Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly drown in a rising tide of boiling sea water and microplastics

Give away all of your possessions including your clothes and run off to live in a remote tropical jungle, then tell me how happy you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

mallratcal posted:

People just wanted to gently caress the blue creatures.

those poor Smurfs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

Give away all of your possessions including your clothes and run off to live in a remote tropical jungle, then tell me how happy you are.

Keep a check on this guy, I think we have a bona fide brain genius in here! Nothing gets past him!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
James Cameron: "So there's these thin and lithe sexualized humanoid cats"

The worst of the internet: "I'm listening."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
extant hunter-gatherer tribes do tend to report higher subjective happiness than people in developed nations

not that I'd trade places (no video games)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"I long for a simple life"

- guy who killed the poo poo out of a spider plant and would be eaten by cannibals 4 seconds into the power grid collapsing

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Next year JC will roll the boulder away from the opening to the Avatar cave and bless us with so many gently caress-eye giving blue cats that he will single handedly re-launch the dead cinema industry.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Avatar was basically one of only two movies* that really successfully utilized the then-new circular polarization 3d movie technology. Seeing it in the theater was an experience, with a super-high spectacle factor. People weren’t going crazy wishing they could be on Pandora because of anything in the story, it was purely because of how immersive the environments felt. The closest we probably have to something like that today are the people with the super-high-end VR rigs talking about how amazing it is to play Half Life: Alyx.

*The other was Jackass 3D.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

LanceHunter posted:

Avatar was basically one of only two movies* that really successfully utilized the then-new circular polarization 3d movie technology. Seeing it in the theater was an experience, with a super-high spectacle factor. People weren’t going crazy wishing they could be on Pandora because of anything in the story, it was purely because of how immersive the environments felt. The closest we probably have to something like that today are the people with the super-high-end VR rigs talking about how amazing it is to play Half Life: Alyx.

*The other was Jackass 3D.

hm did jackass 3d give anyone depression?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cubone posted:

hm did jackass 3d give anyone depression?

No, it was a good movie. That's why no one is defending it on twitter.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.
"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Jackass 3D.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Johnny Knoxville will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.

A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "SteveOWhite" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.
"Ever since I went to see 'Jackass 3D' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Jackass and all the jackasses made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Jackass and the everything is the same as in 'Jackass 3D.' "

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Avatar loving owned, Cameron basically invented a whole new way of making 3D movies that blew everything else out of the water, and nobody's been able to emulate it since despite trillion dollar budgets, lol.

Also as certain podcast said, it was the one time in American history the American audiences stood up and cheered as the movie showed them Vietcong brutally eviscerating US troops.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

audiences stood up and cheered

no one did this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

luchajones posted:

no one did this

I remember hair sex

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

I remember hair sex

I stood up

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

mallratcal posted:

People just wanted to gently caress the blue creatures.

Didn't they gently caress demolition man-style using their ponytail internet jacks? I ain't down with that

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

luchajones posted:

no one did this

well a podcast said it happened

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If it didn't happen, it's only because they were too stunned by the transcendental beauty of Pandora and the rich narrative weaved through it to move.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mallratcal posted:

well a podcast said it happened

A podcast that never heard of Return of the Jedi.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

A podcast that never heard of Return of the Jedi.

George Lucas definitely didn't intend the storm troopers to be seen as Americans, unlike Cameron who literally made a movie about American soldiers getting killed in the most gruesome ways in the name of justice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vim Fuego posted:

Didn't they gently caress demolition man-style using their ponytail internet jacks? I ain't down with that

What was down with that? They hosed with their ethernet-braids... but they also controlled their horse things the same way?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

steinrokkan posted:

George Lucas definitely didn't intend the storm troopers to be seen as Americans, unlike Cameron who literally made a movie about American soldiers getting killed in the most gruesome ways in the name of justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl3IoHKQ8c&t=59s

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

this man has billions and still wont fix his neck

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Again, as he himself says, a generic underdogs vs. empire archetype riffing on the cultural tone of the time, vs. biting literal (not figurative) USMC troopers in half in the middle of the post 9/11 fetishization of all things military.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Again, as he himself says, a generic underdogs vs. empire archetype riffing on the cultural tone of the time, vs. biting literal (not figurative) USMC troopers in half in the middle of the post 9/11 fetishization of all things military.

he says the rebels are like the viet cong and america is the empire. he says america is the empire in this video

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

he says the rebels are like the viet cong and america is the empire. he says america is the empire in this video

metaphorically, as part of a broader commentary on imperialism

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

Avatar loving owned, Cameron basically invented a whole new way of making 3D movies that blew everything else out of the water, and nobody's been able to emulate it since despite trillion dollar budgets, lol.

Jackass 3D had better 3D and was an objectively better movie.

Please remain silent for the duration of the thread.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Cameron has that stereotypical Boomer anti-Vietnam-war activist conception and hatred of the military. He’s not necessarily wrong about the military-industrial complex, but he goes about it in such a childish, dated and reductionist way. His conception of politics never advanced beyond the early 70’s.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Also as certain podcast said, it was the one time in American history the American audiences stood up and cheered as the movie showed them Vietcong brutally eviscerating US troops.

The argument that Avatar is a bad movie because it didn't have the kind of pop culture impact where people are making memes and quoting it like Marvel movies has always been dumb but I like the podcaster argument that the reason why it doesn't enjoy that kind of continuing second life here but is hugely popular and iconic in exploited populations like Palestinians and indigenous South Americans and is because it's a movie that actually speaks to real issues with American society and nobody wants to be reminded of the upcoming ecological collapse or the fact that our entire civilization is built around exploiting resources and labor from other countries by force in a way that is completely unsustainable.

Way easier to just turn away and clap when Captain America punches an evil alien that hates humans or John Wick shootdances his way through fifty eastern europeans over gold coins.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

metaphorically, as part of a broader commentary on imperialism

they cant be literally america because its in fuckin space

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

Cameron has that stereotypical Boomer anti-Vietnam-war activist conception and hatred of the military. He’s not necessarily wrong about the military-industrial complex, but he goes about it in such a childish, dated and reductionist way. His conception of politics never advanced beyond the early 70’s.

Indeed, we should be actively finding novel, innovative ways to humiliate the military and brutally dismember their cultural effigies to show our contempt, we shouldn't be tied to the old ways. Sadly, nobody's willing to pick up the torch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

they cant be literally america because its in fuckin space

Counterpoint: The Avater: The Movie

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What was down with that? They hosed with their ethernet-braids... but they also controlled their horse things the same way?

:ssh: they were actually loving the horses

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Did human soldiers die in Avatar? Like most people I have almost no memory of the movie. I remember humans being getting kicked off the planet at then end, after the old guy from Don't Breathe lost a power loader fight.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

mallratcal posted:

Did human soldiers die in Avatar? Like most people I have almost no memory of the movie. I remember humans being getting kicked off the planet at then end, after the old guy from Don't Breathe lost a power loader fight.

yeah they get totally killed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

IIRC the only human who died was Michelle Rodriguez because Cameron has a fetish for latina self-sacrifice (Vasquez).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Listen, the point is that Lucas made people watch an abstract representation of an empire getting their rear end kicked in an abstract sanitized colonial war, while the superior film, Avatar, made the audience watch as their neighbor's son Jimmy who shipped to Afghanistan had his limbs torn off by a pterodactyl.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

IIRC the only human who died was Michelle Rodriguez because Cameron has a fetish for latina self-sacrifice (Vasquez).

gently caress. I don't even remember her being in the movie.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

all i remember is her saying that she didn't sign up for this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

and the old white guy was in Terra Nova