Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rannum posted:

No one ever dissents on the "unanimous decision" thing right? That little point always felt like it would cause at least one issue down the line, just a smidge of group conflict to shake up the routine but I don't think it did.

Ended up adding a line there right now that I meant to add earlier but forgot--basically, no, it never actually causes any real conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do you come to this hotel very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Arist posted:

Ended up adding a line there right now that I meant to add earlier but forgot--basically, no, it never actually causes any real conflict.

I feel it does play a bit into the fallout between Morgana and the group in Okumura's palace, with Ryuuji wanting to go to his palace immediately but backing down (conforming to the norm) when other members disagree while Morgana concludes he needs to leave and calling them indecisive (And Haru saying more of less the same thing later). It probably would have still happened, just differently.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you come to this hotel very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't.

fffffffffffffffffuuuuuck youuu

Joking aside, I glazed over the bit about why they go after more well known targets first time through. Makes enough sense, for how much it takes to go through one palace, there's no way they'd get around to the thousands if not millions of abusive people in the world. Inspiring people to stand up is about the best they can hope for.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

rannum posted:

No one ever dissents on the "unanimous decision" thing right? That little point always felt like it would cause at least one issue down the line, just a smidge of group conflict to shake up the routine but I don't think it did.

If I remember right, the only time the decision isn’t “unanimous” in vanilla is the time Joker and Futaba run off to take care of some business without involving the others at all. It caused no issues that I can think of.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They also can't come to a unanimous consensus initially wrt Okumura. Morgana, Ryuji, and kinda Ann are for it, Joker, Makoto, and Yusuke are against, and Futaba is waffling. They only all agree once another reason for changing his heart comes up in the form of Haru's impending arranged marriage thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 23: 5/5: A Palace Of My Very Own (New)

This update contains content from Part 22 of the original LP.

Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

We officially established the Phantom Thieves, so it was totally worth it.

We’re like a few hours into this and we’re already getting the name confused.

Did you see the survey on that Phantom Aficionado Website? It looks like most people don’t believe in us yet.
Well, if we take down some big targets I’m sure it’ll go up a ton!
>I crave the dopamine from watching the number go up. This is perfect.

Oh? Thieves Den?

First, let’s read this text message.

Celebrating the founding of the Phantom Thieves! And celebrating us crashing that classy buffet!

You can cool it with all the “celebrating” any time now… Wait, you took that while I was eating!? Why didn’t you tell me!?
Uh, I did. You just never stopped eating. Anyways, this is our start as the Phantom Thieves! We’re gonna take the world by storm! All the lovely adults in the world better watch out for us!

Occasionally throughout the game after various story events you’ll get a text conversation that includes a picture. This is new to Royal. Like a lot of Royal, it’s cute but inessential. Heyo!

Well, let’s check this out, then.

Music: No More What Ifs (Instrumental Version)

You hear that Marvel? You’re on blast!

What an enchanting place, all set to the peaceful, dulcet tones of some weird elevator muzak…

Eh, oh well. First, I need to fix this up…

That oughta do it. Okay!

Were you drawn here by the smell too?

There’s a rotting corpse in the basement. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Oh, sorry—I guess you just got here too, huh? I can definitely understand not knowing what’s going on here—don’t worry.

…So THAT’S what this place is!

This is a place created by the cognitions of people like yourself… Your memories and feelings are collected here and given shape. Boy, I sure am glad I came here now! I bet this place can teach me all sorts of things. I’m going to stick around here for a while. You could take a look around too, if that interests you. I’m curious to see more of the memories inside you. If there’s anything you don’t understand, just ask me! I’ll help as much as I can. Well, that should wrap it up. Good job.

And now we’re set loose in here like a kid in a candy shop. Except there’s no candy or indeed fun of any kind in here with the exception of a card game.

If we talk to this mysterious child, we can get a rundown of the place, but that’ll just spoil the surprise! Let’s wing it!

First up, we go over to the “Palace Maker.”

From here, we can buy and place life-size replicas of our party’s Personas.

There aren’t a ton of spots, and to make matters even more complicated you can only put certain objects on certain colored spots. But if it’s a blue object like Arsène is, you can also hang it from the blue spots up above!

One of the only other things we can place right now is this giant Kamoshida statue from his Palace. We’ll unlock more as we progress through the game.

We can also change the general atmosphere of the Palace, but we elect not to for now.

Now, the cool part of futzing with this stuff and the only reason to really even bother is that our party members (or at least, our cognitions of them) will pop up and have chats about the items you’ve placed.

For real. And don’t forget how I helped bust you outta that jail cell, too!
Hrgh… I know…
Though I gotta admit, you’ve helped out a lot more since then.
Wait, what was that?
Nothin’! Why don’t you show a little thanks to the guy who saved your life?
drat you…

Ha! Classic them!

Unfortunately, since we only have three party members and it takes two to tango, we have to run back over to the Palace Maker every time we want to reset these and get new chats. Also navigating the Palace itself is an rear end and a half thanks to the confusing knot of stairs weaving its way through it. Once we get more party members we’ll be able to see more and more of those, but I’m not sure how much or how often I want to show this stuff off. The real problem is that Thieves’ Den progress is tied to your system save, so every time you unlock more poo poo it’ll update system-wide. If you’re not seeing the problem here, I’ll just tell you straight up: in order to reset my Thieves’ Den progress and not bombard all of you with massive spoilers, I had to delete my entire save file before starting this LP! Fun!

What do you mean, “elegant”? I was at the end of my rope there.
That desperation is what caused your persona to awaken. The sheer rage you had was impressive!
You’re such a suck-up.
But thanks. I like that about you, Morgana.
Do my ears deceive me? Did you just say you’re falling for me, Lady Ann…!?
Nope!

Bummed? Why’s that?
I was the only one who couldn’t fight, y’know? I was just draggin’ you guys down. All I could do was stand around and get my rear end saved over and over.
Well, I was more experienced, after all. It’s an unfair comparison.
Besides, when it did come time for you to awaken, you returned the favor. Why don’t we call it even?
Hey, yeah! You’re pretty wise for a cat!
That’s because I’m NOT a cat!

It’s… cool, I guess? She’s got a cigar in her mouth, steppin’ on a guy…
You don’t get it, do you? That passion is part of Lady Ann’s unique charm!
Uh, I guess if you’re into that kinda thing.

And that’s all the chats we have time for today, because I got really sick of resetting for more.

Up on the second floor, we find this tile with Ryuji’s face on it.

Why do I feel so much dumber all of a sudden? It’s… kind of liberating, actually.

It’s beyond pointless but we can transform into our party members! You can’t… do anything as them, but the option is there!

Ah, Tycoon. …What the hell is Tycoon?

Like a fool, I first chose “Tutorials.” This was a trap. The game bombards you with endless information that I could barely keep track of.

Okay, so you want to get rid of all your cards. The first player plays a card (or two, three, or four of the same card), then the next player has to play the same number of a “better” hand. The best card is 2, and the worst is 3. So, if Ann plays two 3s, then I can play any number as long as I have two of them. The player with the 3 of diamonds goes first. Playing an 8 causes an “8 Stop”, ending the turn instantly and letting that player go again. The Joker can be any number., but if you play the 3 of Spades after the Joker it causes a 3-Spade Reversal and ends the turn. If you don’t have the cards or don’t want to play them, you can pass. But if you play four of a kind (or three and the Joker), you start a Revolution, which reverses all the values, making 3 the best and 2 the worst! But wait, there’s more! I haven’t even gotten to the roles yet! So, there’s four roles: Beggar, Poor, Rich, and Tycoon (there’s also Commoner, but everyone starts the first round as a Commoner so it doesn’t count). These roles are determined by the order in which each player gets rid of all their cards: Tycoon first, then Rich, then Poor, with Beggar being the last man standing unless the previous Tycoon didn’t finish in first, then they go Bankrupt and become the new Beggar automatically. Finishing as the Tycoon earns you 30 points, then 20 for Rich and 10 for Poor. Beggar gets nothing, gently caress you. And then there’s the card swaps! In between rounds, the Tycoon trades two cards with Beggar, and Rich trades one card with Poor. Poor and Beggar have to trade their best cards, gently caress YOU.

Got all that? No? Well, thankfully most of it’s so esoteric that the actual strategy of the game doesn’t rely too heavily on keeping it locked into your memory. Tycoon is actually surprisingly fun for how complex it is, and as we get the band back together we’ll get to play with the rest of our party.

(I would have included video of me playing but my capture card hates Tycoon for some reason and the footage has a minor glitch. It’s still perfectly watchable, I’m just very self-conscious about it)

This exit hallway is full of promotional art! Neat!

Well, that’s enough of that. I’ll definitely pop in there every now and again but there’s not too much available at the moment. Granted, I didn’t show off the in-game awards or the music, art, and video galleries, but whatever.

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

Let’s watch this DVD in glorious 4:3.

Music: “Joy” from Persona 3

(Jock voice) Ugh! You think I’d go out with her? What do I look like?
(Cheerleader voice) What? You liar! You told me you loved me just last night!

Whoa, is this what high schoolers are like overseas? Don’t get any ideas, all right?

Maybe you learned a thing or two about Charm by watching this drama.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’re juuuuuuuust about ready to start that rehabilitation. For realsies this time.

loving *finally*!
Basically, we’re gonna take your unique potential and refine it into something able to stop the coming ruin!
That’s still extremely vague and confusing and not really what that word means!
Yeah, you got a point there, but my manager really wanted me to hammer the “rehabilitation” thing. Some brand synergy what-have-you, I think? Whatever. I’ll make it worth your while, though. See?

Bada bing bada boom, more space in that messed-up head of yours for alternate personalities. Don’t say I never did nothing for you, kid. Now go make friends and strengthen your power, all right? I’ll see you again later in the space behind your eyelids. Farewell!

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 8, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Interestingly, Tycoon seems pretty much the same as a local card game here in Malaysia called Cho Tai Ti with extra rules tacked on. The 8 stop, Revolution and the Joker stuff seems added to the game, but the base rules are the same and the roles + swapping the best tiles are a common variant for when you get bored of the base rules (also for generating a ton of salt).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Couldn’t you have spun up a new PSN profile to get around the system-save thing?

Ibblebibble posted:

Interestingly, Tycoon seems pretty much the same as a local card game here in Malaysia called Cho Tai Ti with extra rules tacked on. The 8 stop, Revolution and the Joker stuff seems added to the game, but the base rules are the same and the roles + swapping the best tiles are a common variant for when you get bored of the base rules (also for generating a ton of salt).

The general idea of the game is pretty widespread; my Vietnamese relatives play a variant called Tien Len, or 13, which I learned in High School under the name “Killer” and Clubhouse Games on Switch has another variation called President. :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That Clubhouse Games thing for Switch has Tycoon in it under the name “President”.

It’s also conceptually similar to this game called “The Great Dalmuti”, which is dramatically less fun for several reasons that amount to “this was literally designed to be horrendously imbalanced”.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tycoon is great. Every time you get a new party member, ending their existence in Tycoon is a rite of passage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also it’s not just party members, all confidants can have scenes in the Thieves Den. Some of them are pretty neat combinations too. Off the top of my head Shinya gets one with Toranosuke and one with Iwai that are fairly nice.

Kawakami also gets one apologising to Ann for sitting by and not paying enough attention to catch Kamoshida. I think Ryuji and Morgana also get one apologising to eachother.

Tycoon is great, but the best tycoon opponent takes a while to unlock. I think whilst you can select the difficulty of your opponents they also have internal AI/traits/skill. For example Ryuji is by far the worst of the current choices when they’re all equal difficulty in my experience.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 17, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wasn't sure what makes other Confidants show up so I didn't bring it up. I thought it was NG+ only but maybe it isn't?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

I wasn't sure what makes other Confidants show up so I didn't bring it up. I thought it was NG+ only but maybe it isn't?

I think it might be maxed confidant links? I only started seeing them near the end of the game, around where vanilla ends. But I might be misremembering that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You only see them after beating the game, yeah.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

You only see them after beating the game, yeah.

Weird, maybe I was seeing them because I did one of the early bad ending decisions and then reloaded to before that point to continue?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hey guys why is that huge loving dork from the TV in our group and why is he ominously distant from the rest of us?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not holding my breath, but I hope P5R makes Akechi a bit more of a fun villain.

No "Abloobloo, my tragic backstory" or anything like that. Dude just loves him some murder and is having fun with it. Like Haru but evil(er).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 24: Side Story 2: I'm Taking This Joke Too Far

Well, I figure now's a good time to check back in on the P5 anime! Mostly because I'm too lazy to push a full update! Anyway, here's my notes:

Episode 2
  • Checked the sub for Episode 1 and Japanese Kamoshida is bad, but no voice filter
  • Seems like they actually got rid of the filter on Kamoshida for Episode 2? Or at least made it less overbearing?
  • Ren A-MA-miya, lmao even in animeland they’re beholden to weird pronunciations
  • Lmao, Ren fuckin makes the rumors worse for Ann in the classroom, what a weird change
  • Wow, I’m five minutes into this and I’ve already heard Cassandra Lee Morris twice
  • Though not as Morgana, because they fuckin skipped his intro
  • The transition into the Velvet Room scene is so goddamn abrupt, I thought I missed something but nope! You don’t even get a shot of Ren falling asleep!
  • Did they just give the “Kamoshida spikes Mishima in the face at the volleyball rally” scene to Ren? But, this is before that, and also Kamoshida said it wasn’t the rally yet… For such a deliriously paced adaptation, it’s weird that they’re adding scenes.
  • On that topic, I guess it works that Ren takes the spike and keeps standing as a nod to his true nature
  • Random closeup on Haru for like three seconds, okay
  • They moved one of the track team scenes from Ryuji’s Confidant into this episode, but the team is so much less dickish than they were in the game (which was hilariously so). They even say they’re sorry about Ryuji’s leg! It’s weird!
  • And now the scene with Kawakami complaining that the students found out about Ren’s record and her telling him not to hang out with Ryuji, they’re moving scenes around all over the place
  • There’s a tiny beat where Ren’s soda spills over and I laughed because it’s so out of place
  • There’s a moment where Ann and Shiho are talking and Kamoshida shows up and Ann runs away, and then Kamoshida gets angry and Shiho looks scared. The immediate next shot is the cannon in Kamoshida’s castle firing while Ryuji watches. Back-to-back, these shots create a really loving disturbing Kuleshov effect moment implying violence against Shiho.
  • Oh, hey, I spoke too soon, that violence isn’t just implied but actively shown!
  • It also seemed to me like potential sexual abuse, so that’s fun!
  • Also, having Ann actively ditch Shiho to avoid Kamoshida leading directly into the implication of him beating her is… not a great change, imo, even if Ann is unaware of the consequences here. At best, you’re just doing the same moment twice (as when later the protagonist will comfort Ann and she decides not to go to Kamoshida, leading to bad things for Shiho). At worst, you’re making the character that much more culpable for Shiho’s abuse.
  • Morgana finally showing up halfway through the episode
  • Why is the key hanging like a foot and a half outside the bars? If Morgana wasn’t a cat with stubby cat arms he could easily grab it, and furthermore
  • Joker’s Persona doesn’t work for reasons
  • I will say, the shot of Kamoshida getting paranoid in the middle of his Shiho abuse because his guards noticed the team is better setup for Shido getting paranoid during the Thieves’ assault on his own Palace than anything in the game
  • Morgana the exposition robot
  • Parts of this are using very similar line choices to the original game script—“Wassup Persona” is exactly the same, for example
  • This “battle” is… uh… lacking
  • They don’t even TRY to explain the characters pulling their weapons out of hyperspace
  • Yeah, the All-out Attack looks bad, I’m not gonna dwell on it
  • Please don’t give me loving cheesecake shots of Cognitive Ann’s boobs and crotch, show
  • I appreciate the shot of Kanami Mashita performing, but it just makes me wonder why she looks exactly like she did four years earlier.
  • The judge in Ren’s court case is Jamieson Price again!
  • Still using every game VA so far

Episode 3

• WHY DOES THIS SHOT WITH IGOR LOOK SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE? IS IT BECAUSE HE BARELY MOVES?
  • I like how they have to have Igor and the twins exposit about cognitive beings here
  • Here comes a special boy!!!!!
  • Are these scenes with Sae going to be once an episode?
  • Holy poo poo they’re introducing Mika this early?
  • Oh my god, really did not need that bit of Kamoshida licking his lips and saying Shiho will “have to take responsibility for her friend’s actions”
  • “You like teasing me little kitten don’t you?” I NEED AN ADULT
  • Okay, so they cut away from the Ann confession scene before Ren actually says anything to comfort her, then is the Kamoshida grody scene, then we go to Ren at Leblanc flashing back to earlier in the day when they ran into Morgana, what the poo poo? It confused the hell out of me at first. Why backfill the information like that?
  • SONY
  • Wait, Kawakami wasn’t teaching during Shiho’s suicide attempt! This is Ushimaru erasure!
  • It also makes Kawakami seem… pretty callous!
  • The composition of the shot where Shiho jumps is pretty solid but I’m a little unnerved that they felt the need to show it so clearly at all
  • This is completely unrelated but I find it funny: the reason Persona 4 and Persona 5 got full anime adaptations and Persona 3 could instead be broken up into four movies is because nothing loving happens in Persona 3
  • Wait, they get to the Treasure room without Ann having joined the party? What?
  • They haven’t gotten their codenames yet, for that matter
  • Another turn of phrase that got weirdly reproduced in both dubs: “enjoy the dismemberment show”
  • Actually, upon checking, the game used “dismantlement show,” which is somehow even weirder
  • Lmao, we’re backfilling Ann and Shiho’s friendship now of all times????
  • Finally, some prominent music that’s not ripped from the game
  • They included the pointless “both these drinks are carbonated” moment?
  • Xander Mobus sounds… weird with more dialogue. It’s like he’s projecting his voice? Like, there’s no matching Jun Fukuyama who just naturally sounds like that even when concealing himself but I think I’d prefer a performance that was a little more natural-sounding here. It works in smaller doses for me but not like this.

Episode 4

• Still love the idea that Ryuji went down to a print shop and made these calling cards
  • Okay, so they’re moving the calling card scene to the evening (which is ridiculous, Sojiro would never let Ren out that late :v: ) and putting the scenes at the clinic and airsoft shop before it?
  • Abby Trott is here as Takemi, sounding… fine, honestly. I probably prefer her performance here to the game’s.
  • REN NO DO NOT TAKE UNSOLICITED MEDICATION FROM THE STRANGE LADY
  • We have no context in this adaptation for why Ren is making these tools
  • Also, we haven’t gotten the scene where Sojiro meets Morgana yet! :mad:
  • Okay, here’s the context for why he’s making the tools: he has to pick a lock? But they already found the Treasure, so wouldn’t it be open already?
  • Persona 5 the Animation, prominently featuring Ann’s rear end
  • Actually, it’s spelled PERSONA5 the Animation, according to Funimation
  • They’re putting the “find the eye” task from the game in NOW of all times?
  • What’s the point of thi—OH IT’S SO THEY CAN DO THE WILD CARD STUFF
  • “It’s a girl, too! I didn’t need to use sex appeal!” Ann, it was a guard. It’s literally their job to chase you
  • This is a startlingly accurate take on negotiation, in that it’s disjointed as hell
  • OH GOD HE TURNED INTO A BAD 3D RENDER
  • They’re doing an okay job of translating the mechanics of the fight into action, I suppose
  • Honestly, most of this show looks pretty good, it's just that the shots that don't are way too frequent
  • Putting fusion in the middle of the boss fight? Sure, whatever
  • I like that he fuses Agathion, the Persona I always fuse first
  • Oh god, Cognitive Ann turned into loving sludge
  • Weird to start Kamoshida’s confession with something as weak as “yelling at students”
  • And then he loving dances around the sexual poo poo with “I was… inappropriate with some female students,” what?
  • Shiho woke up, but we’re still not giving her any lines
  • I completely forgot they skipped over giving Ren a codename until the end of this episode
  • HERE’S THE SOJIRO AND MORGANA SCENE
  • Sojiro doesn’t even fight on the Morgana issue here, lmao
  • WHAT IS THIS AKECHI FLASHFORWARD SCENE DOING HERE
Honestly, I'm enjoying this more than I expected to.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
While the key art in P5A isn't as bad as P4A's, uh, Off-Model Shots Only, the actual animation is significantly less imaginative. I've heard the comparison that P5A is better for people who have experienced P5 before and want to re-experience it for one reason or another, while P4A, due to P4 being so... uniquely paced, is actually good for people who haven't seen P4.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I watched P4A and enjoyed it a decent amount and I haven't gone more than 1h into P4G, whilst I don't think I could have said the same for P5A.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
P4A is good. P4G is the Marie show and that's kind of lame, though the Adachi episodes were neat.

I also liked how the show went back to the P4A opening after she tried to blank herself from everyone's memories.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I didn't hate P4GA, but it was at its best when it was leaning into the "Yu has literally played this game before" angle; the Morooka scene in Episode 1 is the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 25: 5/6: Phantom Thieves Dot Zone

This update contains content from Parts 22 and 23 of the original LP.

Anon: Thieves should be arrested!

And we’ve (finally) gotten to the point where Phan-Site messages appear during the day-to-day loading screens… but because Royal is a PS4 exclusive, the load times were improved considerably, so the game only displays two messages before this screen disappears instead of four.

Early Morning

Broke-rear end College Student is a little too real for me, game. Ouch.

(Energetic College Student) What about Big Bang Burger? The one on Central Street is holding a contest right now. The Big Bang Challenge or whatever. If you go at night, you can eat for only 500 yen.

I’m hungry *now*, idiot.

Hey, the Big Bang Challenge is available again now. We’ll have to give it a shot sometime.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

The gist is, don’t go around talking about the incident. That’s all.

I’m a big fan of referring to a scandal as “The Incident.”

The police are still investigating Mr. Kamoshida, so I can’t say anything myself. As a teacher though, I’m ashamed for not having noticed that a student was suffering like that…

Aww, Kawakami does care.

Loses a few points for the follow-up, though.

Honestly, it still doesn’t feel real. I guess people can have multiple sides to them…
The teachers have it rough, huh…
Oh yeah, I just remembered something I learned about psychology. They say that humans have several different personalities hidden in their subconscious.
Different personalities…?
Oh, to be clear, I’m not talking about multiple personality disorder. These different personalities can be a different gender or a different age from you. I mean, if you think about how gods and monsters in myths were first based on the human image… If you actually saw one of those personalities with your own eyes, it might look like a monster.

This sounds really sketchy…
Quiet, you. I read it on the internet, so it’s gotta be true.

Mm-hmm…
Hm? You all seem more alert than usual.
Did I finally talk about something that interests you?

“Interesting” is one word for it, sure.

Well, I’m just saying what I’ve heard. It feels like I just now understood what I learned long ago.

You listening to this, cat? Write that down WRITE THAT DOWN

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Morning → Lunchtime

Music: Break it Down

“I wanna make my friend apologize for not returning the stuff I lent him.” Ugh, deal with that yourself!

Hey, those girls…

(Short-Haired Student) It’s got to be made up. Do you seriously believe they exist?
But look what happened to Kamoshida.
He probably just couldn’t keep hiding it after that girl tried to kill herself.
Yeah, you might be right. I guess there’s no way they really exist.
Most importantly, it seriously sucks that our school is gonna be known for stuff like this!
I wonder if it’ll affect our college entrance…

If we can take care of two or three famous guys, people’ll have to believe we exist.

About that… you haven’t found any “big shots” yet, right? Plus, you two are still under suspicion because of that rumor you threatened Kamoshida…
I see your point. Looks like we’ll be laying low for a bit, then. Still, let’s stay prepared, just in case.
I’ll keep an eye out for info on potential targets.

And I’ll try to dig up some dirt online.
We went and formed the Phantom Thieves group, but we can’t even find a target…

Ryuji, I know you’re keeping your voice down (this time), but this is probably the worst possible place to air that information.

There, there…
I guess sometimes things just don’t go the way we want ‘em to…

Music: Disquiet

Do you wish to see me, Principal Kobayakawa?

Mr. Kamoshida… it’s like he’s a completely different person.
I’m sorry? I don’t follow.
I’ve heard there were some students meddling with him beforehand. I’m simply too busy to look into who these students *are,* you understand. Terribly busy. But if they have anything to do with this…
Are you saying you believe these students to be responsible for Mr. Kamoshida’s personality shift?
I wish to know myself… but again, oh so busy with… the bake sale.
That was last week.
And it was such a success we’re planning another! But I digress! I can’t be looking into student matters… As our student council president, I believe you will be a better fit.
…Does this have anything to do with the talk of Phantom Thieves?
I’d like to know why this incident occurred. It will also allow me to properly handle the police and media.
I see…
Please find whoever is responsible for this or these rumors will never die. You agree, don’t you?
Uhhh…
Of course you do. You’ve been top of your class and an asset to this school for as long as anyone can remember. With my recommendation, you could get into any college you choose, Niijima-san.

Th-Thank you…

But it’s to be expected, isn’t it? Your sister as well has made a name for herself at the Public Prosecutor’s Office…

If something disappointing were to happen here, that wouldn’t reflect very well on your sister… Do you understand?
…Yes.

How wise. It’s no wonder you hold your position. Please begin looking into this at once.

Yes. If you’ll excuse me then.

Yes, it’s about the matter we discussed earlier…

I’m still not really sure why you need a high school principal in on your national murder conspiracy, but I’m honored just to be included! The investigation is already underway…

…… Mhm, of course… Yes, I will get results… I should be able to update you soon… Well then, I must be going. Thank you very much for your time…
*immediate disconnect tone*
*sigh*

Lunchtime → Afternoon

I saw them too! They were talking to the teachers!
That change of heart thing’s seriously amazing, huh!?

Hell no!

Heh.

But I mean, haven’t rumors been going around about how you guys threatened Kamoshida?
This world’s Kamoshida shouldn’t know anything about what actually happened to him though.
Still…
We did what was right. Don’t go freaking out over some label.
I guess that’s true…
Man, I really can’t wait to keep living this double life!

Isn’t the double life the universally agreed-upon worst part of being a superhero or Hannah Montana or whatever?

All right, Maaku! We’re gonna be counting on you!

Music: Everyday Days

You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?

Ooh… That looked like it hurt.
*snicker* He hit him right in the forehead…
That’s what you get for daydreaming! Kids these days have no respect for their elders.
Good grief… Looks like you need more Proficiency to completely dodge that.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Have you seen that Phantom Aficianado Website?

My new dad doesn’t let me use the internet. He doesn’t understand it because he’s one million years old.
Oh, well…

I’m the one who started it.

…You guys are the Phantom Thieves, aren’t you?

*sweating* Who?
Don’t worry, I’ll keep it a secret!

Kamoshida used me, and I did some horrible things to you guys. This isn’t much of a way for me to apologize for it… But if there’s anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Again, not a member of that devious #Millennials group.
Oh, did you guys get a new name?
poo poo!

That’s… all I needed to say.

Sorry, who are you?

It’s not just Kamoshida… There are tons of evil adults out there. But I’m sure the Phantom Thieves will do something… They can’t let this end after just one target. That’s why I wanted to make a forum where people could post their problems. There are probably a lot of people who have high hopes for the Phantom Thieves’ next move. So I’ve also implemented an anonymous poll on the site.

I wanna work on this forum so eventually it’ll be packed with tons of supportive posts.

I really wanna help you bring justice! Can I, pleasepleaseplease?
Go nuts I guess, because I obviously have nothing to do with this and cannot comment one way or the other.
Yesssss thank you so much!

I sense abundantly high expectations from Mishima…

Music: Interrogation Room

Who was responsible for that fansite of yours? Who reset your router when it was acting up? Who ran your Twitter dot com????

Music: The Spirit

Geez… It was a little awkward tryin’ to figure out when to walk over here.

Imagining Ryuji and Ann just standing awkwardly in the back corner that whole time, heh.

So that forum is Mishima-kun’s…
Has he figured out our identities?
Even so, I think it’ll be fine. He seemed to be playing it cool.

The least reliable guy we know is privy to our darkest secret? Can’t see a problem with that!
It’ll be fine. This forum may even be useful to us…
We have to keep searching for a new targe—

Music: My Homie

Oh crap! We gotta bear down for midterms!
Idiot.
Cat.
I’ll fight you!
Bring it on!

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Don’t forget to study, though—I’m not getting blamed if your grades start dropping.

Why would that happen in the first place?

Ah, I have plenty of free time available. Time to do precisely one activity and then go home!

But before that, eavesdropping!

(Calm Student) I know. The things he did probably scarred those girls for life.
He kept hitting on Takamaki-san, right? I had the wrong idea about her. I should apologize later…

It looks kinda dumb…

(Inquisitive Girl) I was thinking about heading to Shibuya with my friends to clear my head, but… Do you know if there’s any seasonal goods or specials in Shibuya?
(Foodie Girl) Let’s see. If you’re hanging out with your friends, you should try Big Bang Burger. Their springtime item, Earth Burger, is both healthy and delicious. It’s pretty big, so it’s perfect for sharing. You can find a Big Bang Burger on Central Street.
Big Bang Burger, huh? Sounds good. Thanks, I’ll try it out!

I’m not sure… The police won’t tell me anything. Maybe they don’t expect much from a high school reporter, but I’m trying to do my job seriously. I want to get more info about it since everyone’s so confused about what’s going on…

Some students are taking time off because of the emotional shock. As for the volleyball team… Some members are still sticking with the team, but that doesn’t mean they forgive Mr. Kamoshida.

They just keep telling everyone not to cause any trouble. I get that they’re busy, but… I feel like none of them actually care about us students.

(Arrogant Officer) Don’t worry. We’re awate of your situation. Ah, right. I also want to speak to all the teachers later, so please arrange a time that works for you.
M-Me too? I don’t think I’d be much help to your investigation…

(Handsome Student) But a morning assembly for the whole school? Maybe the “Phantom Thieves of Hearts wer—*shriek*
Huh? What’s wrong?
I-I felt this sudden chill down my spine… Maybe I’m coming down with something?

(Creepy Female Student) *gasp* Oh no! If Ikesugi-kun’s heart gets stolen… I’d… I’ll… I’ll knot him a scarf for his birthday. We’ll be together. I just need to weave in my hair…

Gross.

(Motivated First-Year) I dunno, it’s pretty exciting. Like a TV show—real cops and everything.
You think so, too? I know it’s not right, but I just can’t help it!
High school’s seriously nothing but nonstop drama! I can only imagine what’s gonna happen next…

(Bespectacled Council Member) She looked tired, especially because of the Kamoshida incident. I heard she’s been acting under direct orders by the principal. I wonder what she’s doing.
I don’t know. She hasn’t said anything to me.
I guess she can’t rely on us for some reason. I wish she wouldn’t handle everything alone like that.

Ooh, cop outside the P.E. faculty office.

I apologize if I’ve startled you. I’d appreciate your cooperation.

(Easygoing Basketball Player) So much for the volleyball team’s privileges. Well, the other teams were never a big deal, anyway. But now, we can recruit whoever we want and use the gym anytime. The basketball team’s taking over!
That’s what you think! If anyone’s taking over anything, it’ll be the soccer team!

Heh, you already know, don’t you? My actions have been attracting too much attention lately. It’s no wonder you’ve figured it out… Keep this just between us, okay? No one can know I’m the phantom thief who defeated Kamoshida…

Heh, there’s no need for you to play dumb. My actions have been attracting too much attention lately. It’s no wonder you’ve figured it out… Keep this just between us, okay? No one can know I’m the phantom thief who defeated Kamoshida…

(Kind Faculty Member) Come on… If you did something the police wouldn’t like, you should tell me right away.
Ahaha, I didn’t do anything bad lately! Relax, they just want to investigate Kamoshida.
I wish things around here would quiet down soon. I worry how all this could affect the students.

All this craziness going on is all because the volleyball team—Oh! Oh, I’m sorry…
(Female Volleyball Player) What’s going to happen to us now? They’re not going to get rid of our team, are they?

(Lazy Male Student) *chuckle* I snitched about all sorts of stuff to the police. Kamoshida’s gone too far.
(Refined Male Student) I respected him as a top athlete, but… Ultimately, I guess his character left much to be desired. Well, he brought it on himself. He failed his duty as a teacher and betrayed a lot of trust.

Oh, right, can I ask you something? Have you received any physical punishment, threats, or verbal abuse from Mr. Kamoshida? Even if if it’s something minor, let me know if you happen to know anything at all.

Huh? Hold on, so what you’re saying is that he’s exposed his naked body to you?
Physical punishment, threats, sexual harassment, and even indecent exposure. That fiend… I’m sure we’ll find that he committed even more offenses if we dig around a little more.

Always nice to gently caress with the cops.

(Tired-Looking Student) Maybe I’ll study in the library. I feel like I can focus better in there since it’s so quiet.

We’re going to grab this Yakisoba Pan and hold onto it for a while. Just trust me on this one.

(Radio Announcer) We’re collecting opinions via fax about the case of a high school teacher assaulting his students. “I used to be one of his fans back when he was in the Olympics. It’s such a crushing disappointment.”
Even the teachers have hit a new low. This crummy world’s just getting worse and worse as time goes by.

(Talkative Old Man) No one looks where they’re going. Even if they bump into me and I fall, they just ignore me.
The world’s been getting to be a pretty harsh place these days.

(Young-Looking Woman) It’s tough for the victims to talk about it. I’m pretty sure if my boss touched me in a pervy way…
Why don’t you just kick him as hard as you can with those high heels you wear all the time?
That might be a good idea! Luckily, I just bought a new pair of five-inch stillettos for a date.

(Novice Pick-Up Artist) He had it coming, man. There were all sorts of rumors going around back when I went there too.
People without charm or popularity always use force to get their way… Push, pull, and then the smooth follow-up. Without these skills, can you call yourself a man?

It’s his fault I have to live such a lovely life…

…Leave me alone. I was at his beck and call, and this is what I get. It’s over for me now…

Eating away at humankind… The “Sun God” is the only one who can oppose such an evil force!
(Man With Clear Eyes) Ahhh… the power of the Sun God flows through me…!
Yes! YES! This is the promised land! Feel the warmth of the Sun God radiating within you!

Don’t patronize the man, Maaku.

Haha, I’m touched that you’re concerned about me. Don’t worry, I’m used to it. I’ll be just fine. I was living this life before I can even remember. My memory’s a little foggy though. I actually have trouble recalling anything that happens at night… Well, I guess it’s not that big a deal.

(Easygoing Shujin Girl) Huh… I didn’t know you could find out about that kind of stuff on the internet.
What era are you from!? I bet Shujin students are posting about it too. That Kamoshida story is really trending right now.

(Modest Housewife) Oh, no. None of us would be able to tell the good art from the bad.
Well, you’ll never become more cultured if you don’t gain an appreciation for the finer things.

We have enough Charm to take the Rafflesia job now, so we do it.

Now we head back to Ann to continue her Confidant.

What should I do…? Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to at least ask… No, but then…
Lady Ann seems depressed…
U-Um… never mind! It’s nothing!
I should be able to invite her out with my current Kindness.
I’m fine, seriously! Besides, I wouldn’t wanna trouble you…

…Are you sure? You’re so reliable. I guess it wouldn’t be so bad talking to you about this stuff.

All right, let’s go to the diner.
Well, I’m gonna walk around. Let me know when you’re ready to leave.

Why are you passing up this opportunity to hang out with Ann?

When I visited Shiho in the hospital, she said she was sorry for not telling me about Kamoshida… but it was my fault too for not realizing and being there. So I apologized as well. I was so stupid, too… there’s no way Kamoshida would have cost his team wins by taking her off the lineup if I didn’t sleep with him… but maybe I just doubted her ability.
That’s stupid. Stop getting lost in what-ifs in your own head. What’s done is done.
Still… I was weak and stupid. Remember the last time we talked about this? When I broke down after that phone call from Kamoshida. You were there for me, so I didn’t go… Thanks for helping me.
It was nothing.
Back then, I got tired of all the names people would call me. But I want to be able to take those labels without flinching. Maybe if my heart gets stronger, so will my Persona. And I can use that strength to help people around me.
I can help.
Really? Thanks. I’m feeling stronger already!

Girl Talk is like Punk Talk, but it only works on Shadows that are distinctly female. I suppose Shadows like Angel and Succubus would count there.

Now, for my first heart exercise… no refills on my fountain drink!
Oh god, everyone on this team is an idiot.

We chose options 2, 2, 2, and 2 for that event.

Now I feel like I have a better idea of who I want to be. Also, I’m going to think of how I can strengthen my heart. If I think of anything, I’ll let you know. I hope you’ll join me again next time!

Oh! How about you help me come up with ways to train my heart? Just lemme know when a really good idea hits you, okay? Byeee!

After School → Evening

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

You get to lock up from now on. I can’t keep waiting for you to come home. Don’t start any fires, okay?
*nod*

Music: Beneath the Mask

Finally, we get the full version again.

Oh, and come to think of it, shouldn’t we stop by the airsoft shop and ask about that paper bag?

It begins. We will never escape the paper bag.

You’re the only one who can change yourself. You get what I mean?

His many works fetch extraordinary prices, even overseas. He’s truly a world-renowned artist.
(Panelist) Madarame takes in children with no family as his pupils, giving them a home, right? He’s a saint…

(Innocent Grade Schooler) Even on Saturday? You mean you can’t watch Phoenix Rangers!?
I don’t care about that dumb crap! How long are you gonna keep watching that kids’ stuff?
What’s wrong with it? I think it’s really cool. Feather Chaaaange!
…Okay, I have to admit it—Featherman is cool. That show has history!

Why are you kids outside so late?

Our club’s the best in the woorld! We always go all out! Just back from vacay and ready to paaartay!
(Reserved College Student) Vacay…? This has been going on nonstop since the pledge party… These guys are hardcore.

Don’t you badmouth Tora like that! :mad:

(Elderly Office Worker) Yes, sexual harassment… such deviant behavior. The media is going to have a feeding frenzy.
With the internet, even minor incidents can become sensationalized nowadays.
We should try to avoid a scandal. We don’t want to bring shame to our company.

The runaway-train incident, mysterious psychotic breakdowns, a school with a corrupt teacher… We have yet to discover the truth of it all! The apathy that permeates society is a direct result of negligence by our government and the media.

Hmm, yes, tell me more!

…You’re listening quite attentively. Are you interested in politics?

Are you a student? I’m delighted to captivate the interest of someone your age. …Hmm, I could use the help of a young person, but I can’t hire someone without any experience. I’m sorry about that. However, I’d be happy if you stopped by to hear one of my speeches again. …Well then, that’s all for today. I’m heading to the beef bowl shop…

But I guess he’s looking for someone with more experience. If you could just show him your dedication—Wait… He said he’s going to a beef bowl shop, right? I bet he’s talking about the one on Central Street. What if you worked part-time at the beef bowl shop? Show him what today’s youth can do! …Look, I know it’s a stretch, but a true phantom thief can’t let an opportunity like this slip by!

What do you care? The way I live’s got nothin’ to do with you, kid. In the city, you could get hurt for meddlin’ in someone else’s business, you know? Be careful.

I’m yer boyfriend. I couldn’t leave ya to fend fer yourself while trains derail left and right! I just can’t stop worryin’ about you! I ain’t gonna let this city swallow ya whole!
Stop makin’ such a fuss! You’re embarrassing me!

Wait… Rural Young Man and Adorable Woman were dating the whole time!? I assumed he was being a Nice Guy™ to try to get in her pants for the entirety of the old LP! Oops!

We also apply to Ore no Beko now that we can.

Hey, man! Thanks for giving me the time of day. Everyone avoids me because my Japanese is pretty rough. I’m just trying to promote this bar, y’know? You’re just a kid, though. I can’t let you in. Sorry, man.

(Sullen Office Worker) They act so easygoing, like they don’t have any troubles. They shouldn’t behave like that. Maybe education is the problem. You know, they arrested a teacher for physically abusing students.
Well, that kind of thing was normal back in our day. I guess times have changed.

Heh, scared you. Guess that’s no surprise, given the way I look. I had a life once, you know. I was an art student. Yeah, I was cool and everything.

We’re going to work at the beef bowl place to re-establish Yoshida’s Confidant ASAP.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

Line Changes!!!!!!

During Kawakami’s lecture, the line “Did I say something wrong? ” has become “Did I finally talk about something that interests you?” Completely changes the meaning of that line. Also Morgana’s line “Subconscious personalities… It’s a fascinating topic, and it has a lot to do with us. That teacher’s surprisingly smart, huh?” has been cut altogether.

Also, Morgana’s series of lines after you talk to Yoshida at night for the first time has mostly changed completely, from: “Eating at the beef bowl shop, huh? Pretty humble preferences for a politician. That guy seemed to want some help… He isn’t very popular, but his speech-giving skills might be helpful in the Metaverse. Hey, you should work part-time at the beef bowl shop. If he sees you working hard, maybe he’ll let you help him.” to: “That old man’s speech was impressive… That kind of talk might be useful for negotiations in the Metaverse. But I guess he’s looking for someone with more experience. If you could just show him your dedication—Wait… He said he’s going to a beef bowl shop, right? I bet he’s talking about the one on Central Street. What if you worked part-time at the beef bowl shop? Show him what today’s youth can do! …Look, I know it’s a stretch, but a true phantom thief can’t let an opportunity like this slip by!”

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Obviously we need to save the yakisoba pan for Iwai. It’s a bribe so he’ll take the paper bag.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AweStriker posted:

Obviously we need to save the yakisoba pan for Iwai. It’s a bribe so he’ll take the paper bag.

I love voice actor jokes

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

So, just after a teacher is in trouble for (among other things) physically abusing students, and while the police are at the school to investigate, another teacher is throwing things at students. Sure it's just chalk, but that's quite the bold move.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Oh, to be clear, I’m not talking about multiple personality disorder. These different personalities can be a different gender or a different age from you. I mean, if you think about how gods and monsters in myths were first based on the human image… If you actually saw one of those personalities with your own eyes, it might look like a monster.

I can't tell if that is poorly translated or poorly thought-out because the in-game story contradict this statement. Most characters only have one Persona/shadow that represents them. Very few people have these "different personalities".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So if I'm liking P5 Royal, should I get P4 Golden, or will I hate it 'cause it's so old?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

So if I'm liking P5 Royal, should I get P4 Golden, or will I hate it 'cause it's so old?

P4 Golden should still be fun but it should be starting to show its age as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4G's humour has dated quite a bit but gameplay should still be fine once you make it past the first few hours of tutorial.

I wouldn't really recommend playing P3 at this point though. P3P at best because superior MC, but it's not really aged well gameplay wise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Also navigating the Palace itself is an rear end and a half thanks to the confusing knot of stairs weaving its way through it.

You can actually fast travel between areas in the Thieves' Den like you can in the outside world. Makes the place a hell of a lot more tolerable. That said it is a pain to go rearrange your palace over and over if you want to see every little tidbit of dialogue your confidants have to say about every exhibit.

Arist posted:

Let’s head into the Velvet Room real quick.

I know what's actually happening but I choose to look at this as Maaku shoving Justine aside while he sprints into the Velvet Room.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Weird, maybe I was seeing them because I did one of the early bad ending decisions and then reloaded to before that point to continue?

Ha, just like Disgaea

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 26: 5/7: Return To Mementos (New)

This update contains content from Parts 23 and 24 of the original LP.

Anon: sounds interesting

Early Morning

(Train Monitor) “Volleyball Beating Investigation!” The school claims to have left teaching methods up to its staff. It has denied once again that it had any knowledge of the beatings. “Pollen Warning as of Next Week!” Greater volume and arriving later than in previous years. “Hotspots of Tokyo!” Experience art in Shibuya! The Madarame exhibit opens next week.
People are really talking about the Kamoshida incident. No one in this car knows that we’re the ones who did it…

Dating this update horribly with this lovely meme, nice.

Early Morning → Morning

Anyway, today we’ll be talking about “The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.” Most theorize it’s the oldest story in Japan; for some, it’s the oldest science-fiction story in the world. But if you ask me, it’s the oldest story in Japan about a terrible woman.

OH SNAP, KAWAKAMI LAYING DOWN HEAT ON *checks Wikipedia* AN UNKNOWN AUTHOR IN THE LATE 9TH OR EARLY 10TH CENTURY DURING THE HEIAN PERIOD

I mean, Princess Kaguya gives her suitors absurd tasks, demands fancy gifts, then runs off to the moon. Some men lose their fortunes, some are humiliated, and some even get serious wounds or go blind. Women like Princess Kaguya actually show up in a lot of stories from around the world. Now then, Hamiru-kun. You’ve probably heard that a woman who uses her wiles to lead people to their doom is a femme fatale. So what’s the literal translation of the phrase “femme fatale”?

That is correct. The answer is fatal woman. In French, of course. Some famous examples are the witch Morgan le Fay from Arthurian legend and Queen Salome from the Bible. Not to mention the wild, seductive dancer of opera, Carmen.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

…Let me just warn you that exams aren’t so easy that you can pass them with a single night of cramming. Take your time and make sure you understand the material, okay?
…You heard her. Must be rough being a student. Well, you have nothing to lose from studying. Give it all you’ve got.

I have plenty to lose in terms of opportunity cost, cat.

Morning → After School

"None Of These Posts Are Any Good" is the title of my autobiography.

There ain’t even a hint of a hint about a new Palace…
We can’t get everything online… Finding a post with a name and location is asking a lot…

Then we’re gonna need to find one ourselves… but one that the police aren’t onto? I dunno… Guess we should just wait until exams are done, huh?

MORGANA, FLEE

Music: Disquiet

What does Miss President want?
Curious group here. It’s as if all the outcasts formed a book club.
Tch…
And it seems you’re all more than acquainted with Mr. Kamoshida…

Was that supposed to be a joke? From what I heard, Mr. Kamoshida was responsible for leaking your criminal record.
Whoa, really? Thanks for the tip. Now, if you don’t mind, we’re busy here.
Sorry to intrude, but it’s my responsibility to deal with the rumors that have arisen in the wake of Mr. Kamoshida’s resignation, as well as calm the student body.
Not really sure what that has to do with us.
Yeah, can we go now, if we’re not supposed to be up here and all that?

At least try to understand my position. Being forced to deal with this horseplay…
Horseplay!?
Ah yes, by the way… It’s been decided that this place will be closed off due to the incident. I heard some people are coming up here without permission, after all.

That girl seems rather sharp. We should be cautious of her.

Rad, we already have a nemesis! Now to determine if they are of the “dangerous” or “sitcom” variety.

She really pisses me off!

Anyway, you all need to be studying. Not just to keep a low profile, but also to improve your capabilities as phantom thieves.
Fiiiiiine… I was all pumped up to help people, too.
Then I suppose I can show you something interesting first. Remember how you promised to help me out with my mission?
No.
No.
Nope.
Ugh! Just follow me! I promise it’ll be worth it!

Music: Wicked Plan

Just do as I told you.

Look for a post with a full name in it.
I already said there’s no info on any big shots. Don’t you remember? But man, people actually go put someone’s real name on here. That’s some scary poo poo…

The Phan-Site is basically just Doxx City. What has Mishima done!?

“He won’t listen to what I say”… No wait, there’s no name on this one.
“Someone’s bad-mouthin’ me in online chat rooms”… This one’s got a name.
Ignore those. Aren’t there any posts about more serious trouble?
“I don’t know what to do about my ex who’s stalking me. His name is Natsuhiko Nakanohara.” It says he’s a teller at City Hall.

Sounds perfect. Ready the Meta-Nav!
We’re going straight in!? Alright!
Hey, consult us first! It has to be unanimous! Maaku?
Eh, it’s probably fine.
Well, let’s do this then.
Oh, what’s the location? We only have the name right now.
We don’t need one. Just enter “Mementos.” It’ll probably work, just trust me!
Ugh, this again… “M-e-m-e-n-t-o-s”, you said?

Candidate found.

Just as I thought!

Music: Tension

Is this that Nakanohara guy’s Palace…?

Sort of. This Palace is… different, let’s say. The Shadows here lurk underground, let’s go!

Music: Suspicion

The Shadows know we’re here!?
Since the moment we stepped in.
You should’ve told us!
We’re still safe right here. I’ve come to investigate a number of times. Shadows never come up to this floor. But it’s a different story once you go down. This place is simply teeming with them.
More importanly, what is this Mementos!? It’s about time you start explaining.
Mementos is… everyone’s Palace.
Huh? Whaddya mean, “everyone’s”?
A Palace as grand as the previous castle only forms when a person’s wishes are extremely distorted. So, instead of many individual Palaces, the general public has one gigantic shared Palace. That’s where we are now… Mementos.

Wait… shared? Everyone’s all put together?

Think of it as the collective unconscious… No, never mind. You wouldn’t understand that.

Hey! That’s… fair!
Let me see if I understand this… we can change the hearts of people without Palaces here?
Right! It works a little differently though.
But this place seems huge. How are we gonna get around?

It seems the time has finally come…

I am no longer fazed by CAR.

WHAT THE—
Holy poo poo!

I cannot say the same for the party.

Apparently people think about cats turning into buses a lot, so I can do this in the Metaverse!
Why didn’t you do this in the castle!?
Too many stairs! Whatever, we’re wasting time. Climb in!
Gross.

I need a driver, idiots.
Somehow, this the detail that breaks me.

I’m just now realizing that when Mona splits with the team and joins up with “Beauty Thief,” and then almost drives into the party in Mementos, it’s actually Noir driving. Not cool, Haru!

You can’t drive yourself!?

Joker, you drive.
Fine, but I get to set the radio.

Alright, let’s do this!

Music: Mementos

oh god it’s back

We’re looking for Nakanohara, right?
Yep. He’ll probably be his own small segment. We just have to find an entrance.
And we gotta go search for it? What a pain…

We use a Lockpick and open this chest for a Baptismal Water.

And here we find the entrance to Nakanohara’s “Palace.”

This is the place… I sense the target up ahead.

That seems to be Nakanohara’s Shadow.
Lemme see. Some front desk guy at City Hall became a stalker, right?
I don’t know how much evil he’s done, but we have to do something if he’s bothering other people.
All right, we’ll go talk to him.

Music: Blood of Villain

Are you that stalker!? Haven’t you ever stopped to consider how your ex feels?

No.
poo poo, that didn’t work…
She’s mine! Butt out!
Enough of this crap! We’re gonna change your heart, you bastard!

There are millions of people far worse than me! What about Madarame…? He stole everything from me, but you’re letting him off the hook!?

We don’t know who that is!
What a loving joke! Aaagh!

And then he turns into a little gremlin, yadda yadda whatever.

Music: Keeper of Lust

Look… This is a winner-takes-all world. Come fight me and I’ll show you what I mean!

So, we inflict Confuse with Skull Cracker, which is the perfect segue to talk about the old money farming trick, which was nerfed to poo poo. Confuse now lasts only one turn, so it’s much less efficient to inflict it and hope the enemy throws money at you like a samurai in a Final Fantasy game. However, it’s much easier to get money through a variety of other means now, so it’s no problem at all.

This fight is a joke besides that.

Headbutt, Media, and Tarunda.

After Madarame threw me out on the street, I became fixated on her… I just didn’t want to be thrown away again… I’m sorry, I’ll stop bothering her… Wait, you can change hearts, right? Please, stop Madarame… Before he preys on anyone else…

Change… Madarame’s heart?
Hm? What’s that shinin’ thing?
It’s the bud of a Treasure. Had we left it be, it very well may have blossomed into a Palace. Joker, this will make a perfect reward!

Oh right, this thing that Nulls Forget. Laaaaaaaaame.

Most likely.
But how are we supposed to know if we succeeded?
The lady posted the dude’s name online. If he really does change, she’ll prolly comment again.

It’s occurring to me that it’s kind of a missed opportunity here that there’s never anyone that like, catches on to the Phantom Thieves answering requests and then lies in a Phan-Site post about something awful someone they don’t like did to make them change their heart. Anyway, thank you for reading my fanfiction.

All right! That ruled!

Hold on. There’s somewhere I want to show you guys before we leave.
What, there’s more?
Don’t worry, it won’t take long.

Music: Mementos

There’s something I’d like to check in an area further down. That platform we saw earlier should be the way down. Let’s head there first.

Don’t you have a map or something?
It would be pointless. The layout changes every time you come here.
For real…?

Yep. Despite this being a Palace, we’re still in the subway. I guess this is how people view this place?

People go through this darkness… every day?

We’re totally gonna get hit by a train…

And a dead end at that. Why’s it even exist?
Now hold on… Just watch. This is most likely not an ordinary wall.

It opened!
A new area has been confirmed in the depths. Updating guidance information.

Aha! It worked! I knew there had to be more to Mementos than this! Now that people are talking about the Phantom Thieves, it let us through!

How deep is it? Should we try going further down?
Let’s not. That’s not why we’re here today, remember? We’ve already accomplished our goal. We should head back and I’ll explain more once we’re home.

Music: Wicked Plan

A person!? In Mementos!?

Oh hey, it’s that kid from my Palace. Sup kid, what’s up with your nose? And also your ears? And also your entire head?

Maybe it’s this one…

Ooh! Tasty!

I caught Mona mid-blink here and it’s freaking me out

So, who’re you guys?
WE should be asking YOU that!
Good point. Sorry about that. It’s customary for a human to introduce itself before asking another human for its name.

Yes. Normal Human Dialogue. Hahaha.

Thanks for reminding me, Misterrrr… um, Tanuki? No, um… Hmmm… Cat?
What took so long to come up with “Cat”!? And I’m not either of those!
Yeah, uh, gettin’ confused about that seems pretty normal to me.

I’m pretty surprised to see some normal humans running around. I didn’t know people could just come here.
Well, we are pretty special—W-Wait, that’s not important! Who YOU are is what matters right now!
When you said you were looking for flowers, did you mean that floating thing?

Those seem to the ones I’ve been looking for. I’m collecting as many of ‘em as I can ‘cause I’m studying humans.
Studying humans? That’s why you turned a flower into a drink?
Yup.
(muttering to self) Drinkin’ flower juice counts as studying?

The voice acting in this scene is :discourse:

Hey, could you guys help me with my research?

By collecting flowers for me. I wouldn’t ask you to do it for free, though. I find all kinds of stuff you can use while you’re exploring. I’ll trade you some of that stuff for more flowers.
Whaddya think? Should we try an’ get him some flowers?
Seems like it could do us some good, but we don’t know this kid… We gotta be careful.
Oh, I’m sure he’s fine. Let’s give him a hand. He seems like he could use it, and it shouldn’t be too hard to pick flowers while we’re exploring, right?
Okay, any OTHER reasons?
(deliriously) Hehe, he called me “pretty lady.”

Eh, it’s prolly fine. I mean, he said he’d give us useful stuff and all. Whaddya say?
Well, are you going to help me find the flowers or not?

Thanks!

Don’t go thankin’ us just yet, bud!

I am NOT a cat! And I’m NOT grumpy!
O-Oh, okay—then, are you hungry? I learned hunger can make a person turn grumpy.

You’re makin’ the kid worry about ya even more. Guess there’s no way outta this one.

Oh, and I guess just gathering flowers would be kind of boring, huh? Since you humans seem to enjoy playing so much, I’ll come up with some fun games for you. Ah, I also just remembered something humans like to say to each other:

If he’s studying humans, does that mean he isn’t one? I mean, he just seemed like some nice kid.
Well, he didn’t feel like a Shadow… I wouldn’t say he’s dangerous… at least, for now…
Anyways, if we see any of those flowers he wants, I guess we can grab ‘em for him.

Yeah. The thing is… I picked up something strange while I was exploring earlier. Here it is…

It’s a star. At least, that’s what they look like, so that’s what I call them.
A star?
Um, so, what about it did you want to show us?
Humans make wishes on stars, right? That’s so interesting. Stars granting wishes… So this star is going to grant your wishes.

Our wishes!?
…Or, it would be nice to think that.
“Nice to think that”… Seriously…
I’ll give this to you. It’s so sparkly and beautiful, you want it too, don’t you? It’s a “sign of our friendship.” I know what that is. Off I go now. Good job!
Hey, wait!

A star, huh? He said it’d grant our wishes or somethin’…
I highly doubt something like that would actually happen, even in Mementos… Well, I guess you can at least try making a wish.

An extra large beef bowl! With pork soup on the side!

Was Skull’s wish too petty?
You’re one to talk!
Hm. I guess things don’t just happen that easily. But we can’t just throw the thing away… Hold onto it for now.

I’m not entirely sure of all the details myself, but it seems to be affected by the public’s belief in us.

Why do you know so much about it, Morgana?

My memories are still hazy there… but I can feel that I need to find what lies in the depths of Mementos. Mementos is the source of all Palaces. Larger, separate Palaces didn’t even always exist. So there must be some great source of distortions in there. If we can deal with it, I know I’ll change back!
So you wanted help too… Fine, I guess I can lend a hand.

I’ll… be relying on you guys.
By the way Morgana… are you a boy? Or might you be a girl?

The three genders.

That is a possibility!
I wish I could deny it, but… I just can’t be sure.
Why not!? …In any case, of course I’m male! I mean, I…
…What is it?
No… It’s nothing. We’re done talking about that! Anyway, we now know that we can perform minor changes of heart in Mementos. If we come across any eye-catching leads, it may be worth dealing with them for a bit of combat practice.
There weren’t any other outstanding ones though…
I bet we’ll get tons of ‘em if we can change someone famous and make the Phantom Thieves well-known. The big fish are our main targets after all. The big fish are our main targets after all.
First you need to find a way to get through your exams.
I gotta study…

‘Sup, Yusuke? Stalking Ann? That’s nice.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

If we can take down some big target next, we’re totally gonna get famous.
Hey! We’re trying to help people, not get famous!

We need to become known if we’re gonna give people courage, though.

I don’t think that you’re necessarily wrong… But should we really be doing this at all if we don’t have a reason like with Kamoshida?
You mean we shouldn’t be sticking our noses into other people’s business? I dunno, man. If someone’s in trouble, it’s only natural to wanna help ‘em out!
I mean, I agree with that. And I guess I was glad we were able to solve the stalker case.
Plus, what good are our Personas if we don’t use ‘em for good? Don’t you agree, Maaku?

>Helping people’s good and all, but I’m really just in this to watch my Personas get guillotined. I have a lot of self-loathing I need to deal with, I guess.

We don’t got much time to be arguing over this either. That Madarame(?) guy bothers me.
Yeah. But no getting carried away, you understand? And don’t do anything to stand out like fail all your exams.
Oh crap! Speaking of that, I haven’t studied at all…

This part of the conversation onward is new.

What about that star? The one Jose gave us. Wonder if that could help us ace the exams…
Yeah, somehow I doubt that.
Hell, I’d settle for just not failing.
Bargaining isn’t gonna help you here. We wouldn’t use it for that in the first place. Maybe you should just, I dunno, put some actual effort in? You’ve still got time.
Fiiine…

If there’s anything you still want to know about Mementos, I’m here.

The questions here are all old except for the fourth option.

I know he’s not a Shadow, but that’s all I can say for sure. I don’t even know if he’s human.

I think “not human” is probably a fair assessment, cat.

He was saying something about us gathering flowers from Mementos, right? We don’t know who he is, or what he wants… but either way, he doesn’t seem dangerous. We don’t have to prioritize it, but he said he’d compensate us… Maybe we can collect some if we have time. Oh, and there is that “star” too, huh? Something about wishes? It’s not doing anything now, though. It just looks like a rock, but… why don’t you hold onto it for now? No idea what it does, but maybe it’ll help us in the Metaverse.

For tonight, we’re going to craft three Lockpicks.

And the bonus craft procs! Maaku gains Proficiency +3, including a bonus point from the double craft.

Line Changes!!!!

When Makoto is confronting the group, the phrase “girl of rumor” has been changed to “center of gossip”, referring to Ann. Sounds better, I guess.

After defeating Nakanohara, most of the following conversation is different:

I-I was wrong… Please forgive me… That evil teacher used me, then threw me out on the street. That’s what caused my fixation on her…
>Evil teacher?
Huh? Could it be that Madarame guy he was talkin’ about earlier?
Yeah… I just didn’t want anyone to throw me out again…

is now:

I’m sorry… Please forgive me… I-I couldn’t stop obsessing… N-Not after the person I trusted used me and then disposed of me.
>Which person?
Hold on, are you talkin’ about that guy you mentioned earlier… Madarame?
I… was afraid of being thrown away again like some worthless thing.

Finally, after leaving Mementos, Morgana’s line about the wall, “I’m not entirely sure, but it blocked us from going in past a certain depth.” is now: “I’m not entirely sure, but that wall must’ve been there for a reason.”

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mementos is a lot more fun in Royal and in part that is because of Jose and the new content surrounding him.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, you finally have an incentive to keep exploring after hitting your targets.

I remember someone in the vanilla game thread saying that Mementos was like Costco: it's such a pain to go there for just one or two things, so you wait to go until you have a long list. In Royal, it's more like the corner store.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

It’s occurring to me that it’s kind of a missed opportunity here that there’s never anyone that like, catches on to the Phantom Thieves answering requests and then lies in a Phan-Site post about something awful someone they don’t like did to make them change their heart. Anyway, thank you for reading my fanfiction.

Shadows in the palaces and mementos are essentially the person unfiltered, candid self, so the lie would be unraveled as soon as they come across the shadow or the shadow may not even appear if the person is not twisted. Nonetheless, the former could lead to an interesting storyline where they get a quest from the shadow in mementos about a certain someone who hates them and is out to get them which is semi-how the next palace is getting kickstarted, but a more nuance sidestory would be nice.

Also people on the Internet lie all the time; trying to bait out the Phantom Thieves is not a necessary incentive. I am surprised that the team does not fall for those or read aloud various Yahoo Answer nonsense.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*reading from phone* AITA for burning my (57M) girlfriend's (19F) pictures of her grandmother because she insulted my wife (25F)?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

They have to have some kind of twisted mindset to start separating from mementos and form their own little mini-palace, so even if you get to them and they have no idea what you're talking about they'd still be ranting about... I dunno, how fun it is to beat up hookers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence2090
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone have ideas about Jose? Because all I have is that he has Gold Velvet Room Eyes ™.