Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Nomad: In The Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My goal for this year is to see more movies in the cinema than last year.

12 months left for a single movie, it might be feasible!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Is there a movie that uses artifacting/pixelating in the visuals to show signs of mental anguish? There's internet stuff but I can't think of a film that does it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BisonDollah posted:

Is there a movie that uses artifacting/pixelating in the visuals to show signs of mental anguish? There's internet stuff but I can't think of a film that does it.

Not sure about your specific question and you've probably seen it, but the music video for Chairlift's Evident Utensil uses this in a really cool way (holy poo poo this is from 2009, I'm old...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They use stuff like that to show that the ghost is ghosting about in Unfriended

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watching Yojimbo. This reminds me a lot of one of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, though that may just be samurai and westerns having a lot in common.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Roth posted:

Watching Yojimbo. This reminds me a lot of one of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, though that may just be samurai and westerns having a lot in common.

Actually, A Fistful of Dollars is based directly on Yojimbo, though Leone denies it. This has been the subject of legal action before!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anonymous Robot posted:

Actually, A Fistful of Dollars is based directly on Yojimbo, though Leone denies it. This has been the subject of legal action before!

I couldn't be certain since I haven't seen any of the Dollars trilogy since high school

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Klowner posted:

I need a list of the good 2020 films please

Mayor is still in a bunch of theaters’ virtual screening rooms

https://youtu.be/p-EVtSZ9-fA

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yojimbo was apparently heavily inspired by the 1942 film noir classic The Glass Key (based on the Dashiell Hammett novel. Whose other novel Red Harvest actually has a much more similar plot to the film and is a possible influence ) and Kurosawa was heavily influenced by John Ford's westerns. Which is why some of Kurosawa's contemporaries in Japan dismissed him as being "too Western"

Fistful of Dollars is basically a unlicensed remake of Yojimbo but Leone's style is strong enough that it manages to be it's own thing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Bruce Willis movie Last Man Standing is essentially a remake of YoJimbo and A Fistful of Dollars., except that it is set during prohibition so it reaches back to the original novel as well.

Good performances from Willis, Bruce Dern, David Patrick Kelly, and Christopher Walken.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It kind of blew my mind when I watched seven samurai for the first time and realized independently that a bug's life was literally based on kurosawa

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Best 2020 movies, vaguely ordered:
Babyteeth
Queen and Slim
Uncut Gems
The Lighthouse
The Invisible Man
Honey Boy

Honourable mentions, i.e. stuff that came out in 2019 but was hard to find:
Beanpole AKA Dylda
The Vast of Night
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
The glitchy technique used that Chairlift video is a super cool process called datamoshing. One of the pioneeeing artists of datsmoshing is a guy named Takeshi Murata. Here’s a piece of his called ‘Monster Movie’ that really blew my mind when I saw it in college:

https://youtu.be/t1f3St51S9I

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

Best 2020 movies, vaguely ordered:
Babyteeth
Queen and Slim
Uncut Gems
The Lighthouse
The Invisible Man
Honey Boy

Almost all of these are 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was my top 20 films for 2020, obv didn’t get to see as much as usual so there’s some big omissions and also some stuff that wouldn’t have made it in in any other year creeping in, but hopefully it’s some help for some of you:

20. Birds of Prey
19. Tenet
18. Bad Trip
17. Bill & Ted Face the Music
16. The Invisible Man
15. The Trial of the Chicago 7
14. She Dies Tomorrow
13. The Broken Hearts Gallery
12. Soul
11. Kajillionaire
10. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
09. The Assistant
08. Driveways
07. Palm Springs
06. First Cow
05. Nomadland
04. Mank
03. Small Axe (didn’t want to split them all up, plus I think the whole is greater than the sum of their parts anyway)
02. David Byrne’s American Utopia
01. I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Main things I didn’t get to see: Minari, Promising Young Woman, Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The only good movies actually released in 2020 were Tremors 6 and Mobile Suit Gundam Reconguista in G 2: Bellri's Fierce Charge

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress tremors 6 for killing burt gummer

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have Soul at the top of 2020 for me right now purely because I barely saw anything that came out last year.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Escobarbarian posted:

Almost all of these are 2019

:australia:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was Little Women 2020 or late 2019. That was probably the best movie I saw last year, if it doesn't count then I think it defaults to Birds of Prey, lol.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Was Little Women 2020 or late 2019. That was probably the best movie I saw last year, if it doesn't count then I think it defaults to Birds of Prey, lol.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

JazzFlight posted:

Not sure about your specific question and you've probably seen it, but the music video for Chairlift's Evident Utensil uses this in a really cool way (holy poo poo this is from 2009, I'm old...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

This is very cool and exactly what I had in mind. I wonder how they made it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BisonDollah posted:

Following up JazzFlight's suggestion with the music video for "Welcome to Heartbreak":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMH0e8kIZtE

There's also the kid in Wreck-It Ralph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J17gmTbHOvM

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I saw a clip of Clint Eastwood talking about a Fistful of Dollars and his comment on the movie was that as soon as he read the script he said "This is the Yojimbo saga.".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, it's beat for beat the exact same story.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

BisonDollah posted:

The last sequence of Color Out of Space is probably my favorite use of this. Not so much "mental anguish" as much at is used to show madness and reality bending.

It is incredible. The first time I watched this movie I was on acid and this sequence was...whew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyKbEFNQg8c

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How can you forget Sonic the Hedgehog

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm gonna have to hunker down and see some of the more acclaimed films of 2020 because I'd barely caught up with 2019 when theaters shut down.

Like I hear First Cow is pretty good?

First Cow and Possessor are the two that kicked my rear end this year with Color out of Space not far behind.

If you want some fun trash, Unhinged kinda feels like a perfect 2020 garbage movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress tremors 6 for killing burt gummer

Nah he'll be back

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm gonna have to hunker down and see some of the more acclaimed films of 2020 because I'd barely caught up with 2019 when theaters shut down.

Like I hear First Cow is pretty good?

Yeah, First Cow is really good. Other 2020 movies I've seen that are at least "real good" if not better (or maybe late 2019s that I got to in 2020) are Another Round, Bacurau, The Twentieth Century, and Blow the Man Down.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah, First Cow is really good. Other 2020 movies I've seen that are at least "real good" if not better (or maybe late 2019s that I got to in 2020) are Another Round, Bacurau, The Twentieth Century, and Blow the Man Down.

I haven't heard of the last two, and both sound really good.

I'm hoping to play catch-up on 2020 releases this month as well. I started this weekend with David Byrne's American Utopia, and I loved it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

RIP Tanya Roberts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-EMGQg0C4

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish I liked Bacarau as much as some people did but it definitely feels like essential viewing.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wish I liked Bacarau as much as some people did but it definitely feels like essential viewing.

Same. I struggled to get into it, but the ending was good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I felt like it built the tension and dread so well and then, just before the movie releases the tension, it gives you my favourite "these guys are so hosed" scene ever.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched Raw Deal over the weekend and I can't stop thinking about how you get a movie where Arnold extralegally takes down the mob, including a scene where he's driving through a quarry shooting fools while blasting Sastifaction from his car stereo, and it still winds up pretty drat boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched Tokyo Drifter last night and I’ve never seen such a huge gap between the quality of the visuals/aesthetic and the quality of the story

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Raw Deal over the weekend and I can't stop thinking about how you get a movie where Arnold extralegally takes down the mob, including a scene where he's driving through a quarry shooting fools while blasting Sastifaction from his car stereo, and it still winds up pretty drat boring.

Disagree, I thought Raw Deal was great. To be fair, maybe I was in a forgiving mood because it'd been so long since I'd discovered a new Arnold movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I also really like Raw Deal. It's a solid B-tier Arnold film. Lots of great squib work, a lot of fun vehicle stunts, and some insane character dynamics during a convoluted plan. It's fun!