Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I realize how that sounds after typing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
it's pretty dope that kojima finally found a way to use his strange piss fixation for gameplay and not just added flavour in a cutscene or two

I can only hope this escalates further in his future games, though the inclusion of poo grenades has me a little worried

e:

Romes128 posted:

My favorite kojima pee mechanic is the wolf dogs in mgs 1 where they won’t attack you later in the game if you get peed on earlier in the game.

okay I had no idea that was a thing

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dreamin of semen posted:

I can only hope this escalates further in his future games, though the inclusion of poo grenades has me a little worried

May I introduce Mr. Johnny Sasaki?

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Stare-Out posted:

May I introduce Mr. Johnny Sasaki?

:hmmyes: very good point

I would 100% pay for a Johnny DLC, roaming America to build a chiral dunny network

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
For the longest time I played this game without actively engaging in combat with BT's. The game made such a point about Sam not being able to see BTs in that first cutscene with Fragile that I took it to heart and all I did was use the Odradek's direction to weave through BT areas without killing or triggering any. It wasn't until I was halfway through the second map that I realized that aiming a hematic grenade would reveal BT locations to me and that's when I actually started killing them.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

For the longest time I played this game without actively engaging in combat with BT's. The game made such a point about Sam not being able to see BTs in that first cutscene with Fragile that I took it to heart and all I did was use the Odradek's direction to weave through BT areas without killing or triggering any. It wasn't until I was halfway through the second map that I realized that aiming a hematic grenade would reveal BT locations to me and that's when I actually started killing them.

Tap the ping button and you can see bt’s if they’re close.

Then use the bola gun on them and do the Harlem shuffle right past their dumb asses.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
standing still for a second also makes them visible for a little while

it took way too long to realize that, and I only found out accidentally thanks to a massive sneezing fit, also like half way through the second map :v:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really like the steady progression from being scared as hell IRL and being under constant mortal danger during the first BT encounters to being able to go toe-to-toe with them in the endgame, without losing the sense that they are an otherworldly danger which Should Not Be and any mistakes spell certain doom. Few games manage to create an adversary which does not lost its feeling of dangerousness during.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Preparation makes a huge difference. (Chapter 3 spoilers)

I took on the junk dealer's quest to retrieve junk from the ruined outpost and failed to realise that all my hematic grenades had been ruined in my first run to the timefall farm. Even with knowing more about how BTs acted not having any way to fight back and just having to stealth past them all was hugely stressful.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

boring game: your character can piss
boring zany game: your character can piss anywhere
boring zany AAA game: your character can piss anywhere and the piss has modeled physics

kojima: your character's physics-modeled piss action has a specific use in combat

Kojima: what if we put the character's piss into a grenade?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Kojima: what if we put the character's piss into a grenade?

that's been a thing since at least the Jarate in TF2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FAUXTON posted:

that's been a thing since at least the Jarate in TF2

BT, fleeing: Oh, no!! I have been shown who is the boss!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 4, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imagine being a BT and you get a poo poo/piss grenade thrown at you and you just turn around to look at Sam and yell, "WHAT THE gently caress BRO?"

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Sadly you can't make Norman pull out his reedus once you get caught and are actually in a boss fight, but in stealth gameplay you can in fact whip it out and arc the piss at nearby grabbers to make them flee.

Sure you can, unless they patched it out or something. You can even hit them with it, like I did in a one in a million chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az-AShy6MsE

Oddly, this is the part youtube picked for the thumbnail, I guess they designed the panther bosses to look like whales from a certain perspective.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My god.

The piss parry.

This game's real good.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there any downside to having a bladder full of piss? I was hiking through the mountains when I realized I hadn't gone in a while and it was at 1000ml.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haven’t tested it but when you take a drink it makes some pee. Maybe it causes you not to be able to drink?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

As much as I know PC gaming allows for amazing FPS numbers, customization, mods, and other great stuff, I still stick with consoles, just because I want to put in the game and have it work.

I noticed some folks have holograms that wave or dance near structures they build, and I thought that was pretty cool. Then, I noticed one of the Watcher machines from Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I had a brief moment where I got confused as to what game I was playing.

I only played HZD recently and more than once I was like "oh that hologram thingy from death stranding!"

havent beat hzd or death stranding yet.... but perhaps they are in the same universE??

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

I only played HZD recently and more than once I was like "oh that hologram thingy from death stranding!"

havent beat hzd or death stranding yet.... but perhaps they are in the same universE??

Nah it’s just an Easter egg cause they both use the same game engine.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

You can also see Horizon herself at one of the prepper shelters.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bedshaped posted:

Is there any downside to having a bladder full of piss? I was hiking through the mountains when I realized I hadn't gone in a while and it was at 1000ml.

wait what

where does it show this

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Romes128 posted:

Nah it’s just an Easter egg cause they both use the same game engine.

Yeah, for those who don't know, after Konami decided that Kojima and his crew weren't allowed to have the FOX engine, which they developed, Kojima shopped around at a couple of devs, and the Guerrilla Games lead devs were like "you are a legend, please, please take our engine source"

It was literally delivered to Kojima's office on a flash drive in a custom wooden box, and apparently KojiPro and Guerrilla now regularly share improvements and changes to the engine between their development teams :3:

punishedkissinger posted:

wait what

where does it show this

it states your piss levels on a little meter when you unzip

I'm pretty sure having MAXIMUM PISS doesn't have any negative effects, you can still drink and everything to my knowledge

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Needing a piss will make Sam occasionally complain about how bad he has to go but other than that I don't think there are any gameplay effects. I whipped it out to piss off a mountain because come on who the heck isn't gonna do that and he said "here, really?? Uggghhh".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dreamin of semen posted:

Yeah, for those who don't know, after Konami decided that Kojima and his crew weren't allowed to have the FOX engine, which they developed, Kojima shopped around at a couple of devs, and the Guerrilla Games lead devs were like "you are a legend, please, please take our engine source"

It was literally delivered to Kojima's office on a flash drive in a custom wooden box, and apparently KojiPro and Guerrilla now regularly share improvements and changes to the engine between their development teams :3:

I knew why HZD stuff was in Death Stranding, but I didn't know they were still collaborating together. That's awesome and should be way more common. Proprietary software benefits only our masters.

I wonder if Cyberpunk wouldve benefitted from some engineer sharery instead of just baby jammery.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

dreamin of semen posted:

That's classy as gently caress.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Khanstant posted:

I knew why HZD stuff was in Death Stranding, but I didn't know they were still collaborating together. That's awesome and should be way more common. Proprietary software benefits only our masters.

I wonder if Cyberpunk wouldve benefitted from some engineer sharery instead of just baby jammery.

Massively agree. Game dev is kinda collaborative in general, a lot of graphical techniques for example are well described in papers and at conferences, but that kind of camaraderie and direct collaboration between large devs is super uncommon and incredibly nice to see. Guerrilla did KojiPro a huge solid, we got a dope-rear end game out of it, AND we got it before 2025 :v:

to think we could have ended up in a horrible timeline where Death Stranding is an Unreal Engine game

also, about the cool wooden box, Kojima returned it 3 years later with a build of Death Stranding on the flash drive and I just think that's lovely

https://twitter.com/hermenhulst/status/1085225004814557184

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bedshaped posted:

I dunno, sometimes the piss grenades are more clear, indicating better hydration. There's probably some small differences in terms of power of piss grenades or maybe you move faster with an empty bladder or walk funny if your bladder is filled.

Kojima thinks or just about everything.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sam drinks Monster Energy and beer all day. His piss could probably hurt a lot more than bt's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Romes128 posted:

Sam drinks Monster Energy and beer all day. His piss could probably hurt a lot more than bt's.

lol I kinda want to chuck one at a living person to see what happens, like do porters dock you likes if you piss on them

What if you bola a mule and piss on them

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

lol I kinda want to chuck one at a living person to see what happens, like do porters dock you likes if you piss on them

I ran over another porter by accident and got docked 200 likes.

I have so many new things to try next time I boot the game up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sam Pisser Bridges

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

please do not be mean to the porters

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you piss on a mule before kicking them to KO them what happens

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
be nice 2 porter and they give u free present

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khanstant posted:

be nice 2 porter and they give u free present

Not if you shower them with gold

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
They should patch it so that if you never piss you are just constantly pissing your pants. No gameplay effects.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

I think it makes them slip and fall? That's the grenades, pretty sure if you try to whip out your 'lil reedus around anyone he'll refuse.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Romes128 posted:

By the near end of the game on my first playthru I was such a badass fedex guy I was purposely getting trapped by bt’s just so I could fight the mini boss and get chiral crystals.

Hmm, I've been farming to get the highways built, getting the crystals from BT hunts.

I just tried the mini boss instead, and it looks like it's about the same number of crystals but faster. Accurate?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

FAUXTON posted:

If you piss on a mule before kicking them to KO them what happens

Tested it. You can't pee on people. Sam said "No one wants to see that" and "guess I'll hold it."

Also saw a tool tip while the game loaded that said you can pop a hematic grenade and fire through the mist using regular bullets and it'll do MORE damage to bt's than bt weapons, which I'll definitely have to try.

Sono posted:

Hmm, I've been farming to get the highways built, getting the crystals from BT hunts.

I just tried the mini boss instead, and it looks like it's about the same number of crystals but faster. Accurate?

Maybe more from the bosses? I did the chapter 3 fight where Higgs made you fight a BT before you got on the boat and got like 1000 from that. But that was a forced fight. I'll have to see how many I get from random encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bigger bosses give more than one mini-boss, but fights with multiple mini-bosses will give overall more per encounter. Go lion hunting, the more you fight at once the merrier!