Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't watch the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i wonder how drunk Mike and Jay were watching WW84 because they got so much stuff wrong about a film they presumably only watched in the past week

I'm glad I didn't watch the movie then. I had to stop listening to How Did This Get Made? because it was so irritating when I'd watch the movie beforehand and no one on the podcast would remember any details of it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

luchajones posted:

https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-1984-movie-soundtrack-songs/

"Voi Che Sapete" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is an 80's song i guess

Only 4 of those are 80s songs, two of them are only played in the credits, and one of them is only heard faintly in the background.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The whole backdrop of the movie to me seemed to be about Reagan-era greed and Mando played his dude like an 80s coke-fuelled day trader.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 3, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

every single time the hack frauds called the bad guy Max Power this started playing in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLtn07EBCA

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

super sweet best pal posted:

aside from a few specific things like Barbara at the gym in an 80s workout outfit or fake Reagan

Was that even supposed to be Reagan? It just seemed like generic white dude President man. Nothing about him was particularly Reagan-ish.

Anyway, aside from the cars, the occasional outfit, some set design (but not all, strangely enough) and a few very stilted Cold War references, I agree that they didn't lean very hard into the 80s stuff.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

HerraS posted:

every single time the hack frauds called the bad guy Max Power this started playing in my head

this shouldn't have been in your head in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

Was that even supposed to be Reagan? It just seemed like generic white dude President man. Nothing about him was particularly Reagan-ish.

Anyway, aside from the cars, the occasional outfit, some set design (but not all, strangely enough) and a few very stilted Cold War references, they didn't lean very hard in the 80s stuff.

He wasn't supposed to be Reagan.

HerraS posted:

Disappointed this wasn't a remix of Homer's Max Power song.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

HerraS posted:

Where's a new DDR game when you need one

edit: I was sad they didn't repeat the best joke from that episode. "I got it off a hair dryer."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lol since I finished Mandalorian I decided to watch RLM's Mandalorian review, and Mike goes on at great length about how Boba Fett definitely will be in Season 2, but there's no way he could be played by the guy who played Jango Fett.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Wasn't Pedro Pascal's character in WW84 literally Trump "analogy" but the message became less edgelordy because he lost the election before WW got released?

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Max Lord should have suffered from boneitis

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Galewolf posted:

Wasn't Pedro Pascal's character in WW84 literally Trump "analogy" but the message became less edgelordy because he lost the election before WW got released?

The big problem with making Max Lord Trump is that in the movie he actually loves his son and that's his motivation when in reality Trump has no inner life and loathes his children (apart from maybe Ivanka because she's his idea of hot).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pedro hugged his son at the end so not sure how that was supposed to be Trump

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Galewolf posted:

There's definitely Trump vibes to him but the analogy doesn't really work out beyond some superficial stuff.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

It seems like Trump is "one of the many" influences (sleazy con-man rich guy?) according to the director but not directly.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1345786982694330369?s=21

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I haven't watched the movie but if I had to guess, I'd say the 80s setting is the result of DC wanting to distance WW from the Superman/Justice League movie timeframe so when they do their "well we really bungled this, time to reboot it" Crisis movie, the WW movies can still be canon

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

There's definitely Trump vibes to him but the analogy doesn't really work out beyond some superficial stuff.

There are 80's business stereotypes were based off of Trump but also he was a product of trends of that time. So there's overlap and a chicken/egg situation.

I think you can watch it today and see it as satire of Trump, but also 10 year olds watching the movie for the first time 20 years from now so don't really know who Trump is can watch it and still understand the Scrooge stock character.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Stupid heroes like WW and Superman should only be set in the 50's. They are too lame for the later decades.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

luchajones posted:

Stupid heroes like WW and Superman should only be set in the 50's. They are too lame for the later decades.

Just have them be murder machines. Stupid people eat that poo poo up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mallratcal posted:

Just have them be murder machines. Stupid people eat that poo poo up.

There’s an entire sub-forum here for them!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There’s an entire sub-forum here for them!

lol

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Can you imagine how awkward and embarrassing it would be if the soulless mushmouth IDF child murderer tried to be funny?

Next movie will have a montage of WW showing how to snipe people in a way that doesn't kill them but only results in the amputation of limbs. They'll score the scene with All Star.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I have watched The Gentleman, the newest Guy Ritchie movie, yesterday night as a part of my Covid time-kill activities and it was good. It lacked the energy of early Ritchie movies with slower pacing, certainly, and is much less full of "Bri-ish" -ness but was a good and fun crime movie.

Like, for starters, I could understand everyone talking including Colin Farrel going full on what I can assume as his native Irish combined with South London "oi u having a giggle m8, I'll deck u I swear on me mum" one. Compared to friggin Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch (and, to some degree, RockNRolla) which had like 7% comprehensibility rate across the board.

I'm glad that he paid the price by having to direct Aladdin (apparently a second one is in the works:cripes:) and I love all the actors in it. Colin Farrel is pretty good, Matthew M is okay-ish and the guy played Arthur was quite good.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Galewolf posted:

I have watched The Gentleman, the newest Guy Ritchie movie, yesterday night as a part of my Covid time-kill activities and it was good. It lacked the energy of early Ritchie movies with slower pacing, certainly, and is much less full of "Bri-ish" -ness but was a good and fun crime movie.

Like, for starters, I could understand everyone talking including Colin Farrel going full on what I can assume as his native Irish combined with South London "oi u having a giggle m8, I'll deck u I swear on me mum" one. Compared to friggin Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch (and, to some degree, RockNRolla) which had like 7% comprehensibility rate across the board.

I enjoyed it

:colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aladdin??? Cmon , no way

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gentlemen was okay, but largely completely forgettable. Still think his best work is Snatch and Lock Stock

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

He wasn't supposed to be Reagan.

He wasn't supposed to be, but he was. Lol his first line being like "I'm not sure how I got here or what I was doing"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Galewolf posted:

The story would have a point if the Spanish Trump wish to become the most powerful politician in the world. In stead he just wish to become the wishing stone :what:

I mean I can see a goon wanting to dashing out bad monkey paw wishes for eternity but not Trump.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pedro Pascal played a pastiche of various character archetypes. Trump and sleazy businessmen was one part of it, TV evangelists another etc

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

If Max Lord was Trump then WW was Rosie O'Donnell

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Washed up psycho Diana Prince!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zzulu posted:

Gentlemen was okay, but largely completely forgettable. Still think his best work is Snatch and Lock Stock

Yeah, Snatch is my fav then Lock Stock and I would put his Sherlock films above The Gentlemen but it was fine.

Man I love Snatch though, Brick Top is the best movie gangster boss.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

priznat posted:

Yeah, Snatch is my fav then Lock Stock and I would put his Sherlock films above The Gentlemen but it was fine.

Man I love Snatch though, Brick Top is the best movie gangster boss.

DF will be missed

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dude in Gentlemen had wagyu steaks in his chest freezer. Unforgivable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lister posted:

There are 80's business stereotypes were based off of Trump but also he was a product of trends of that time. So there's overlap and a chicken/egg situation.

I think you can watch it today and see it as satire of Trump, but also 10 year olds watching the movie for the first time 20 years from now so don't really know who Trump is can watch it and still understand the Scrooge stock character.

I hope to live in a future where 10 year olds don't randomly watch mediocre super hero movies from 20 years ago. That's something for adults to do while drunk for youtube videos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I watched the 2019 Matthew McConaughey film Serenity and I think it's the dumbest movie I've ever seen. Not sure how they got these big name or semi-famous actors to sign on to this.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

I watched the 2019 Matthew McConaughey film Serenity and I think it's the dumbest movie I've ever seen. Not sure how they got these big name or semi-famous actors to sign on to this.

Don't listen to this! It was an amazing movie and should be watched monthly!

lies, all of it! It was terrible!!!! DO NOT WATCH

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Galewolf posted:

I was expecting a meticulously detailed, frame by frame analysis of Wonder Woman 84 from the renowned film critics Red Lobster Media. What a bunch of HACK FRAUDS!

Didn't Mike say in the episode that he got bored during the third act and left the movie on in the background while he wandered around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I hope to live in a future where 10 year olds don't randomly watch mediocre super hero movies from 20 years ago. That's something for adults to do while drunk for youtube videos.

They’re going to be introduced to stuff by their parents, but I can guarantee no one is going to remember WW84 fondly