Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's finally here officially!

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1000/chapter/21815?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'I'm going to become the Pirate King!'

1000 chapters on and the weight of those words are still there, if not heavier.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think what really hits me hard about this chapter is that there's nowhere to run. They've ran from Big Mom before, and Luffy's survived Kaido before - but this time, there's no jail, there's no ship, there's no escape if things turn sour. It really is do or die for our boys.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also this is low-hanging fruit as far predictions go but I take my victories where I can find 'em:

Pureauthor posted:

1000 is going to be Luffy reaching the roof to see Kaidou looming over the defeated Scabbards.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also in case you missed it, there's a 42 page special chapter about Sanji done by the Food Wars Mangaja

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008361

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im just so curious about what luffy said

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Man, I feel like the faces and angles in this chapter were next level. Like Oda was really pushing himself. Terrific chapter.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Bleck posted:

I think what really hits me hard about this chapter is that there's nowhere to run. They've ran from Big Mom before, and Luffy's survived Kaido before - but this time, there's no jail, there's no ship, there's no escape if things turn sour. It really is do or die for our boys.

Of course there are places to run. There are enough mobility devil fruit users to get the major players to safety if needed. Luffy himself could cushion a fall to land for many of his allies if needed. Chopper, Sanji, and Robin too. Plus there's Marco, Law, and possibly Yamato, Momo, Nami (if she got Zeus back) and Usopp (if he has a suitable pop green).

That said, I really don't see the story going there at this point, despite the kabuki theatre parallels.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also, the worldwide popularity poll to vote for your favorite One Piece character is now live: https://onepiecewt100.com/en/vote

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Luffy's ready, ya'll. He's gonna do this. I'm so hyped.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"I have nothing to show Lord Oden but my shame" is such a good line, and much better than the scanlations.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Didn't realize Yamato is dying. Look at Aces card he is holding. It's already burning at the corner.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Julias posted:

Also, the worldwide popularity poll to vote for your favorite One Piece character is now live: https://onepiecewt100.com/en/vote

dang everyone is here

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

jassa posted:

Of course there are places to run. There are enough mobility devil fruit users to get the major players to safety if needed. Luffy himself could cushion a fall to land for many of his allies if needed. Chopper, Sanji, and Robin too. Plus there's Marco, Law, and possibly Yamato, Momo, Nami (if she got Zeus back) and Usopp (if he has a suitable pop green).

That said, I really don't see the story going there at this point, despite the kabuki theatre parallels.
They’re on a floating rock that’s about to be dropped onto the capital of Wano. Nowhere to go now!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"I have nothing to show Lord Oden but my shame" is such a good line, and much better than the scanlations.
:yeah: , that and the “Will you put Wano on your back?” line are incredibly evocative. Goes great with that centre-spread of memories from Zou/Wano so far.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

oddium posted:

dang everyone is here

It is incredibly complete. Also very strict about being based on when characters were first introduced. I clicked into Skypiea and was surprised to see like the Five Elder Stars and Doflamingo in there, but they technically first appeared during that arc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Voted Chopper :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

Didn't realize Yamato is dying. Look at Aces card he is holding. It's already burning at the corner.

are you talking about this

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 3, 2021

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Folks, I think this Luffy guy has what it takes to be king of the pirates

tbp posted:

im just so curious about what luffy said

Yeah, it can’t just be “I want to be king of the pirates” plenty of others have said that. Maybe “I want to be the freest person in the world/free to do what I want” (implied opposition to the WG would be shocking)? Or I liked the idea that he wanted to unite the worlds oceans, although I guess the point against that is that Luffy doesn’t think that far ahead :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I voted for Luffy :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cat Machine posted:

A solid choice :hmmyes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Yeah, it can’t just be “I want to be king of the pirates” plenty of others have said that. Maybe “I want to be the freest person in the world/free to do what I want” (implied opposition to the WG would be shocking)? Or I liked the idea that he wanted to unite the worlds oceans, although I guess the point against that is that Luffy doesn’t think that far ahead :v:

have i completely missed something here

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

oddium posted:

are you talking about this

Yeah. I'm assuming he's holding Yamato's card. And Yamato is holding his.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he's holding his own card which yamato made for him and he gave a piece of it to yamato

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

have i completely missed something here

It's refering to these moments

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also a note about the worldwide vote: you can vote once per day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julias posted:

It's refering to these moments

seems pretty obvious to me that its pirate king, an idea that didn't exist before roger

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Voted Franky, the cool uncle of the crew.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

y'all know what the gently caress it is

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

oddium posted:

he's holding his own card which yamato made for him and he gave a piece of it to yamato

Pieces don't fit and it's very Oda to misdirect something in plain sight. Why isn't he holding the exposed side up clearly like he is?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 9, 2021

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the Hot Characters of the Day by region are v interesting

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bentham?

wtf

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh, I had watched the anime up until Punk Hazard and hasn't realized there had been a cover story that showed Bon Clay was alive. thank goodness. thank you, Oda

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Andrast posted:

Bentham?

wtf
Real name learned it back in the cover story. Mr 3 is Galdino for another example

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Julias posted:

For those who dont like spoilers, see you in 8 days :sadwave:
We're back!

Cat Machine posted:

:hf:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

jassa posted:

Luffy himself could cushion a fall to land for many of his allies if needed. Chopper, Sanji, and Robin too. Plus there's Marco, Law, and possibly Yamato, Momo, Nami (if she got Zeus back) and Usopp (if he has a suitable pop green).

Reminder; Onigashima is not on the Wano mainland. Right now, they're floating over the ocean.

All of the possibilities here would involve DF users jumping into the ocean, or trying to fly away from Kaido and Big Mom.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Philosopher King posted:

Yeah. I'm assuming he's holding Yamato's card. And Yamato is holding his.

No he’s holding his full card and Yamato has a piece of it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chapter 1000 is amazing. Luffy is amazing. Oda is amazing. One Piece is amazing.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jose posted:

seems pretty obvious to me that its pirate king, an idea that didn't exist before roger

Official tn strongly implies imo it's something different with Ace's line "That's at the end of my little brother's dream!". Sounds like Luffy has big plans for after he becomes the pirate king.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I've been really impressed with how long Big Mom has been an active antagonist for multiple arcs now, while never making her seem less threatening; despite the Straw Hats managing to escape or out maneuver her a couple times, she's still a terrifying monster.

So I was kinda batting around the idea in my own head it'd be neat how with Big Mom, she ends up kinda defeating herself in her chasing of Luffy. Like a really long war of attrition. Ignoring her own kingdom to the point it begins to fall into ruin. Seems a bit thematically appropriate given the flavour of greed her character represents, obsessing over defeating Luffy to the point she loses everything else.

But the way this chapter ended it? Nah. The last line really hits it home; Luffy needs to surpass both of them right now, to be capable of being King of the Pirates. This is where he'll be firmly placed on the same level as an individual Yonko. And break both Kaido and Big Mom's own dreams of reaching One Piece.

They're both getting punched so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oda is masterful at redeeming characters that you hate (Bon Clay :discourse: ) and making really hateful villains some of the most despicable pieces of poo poo imaginable and have no chance of redemption ever as well.

I hope Big Mom loving dies is what I'm saying.

edit: not by Luffy's hand though.