Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Lets use this thread to talk about workouts and working out in general, I've seen a few references to trying to stay active during covid and I'd personally benefit from a thread to keep me accountable and motivated.

I personally have a few different workouts I enjoy: running, lifting and boxing. My running regimen is mostly unchanged, but lifting and boxing are obviously impacted. For people in the Seattle area (or even if you aren't... its all virtual right now) I highly recommend Seattle Boxing Gym. The coaches are friendly and very welcoming of new comers, if anyone is interested in boxing or just a good workout (which is all I use it for, I don't spar) they're great.

For lifting I'm pretty out of luck, you can go to personal trainers here but of course gyms are closed and exercise equipment is difficult to obtain at the moment, even if you have a place for it.

I'd also recommend some kind of heart rate tracker, I use a MyZone MZ-3 to monitor my heart, it uploads your workouts and sets goals, etc. Its all very silly, but its great for motivation. Classes and heart rate monitors are good tools for keeping you on track, at least once a week I'll sign up for a workout when I'm not in the mood intending to half rear end it, only to find myself getting into it about half way through.

What's everyone else into? I didn't really have a megathread in mind since I'm not an expert in anything (except bad posts!) just a place to chat about health and fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i’ve been getting out and walking or
running the 3 mile loop road around my neighborhood every day since april. missed a few due to pouring rain and i’m going to get more of that in the coming weeks so i also have the ring fit thing for the switch, which completely destroys me with squats every time i use it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Resistance bands with a door anchor are pretty good if you're looking for a cheap replacement for free weights or just something a lot more compact/portable for your apartment. It's what I have been doing for the last couple of months and it feels great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AwbSQeUX0s

e: oxsnard has some pretty decent posts on the subject in the cspam fitness thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871067&userid=43092&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to do strength training and it’s very good except I am very bad at doing it. I hosed my knee a wee bit back but that’s no excuse to do bench’s etc

Once ages ago I used to push up app to get me to do more pushups. That was good.

The biggest challenge is that as soon as I start to feel heat and sweat wanting to break out, my soul cries out to stop. Pushing through that is hard. Pushing yourself is hard. I see some people “like” it but idgi

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I want to start biking again in spring but I can already feel my inability to follow routines loving me over, also planning on some mountain hiking in march, for now I'm just running around forests shooting airsoft guns few times a month and walking everywhere instead of using car or public transport, not much but it's something, right?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i got this stupid watch in february to finally track my average mileage on a bike. i’m the least strava person ever but i’ve been going on for years about how due to my jobs and lifestyle i usually clock 20-30 miles a day on a bike in a non covid world. this was supposed to be an end of year cool graph

obviously that didn’t happen but i’m still quietly impressed that i’ve been able to average 9 miles a day basically since the pandemic started.

it’s been fun mileage tracking when i remember and i am generally feeling pretty ok fitness wise even if i’m not biking as intensely

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I really need to get back into cycling. I used to go for some short rides during the weekends but that changed once it got cold.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i think i’ll buy some appropriate clothes and resume cycling before spring. not like snow is more than a distant memory now :smith:

it’s really hard to outexercise a garbage diet so i look forward to still slowly inflating over the course of the year.
i managed to lose 30 kg after high school and now after getting my first desk job and graduating university i’ve regained over 10 kg and well on track to gain more.
none of the clothes i used to wear fit me, so i just wear sweatpants and plain tees all day, every day. at least it doesn’t matter how i dress because i only leave to get groceries.
i tried counting calories but what difference does it make that i know how much i went over my limit every day if i’m unable to stop overeating? something flipped in me because i used to be able to actually restrict myself somewhat.
this is more e/n and diet than exercise but whatever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I do a lot of walking now, but I'll be back to failing at lifting weights at the gym as soon as we get a critical mass of vaccinated people

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Fatal Error posted:

i think i’ll buy some appropriate clothes and resume cycling before spring. not like snow is more than a distant memory now :smith:

it’s really hard to outexercise a garbage diet so i look forward to still slowly inflating over the course of the year.
i managed to lose 30 kg after high school and now after getting my first desk job and graduating university i’ve regained over 10 kg and well on track to gain more.
none of the clothes i used to wear fit me, so i just wear sweatpants and plain tees all day, every day. at least it doesn’t matter how i dress because i only leave to get groceries.
i tried counting calories but what difference does it make that i know how much i went over my limit every day if i’m unable to stop overeating? something flipped in me because i used to be able to actually restrict myself somewhat.
this is more e/n and diet than exercise but whatever.

ok so i fixed this by increasing the amount of exercise i do by a fuckton. way i see it now i get to eat whatever the gently caress i want whenever i want. its a little harder during covid but in the Before TImes, I'd regularly eat 4-6k calories a day because that's how much I was exercising between my job and wanting to get into shape. mostly my job though and it rules to get paid to get in shape.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

during peak season I can eat an entire rotisserie chicken in one sitting and it rules

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i will do the straps lest i die alone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

run 4 mi 3x a week, lift 3x a week. still a fatass

i wish the earth would open up and swallow all cyclists into hell

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Resistance bands with a door anchor are pretty good if you're looking for a cheap replacement for free weights or just something a lot more compact/portable for your apartment. It's what I have been doing for the last couple of months and it feels great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AwbSQeUX0s

e: oxsnard has some pretty decent posts on the subject in the cspam fitness thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871067&userid=43092&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Oh I might check this out, I just hate working out at home so much I need a dedicated place to get in the right mindset

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I used to do strength training and it’s very good except I am very bad at doing it. I hosed my knee a wee bit back but that’s no excuse to do bench’s etc

Once ages ago I used to push up app to get me to do more pushups. That was good.

The biggest challenge is that as soon as I start to feel heat and sweat wanting to break out, my soul cries out to stop. Pushing through that is hard. Pushing yourself is hard. I see some people “like” it but idgi

I thought I had messed up my knee for awhile until I got a trainer to help me with squats, it would be the strangest pain, pretty mild all things considered but it would keep me from trying to press through it since I figured it would only get worse, but with better warm ups and some tips about my form I was able to get past it.

As for pushing yourself I have the same problem, I never go as hard with solo workouts. Classes have been a godsend, just that slight social pressure of an instructor telling you to hang in there, or your classmates doing the work so you can to is enough to keep me going

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i wish the earth would open up and swallow all cyclists into hell

same

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wtf can the mods ban the mini shaggers itc? tia

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I'm in, i use to hit the Y three days a week and do laps for 30 mins twice a week. Wife and I started doing Les Mills thing at home which is good for cardio but stopped cause Fall and 2020 malaise, hoping to start back up this month.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i bought these resistance bands (there are a million different equivalents on amazon) and they're thick enough that I feel confident they aren't going to break anytime soon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1823XB

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Before the pandemic I went through a medical weight loss program and lost close to 100 lbs. Then eventually I got sick of staying inside and barely doing anything and started walking. I eventually got up to 6 miles, but my knees started killing me (being in my mid 50s and then going up and down the hills in San Francisco will do that). I slowed down on the walking but then finally was able to get Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch and gat drat I love this game. I started at doing 15 minutes a day to almost 2 hours when I was really motivated. For something you would think is simple it really keeps me going with the diversity of exercises and can be a lot more difficult than I expected.

edit: I use an apple watch to keep track of everything as well and recently I signed up for Apple Fitness + and am going to get on that for some more diversity as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the lockdown has kept me from squating. i instead started doing single legged squats and upside down push ups to stay in at least the same reps/weight. but a buddy was selling their bench combo thing, and then that got me looking at squat racks. i have room in the basment and a squat rack is like $250, then the oly bar, then 6 pairs of 45lb plates, thats like $6-700... which is less than a half of a years gym membership.

imagine, pumping out a full weight squat at 1 in the morning when u cant fall asleep, or at noon when you are in a bad mood

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

AnimeIsTrash posted:

wtf can the mods ban the mini shaggers itc? tia

lol i am the antithesis of shaggar

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

lol i am the antithesis of shaggar
just use your regular account cremnob

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

the lockdown has kept me from squating. i instead started doing single legged squats and upside down push ups to stay in at least the same reps/weight. but a buddy was selling their bench combo thing, and then that got me looking at squat racks. i have room in the basment and a squat rack is like $250, then the oly bar, then 6 pairs of 45lb plates, thats like $6-700... which is less than a half of a years gym membership.

imagine, pumping out a full weight squat at 1 in the morning when u cant fall asleep, or at noon when you are in a bad mood

That would be badass. Weight prices are insane right now though :( I've been shopping around for a heavybag for my basement, the virtual classes have us mostly shadow box but the impact of the bag is really therapeutic and satisfying. Lotta crap out there though I don't know what makes for a good bag, if I should fill it myself, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i know this is quite frowned upon around here but i really want a tonal.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ADINSX posted:

I thought I had messed up my knee for awhile until I got a trainer to help me with squats, it would be the strangest pain, pretty mild all things considered but it would keep me from trying to press through it since I figured it would only get worse, but with better warm ups and some tips about my form I was able to get past it.

As for pushing yourself I have the same problem, I never go as hard with solo workouts. Classes have been a godsend, just that slight social pressure of an instructor telling you to hang in there, or your classmates doing the work so you can to is enough to keep me going

hmm I feel ya about the classes, as well as simply having a buddy or basically not just your own self determination as the sole backstop

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ADINSX posted:

That would be badass. Weight prices are insane right now though :( I've been shopping around for a heavybag for my basement, the virtual classes have us mostly shadow box but the impact of the bag is really therapeutic and satisfying. Lotta crap out there though I don't know what makes for a good bag, if I should fill it myself, etc.
i dont wanna reveal the secret, but i sourced plates from a local fitness store and thy were like 1.50/lb. they only had 2 plates but there are 3 stores soooooo

im what you would call 'strong fat' btw, just clarifiyng my fitness level

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 4, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Power-Squat/dp/B081S9FC5X/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KPRMPFNY4CKX7VDRM2YY

this is for another thread, but a purchase coming tomorrow is this. this is how ive kept sane during lockdown. exercise and nerd music

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lockdown finally got me to get some stuff for my apartment, god i was getting tired of not knowing of the shared apartment gym would be occupied, or something would be broken

looking forward to getting back into running once it's warm again but at least now i don't have to force myself out for a walk every single day regardless of heavy snow or bitter cold

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a full squat cage where when i moved in. sold it about a year later

what was lame was that I had a small squat rack thing a bit like that, and was squatting 5x5x100kg by the end of it

and when i got the proper cage, I lost all steam and barelyt used it. what a loser

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i've gotten pretty unfit after falling off the wagon during a long bout of depression. walking the dog hasn't been enough impact to do much. i've been running since the fall a few times a week but we got a concept 2 for christmas.

i always liked rowing more than running or cycling. got a good heart rate monitor and looking forward to getting some actual aerobic capacity and my resting heart rate back down to something healthy.

should probably do some sort of lifting too i guess.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ADINSX posted:

I'm sure you already checked but there were some decent deals on workout equipment on craiglist/facebook marketplace. Some dude was selling a used olympic set for a real good price but he was down in tacoma :(

ADINSX posted:

Oh I might check this out, I just hate working out at home so much I need a dedicated place to get in the right mindset

It's a pretty cheap investment compared to other workout stuff so I figured even if I end up dropping it i'm not losing that much. Also if gyms even open up it's always nice to supplement lifting with bands.

I have my bag just sitting in the living room which I walk by often and it's eliminated a lot of the skipping I used to do.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 4, 2021

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

working out and being fit is good. workout fasted, eat lots of red meat and limit your wine. stop doing barbell bench and use dumbells instead. good luck computer touchers.

i have started doing daily beginner bodyweight thing as a challenge since my gym closed I've been lazy af. this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1D_F1YfoE

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

god i'm tired of being completely restricted in what i can have in terms of lifting gear by dint of not owning a house

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this Winter break between Christmas and today I started slacking, getting hosed up playing video games a bunch and not mixing in working out. I finally jogged and lifted... Then on new years day I slipped and fell down my front stairs like this. JUST like this Looks like just soft tissue trauma but holy poo poo I couldn't lift a weight today like I had planned, in order to keep up momentum
https://i.imgur.com/3seW34y.mp4
like someone took a bat to my right love handle

then I have an unrelated surgery this week....

I should order the poo poo now while I'm down so when I come back up I can just leap on it and get back in the flow of it I think.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1E5CfRfos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

god i'm tired of being completely restricted in what i can have in terms of lifting gear by dint of not owning a house

https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Using-Survival-Strength/dp/0938045768

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

:(

I used to do powerlifting 3x a week for like 2-3 years, then haven't been able to go to the gym since march because of the novel coronavirus. I ordered some bands and poo poo, but it's nothing compared to a real barbell. all my gains lost like tears in rain

edit; now just doing like a million push ups, but just bodyweight isn't great :/

Pardot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I do a lil bit of working out for weights I made some heavy sandbags to mess around with. I have a fancy 65lb one with a bunch handles and such, I mostly use it to do get-ups and over head presses. I have a big 120lb one that I do squats with. and two 100lb ones with big wrap around handles that I use for farmers walks. After that I do mostly bodyweight stuff, like push-ups and pul ups and dips. I also have a tire that I hit with a sledgehammer sometimes.

I used to go to a gym like a normal person, and I miss being able to do short workouts with heavy weights rather than big long sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Zaxxon posted:

I do a lil bit of working out for weights I made some heavy sandbags to mess around with. I have a fancy 65lb one with a bunch handles and such, I mostly use it to do get-ups and over head presses. I have a big 120lb one that I do squats with. and two 100lb ones with big wrap around handles that I use for farmers walks. After that I do mostly bodyweight stuff, like push-ups and pul ups and dips. I also have a tire that I hit with a sledgehammer sometimes.

I used to go to a gym like a normal person, and I miss being able to do short workouts with heavy weights rather than big long sets.

I totally forgot about sandbags. I used to go to a crossfit gym and we did various things with bags, toss them over our shoulder, shoulder presses, etc