Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Polka!?
https://twitter.com/omarupolka/status/1345680470218997768

Oh no, Reine found it
https://twitter.com/omarupolka/status/1345682834334179328

Well, at least NSFW twitter hasn't foun-
https://twitter.com/hews__/status/1345799734783430657
Oh.

Edit: Wow. Awful post to start page 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Happy birthday, Uto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6gtdQQZY0

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Hahah the beginning of Ina's drawing stream has been co-opted by her gacha addiction

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Yinlock posted:

oh god ame's Thicc drawings have breached containment in the meme review

What is the origin of the dog butt thing? I am way out of the loop on that.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

NomChompsky posted:

What is the origin of the dog butt thing? I am way out of the loop on that.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mcnuggies

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

She was really worried about how taking three days off will affect her channel growth, this is a pretty blessed solution

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEguXrDsogQ&t=11804s

The moment miko started panicking that youtube-kun might ban her from her yakuza 0 stream

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 3, 2021

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Many thanks.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

Lyer posted:

Hahah the beginning of Ina's drawing stream has been co-opted by her gacha addiction

I was actually doing in the Gesture Drawing with her, so I laughed when this happened

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mahoriru/status/1345641880306896896

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Dark Souls natural!

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Get that duck a timeslot at GamesDoneQuick

Actually hold on, when will we see the first vtuber at a GDQ and no TASbot does not count

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Evo Moment #23

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HMS Beagle posted:

Evo Moment #23

Didn't know the number but that's exactly what I was thinking.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Subaru in 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w2Srw4YBXc

Subaru in 2021:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Mn2cY-SgA

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone for the love of god, tell Ina or someone to talk to Subaru about inventory management because her inventory is always filling up

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Roberu 100k stream reminded me of something I was feeling when I found out about Hololive originally. Basically every Hololive channel has enough subs and engagement for the person running it to make a living solely as a Youtuber, if they were an independent Youtuber. But obviously Holostars and some of the smaller channels aren't considered as successful despite doing way better than 99% of people's attempts to "make it" as an internet content producer.

I've seen a lot of people respond to Cover's bad handling of various situations by saying that no one needs Cover/Hololive and that all they do is take most of your money without providing any benefit. But that just seems incredibly naive. A decent singer is almost never going to go from just uploading their songs to Bandcamp to being on top 40 lists without going through the various giant entities around music production and promotions. Sure, there are people on Youtube who just make videos of them playing video games and streaming that make it into a living, but trying to do it as a total nobody with no starting fanbase is going to get you nowhere compared to even the smallest Hololive members. And the argument is always that "anyone who is talented enough to pass Cover's interview process is talented enough to draw their own huge following without Cover," but that's just not how the entertainment industry works.

I don't know that I'm really going anywhere with this, it's just sort of disparaging that Youtube is sort of meant as a "anyone can make videos and get a viewerbase if they're good" but of course having a giant corporation behind you will always give you a huge advantage no matter how badly the corporation actually bungles things.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 4, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
While I agree with your main point, I don't know that I'd call Cover a "giant corporation".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That’s something video games learned a long time ago. Around the mid-2000s with Xbox Live Arcade exploding there was a push from some people that publishers were unnecessary. Then as more people got into the space everyone realised they needed the media connections and power a publisher could bring to get noticed so dedicated indie game publishers like Team 17 and Devolver started to get big. Same reason a lot of big name Youtubers are signed to talent agencies to promote them.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Heck even some indie vtubers have banded together to form their own group/agency because it just helps things. I found a couple new faves from a vtuber signed in a minor agency even

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ultima66 posted:

The Roberu 100k stream reminded me of something I was feeling when I found out about Hololive originally. Basically every Hololive channel has enough subs and engagement for the person running it to make a living solely as a Youtuber, if they were an independent Youtuber. But obviously Holostars and some of the smaller channels aren't considered as successful despite doing way better than 99% of people's attempts to "make it" as an internet content producer.

I've seen a lot of people respond to Cover's bad handling of various situations by saying that no one needs Cover/Hololive and that all they do is take most of your money without providing any benefit. But that just seems incredibly naive. A decent singer is almost never going to go from just uploading their songs to Bandcamp to being on top 40 lists without going through the various giant entities around music production and promotions. Sure, there are people on Youtube who just make videos of them playing video games and streaming that make it into a living, but trying to do it as a total nobody with no starting fanbase is going to get you nowhere compared to even the smallest Hololive members. And the argument is always that "anyone who is talented enough to pass Cover's interview process is talented enough to draw their own huge following without Cover," but that's just not how the entertainment industry works.

I don't know that I'm really going anywhere with this, it's just sort of disparaging that Youtube is sort of meant as a "anyone can make videos and get a viewerbase if they're good" but of course having a giant corporation behind you will always give you a huge advantage no matter how badly the corporation actually bungles things.

previous identity crap: watson's a great example of this, her previous identity was the exact same gremlin, but to an audience of a few dozen. then she signs up with hololive and gets an audience of hundreds of thousands instantly

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Lily Catts posted:

Heck even some indie vtubers have banded together to form their own group/agency because it just helps things. I found a couple new faves from a vtuber signed in a minor agency even

And VOMS is essentially a grouping of indies with the same designer, and even then both Gyari and the regular collabs between them benefits the group pretty nicely.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
In an ideal world talent would rise up naturally, but since we live in a hell world it doesn't work that way all the time. Without an agency like Cover you need the timing and luck factor to get noticed by enough people for the algorithms to kick in and get you out to the casual people. Cover basically gives you entry into the algorithm.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Yeah of course, that's just the way people and popularity works. Even on the top, a big name like Mito is 100% what a western audience would like, but because Nijisanji hasn't blown up in outside of Japan the way Hololive has, her sub count isn't anywhere close to the top of Hololive.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDjKE3HVPJk

Coco's getting back into Terraria, in 1hr and half.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

There's also a lot of smaller advantages that a lot of people don't really think about when trying to compare these things.

One of the biggest hurdles in independent content creation on both Twitch and Youtube is the fact that you need to maintain a constant upload/stream schedule, especially when starting out, otherwise you risk whatever small audience you scrape together moving on to something else. You hear all these stories about people streaming long hours 5-6 days a week without time off or trying to maintain absolute nuts upload schedules which naturally end up with low effort content.

When you're part of an organization you have the freedom to take a break for personal or medical reasons, and there's a group of associates there keeping the fans warm and hyping your return. We saw this with Miko, Mio, Haachama and Coco this year where for various reasons they could not stream but the rest of Hololive kept up crowd attention for them. An Independent suffering a 3 week or more break would be putting their channel at great risk unless they were already firmly established.

There's also just the ease of having easy access to a group of people to collab with to increase your exposure to other audiences. There's a lot less steps you have to take when you're working under the same banner and hell there's probably someone else in the org who takes it upon themselves to drag you kicking and screaming into them like Mio.

A lot of detractors only really see the 30-35-35 Youtube-Cover-Talent split and think they should be getting more (Which to be fair the talents should probably get more after Youtube takes it's cut) without really thinking that the money goes towards all the behind the scenes stuff that makes this work. Lawyers, Artists, Riggers, Tech support, 3D studio upkeep, and even those big lives need an upfront investment of hard capital before they can start recouping costs from ticket sales. And if anything from what we see of Cover they're more than willing to front the costs when it comes to stuff like singing and dancing lessons as well so it's not like they're not re-investing back into the talents.

I also don't really know where I'm going with this and I'm sorry about the wall of text. I guess it's just something that annoys me everytime I see it one Reddit or Youtube comments.

Kata-Haro fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 4, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trihugger posted:

Yeah of course, that's just the way people and popularity works. Even on the top, a big name like Mito is 100% what a western audience would like, but because Nijisanji hasn't blown up in outside of Japan the way Hololive has, her sub count isn't anywhere close to the top of Hololive.

Mito is great but, by checking the performance of the different hololive channels and so on it seems like the western audience is not as fixated in raunchy stuff as one might think, and that's probably one reason why the "clean" virtual "idol" agency has been so successful. Sure, there is Coco but she's an exception among exceptions but Korone, Pekora, and to a lesser extent FBK and Rushia are extremely popular among the foreigner-bro viewers and they are usually pretty clean. Marine gets clipped a lot but her viewership is mostly JP dudes (which is logical since her streams are talk heavy), Miko just likes the ladies, and the other one that gets a lot of clips, Subaru. is the cleanest of them all.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wudz posted:

Get that duck a timeslot at GamesDoneQuick

Actually hold on, when will we see the first vtuber at a GDQ and no TASbot does not count

GamesDoneQuack, surely

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mito is no less raunchy than Nyanners. Nijisanji is just really, really a japanese thing and their attempts at trying to go western has been middling at best. They made an official Niji-clips channel and no one really cares that much relative fan hololive channels.

And their first "attempt" at an EN branch by just relabeling their failing India branch was one of the biggest missteps ever.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tae posted:

And their first "attempt" at an EN branch by just relabeling their failing India branch was one of the biggest missteps ever.

biggest ever? did it even damage anything, or was it just a swing and a miss?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Patware posted:

biggest ever? did it even damage anything, or was it just a swing and a miss?

We won't know for sure until the new NijiEN comes out but it may've damaged the brand. It definitely hurt NijiIN, at least.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I doubt it hurt Nijisanji IN more so than just didn't do anything for them, I'd bet most people's opinion is still 'who are these people' more than any like, drama.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Asterite34 posted:

GamesDoneQuack, surely

:eyepop:

Speaking Nyanners and raunch, they played some Jackbox games for on new years and made some shirts
https://twitter.com/Shalen_Found/status/1345219435074871297

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think Hana Maccia is still the most EN visible member of Nijisanji? But she's by far the most western in style since she was introduced to streaming via Vinesauce and her dad watched TwoBestFriendsPlay.

That said, there's something impressive in how Lulu is still able to keep her voice calm despite so much suffering in Jump King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecLLyAreRGI

As Getting Over It Shows, almost no other VTuber could avoid tilting after that much lost progress.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 4, 2021

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Sometimes the tracking software breaks at the perfect time...

She was stuck like that for a good 20 seconds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4KGtNoeUYw

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The absolute state of EN fitness:

https://twitter.com/chrone_co/status/1345599145797533696

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kyte posted:

We won't know for sure until the new NijiEN comes out but it may've damaged the brand. It definitely hurt NijiIN, at least.

it definitely didn't damage the Nijisanji brand in the EN market. i don't think most people even know it happened and they barely promoted the switch. you can't break a window with a rock if the window doesn't have any glass in it to begin with

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
is there like, a sanctioned spot for recommending games for them to play

specifically I think sexy brutale would be up Ame's ally but I wouldn't want to be rude or pushy or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6t5JxQC2sA

Coco makes sure the fridge is always stocked with her (not)wife's favorite ice cream.