Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy new year spook-a-doodles, the January Horror Essentials thread is officially up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

Well I didn't think the thread would inspire me to watch WW84 but here we are
It tries to do its own version of the start of Wishmaster where you see all the ramifications of the Wishmaster's crazy devil's paw's wishes. Except it's poo poo like there's a guy with a cow, but he doesn't want the cow anymore because when he wished for it, he imagined it would be on a farm and not at his DC apartment building. It's not explained if he actually said, "I wish I had a cow!" instead of wishing for a farm. He also is entirely free to simply walk away from the cow.

It's obviously more boring than a lawyer bending himself in half to gently caress himself, but also stupider.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Bracketology thread is lurching into life with the new year, and that means it's time for more streams! Tonight join us for a trio of godawful films, as they compete to enter the tournament

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: First Bracketology 2021 Stream! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

Jan 2nd starting at 7pm EST I will be streaming the three films from the first play-in round.
All times are in EST and may not represent reality.

1900 Urban Legends: Bloody Mary
2045 Silver Bullets
2205 Last Cannibal World

Thank you so much to Tarnop for the assistance! I couldn't have done it without you.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
I have watched Friday the 13th 4, 5, 6, & 7 all for the first time in the last few weeks and they've had the fun factor that I wanted out of Friday. And good kills.

Only a few more I can be one of the cool kids and participate in the ranking discussions every 2 weeks.

And the next takes place in 80s Manhattan, so that has to be awesome!!
I know

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actually with all the different time jumps in the series Jason Takes Manhattan takes places circa 2000.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Actually with all the different time jumps in the series Jason Takes Manhattan takes places circa 2000.

I'll check the official math on it later but it's at least 2000

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

OH yeah. I did have that thought of "wait what year is it really supposed to be" while watching 6 after the repeated talks of the legend of Jason and the last time he murdered in each movie...and then I thought it better for my head to not worry about

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and uninformed.
The Friday the 13th fandom wikipedia which is usually very right on things has part 8 taking place in 1998.

https://fridaythe13th.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Friday_the_13th_series

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My calculations point to 2001 but I'm not an expert in Jasonology but a mere layman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The Friday the 13th fandom wikipedia which is usually very right on things has part 8 taking place in 1998.

https://fridaythe13th.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Friday_the_13th_series
Honestly, I think the gap between VI and VII gets lowballed all the time. VII really really gives the sense that a lot of time has passed since Tommy defeated Jason.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I generally assume each of the time jumps are five years at least.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It's definitely more comedy than horror, but anyone checked out Vampires vs. The Bronx on Netflix? It was pretty fun, I liked it. Some Attack the Block vibes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

starting my marathon a day early.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Shadow In The Cloud was corny but decent. Not sure about some of the girl power moments considering it was written by Max Landis...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Disposable Scud posted:

Shadow In The Cloud was corny but decent. Not sure about some of the girl power moments considering it was written by Max Landis...

He was jerking off while he wrote it so

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's definitely more comedy than horror, but anyone checked out Vampires vs. The Bronx on Netflix? It was pretty fun, I liked it. Some Attack the Block vibes.

I think the thread is generally in agreement that it's good, I know a lot of us watched it for the October challenge.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Disposable Scud posted:

I really enjoyed it, went in with zero expectations. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard when the explosion of the other plane fired her back into her own plane.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You

I don't know when your birthday is so here

https://soundcloud.com/riceyhot/rob-zombie-dragula-ft-hatsune-motherfucking-miku

You're welcome

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Disposable Scud posted:

I'm not certain what was left in but Moretz and the director did heavy rewrites on Landis's original script. I'm not 100% sure what's his and what's theirs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's some good horror comedies that have come out lately, I just have not been in the mood for straight up horror. I think the most recent horror I watched was Freaky which was really good. During these COVID times I just don't have the stomach for straight up horror.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What's some good horror comedies that have come out lately, I just have not been in the mood for straight up horror. I think the most recent horror I watched was Freaky which was really good. During these COVID times I just don't have the stomach for straight up horror.
Little Evil is great if you haven't seen it
Little Monsters is fiiiiiiiiine if you go in without expecting too much Lupita Nyong'o

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hollismason posted:

Ready Or Not was a blast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has anyone seen Spontaneous ? Its on Amazon Prime for rent.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Last night I watched The Dead Pit (1989). It's low budget as hell, a mix of medical and psychological horror and a slasher movie and zombies, tied together and driven by a supernatural force (the eponymous pit). The whole thing's on YouTube and it whips rear end

Strange Charm fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Strange Charm posted:

Last night I watched The Dead Pit (1989). It's low budget as hell, a mix of medical and psychological horror and a slasher movie and zombies, tied together and driven by a supernatural force (the eponymous pit). The whole thing's on YouTube and it whips rear end

I have seen this movie at least a couple times as a kid and could never ever remember the title. Thanks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If I was in the mood for something sleazy and bizarre along the lines of Taxidermia, Combat Shock, Angst, The Driller Killer, Basket Case or Street Trash, what recommendations come to mind?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

If I was in the mood for something sleazy and bizarre along the lines of Taxidermia, Combat Shock, Angst, The Driller Killer, Basket Case or Street Trash, what recommendations come to mind?

Just watch Basket Case again

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Deadbeat at Dawn, Frankenhooker, Breeders

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

WeaponX posted:

Deadbeat at Dawn, Frankenhooker, Breeders

Seen and loved the first two. I'll look into Breeders.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

It’s very sleazy but has a fantastically goopy finale.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ms. 45
Body Melt
The Golden Glove
Delicatessen
The Untold Story

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spatulater bro! posted:

This movie will never live up to it's VHS cover.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh...BREeders.

Oh well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stink Billyums posted:

Ms. 45
Body Melt
The Golden Glove
Delicatessen
The Untold Story

I've seen Delicatessen and Body Melt. The other three have been on my radar. I think I'll go with Ms. 45. Thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I still need to watch Breeders. Frances Raines is in it and I adore her in Disconnected and The Mutilator.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ms .45 owned hard. Thanks Stink Billyums for the rec.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

BAD BIOLOGY

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That's Frank Hennenlotter right? Yeah I need to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hennenlotter and R.A. The Rugged Man. Bonkers even by the standards of Hennenlotter’s other stuff.