Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Patrat posted:

He is, currently on antibiotics so hopefully he will be on the mend and back to attacking his new big sister's tail in a few days. Right now my bathroom is a poo apocalypse zone though containing a very shouty little boy.

Unfortunately cuddling him leads to having to change clothes because he shits himself when relaxing. Washing machine is getting to work all day this holiday season.

I’m really sorry to hear that and I’m sorry if my initial post seemed curt, when it comes to animals or people in pain I feel the need to be very direct. I really hope your kitty gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dienes posted:

Edit: Humans infected with toxo can't spread it via their poo poo. Cats infected with toxo can spread it via their poo poo. Toxo kills marine life.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/07/seals-endangered-species-health-disease-oceans/
https://www.livescience.com/63868-beluga-whale-cat-poop-toxoplasma.html

This doesn't answer my question at all, because toilets do not go directly to the ocean

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: nm

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 29, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This doesn't answer my question at all, because toilets do not go directly to the ocean

some go directly to the forums

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So, it's generally not a problem in the US with the exception of some rare, really out-of-the-way coastal locations. Sewage disposal into the ocean used to be a big deal, though, and was still a problem as recently as the early 90s! Sure, that's almost 30 years ago, but it doesn't seem like something that should have been happening, y'know? Older infrastructure also has issues...and in the US, aging infrastructure is starting to become more of a problem.

Other countries (and specifically countries that are less-developed) definitely do have the problem of draining sewage into the sea.

More info here: https://oursharedseas.com/sewage-pollution-primer/

Probably doesn't impact people posting on these here forums, but still something to keep in mind, and something worth checking out in your local area (if you're near any waterways).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, these are the two outdoor cats that we trapped and rescued over the last couple days:

Very handsome kitties!

The grey one appears to be a kitten, and the brown one (we think) is its mom, because they seem to have that relationship and get along well together. They spent the night out of their cages free shut in the bedroom next to mine with ample food/water/litter boxes, and have been very quiet. We don't even really know the sex of either one, or if they're spayed/neutered or what. We're taking them into the Boulder Humane Society today, which should answer these questions.

The big debate is whether or not they're feral. I don't think they're feral, because they've reacted quite calmly to being trapped and taken inside, and seem to have adjusted immediately to using their litter box. Plus, they've been hanging around the house for a week before we trapped them because we had been feeding them and setting up warm sheltered places for them to sleep outdoors, and this kept them sticking around.

On the other hand, I've barely heard them make a sound, but I *have* heard some squeaky meows coming from their room. I think this is another strike against them being feral, but I'm just going on common wisdom here, mostly.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
If mom is chill then yeah shes either a stray or neighborhood porch cat. Keep em both. Mom will lead kitten to learn that humans are good for pets and food. Look at that little snow kitty face you have to keep her you monster.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

:ohdear: I don't suppose there's any way to test whether my cats are carriers, so that I could tell whether it's safe to keep flushing?

Alternatively, and I realise this is a silly question, but how do you actually deal with waste without flushing it? Buy lots of tiny plastic bags and use one each time? Accumulate the stuff in a standard garbage bag until it's full? (Ew).

It feels weird and wasteful to use plastic for the purpose. Are there alternatives?

I have this thing called the Litter Genie, basically it's a specially designed trash can/bag assembly. It traps the smells in, when the bag gets full, you open up the can, slice off the bag (the bag is a tube of plastic that you pull through and tie off to close off one end), tie off the open end, pull more plastic through, tie off that end and throw away the sealed tube of cat waste.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've discovered that my kitty's reduced appetite may stem from her having apparently eaten a couple dozen tassels off a cotton blanket, likely over the course of a number of months. Anyone know if thin cotton strands should just pass on through? Or might she have a lump of thread stuck in her intestines?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
post christmas adoption of a half siamese/tabby 2 year old male, he's super friendly and social which I think may actually just be overwhelming my 3 house cats (7 year old female, 1 year old female, 6 year old male)

only on day two, but his constant chirping and jumpy head bobbing I think is making the other 3 nervous. anyone ever introduce any partial Siamese cat in with other normal cats got any tips? All are fixed and not declawed and have their own food/litter stations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've discovered that my kitty's reduced appetite may stem from her having apparently eaten a couple dozen tassels off a cotton blanket, likely over the course of a number of months. Anyone know if thin cotton strands should just pass on through? Or might she have a lump of thread stuck in her intestines?

That's really impossible for us to say, you should get her into a vet and possibly do an x-ray.

Mnoba posted:

post christmas adoption of a half siamese/tabby 2 year old male, he's super friendly and social which I think may actually just be overwhelming my 3 house cats (7 year old female, 1 year old female, 6 year old male)

only on day two, but his constant chirping and jumpy head bobbing I think is making the other 3 nervous. anyone ever introduce any partial Siamese cat in with other normal cats got any tips? All are fixed and not declawed and have their own food/litter stations.

Probably they just need time, it'd be weird if they WEREN'T nervous around a new cat.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 30, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

Linear foreign object(s) combined with reduced appetite?

Yes, this calls for vet visit immediately, be prepared for at least an x-ray, and possibly abdominal surgery if they've gotten tangled up and formed blockages

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We have this one knitted blanket that Finn MUST knead every time he comes in contact with. I've been calling it our Finn spike strip because you could stop him dead in his tracks every time by rolling this thing out on the floor. It makes me laugh every time because I can't help but imagine him being like "Hang on I'll be right there I just need to take care of this first" every time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:siren:Pet Food Recall Alert:siren:

If anyone is feeding their pets Sportsmix, don't:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...evels-aflatoxin

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Just saw it elsewhere, but good call posting it here too. Don't believe our shelter has any currently but let folks handling donations know to keep an eye out for it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
If my cat pukes, eats it back up, and doesnt act sick in anyway for a day...this is just normal cat stuff right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gaj posted:

If my cat pukes, eats it back up, and doesnt act sick in anyway for a day...this is just normal cat stuff right?

Nail, head. That is peak cat.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Gaj posted:

If mom is chill then yeah shes either a stray or neighborhood porch cat. Keep em both. Mom will lead kitten to learn that humans are good for pets and food. Look at that little snow kitty face you have to keep her you monster.

Yep, turned out "mom" was a microchipped male barn cat who lived about 5 miles down the canyon (!!!) so he has been claimed and gone. His owner was pretty shocked that he'd been caught/trapped and brought in - "I can't believe you actually touched him - I've not been able to catch him or touch him in years!" Cute snow kitty face is a more or less healthy ~8--month-old as yet (not for long) un-neutered male, and has no micro-chip and is so far unclaimed. My roommate Chad (who was the proactive one in trapping these cats) has first dibs and is going to try adopting him and seeing if this kitty can adjust to a reasonably civil life with the other 3 cats who live here.

In other news, Jackie has become a fisher-cat:

Well, they actually just stared at each other like that, and Jackie drank some of the water. Aquariums probably seem like the most awesome water bowl ever, to a cat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well it's years on now and Brutus, the second of my folks' three cats (about whom I've posted in this thread before) is still very weird but everyone's long settled into a happy equilibrium so mostly he's just a curiosity rather than a source of any worry. I still have absolutely no idea what his deal is, but as far as I can tell, he's got extremely particular Safe Zones (say, one particular bed) and when he's in them you are permitted to approach and pet and he's absolutely fine, he does pats, scritches, even belly rubs, purring loudly. But, if he's outside one of those, then you're obviously here to eat him, he'll maintain a minimum safe distance of at least three meters and sprint away if you linger too long (unless he wants to be let out, in which case he'll linger while you open a door, then sprint). In retrospect he was basically like this from the beginning, except his sole safe spot was hiding behind one sofa. He's enormously chilled out relative to when they got him, by which I basically just mean he's designated more safe spots.

is cat, I guess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fedule posted:

Well it's years on now and Brutus, the second of my folks' three cats (about whom I've posted in this thread before) is still very weird but everyone's long settled into a happy equilibrium so mostly he's just a curiosity rather than a source of any worry. I still have absolutely no idea what his deal is, but as far as I can tell, he's got extremely particular Safe Zones (say, one particular bed) and when he's in them you are permitted to approach and pet and he's absolutely fine, he does pats, scritches, even belly rubs, purring loudly. But, if he's outside one of those, then you're obviously here to eat him, he'll maintain a minimum safe distance of at least three meters and sprint away if you linger too long (unless he wants to be let out, in which case he'll linger while you open a door, then sprint). In retrospect he was basically like this from the beginning, except his sole safe spot was hiding behind one sofa. He's enormously chilled out relative to when they got him, by which I basically just mean he's designated more safe spots.

is cat, I guess.

This is a pretty common cat thing, actually. They tend to be very territorial and very particular about where they do and do not feel comfortable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet’s turning 12 this year, and I’m realizing he doesn’t have a lot of time left. Kinda wondering what I’ll do when he passes. Considering cremation + an urn, or scattering them somewhere. I heard that scattering ashes in public areas/wilderness is illegal, tho?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of old cats, my boy turns 10 this year. I wish I could bring him home but I do what I can to make him happy as it is. Scared old guy from a neglectful home with health issues. So far, managed to work with him from "run in terror and hide above head level if anyone in the same room as him moved" to "lets some people touch him, begs me to sit down so he can perch on my lap but runs a few feet away if I move below the waist around him, still hides some but not so badly" over the course of a year and change. Not the only cat I work with, but he's bonding, and with his age/behavior/health he's not likely to get adopted by anyone else.

I wish I knew how to make him happier, in a way I can actually accomplish.
Cat tax from today in their new home in the shelter (remodeling in progress).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For some reason my cat’s decided to start barfing everything up today. :suicide: No fatigue or lethargy, no diarrhea, but several vomits in a row. I decided to take away most of the food and only put a little in to see if it’s a matter of gorging, but since it only seems to happen a few minutes after he eats a few pieces of kibble, it seems likely to be a gastrointestinal thing. Unlikely to be kidney disease or a complication from cardiac hypertrophy.

Really weird part is that he’s got the zoomies, so at least he’s not dying(?).

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

it’s really shocking how adept i’ve become at giving my cat pills. i remember a few months ago it was sooo stressful, now i’m like “c’mere butthead.”

also shocking is how equally adept my cat has become at not wanting to take pills

my 10 y/o cat randomly developed pancreatitis in august that took forever to get diagnosed. he’s been left with a big ol cyst that isn’t responding to repeated drainings so he’s getting it removed on jan 11.

collecting good vibes from any cats and their humans until and after that !!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Pollyanna posted:

For some reason my cat’s decided to start barfing everything up today. :suicide: No fatigue or lethargy, no diarrhea, but several vomits in a row. I decided to take away most of the food and only put a little in to see if it’s a matter of gorging, but since it only seems to happen a few minutes after he eats a few pieces of kibble, it seems likely to be a gastrointestinal thing. Unlikely to be kidney disease or a complication from cardiac hypertrophy.

Really weird part is that he’s got the zoomies, so at least he’s not dying(?).

This happened to Katya earlier this year, the vet prescribed some anti-nausea medication that allowed her to eat and she was fine a few days later. Def see a vet and try to feed him something he can keep down in the mean time.
I think it has given her an aversion to wet food though, as it happened after her weekly bag, now she's very fussy about finishing a bowl of the stuff (we tried different brands) and with a ravenous kitten in the house we're probably switching her over to kibble to avoid extra stress.

Speaking of the kitten addition, it's still going very well and they're grooming each other right now. :3:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Ok, the grooming has since devolved into a slap fight, but my point stands.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ok, the grooming has since devolved into a slap fight, but my point stands.

kittens.txt

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That means they REALLY love each other.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Back in May, I asked for help in socializing a kitten after we found a litter of 5 + their mom under our front step. The kitten i picked out, a tortoiseshell I named Marzipan, was very wary of people and would hide under things if she saw a person and hissed if you got close. It took a few weeks, but eventually she warmed up to me. We separated her out from the litter after 14-ish weeks and she's been living with me and my senior cat (The Cheat) and doing great. Any time I am standing anywhere, she always looks for the nearest tall-ish place from which to jump up onto my shoulders, her and The Cheat chase each other and play and in general she's a big ol' sweetheart. Emphasis on big since she's over ten pounds already and since we are fairly sure her and her siblings are part Maine Coon she'll likely be around 13 pounds or more when she's fully grown.

This was all mostly an excuse to post a couple update pictures

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love Maine coons so loving much :kimchi:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I went home for a couple weeks and Terry stayed in my apartment with a cat sitter coming twice a day. He was getting 30-40 minutes of attention each day but still started throwing up a lot, sometimes with blood, so my sitter took him to an emergency vet on 12/23. He got blood work and an x-ray which showed nothing special. They chalked it up to stress-caused gastroenteritis and gave him fluids, an anti-nausea injection, and vitamin B12 before discharge. They sent him with gabapentin pills that he took for the next week and seemed to calm him down.

He seemed to calm down a lot when I got home on Saturday. But this morning he threw up a bunch, twice vomiting partly-digested dry food and twice just clear liquid, so I got worried about him getting dehydrated. I have a care plan with Banfield clinics but I couldn't find one that could see him, so he went back to VCA. The vet there said she didn't think an x-ray would be helpful, so in addition to the exam he got fluids, anti-nausea, and B12 again. Vet suspects that the issue is irritable bowel syndrome - apparently an ultrasound is useful to check this out but a tissue biopsy is needed to make a sure diagnosis.

What would you do here? I guess I'll wait to see if it happens again first.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone here have experience with "hypo-allergenic" cats? Is it a case where some breeds really don't trigger cat allergies or is it a more gradual thing where certain people are just more or less allergic to certain cats.

More specifically, if you have cat allergies is it possible to find a cat you're not allergic to or do you have to settle for a case where the allergies are just tolerable?

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!

Hello thread, this fluffy void is Bijou. She came with the name BeetleJuice but that got smushed into Bijou for short.

McCracAttack posted:

Does anyone here have experience with "hypo-allergenic" cats? Is it a case where some breeds really don't trigger cat allergies or is it a more gradual thing where certain people are just more or less allergic to certain cats.

More specifically, if you have cat allergies is it possible to find a cat you're not allergic to or do you have to settle for a case where the allergies are just tolerable?

Anecdotally, it is a tolerance situation. I'm allergic to most of the planet, including cats, and taking an antihistamine every day was good enough for growing up with cats and the outside world. However, an ex brought home 2 domestic short hairs and I had a little anaphylaxis episode - woops! No amount of vacuuming fixed that situation, sadly. I've noticed I'm better with long haired cats - lived with roommates with maine coons and knew I was chill with them, etc - so when it was my turn to adopt I went for a long haired kitty. No regrets, she is perfect, and one pill a day allows me to smother her in love. I recommend sitting for half an hour with any cat you think you might adopt - if you have any reaction, it's a no-go. No hives or worse after 30 minutes of close contact, probably a tolerable situation. Not a perfect test but worked for more-allergic-to-some-cats-than-others me!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I need some advice. I mentioned before that our kitten Peanut died about 6 weeks ago. Her sister Maple's behaviour has changed noticeably since then. She's become very clingy, and much more vocal than before. She sleeps like a normal cat, but when she's awake she's often following us around and miaowing. This is normally fine, but there are two main situations where it's a problem

- She wakes up in her room, next to ours, as soon as she hears our alarm, and starts screaming until we let her out. Previously she and Peanut would just chill out until we woke up

- When I'm making dinner, we shut her out of the ground floor kitchen/dining/living room (otherwise she'd end up pulling a boiling pan on her head). Again, she screams for us (with intermissions)

I think she's lonely and needs a friend, which we will arrange at some point, but is there anything we can do to discourage her from screaming the house down in the meantime?

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What would you do here? I guess I'll wait to see if it happens again first.

first off, i am in love with him. secondly, this sounds similar to the beginning of what i’m going through with my own cat — he didn’t get an actual diagnosis until he saw an internal medicine specialist. he had visited his regular vet for a battery of tests several times before the referral, most of which were normal. i think his blood test showed elevated pancreatic levels of some kind, and that’s when i learned that apparently cats can just spontaneously develop pancreatitis, etc., Apparently GI problems in older cats are several and varied and amorphous.

it sounds like you’re doing the right thing playing the waiting game, which we did too.

... i hope some of that was helpful

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So we went back to the humane society and adopted that gorgeous little white cat, that I posted earlier. I sat in the backseat with him on the way back from the shelter today, though he was in his crate with a blanket over it most of the time, poor little guy.

He actually has a bit of a history, turns out he was chipped as well. He'd been brought in to that shelter as a feral kitten like a year ago, and they had neutered him and chipped him and adopted him out to a family... who promptly returned him 2 weeks later, stating that he was "a bully". He then got adopted out as a "working" cat earlier this year, but this also did not really end very well for the little guy, as he apparently wasn't there for long before he ran off again, which is when we found him with his buddy, another runaway barn/working cat.

The sad thing was that when the shelter called his most recent owners earlier this week, they didn't even want to bother to come pick him up :( Given this very sad history, our strategy is to try and overwhelm him with love and see if that works at all. Honestly doesn't much sound like any prior owners of his had tried that strategy much. He's hanging out in his crate (in his room) re-acclimating... He seemed to actually do pretty well when he was here before.

I don't really know how Jackie will respond to him, but I figure she can deal with just about anything, at this point. I have the utmost confidence in my aquarium-drinking cat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bobstar posted:

I need some advice. I mentioned before that our kitten Peanut died about 6 weeks ago. Her sister Maple's behaviour has changed noticeably since then. She's become very clingy, and much more vocal than before. She sleeps like a normal cat, but when she's awake she's often following us around and miaowing. This is normally fine, but there are two main situations where it's a problem

- She wakes up in her room, next to ours, as soon as she hears our alarm, and starts screaming until we let her out. Previously she and Peanut would just chill out until we woke up

- When I'm making dinner, we shut her out of the ground floor kitchen/dining/living room (otherwise she'd end up pulling a boiling pan on her head). Again, she screams for us (with intermissions)

I think she's lonely and needs a friend, which we will arrange at some point, but is there anything we can do to discourage her from screaming the house down in the meantime?
Maple is nearly a year old now, right? So she should be growing out her restless rear end in a top hat kitten stage soon, and if you ignore her screaming (substituting play time when she's quiet) then maybe, eventually, she'll learn that screaming will not be fruitful. But that requires a lot of patience and there will be lots of kitten screams in the meantime. Short of building a soundproof room for her to sleep in there are no good fast solutions -- except maybe adopting a playmate. (Then you potentially get the problem of two cats hating each other and screaming :v:)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kw0134 posted:

Maple is nearly a year old now, right? So she should be growing out her restless rear end in a top hat kitten stage soon, and if you ignore her screaming (substituting play time when she's quiet) then maybe, eventually, she'll learn that screaming will not be fruitful. But that requires a lot of patience and there will be lots of kitten screams in the meantime. Short of building a soundproof room for her to sleep in there are no good fast solutions -- except maybe adopting a playmate. (Then you potentially get the problem of two cats hating each other and screaming :v:)

Yeah she's 10 months now. We've been trying to do that with the dinner cooking - waiting for her to get bored and wander off before letting her in, so she doesn't think it's "worked", and it seems to help. Harder to do in the mornings though.

We'll see what happens as she grows up.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Xepherra posted:

Hello thread, this fluffy void is Bijou. She came with the name BeetleJuice but that got smushed into Bijou for short.

Anecdotally, it is a tolerance situation. I'm allergic to most of the planet, including cats, and taking an antihistamine every day was good enough for growing up with cats and the outside world. However, an ex brought home 2 domestic short hairs and I had a little anaphylaxis episode - woops! No amount of vacuuming fixed that situation, sadly. I've noticed I'm better with long haired cats - lived with roommates with maine coons and knew I was chill with them, etc - so when it was my turn to adopt I went for a long haired kitty. No regrets, she is perfect, and one pill a day allows me to smother her in love. I recommend sitting for half an hour with any cat you think you might adopt - if you have any reaction, it's a no-go. No hives or worse after 30 minutes of close contact, probably a tolerable situation. Not a perfect test but worked for more-allergic-to-some-cats-than-others me!

omg, she looks like our Katya! I never see cats that look like her :love:

I can confirm that my mildly allergic partner is more allergic to some cats than others but after a few weeks he no longer had reactions when we adopted Katya, in this case exposure just sort of fixed it?
I actually knew someone who had a pair of hypo-allergenic cats, something Rex they were called. They had short curly fur and looked like disheveled rodents, they were weird cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
uncanny