Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Megasabin posted:

Question about humble bundle. I bought in to grab Pathologic 2. I don't want a monthly subscription. I was going to just cancel now but I notice my next bill date is actually the end of February. Will I get to choose games in February as well and cancel before the pay date comes up? I only paid 12 bucks so I thought I would only get one months worth of games?

Also any advice on things I should know about before starting Pathologic 2? I did not play the first one.

The way the subscription works is kinda funky, when next month's games roll around you'll see the lineup but won't actually be billed for them automatically until that month expires, presumably so you can make an educated decision up front about whether you want to actually pay for that month or not. You can at any point before the month expires, choose to pay early and unlock that month of stuff.

Also, the instant you cancel your subscription you lose access to the Humble Trove and the store discount, so if there was anything you wanted to grab from either of those, do that first.

Megasabin posted:

Also any advice on things I should know about before starting Pathologic 2? I did not play the first one.

If it's anything like the first one (which iirc it's mostly a retelling of), the way the game makes you experience the misery of the character is by making things miserable for you, the player. So... just be ready for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megasabin posted:

Money is convenient, but the real economy is the barter economy with the town's residents, specially the children. You can adjust any elements of the difficult to your liking (a lot of people don't like the hunger's pace, my personal pet peeve is equipment deterioration) without any real loss. Speaking of loss, no one's death in the game is a fail state, but do prioritize saving the lives of characters you consider important. Don't sleep on the upgrades to inventory space (you will have access to them early, but not at the start of the game).

Don't take the deal.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Palpek posted:

Driver: San Francisco is like that but all the keys are extremely expensive, last I checked it was like 80€. Too bad because that's one good racing game I missed the opportunity to play.

If you really want to play it, there's physical PC copies (albeit with Uplay codes inside) floating around for like a quarter of that price

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cross-Section posted:

If you really want to play it, there's physical PC copies (albeit with Uplay codes inside) floating around for like a quarter of that price
I've only seen used copies being sold and I don't trust those codes inside to be unused.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Palpek posted:

Driver: San Francisco is like that but all the keys are extremely expensive, last I checked it was like 80€. Too bad because that's one good racing game I missed the opportunity to play.

Driver sf is great. Is it just not on steam? I assume its on uplay. Ruse is another that got killed off. Luckily i own that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jamfrost posted:

Yeah, we have the major ones, and then some smaller scale stuff. I barely remember something with Skullgirls and then the person in question issued an apology afterwards. Some of these issues are hard to summarize without the person having prior knowledge.

If it has a running list, it might need its own thread. Do we already have a thread?

If not, anyone feel free to send me PMs with supporting documentation/links for the dev/publisher and I'll start compiling and formatting. I'd present information as objectively as possible and let the reader decide on what they want to do. :v:

We have a thread. OP needs updating.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

So how does the latest Tomb Raider game measure up as a pure stealth game?

This looks like a Metal Gear Solid type game where you sneak around big areas of patrolling enemies using tons of gadgets and tools to help you along the way. Is that about right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretty much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

strategery posted:

Driver sf is great. Is it just not on steam? I assume its on uplay.

Nope:

quote:

Driver San Francisco was delisted between July 11th and August 11th, 2016 on Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 version was presumably delisted around the same time. The Steam version was then delisted on December 9th, 2016 and the Uplay version presumably delisted that same month. No explanation or advanced notice was given but the reason for the delisting is likely due to the game’s impressive playlist of licensed songs.

The game remains available on physical media for Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Ubisoft’s homepage for the game links to Amazon where it was available to download on PC through late 2019. As of December 2020 the digital Uplay versions of the game remain available to buy from GameStop in North America.
They got rid of it pretty thoroughly.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 2, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So how does the latest Tomb Raider game measure up as a pure stealth game?

This looks like a Metal Gear Solid type game where you sneak around big areas of patrolling enemies using tons of gadgets and tools to help you along the way. Is that about right?

That’s Rise of the Tomb Raider but stealth mostly takes place in missions which occasionally do have some semi-open areas but those are small arenas at their biggest. Aren’t really “gadgets” either just different arrows and guns. Same goes for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which is the newest one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I see monster hunter is on sale, but is any of the DLC worth it? there's a disgusting amount of DLC.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I see monster hunter is on sale, but is any of the DLC worth it? there's a disgusting amount of DLC.

The only DLC is Iceborne.

The rest is irrelevant cosmetic crap.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Picked up Dysmantle during the sale (made by 10Tons ltd, who made games like Jydge and Tesla vs Lovecraft) and am really enjoying it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

The trailer is trash, so watch this review instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xss-eVFSE1g

The gameplay is a really good survival game. You can smash everything, tons of unlocks to work towards, crafting, however, what you craft is permanent unlocks. So find a recipe for tomato soup, make soup and get permanent +5 hp. Has quests to complete, and a souls like mechanic in that resting at a fire respawns enemies, if you die you can pick up your loot again.

It is in early access, so might be worth a wishlist for now, but it is really looking nice and playable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

The only DLC is Iceborne.

The rest is irrelevant cosmetic crap.

Do you need iceborne or can you just do the base game? $25 is still too high to instant buy

I was also thinking of fallout 74 but was on the fence... :thunk:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you need iceborne or can you just do the base game? $25 is still too high to instant buy

You can just do the base game, but Iceborne adds a few cool features, most notably the clutch claw which is the coolest thing ever.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If your choices are between Monster Hunter, a game constantly revered and praised almost universally, or Fallout 76, Shitler’s attempt to stretch the definitions of both “functional” and “video game,” I think I can guess which will be more recommended to you in this thread.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Harminoff posted:

Picked up Dysmantle during the sale (made by 10Tons ltd, who made games like Jydge and Tesla vs Lovecraft) and am really enjoying it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

The trailer is trash, so watch this review instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xss-eVFSE1g

The gameplay is a really good survival game. You can smash everything, tons of unlocks to work towards, crafting, however, what you craft is permanent unlocks. So find a recipe for tomato soup, make soup and get permanent +5 hp. Has quests to complete, and a souls like mechanic in that resting at a fire respawns enemies, if you die you can pick up your loot again.

It is in early access, so might be worth a wishlist for now, but it is really looking nice and playable.

Oh neat hadn't heard about this. Gonna keep an eye on it.

That was more about sex pests in the industry and also it attracted some....interesting posts/posters

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Harminoff posted:

The gameplay is a really good survival game.

Dysmantle also has 100% skill based combat. Once one figures out attack patterns and such, it's possible to avoid all damage regardless of enemy type (dodge roll is OP). There's no 'hope you kill it before it kills you' here. Certain enemies do require different strategies than others.

I've got about 15 hours in it and unlocked almost the entire skill tree, but I still have quite a bit of the available map to explore. I'm hoping that the next update will add the sledgehammer so I can just bash a town to pieces instead of having to leave the walls standing. The baseball bat and fire axe only allow so much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just get the base game and see if you like it, IB’s content is all after the credits of the main game other than a few weapon moveset additions and a terrible mechanic that the main game wasn’t designed around so you don’t need it until IB anyway.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I recommend Fallout 76

If you don't play it, you're probably going to keep thinking people exaggerate just how bad it is. If you play it for yourself, you'll discover people have been going easy on it.

I recommend talking a friend into playing it with you. It's actually less fun that way because it's designed to be worse to play when progressing through the story in co-op (because only the party leader gets progress) but at least you're not the only one suffering.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you have any difficulty choosing between F74 and MHW you should absolutely get the former, you deserve it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Iceborne adds a couple of moves to the base game but 99% of its content only kicks in after you finish the main game's story, which is already a good 50 hours of gameplay. If you don't know if you're going to like MH, buy the base game alone.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Threep posted:

I recommend Fallout 76

If you don't play it, you're probably going to keep thinking people exaggerate just how bad it is. If you play it for yourself, you'll discover people have been going easy on it.

I tried Fallout 76 on gamepass for basically this exact reason and the login screen was so busted that I couldn't even play it, absolutely amazing, lived up to all the hype

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Palpek posted:

Nope:

They got rid of it pretty thoroughly.

Wow thats...surprising. i do own it on uplay. Ive always wanted a sequel. I really liked it. Shame.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was considering it because it seemed interesting, regardless of reception, and it costs about the same amount of money I have in my steam wallet

Not going to sub to gamepass so

I guess I just want some scifi thing where I can build my own house but idk what's good

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was considering it because it seemed interesting, regardless of reception, and it costs about the same amount of money I have in my steam wallet

Not going to sub to gamepass so

I guess I just want some scifi thing where I can build my own house but idk what's good

Tried No Man's Sky? The base building in that is pretty fun and if you don't want to do the grind for materials (which I enjoy but some don't) you can just play in creative mode.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Tried No Man's Sky? The base building in that is pretty fun and if you don't want to do the grind for materials (which I enjoy but some don't) you can just play in creative mode.

Yeah, kind of bored of it again, usually come back once or twice a year when there's content updates.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Try Rimworld.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been eyeing that but it never goes on enough of a discount. Pretty much has to be <$10 for impulse buys, $20 tops.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Is Phantom Doctrine worth $8? The XCOMs are some of my favorite games.

I can accept a game not as deep or engaging as XCOM 2 as long as there aren't bugs or brain-dead AI.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's neat but falls apart at the high end. I'd say 8 bucks is more than fair though, you'll get your money's worth of enjoyment out of the early parts of the game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Phantom Doctrine is more like Frozen Synapse than X-Com IIRC FWIW. I know the distinction may not mean much to some but it bugs me. I would 100% rather have the traditional grid movement, turn-based strategy than the pause-and-execute mechanic. There's a mech game in early access (by the Phantom Doctrine people I think) that turns me off for the same reason. I don't like having to guess how and when my AI squad are going to react. I'd rather know the exact odds of something happening.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 2, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

Is Phantom Doctrine worth $8? The XCOMs are some of my favorite games.

I can accept a game not as deep or engaging as XCOM 2 as long as there aren't bugs or brain-dead AI.

I would highly suggest giving Age of Wonders Planetfall a try. Unless you hated everything about the strategic layer of X-Com.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's neat but falls apart at the high end. I'd say 8 bucks is more than fair though, you'll get your money's worth of enjoyment out of the early parts of the game.

Agreed but I'll add that you shouldn't expect to get much X-Com from the game. It's so easy to have your guys walk around undercover and go completely unnoticed that it was super duper rare to have a real fight. By the time a fight starts you've usually won already.

The rest of the game makes it worth the 8 bucks though. Though I remember that you should probably read a guide to the chemical upgrade system because it's easy to screw up the order of upgrading.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 2, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Imagined posted:

There's a mech game in early access (by the Phantom Doctrine people I think) that turns me off for the same reason.

oh it makes sense that Phantom Doctrine and Phantom Brigade are from the same people, I kept on getting those titles confused

Edit: oh wait it's not...

Phantom Doctrine is from Polish developer Creative Forge
Phantom Brigade is from Canadian developer Brace Yourself

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 2, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have 200 hours in Age of Wonders 3 and still play it to this day. Possibly my favorite game of all time. I was hyped for Planetfall because I thought it would be that but sci-fi, but various things make it not click for me. For one, the UI feels really clunky, like a weird jumble of different ideas that don't fit well together and it's really hard at a glance to know what's going on. Secondly, since it is sci-fi with original races instead of relying on the old D&D fantasy tropes, you don't have the engrained knowledge of "oh, I'm fighting undead, bet they're vulnerable to holy magic", etc, ideas. I don't know what cybernetic amazonians are vulnerable too, so it requires relearning all that stuff from the ground up. I'd have rather they kept the AOW fantasy races and just given them laser guns.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been eyeing that but it never goes on enough of a discount. Pretty much has to be <$10 for impulse buys, $20 tops.

Rimworld's dev doesn't do sales. You may get a bit of a drop from key sites like Humble or Fanatical but you'll (probably) never see it for $20.

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Am I the first person these guys message or something? This is getting silly:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how are so many goons getting phished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh it makes sense that Phantom Doctrine and Phantom Brigade are from the same people, I kept on getting those titles confused

Edit: oh wait it's not...

Phantom Doctrine is from Polish developer Creative Forge
Phantom Brigade is from Canadian developer Brace Yourself

And I looked it up, and looks like I was wrong on the pause-and-execute thing with Phantom Doctrine. I was thinking of a different game there that I can't remember the name of for the life of me now.