'm at the point of asking directions at a gas station, you can be assured I no longer know where north is

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Scudworth posted:

If I'm at the point of asking directions at a gas station, you can be assured I no longer know where north is

Except the guy you're asking just pointed down the street and said "Go west on 10th, which is THAT WAY", so now you know. And then he watched you go the exact opposite way as you turned out of the parking lot. :negative:

HopperUK posted:

Almost every American city maybe! You'd have a bad time navigating London that way. :) Though really I mean every new city, cause you can do a trick like that in Milton Keynes.

Fair enough. Almost every city which mostly developed since the invention of the car, at least.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 3, 2021

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I used to get a rough sense of direction looking at television aerials in London. They broadly pointed towards crystal palace transmitting tower. So if you knew where abouts you were, you could sort of work a direction out relative to crystal palace.

Now I use my phone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the northern hemisphere, satellite dishes point vaguely southward.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When my kid mime's taking a picture, its like he's using a smartphone, not a camera.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Um, it's to the right?
in primary school they taught us a mnemonic that went something like "if N is up W-E know the way" and you better believe I still double-check myself with that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Clockwise NESW. Cause Never Eat Soggy Weetabix. Land of the rising sun = east. That's how I know it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

When my kid mime's taking a picture, its like he's using a smartphone, not a camera.

Weirdly, that started before smartphones, after point and shoot cameras started having LCD's.

We've had a solid 2 decades of everyone holding their cameras out at arms' length like dumbasses.

syntaxfunction posted:

Clockwise NESW. Cause Never Eat Soggy Weetabix. Land of the rising sun = east. That's how I know it.

Never Eat Soggy Worms. I have to use that more often than I am going to admit.

I had to look up what Weetabix was. Honestly, worms look more appetizing.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

Never Eat Soggy Worms. I have to use that more often than I am going to admit.

I had to look up what Weetabix was. Honestly, worms look more appetizing.

We always learned Never Eat Soggy Waffles. I think I like worms better though!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I learned it as Never Eat Shredded Wheat because my school was lame.

Also my teacher once snapped and yelled “hummers mother will cease!” during a test once, which was totally lost on me in the 90’s and probably makes less sense to people now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

lignicolos posted:

We always learned Never Eat Soggy Waffles. I think I like worms better though!

It was 'never eat sour watermelons' when I was in Scouts.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also my teacher once snapped and yelled “hummers mother will cease!” during a test once, which was totally lost on me in the 90’s and probably makes less sense to people now.

I have no idea what that is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I tried googling it but no dice

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It was probably just an outburst of a lunatic then. That year was... weird.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah that sounds like aphasia levels of ???? No idea what that could mean.

And I never got taught a mnemonic for the directions. I just was expected to learn them. But I grew up in the woods near a big north-south river so it might be a local thing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The other day a co-worker at my restaurant asked what the special of the week was. A dude (who's about 40) said "2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun". I laughed; the guy asking looked confused as hell, and suddenly a bunch of us felt old.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah that sounds like aphasia levels of ???? No idea what that could mean.

And I never got taught a mnemonic for the directions. I just was expected to learn them. But I grew up in the woods near a big north-south river so it might be a local thing.

Me either, but we grew up sailing (not rich assholes btw) and it's amazing how much weather forecast/directional knowledge stays with you. Sailors are HARDCORE about directions and suchlike. Check out a compass with sailing subdivisions, we got poo poo like north west by west, east northeast and so on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I got taught to use a compass so early that I don’t remember it.

And I totally get why you’d want that level of precision on a boat and I can easily understand the terminology, but for hiking the majority of the time you can just say “this way” unless you’re communally coming up with a course. Because you’re not expecting someone to gently caress with the sails or whatever and you’re just walking.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

Me either, but we grew up sailing (not rich assholes btw) and it's amazing how much weather forecast/directional knowledge stays with you. Sailors are HARDCORE about directions and suchlike. Check out a compass with sailing subdivisions, we got poo poo like north west by west, east northeast and so on.

My wife grew up sailing, and she insists on knowing and using cardinal directions all the time. It's really dumb, because the sensible thing is to use towards/away from city center and/or a relevant neighborhood of the city.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh yeah, its not always the best choice but it's something that for some reason really sticks with you. I still listen to the sea area forecast because it's so simple and straightforward

( and because I love love love the lists and groupings of the sea areas) 'thames, dover wight, portland, plymouth, wind south, backing southeast force 5, dropping to force 3 or 4, clear, visibility more than 30 miles. Fair. Becoming good.

It's incredibly nostalgic for me :3:

Edit: winds dont back from south to southeast?!?! I am scarlet for me.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 3, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you think about a city is just a chunky ocean with poor visibility.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I currently live at the other end of that lake, and work in various areas around that end. Even after many years, i still get confused when I go around to the other side, and all of a sudden the lake is to the north, not the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BonHair posted:

My wife grew up sailing, and she insists on knowing and using cardinal directions all the time. It's really dumb, because the sensible thing is to use towards/away from city center and/or a relevant neighborhood of the city.

I am lucky to live on a peninsula, because when in doubt I ask myself, "Toward the bay or toward the ocean?"