Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished my ~96 Adaptive Control Unit factory after ~120 hours of work.

Link to production planner:
https://www.satisfactorytools.com/production?share=7BW9TvN1cwFwJiFbD6Us

Ground View:

Aerial View:

Foundation with resource input:

Water supply:

Floor 1:

Floor 2:

Floor 3:

Floor 4:

Floor 5:

Floor 6:

Finished project before adding windows:

ACUs on a Mk.2 belt being fed into sink:

Power consumption after turning everything on:

Satisfactory Map view:

Zoomed out:

Complete project stats:

Gonna make a small coal or fuel generator facility so my grid isn't right at the limit, then leave it running until I finally have the golden nut. Framerate is basically at unplayable levels at this point, once I have the nut I'm going to start over on a new save unless the upcoming engine upgrade somehow improves things to playable levels again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Teledahn posted:

Pardon, but where can this mod be found?

Area Actions allows building a lot of stuff at once.

Factory Skyline allows copy/pasting of stuff to stamp down en masse.

I have not used either, but have heard that they are amazing.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Holy poo poo. I just finished the 3rd tier of space station parts, and thought I was going to have an aneurism. And you pump out the ACUs needed in a minute.

Do you belt/pipe all the raw resources in for processing? Is the power needed to run that all made within the factory, or is it brought in?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow, that ACU facility is amazing!

I like how the manifold setup I went with for the manufacturers seems to be what most people use, I fiddled with it for a while to try to have a few in a row. Also useful for back to back!

Also I will put the mod I am using for the foundation/walls shortly when I’m at my computer, forget the name of it now.

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 3, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dalaram posted:

Holy poo poo. I just finished the 3rd tier of space station parts, and thought I was going to have an aneurism. And you pump out the ACUs needed in a minute.

Do you belt/pipe all the raw resources in for processing? Is the power needed to run that all made within the factory, or is it brought in?

Most of my power is generated from my fuel plant, I posted some pics of it back on page 105. Thought that would basically last me indefinitely but this and my supercomputer factory on page 108 have finally pushed it right to the limit. It only works if buildings are producing things gradually, if I load into the world everything tries to make an item at once and the grid trips immediately. Easy enough to fix, I just disconnect the building for a few seconds then turn it back on and it balances out across the game world. Can keep it going for about half an hour and then it trips again when production finally ramps up.

Everything on the production planner I linked is done in the building, with raw materials coming through the bottom floor and processed as they go up. I just do everything with huge manifolds so the only thing to worry about is how many belts I need to run to supply everything. The packaged diluted fuel loop and recycled rubber/recycled plastic loops are kind of complicated to set up but I think they're more or less optimal after some troubleshooting. Besides that it's only a matter of cramming as many buildings on a floor as I can manage then building upwards as necessary. I can't imagine actually trying to do detailed floor plans ahead of time for something like this, but it worked out nicely at 6 floors without much space left.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

That is rad as hell. I just incorporated some verticality into my mess of a factory and thought I was hot poo poo!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use the Smart! mod for the foundation tiling btw.

Checking out area action and factory skylines now!

Also I *just* realized you can check the power stuff on any power poles now, including resetting the breaker! I had been running back to power stations like a chump when I trip it! Although I'm expanding my gas power grid so it should be good for a while..

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I like Smart! the most out of those. It's the least powerful but it's very intuitive and quick to use.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, the degree of difficulty really ramps up with the bauxite -> alclad panels production chain.. bauxite, coal/coke, water, quartz/silica, copper.. yowza.

I have to train in the silica because the one production spot is really far from the bauxite. Time to add more train stops!

If I have train stops in the middle of a line (not a loop) do I need to have the main train station bit on both ends so it can stop in it both directions?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

priznat posted:

Wow, the degree of difficulty really ramps up with the bauxite -> alclad panels production chain.. bauxite, coal/coke, water, quartz/silica, copper.. yowza.

Remember that this is all being changed in the next big update. If you build a big factory for alu, super computers, or turbo motors now, expect to need to rip it all up sooner or later.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nielsm posted:

Remember that this is all being changed in the next big update. If you build a big factory for alu, super computers, or turbo motors now, expect to need to rip it all up sooner or later.

That’s doing me a favour at this point, my main base factory is such a wacky spaghetti conveyor fest :haw:

Looking forward to an update just as an excuse to burn it all down. I haven’t even gotten to a supercomputer factory yet anyway!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I thought the next update was going to make current saves unplayable?

Also, where do you find mods for this game? I dont see a steam workshop for this and nexus mods has 3 things.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ZombieCrew posted:

Also, where do you find mods for this game? I dont see a steam workshop for this and nexus mods has 3 things.

Depends on how far along your factory is. Their changing recipes and shuffling at least one recipe to another tier. The save should load but end game builds won't work at all.

https://ficsit.app/ for mods.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

The community manager said saves would probably still load, but late-game production lines related to anything in tier 7 are almost certainly going to stop working.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

priznat posted:

I have to train in the silica because the one production spot is really far from the bauxite. Time to add more train stops!

If I have train stops in the middle of a line (not a loop) do I need to have the main train station bit on both ends so it can stop in it both directions?

This is how the train setup works in my coop game, from what I understand, every station where a train might approach from either direction needs two stations (one for each direction). The ends of your line do not need 2 stations, since there is only one direction the train can arrive from.

Routing of A, B, C, B (stop in the middle each time) is reasonably efficient for moving a ton of stuff to a central location, and then we use truck stops to distribute from the central train hub to a couple of satellite stations that are far enough away to be annoying but not far enough away to be able to justify an additional train stop and further complicating the train schedule.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phew, this game managed to grab me in a way that factorio didn't. Did the tutorial in the grasslands spot, then started my serious game in the alien desert

Ended up going through a massive drive through the jungle to find a coal deposit, exploration in this game is super fun, tho I do wish I could get a letter way to move poo poo long distances other than conveyor belts. Ah well, hopefully I unlock trains next tier

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Agean90 posted:

Phew, this game managed to grab me in a way that factorio didn't. Did the tutorial in the grasslands spot, then started my serious game in the alien desert

Ended up going through a massive drive through the jungle to find a coal deposit, exploration in this game is super fun, tho I do wish I could get a letter way to move poo poo long distances other than conveyor belts. Ah well, hopefully I unlock trains next tier

Trucking is not a bad early game answer. The trucks are kind of cludgy with manually driving the route you want them to follow, but once you iron out the bugs, they will reliable get 25 stacks worth of goods to and fro

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trains are super fun but you do need to run a shitload of conveyors to them regardless :haw:

Why do they platform have dual inputs/outputs is it just to speed up the loading or will it segregate the goods on the same train car?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
For speed. It'll still dump/pull the stacks the same.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Give us Tier 9 teleportation hubs, cowards.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Vakal posted:

I’d settle for an improved Jetpack with a wingsuit for basejumping.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
After restarting a million times, I'm finally giving oil power a try. My 1,200MW coal plant is getting strained and I don't have enough coal in that area to line up another eight plants so I figured why not?

Now I'm telling myself once I get this going it'll be time for trains, then a real main base, then oh God I'm going down the rabbit hole this time without going past tier six so I can use this save after the next update...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fhqwhgads posted:

After restarting a million times, I'm finally giving oil power a try. My 1,200MW coal plant is getting strained and I don't have enough coal in that area to line up another eight plants so I figured why not?

Now I'm telling myself once I get this going it'll be time for trains, then a real main base, then oh God I'm going down the rabbit hole this time without going past tier six so I can use this save after the next update...

Main bit of advice is to make sure you plan for extra material and sinking it. And then dealing with the fluid overproduction that you can’t sink.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

TK-42-1 posted:

Main bit of advice is to make sure you plan for extra material and sinking it. And then dealing with the fluid overproduction that you can’t sink.

Yeah, I have a small oil spot that's just making plastic/rubber and converting the residue to coke to sink, and my power plants are just sinking the resin so each site keeps flowing.

1-4-9(150%) looks clean to me and I'm happy with my first oil power setup. Should I need more power I can put another set next to that using the second pure oil node.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was kinda me in smart splitters until I realized the overflow option they have let's me stockpile poo poo easier, next time I tear down and rebuild my factory I'll finally make the designated resource depit I've been planning.

I've also realized that's I'm Bad at just making one huge and ever growing factory that makes everything and instead just make smaller lines located near the natural resources it needs that produce specific products and just conveyor belt them to where I need them

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vakal posted:

I'm sure something like that will happen, if only because they haven't patched out hypertube cannons. Despite being an exploit, cannons are at this point well-established as the best way to get around the world; but they don't play nice with the game's map-loading and ought to have a proper designed alternative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I've also realized that's I'm Bad at just making one huge and ever growing factory that makes everything and instead just make smaller lines located near the natural resources it needs that produce specific products and just conveyor belt them to where I need them

The game kind of pushes you in that direction anyways with the way they stage the organization feature unlocks and spread out resources around the map. They want you to be fighting that chaos constantly.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I'm sure something like that will happen, if only because they haven't patched out hypertube cannons. Despite being an exploit, cannons are at this point well-established as the best way to get around the world; but they don't play nice with the game's map-loading and ought to have a proper designed alternative.

The day hypertube cannons get patched out will be a sad day for me. I'm something like 150 hours in and various tube cannons are still my method for moving quantities of material from various spots around the map... first base in the starter area, SW corner... coal power and plastic/rubber in SE, initial plans and setup for aluminum in the NW (waiting on the patch), and now finally Turbofuel power in the NW. I have a rail line going from the SE through SW to NW, but it only works manually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any fav Satisfactory streamers? I watched a couple of the “imkibitz” ones, or something like that and I liked his enthusiasm. Some interesting tips for layouts and ideas etc.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

priznat posted:

Any fav Satisfactory streamers? I watched a couple of the “imkibitz” ones, or something like that and I liked his enthusiasm. Some interesting tips for layouts and ideas etc.

He's not a streamer, but you should watch the series LGIO did on Satisfactory. First video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYYhL9Vt8o

Then go watch his other videos. Because they're amazing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Josh puts almost all SA gimmick posters to shame as far as effort for a joke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When my wife was deciding whether she wanted the game she stumbled into those videos and I knew it was a sure sale at that point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

He's not a streamer, but you should watch the series LGIO did on Satisfactory. First video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYYhL9Vt8o

Then go watch his other videos. Because they're amazing.

Oh my god these are amazing thank you!!

Lmao at his naming the train station and the text just floats on endlessly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

The day hypertube cannons get patched out will be a sad day for me.

I super doubt hypercannons get patched out. The devs do not seem to view their creation as being super serious. Heck at one point they changed something so the cybertruck didn't get flung 100 miles by jump pads, then patched it back.

priznat posted:

I ain't got time for streamers, but the series of fan factories by totalxclipse has has some inspiring stuff for aesthetic builds.

imkibitz is great for the effort he puts in to both the huge stuff he makes, and editing it down into watchable videos. Over time I've decided he's not the best engineer / systems designer, in that I feel he overcomplicates things that don't need to be complicated. But it's also entirely possible that he does that on purpose for youtube content.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah not streamers but edited videos really, that’s what I watch. Often a lot of the best humour comes from a good edit!

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only streamer I found that I liked was https://twitch.tv/scanvoice. This guy makes some amazing rail layouts, well worth having a look for inspiration.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWUBpeSuVI

Looks like something that takes input from up to 2 pipes and belts and outputs into belts.
Animation is on point though, really pretty.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Looks like something that takes input from up to 2 pipes and belts and outputs into belts.
Animation is on point though, really pretty.

Looks like a pipe output too.

So essentially a higher-tier refinery that can mix different liquids or solids. And hopefully not quite as tall.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope the goo color in the mixing chamber changes depending on what recipe is selected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the overhead shot you see three belts and three pipes, two of the belts are clearly working as inputs. It looks like they're feeding in alclad aluminium and heavy frames.. I guess to make the canisters?

So in my scientific opinion it outputs an alternative packaged fuel and some waste fluid.