Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Baraka, and later Samsara, used to be one of the big hits for showing off HD TVs (1080p, egads!).

I think Netflix audio is pretty low in general compared to everything else. Probably because movies and TV have a better standardization of audio normalization for old timey TV etc.

I can't remember if it's Netflix, but there's definitely one app on my Apple TV I have to turn way up only to blow up my speakers as soon as I open another app.

it's Netflix and it started a year or two ago for some reason. I have to crank my Yamaha/Polk 5.1 setup to 60 for Netflix to hear anything but only 45-50 for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to turn up the volume on HBO Max a lot, like I’ll be 50 for normal TV listening and 65-70 on movies.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Netflix it is then. Appreciated.

ufarn posted:

Hook up your headphones to your TV and check out one of the 4K binaural videos.

Welp, now I can't get off the sofa. Thanks!

I also ordered the Dolby Vision/Atmos 5-disc set of the Transformers Bayology. If I ride the line of intoxication just right those kinda blow my mind, for a variety of reasons. :shepicide:

Follow-up question: I’ve got what looks like a stuck pixel. All-white. Not a big deal to be honest, is it common with an LG OX or OLEDs in general?

double edit: that YouTube problem even occurs on my Android-outfitted treadmill.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 1, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

qirex posted:

I have to turn up the volume on HBO Max a lot, like I’ll be 50 for normal TV listening and 65-70 on movies.

Using a Roku Ultra, Youtube seems to output everything loving loud (compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and the normal audio output level of my DirecTV box).

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Number_6 posted:

Using a Roku Ultra, Youtube seems to output everything loving loud (compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and the normal audio output level of my DirecTV box).

This happens on a Sony Bravia too. Youtube is poo poo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why does some HDR things look incredible, and some look like absolute poo poo? I’m playing AC:Valhalla on a PS Pro, and it looks like dog poo poo, but if I turn off HDR, it looks awesome. It seems hit or miss with video files as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Depends on the implementation by the developer/director, and whether they're using a version of HDR that adjusts the maximum luminance target based on your television (HDR10+/Dolby Vision).

I recall a Digital Foundry video where they showed how well RDR2 implemented it, and another game (I forget) where it wasn't nearly as good in terms of luminance yet both were technically HDR.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 1, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LorneReams posted:

Why does some HDR things look incredible, and some look like absolute poo poo? I’m playing AC:Valhalla on a PS Pro, and it looks like dog poo poo, but if I turn off HDR, it looks awesome. It seems hit or miss with video files as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mister Facetious posted:

Depends on the implementation by the developer/director, and whether they're using a version of HDR that adjusts the maximum luminance target based on your television (HDR10+/Dolby Vision).

I recall a Digital Foundry video where they showed how well RDR2 implemented it, and another game (I forget) where it wasn't nearly as good in terms of luminance yet both were technically HDR.

That's odd, because I found RDR2 looked really washed out with it on. Googling it I found a lot of claims that it wasn't proper HDR and recommendations to turn it off, which I did, and which made it look miles better.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ufarn posted:

Baraka, and later Samsara, used to be one of the big hits for showing off HD TVs (1080p, egads!).

I think Netflix audio is pretty low in general compared to everything else. Probably because movies and TV have a better standardization of audio normalization for old timey TV etc.

I can't remember if it's Netflix, but there's definitely one app on my Apple TV I have to turn way up only to blow up my speakers as soon as I open another app.

Heyyyyyy big rear end hat tip for mentioning Baraka and Samsara. I think I had seen bits and pieces but it reminded me to check them out. I'm on Baraka now and it's really something special.

Koyaanisqatsi I've liked a lot too.

So Baraka and Samsara are both available on Prime Video, but I discovered something loving stupid about Prime. It won't stream anything over 1080p to PCs, only to smart TV products. It looks way better on my TCL 6 series than my MacBook because of that. Also stupidly, Netflix nor Prime will show you which resolution you're currently viewing, but I can definitely tell the Roku is getting 4K where my laptop is not.

For anyone who doesn't know Netflix will not stream to Chrome in 4K either, but it will in Safari.

I bet this is all because of stupid loving DRM. Anyway thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

That's odd, because I found RDR2 looked really washed out with it on. Googling it I found a lot of claims that it wasn't proper HDR and recommendations to turn it off, which I did, and which made it look miles better.

Are you sure your TV was properly activating its HDR mode? HDR looks completely flat and washed out if it’s being displayed on an SDR display (or an HDR-capable display that hasn’t had it’s HDR mode activated.)

I noticed recently on my XB1 that if I power off the system without closing the game, when I come back to it the TV won’t properly activate HDR mode. The only way to do it is to back out to the home menu and close the game and relaunch it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also some games in HDR use the system level HDR calibration and some have their own in game calibration, make sure to check.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I can't remember what exactly it's called but are you using the "game" preset rather than standard/cinematic in the HDR options in RDR2? At launch, RDR2's HDR implementation was quite poor, basically "fake" HDR, they patched in the "game" HDR mode some months after to improve things somewhat (it's useable but still not perfect). If you happen to have gamepass, Forza Horizon 4 has an excellent HDR implementation and is a good benchmark as to how good HDR looks on a given TV.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yep, it was all set up correctly, and played nearly a year after launch. Just didn't look good - everything else, whether game or movie, looked fine. Might be interesting to try it on my LG GX now I have it, although the Q90R is a very recent and well-specced TV too.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m in the same boat. It’s a beautiful game, but neither of those HDR settings helped and my TV was in HDR mode every time.

Forza Horizon 4 is the perfect suggestion, it glows.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a cable service thread around here?

I need to find out if “HSD base” is something we can remove from our cable bill and buy cheaper somewhere else, since I just found out we’re paying like $89 a month for it.

I know there’s a “Cutting Cable” thread but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no we aint fuckin doing that dumb poo poo ever

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't HSD high-speed data?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there a cable service thread around here?

I need to find out if “HSD base” is something we can remove from our cable bill and buy cheaper somewhere else, since I just found out we’re paying like $89 a month for it.

I know there’s a “Cutting Cable” thread but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no we aint fuckin doing that dumb poo poo ever

No idea but we finally cut cable for YouTube TV. So... Still spending money and getting the channels we want. Just spending less. You should do it.

Also you didn't provide like ... Any useful information. Who is your provider? What other services do you have or presume to have from them? Have you asked them what that is?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BonoMan posted:

Also you didn't provide like ... Any useful information.

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if this was the thread to ask in so I just kinda stuck to the general question.

BonoMan posted:

Who is your provider?

Suddenlink, aka “Altice” but they still call themselves Suddenlink.

BonoMan posted:

What other services do you have or presume to have from them?

We have cable and internet service through them. We’re thinking about upgrading our internet plan while they still have New Years discounts running, so we’re seeing if we can cheapen our cable cost to facilitate that. It doesn’t show up anywhere on Suddenlink’s website when you go to buy plans on there, though, which seems fishy as gently caress to me but then I don’t have much experience buying cable/internet plans.

It’s also a little weird that Suddenlink’s service plan order checkout thingy doesn’t show you your final price total until after you finish placing your order, which I just discovered yesterday.

BonoMan posted:

Have you asked them what that is?

I did. The lady on the phone described it as being “like the gasoline you use to drive your car”, which...... whatever the hell that means. I asked her if it was a physical thing that we could buy ourselves to save money instead of renting from them and she didn’t give me an answer, although it was an Indian call center so maybe there was a communication issue.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 3, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I. M. Gei posted:

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if this was the thread to ask in so I just kinda stuck to the general question.

Suddenlink, aka “Altice” but they still call themselves Suddenlink.

We have cable and internet service through them. We’re thinking about upgrading our internet plan while they still have New Years discounts running, so we’re seeing if we can cheapen our cable cost to facilitate that. It doesn’t show up anywhere on Suddenlink’s website when you go to buy plans on there, though, which seems fishy as gently caress to me but then I don’t have much experience buying cable/internet plans.

I did. The lady on the phone described it as being “like the gasoline you use to drive your car”, which...... whatever the hell that means. I asked her if it was a physical thing that we could buy ourselves to save money instead of renting from them and she didn’t give me an answer, although it was an Indian call center so maybe there was a communication issue.

Hard to tell, but that's likely you're internet charge (I'm guessing by "base" and her description... she just means it's the minimum high speed internet package). I doubt it's anything physical as I don't think I've ever seen an equipment charge that expensive.

Then again I haven't seen a base internet package that expensive either.

But, this is why we "cut cable"... or rather just moved to streaming live TV. So much more worth it to not have to deal with this kind of poo poo. No hidden fees, taxes, equipment rentals, broadcast charges, etc. Just $80/month for internet and $65/month for YouTubeTV.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't think you get to be this scornfully dismissive of the concept of cutting cable:

I. M. Gei posted:

In the very same post that you admit you're paying over $1,000 annually on some random part of your cable bill that you can't identify

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean let’s be fair, from a consumer point of view the cutting cable concept hasn’t been any massive improvement to the traditional method. Not having to pay for extra STBs is a nice plus, but Xfinity support that with apps anyway. Still the same stuff shoved down the same pipe by mostly the same people.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
A lot of cutting cable is *embrace piracy with a high speed internet connection* Not that I’m blaming anyone for that with how fragmented everything is. I know there are a lot of legit paths that end up saving a little, but almost any real cutting cable discussion involves news groups or steaming sites for sports.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah, the majority of cable cutting is just buying a Roku or an AppleTV and asking your friends/family for their logins.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

American McGay posted:

Nah, the majority of cable cutting is just buying a Roku or an AppleTV and asking your friends/family for their logins.

Yeah, you still end up saving money between sharing log-ins and being aggressive about canceling services when you aren't using them

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm more about watching stuff in much better quality and ad free. That's worth a premium to me over cable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean let’s be fair, from a consumer point of view the cutting cable concept hasn’t been any massive improvement to the traditional method. Not having to pay for extra STBs is a nice plus, but Xfinity support that with apps anyway. Still the same stuff shoved down the same pipe by mostly the same people.

I had been a customer with Xfinity for 13 years when we finally cut it a month ago. And... I am probably the odd man out, but Xfinity had been fine for me performance wise. Stable, very few outages and support was actually just fine. But I needed a better upload speed now that I'm WFH and the pricing just KILLS me. It's constant negotiations with contracts, promotional pricing, at least $40 in "hidden" fees per month, etc. It's just not worth it.

We analyzed YouTubeTV and realized it had all the channels we like (and I subscribe to D+, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax) so it just made sense.

I was a little nervous, but honestly it's been super smooth. My wife gave it glowing praise to my in-laws the other day which is like... a huge win.

I do realize I'm lucky that I get gigabit fiber at $80/month and there's no data cap. So that definitely helps the situation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I pay $130 for uncapped gig fiber and TV with AT&T on my second year. I really only keep the tv package for sport and the fact the tv part means no extra fee for uncapping. I watch pretty much all my tv on plex though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Here's Suddenlink's complete pricing schedule.

I'm guessing that "HSD Base" is High Speed Download Base price, as in the base internet price before any add-ons. Possibly when originally signing up for service, you were in a high speed market and your pricing is still locked in to that. If you're in a gigabit market, you should definitely move to a better package now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I pay $130 for uncapped gig fiber and TV with AT&T on my second year. I really only keep the tv package for sport and the fact the tv part means no extra fee for uncapping. I watch pretty much all my tv on plex though.

YouTube TV has a decent sport package but drat... If you have to keep tv to remain uncapped. That sucks.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Suddenlink is a garbage company made 1000x worse by Altice, but of course their monopoly means I pay $70/mo for 400Mb with a cap :rant:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Caps suck, but 400/400 for $70 sounds really good to me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gigabit is the way. drat shame it can't be the standard.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Caps suck, but 400/400 for $70 sounds really good to me.

It's 400/40 , coax, and unreliable as hell. And good luck getting support!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Oh drat, that sounds terrible.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sorry, I know it's unrelated I just can't miss an opportunity to poo poo on suddenlink because they are just so bad. At an old house, our internet would drop every afternoon for a few hours. After a ton of complaints and finally getting someone out to diagnose, they told us it was just too hot outside for the service to work

I mean, I get it, thermal expansion and transmission line sag is a thing but do you think they tried to fix it or prorate my bill? Nah, just had to deal with it until the peak of summer was over

I could always switch to ATT DSL :shepicide:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Live in a small town where I'm "the guy". Get a call yesterday from one of my regulars, new smart tv for Christmas. It's the second one actually, they couldn't get the first one set up and brought it back. Them being dummies, I thought. It's a 58" Westinghouse Roku dealie, but the problem isn't their fault. I first attributed it to their lovely old 5mbps DSL, maybe the software package couldn't download properly and thus wouldn't install right. The software upgrade all looked fine, downloaded 100%, restarts, back to square one every time. You could just skip the internet setup and use basically as a dumb tv. Figured I'd download the software manually and use a flash drive. The tv doesn't exist on the Westinghouse website or the Roku software site. Just doesn't exist. Told em to go get a Hisense or TCL.

Did I mention they are stupid faithful to their service provider (Bell :negative:) and have an old rear end SD satellite receiver hooked up to their new 4k tv? I keep trying to tell them that it's not a relationship, there's no points for loyalty, but they settle for worthless internet and standard def "because I've been with them for 40 years, if they raise my bill I can call and complain and they will reverse it"
:negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Where in the world can you buy a Westinghouse in Canada?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what

codo27 posted:

Live in a small town where I'm "the guy".

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's the Company Computer Guy for the town keep up