Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a 2020 version of Baby Can You Dig Your Man?

Latest episode, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Darko posted:

Latest episode, yes.

is said man righteous?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I've never read the Stand and didn't know anything about the story except that it was about a plague wiping out humanity. I'm really enjoying the series so far and I don't find it difficult to follow. They seem to be a taking a Lost-style approach to each episode, focusing on one or two core characters and using flashbacks to flesh out their story/personality. I'm hoping we get an episode focused on Fran because right now, she seems kind of generic.

The only bad performance so far is Amber Heard's. Given what we now know about Nadine, I guess she's supposed to be zoned out and disoriented because she can't hear/feel Flagg anymore, but even in flashbacks before she arrives to Boulder, she acts like she just took a bunch of Valium before the cameras started rolling.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really liked episode 3, after disliking episode 2. I think Amber Heard is a very good Nadine. Other than Henreid, I really like the vegas side of the cast.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I've never read the Stand and didn't know anything about the story except that it was about a plague wiping out humanity. I'm really enjoying the series so far and I don't find it difficult to follow. They seem to be a taking a Lost-style approach to each episode, focusing on one or two core characters and using flashbacks to flesh out their story/personality. I'm hoping we get an episode focused on Fran because right now, she seems kind of generic.

The only bad performance so far is Amber Heard's. Given what we now know about Nadine, I guess she's supposed to be zoned out and disoriented because she can't hear/feel Flagg anymore, but even in flashbacks before she arrives to Boulder, she acts like she just took a bunch of Valium before the cameras started rolling.

That's how Nadine was in the book, too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Well in either case, thank you for letting me know ep3 came out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Well in either case, thank you for letting me know ep3 came out.

There's a new one every Thursday from now until Feb 11. I just have a reminder on my calendar otherwise I would completely forget too.

Also just glancing at the wiki it looks like Stephen King himself wrote the script for the final episode. I'm hopefully optimistic but I know his TV scripts can be really hit or miss. This show has done everything else better than I hoped for though, so I'm not too worried.

Speaking of exceeding my expectations, I think the actor for Tom Cullen really hit it out of the park. That's a character that could be written very insensitively VERY easily but I think he's been handled well so far. My boyfriend was delighted when I said he was a major character too. For myself, I'm super looking forward to him in the desert.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Khizan posted:

Yeah, Amber Heard has really nailed Nadine as written in the books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God drat, just give us The Long Walk already.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yeah I thought Nadine was fine and even if this last episode was better, I’m still disappointed so far. I really don’t understand the unnecessary changes.

Nick and Tom meet on a street after Tom sets up a bunch of mannequins. Why change that? Is it just cheaper to film inside?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m liking it more than I thought I would, but they have really cheapen Nick’s backstory.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Khizan posted:

Not how I recall it. At least not through the first 75%. She was a caring, protective guardian and was super interested in (but distant from) her love interest. poo poo obviously happens at a point, but without the background details that aren't privy to the rest of the party, i thought Nadine was more or less a "good guy" until she is spurned and falls into the arms of the other person in the novel

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Soysaucebeast posted:

Speaking of exceeding my expectations, I think the actor for Tom Cullen really hit it out of the park. That's a character that could be written very insensitively VERY easily but I think he's been handled well so far. My boyfriend was delighted when I said he was a major character too. For myself, I'm super looking forward to him in the desert.

100% agree, I was very happy with how Tom was cast/acted. I was really not expecting them to do a very good job with Tom but they nailed it in my opinion.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Eat This Glob posted:

Not how I recall it. At least not through the first 75%. She was a caring, protective guardian and was super interested in (but distant from) her love interest. poo poo obviously happens at a point, but without the background details that aren't privy to the rest of the party, i thought Nadine was more or less a "good guy" until she is spurned and falls into the arms of the other person in the novel

Hmm kind of an odd approach for a character who is essentially the bride of the devil. I don't know, I guess it's hard for me to judge her without reading the novel, but based on how she's portrayed in the tv show she's just kind of... there.

I know King can write decent female characters (decent here meaning consistent and interesting and flawed, not necessarily 'strong'). Hell, his first novel is almost entirely cast by young women and I thought he did a surprisingly good job with it. I would think that there are some weaknesses you could explore with Nadine about the mundane evil of passivity, or in checking out of your life and waiting for someone else to come along and give you 'meaning'. Does the book ever get into that?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like people are judging Nadine by the character in the original miniseries rather than the book. In the miniseries she was a composite of Nadine and Rita, the woman Larry traveled with while escaping New York City through the Lincoln Tunnel that eventually ODs. Nadine and Joe (the almost-feral child she had come across and was able to handle because she was a teacher) stumble upon him while he's still in shock over Rita's death when they're in upstate New York. It takes a while for Nadine to start getting weird, starting with Larry meeting Lucy, because Nadine was convinced Larry would be able to keep her from her destined marriage to Flagg.

Also, I disagree with making Larry black in the new miniseries because so much of the character was a white dude failing upwards by co-opting black music to the point that people were surprised when they realized he was white. Now it's a black dude that lucked into the music industry and keeps embarrassing his mother and loving up with drugs and owing people money. They managed to turn the character into an old stereotype.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, I disagree with making Larry black in the new miniseries because so much of the character was a white dude failing upwards by co-opting black music to the point that people were surprised when they realized he was white. Now it's a black dude that lucked into the music industry and keeps embarrassing his mother and loving up with drugs and owing people money. They managed to turn the character into an old stereotype.

Huh! That's really interesting. I like the actor they picked for Larry but I think I agree with you.

On the other hand, does that background really have a huge impact on the character's arc? I guess it would make him more likely to be swayed to Flagg's side, as he's already shown he likes taking the easy road to get the things he wants.

e: rewatching ep 3 and it's hilarious that Stu's introduction to two potentially dangerous but valuable allies is "it's great how we can pee wherever we want :)"

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 3, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Personally I think casting Amber Heard as a psychotic woman is pretty inspired casting. Her trial was her audition.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Some very good points here. I think if they are doing a straight updating of Larry's story without any nuance it could be really bad, and I haven't watched any of the series yet so I will reserve judgment on how well they handle his various failures.

That said, there has been something of a discussion recently in the music industry about how hard it is for Black and minority artists to break through in genres like R&B, soul, etc that used to be stereotyped as only for minority audiences i.e. artists like Adele or Justin Timberlake being the face of those genres rather than say Lianna La Havas or Frank Ocean (not making comparisons on quality or talent, just some examples that folks probably know). So maybe the writers were trying to highlight/subvert that while also using the context of the story as a tragic twist - hey look here's this Black artist who blows up and is on the road to superstardom in a genre where he was unlikely to do so, only to have the world go to hell before he can really enjoy it.

Again, I have no idea what the casting priorities were beyond diversifying the main characters or who was involved in the writing room, so that's all conjecture.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Mr. Mercedes tv show seems to have good reviews, so I tried watching it. Made it through about 1.5 episodes.

Ugh. This isn't a role for Bredan Gleeson. And I can't imagine taking another 9 episodes to get to the end of this book. The horny neighbor. The electronic store drama. The show's packed full of padding we have no need or desire to care about just to fill it out.

This is a six-episode miniseries, tops.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Feels like a general problem with King stuff converted into series - either too many episodes, or not enough. I had a similar problem with The Outsider, just felt like it was dragging.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The newest episode of The Stand really suffers due to the way they decided to tell the story in flashbacks and the lack of any real character backstory we have after 4 episodes in. They try to make Tom leaving for Vegas into this heartfelt thing, but so far we have only spent maybe 5 minutes with this character the whole series. So what should have been a teary eye moment for the audience instead is nothing but another plot point due to lack of any connection with any character. I know they tried to model this on Lost with it's flashbacks, but what made Lost great was it made care about the characters. They completely failed at that by giving Harold the most screen time so far. While I think they have done good with Harold, every other character comes off emotionally flat.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 8, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I agree, they really needed to show more of Tom in order to justify the difficult decision they were trying to make. I was watching with my wife and she didn't remember who the Tom they were talking about even was until I reminded her of the hospital scene with Nick. Then the rest of the episode unfolds and it becomes more obvious, but it shouldn't have been a question at all.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

nate fisher posted:

The newest episode of The Stand really suffers due to the way they decided to tell the story in flashbacks and the lack of any real character backstory we have after 4 episodes in. They try to make Tom leaving for Vegas into this heartfelt thing, but so far we have only spent maybe 5 minutes with this character the whole series. So what should have been a teary eye moment for the audience instead is nothing but another plot point due to lack of any connection with any character. I know they tried to model this on Lost with it's flashbacks, but what made Lost great was it made care about the characters. They completely failed at that by giving Harold the most screen time so far. While I think they have done good with Harold, every other character comes off emotionally flat.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I agree, they really needed to show more of Tom in order to justify the difficult decision they were trying to make. I was watching with my wife and she didn't remember who the Tom they were talking about even was until I reminded her of the hospital scene with Nick. Then the rest of the episode unfolds and it becomes more obvious, but it shouldn't have been a question at all.

Third-ed on that.

I'm really disappointed on how its going. I had just rewatched the tv movies at the start of the pandemic and, while it also has issues and looks dated, I really think it is a lot better. A lot.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Theres a few good things about this new series so far, some pretty decent sequences (I even came around on some of the casting), but mostly it's like having a cover band cock up my favorite song

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

nate fisher posted:

For the people who didn't read it (or if you're just one of those weirdos who sees a name on a review and dismisses it out of hand), this moment is one of the things Sepinwall talked about in his review.

I don't buy into the idea it was originally intended to be linear and got re-cut, but it feels weird to be that you can sit down and write something like that moment without thinking that the audience has spent next to no time with that character.

At least in LOST, when it worked at its best, the flashbacks served a purpose. This feels like well you might not care now, but wait in a few more hours when you learn a bit more about the character. It's anti-drama.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
They should have done a Nick and Tom episode and put it in before this one, or split it between the three going to vegas even. One ep getting to know these characters would make it meaningful and not just a plot point that has to be included

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I think they should've stuck to focusing on one or two major characters with the flashbacks. This episode had too broad a focus and as a result, the character development felt shallow. I was hoping Frannie might get her own episode before but now I'm not so sure I'd want to see it. She's been around for four episodes and her character still feels flat. And I don't understand why they bothered with the framing narration element. It didn't add anything to her character, to the plot, to anyone else's character, to anything really. Just two boring scenes where she's writing a letter to her unborn kid.

I thought Nadine's development could've been interesting. So far she's not really done anything and now she gets to act (at least in the plot; Heard is still awful in this role) and experience consequences. Unfortunately, they went with the boring femme fatale cliche.

I don't know. Disappointed in the women in this show so far. I know a lot of this stuff is from the original story, but they couldn't reconsider or try to update their roles a little? Or, if that was too hard, why not gender flip? Why does Nick need to be a man? Or Glen?

On another note, I picked up 'Salem's Lot from the library and have started reading it. It's good so far.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

man I hope some nerd does a linear edit some day

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The Stand show sucks butts, just flat out awful presentation.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Currently a third of the way through the
7th dark tower book following the big battle. this is maybe my 4th read through? i don't dislike it as much as i did back in 2005 or whenever it came out in hardcover. having read hearts in Atlantis and the short story with dink in it since then probably softens the blow a bit.

shame the movie was so bad it torpedoed adaptations of the other books up to at least IV, though Amazon may still be doing the Wizard and Glass prequel-style?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

Currently a third of the way through the
7th dark tower book following the big battle. this is maybe my 4th read through? i don't dislike it as much as i did back in 2005 or whenever it came out in hardcover. having read hearts in Atlantis and the short story with dink in it since then probably softens the blow a bit.

shame the movie was so bad it torpedoed adaptations of the other books up to at least IV, though Amazon may still be doing the Wizard and Glass prequel-style?

they've already produced a pilot and then decided not to pursue it. Glen Mazarra talks about it in the kingcast he was in. So unfortunately it is a no go.

Which is sad, because I'd love a young roland tv show.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

New ep of The Stand is out and it's... good? No flashbacks this time, just a tense story told in chronological order that balances character development with plot momentum. Also I don't think there will ever be a time I'm not pumped to hear the opening guitar of "Don't Fear The Reaper".

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Counterpoint: it's actually bad and ironically "New Vegas" is basically out of a Fallout game. Also, glad to see Harold apparently got the wifi back up and running for his dumb spycam, I guess? Who asked for this?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Owen Teague remains the only good part of The Stand. This show is awful. They have kept moments from the book without keeping any of the stuff that leads to them so there's just no weight to anything, the show has no real scale, Lloyd in particular is a ridiculous character, and the timeline jumping makes everything worse.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Berzerker posted:

Owen Teague remains the only good part of The Stand. This show is awful. They have kept moments from the book without keeping any of the stuff that leads to them so there's just no weight to anything, the show has no real scale, Lloyd in particular is a ridiculous character, and the timeline jumping makes everything worse.

I think this episode would have been fine (even with how ridiculous the Vegas stuff was) if they had told this story in a linear fashion and we actually had a chance to get to know the characters. Dayna? My wife had no idea who she was, so I had to fill her in (which was clear to me as a book reader). I think you describing that there is no real weight to the show is spot on. We know what is going to happen in the next episode (possibly), and when it does a very important moment in the book will barely move me.

Lloyd was such a better character in the 1994 miniseries (thank you Miguel Ferrer).

Edit: Just realized Owen Teague was in IT as part of Henry Bowers' gang.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 15, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, he was Patrick Hockstetter (although he didn't do any of the gross Hockstetter stuff from the book really, just got wrecked in the tunnel by a running clown going aboogadeeboogadeeboo. Multiple times this episode my partner had to ask me to remind them who characters were, including Dayna. You're right that next episode is going to get a fat "ehhn" out of me

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I don't know what's going to happen in the next episode because I haven't read the book. :shrug: So I'm interested to see what will happen to the Boulder crew now that Abigale has flown the coop.

Owen Teague is really, really amazing in this role. His performance has made Harold my favourite character. I'm genuinely interested to see what happens to him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Berzerker posted:

Owen Teague remains the only good part of The Stand. This show is awful. They have kept moments from the book without keeping any of the stuff that leads to them so there's just no weight to anything, the show has no real scale...

I haven't watched it but the idea of an adaptation of The Stand with no real scale or "weight to anything" is incredibly hard to imagine. It's been a while since I did my second reading of the book but, holy poo poo, isn't scale, weight and how that motivates characters over an entire continent with dreamlike visions the entire motherfucking point?

How do you make an adaptation of this novel without those elements? I guess you don't?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Something I don't understand is - if a director's interpretation of a scene doesn't add anything, improve anything, or say anything new, why change it from good source material?

King purists don't like Kubrick's Shining because it doesn't have the character depth of the book, and while I understand that, I also really admire how Kubrick was able to bring that terrible sense of horror from the page to the film with his changes. Like, he nailed the feeling of the Overlook, even if he added unnecessary things like it being on an Indian burial ground or whatever. Or Darabont's changes to the Green Mile and Shawshank, same thing. They improved the story. The changes to The Stand sometimes work but most often just feel like something different for the sake of something different, and rarely add anything. Or outright make things worse. Dayna outwitting Flagg is another step in his failure to maintain control, and in the book he petulantly beats her dead body until it's soft enough to slither out of Lloyd's grip. In the show, Flagg just shrugs it off. Which is darkly funny, maybe, but completely changes the meaning of the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Perhaps because I was never big on the stand, but I don't think this adaptation is that bad. It's very network TV, but entertaining enough. In fact, I think Harold and Tom Cullen are better in the show than in the book.

Yeah, there are problems. New Vegas is such a puritanical view of what "the bad side" would be like, with a very gen X view of what is edgy fashion. And Lloyd Henreid's actor is just so bad. I heard his interview in the kingcast podcast and he seems like such a nice guy, but his acting is atrocious.