Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I realize that I forgot one of the screenshots for the update. I made an obscure reference to the false Gyalyum of Carantania, and here she is.

Gyalyum 'the first-the second', Italian Bogomilist Grand Kniaginia of Carantania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I demand a pyramid in our Lonpo's name. :colbert:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kangxi posted:

I realize that I forgot one of the screenshots for the update. I made an obscure reference to the false Gyalyum of Carantania, and here she is.

Gyalyum 'the first-the second', Italian Bogomilist Grand Kniaginia of Carantania.

...what? How did this happen, both the "the first-the second" part and the part where it's somewhere in Slovenia where Tibet has never touched (that I can recall)?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Akratic Method posted:

...what? How did this happen, both the "the first-the second" part and the part where it's somewhere in Slovenia where Tibet has never touched (that I can recall)?

It's a result of game mechanics. It's due to one of the events I modded in for the Tibetan Time of Troubles disaster after the game started, and rebels named "Gyalyum II" keep spawning in other countries. The game also reads "II" as a surname.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Pronounced “Eee”, of course.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

She's actually Gyalyum the third, but the guy who wrote the birth certificate had a shaky hand and everyone just accepted it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kangxi posted:

It's a result of game mechanics. It's due to one of the events I modded in for the Tibetan Time of Troubles disaster after the game started, and rebels named "Gyalyum II" keep spawning in other countries. The game also reads "II" as a surname.

lol, her ghost haunts every malcontent on earth

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Tell the Catholic not to eat anyone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kangxi posted:

I feel like this is a thing that could've actually happened in history. A historian looks up a particular figure and due to a relative lack of familiarity of naming conventions in that language assumes the suffix is actually part of the name because it's not written as a numeral or in a numeral form they recognize.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
There's a surname were I live, "León", that sounds spanish enough but it's actually a misannotation of a chinese name/surname by a migrations officer

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Oh yes, I'm going to write up the state of the world post for 1700 and have it read by next year - any requests?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I want to know how far has Ayiti fallen

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
The usual Taira update, along with Dine and Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni in not-California in Cemānāhuac (North America). What language should I use for finding the name for California in this timeline, Navajo? Nahuatl?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
STATE OF THE WORLD: 1700

The Heavenly Republic of Tibet is prosperous, expansionist, and enjoys a stretch of competent leadership.

Gesar Lasya is held up as a conquering hero after the successful war against Ayutthaya.

To the west, Punjab is the outstanding elector kingdom in the region, having expanded west and south at Rajputana's expense.

This is bolstered by cordial relations with the Heavenly Republic, although who knows how long this arrangement may last.

To their south, Tamilakam is one of the greatest mercantile powers on the continent - one that has never been elected to the seat of the Sacred Tibetan Empire but still holds enough power in opposition to avoid any further encroachments on its territory.

With great delicacy, Tamilakam maintains a robust series of alliances to its north with Vijayanagar and Andhra,

and has substantial holdings overseas.

To her east, Majahapit is a proud thalassocracy and regional hegemon. She commands the largest navy in the region, though she faces a stubborn opponent in the Sultanate of Brunei.

Maharani Suhita I also is also de jure administrator of the Majahapit colonies in Watjubaga, although they are a de facto autonomous republic.
(The name Watjubaga comes from the alternate-history.com story 'The Lands of Red and Gold', by Jared. Go check it out!)

China continues to be as divided as it has been for the past two centuries, although there are two new contenders for unification: The self-proclaimed Shun Dynasty in the northwest and the central plains, and the Wu Dynasty on the Yangtze Delta and Fujian.

The empire long divided, must unite, and the empire long united must divide.

The greatest power in the region is Korea, which has defeated the Taira in a brief and decisive war, seizing part of her Siberian holdings, Aynu=mosir, and Sahaliyan.

While Korea still maintains firm ties with the Buryats, the Nivkh, and the Chahar Mongolians,

The future of the far north is shifting and unpredictable.

But now, skipping to the other end of the continent:

Anatolia is a wounded giant. After the long and bloody war with Ethiopia, she has gained only the Shammar mountains, at the cost of burdensome debts and ongoing revolts in the Hellenic Peninsula. Her vassal, Derbent, has also declined far from her peak.

Only the tiny sultanate of Funj is still her ally; and that is a serious commitment as it borders Ethiopia and its ally, Egypt.

Anatolia still has a network of trading posts across east Asia, however.

Persia, however, is split among many feuding states.

Ethiopia, despite its 'humiliation' at the hands of Anatolia, is still doing well for herself. Although previous attempts to forge a transoceanic dynastic alliance with Majapahit have collapsed, she is not completely isolated.

She maintains a close alliance of necessity with Egypt, and the Sultanate of Maguindanao,

and she possesses multiple foreign holdings, including the port city of Hŕ Tĩnh.

The Sultanate of Mali has had a terrible century so far. Bands of rebel nobles ransack the countryside, and the country has fallen behind from the loss of its colonies, the severance of its alliances, its isolation from global trade networks and diplomatic alliances.

One wonders if the empire can survive the next century.

To Mali's west, the greatest successors to the Incan Empire reassert themselves.

The most prominent contenders are the Chachapoya, who have retained the urban centers in the upper Andes and montane forests, and the Charca, who have taken over much of the south.

To their north, Muisca, queen of the mountain republics, is the most recent power to invade Ayiti with intent to destroy it.

To its west, the Cocomes has splintered into several distinct city states, including Can Pech, Tutul Xiu, and the Tzotzil.

The Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni, while still a respectable regional power, have lost some territory to the Ni-u-kon-sha during a disastrous succession crisis in the 1680s. The Diné, Akimel O'odham and the Hisatsinom have reclaimed much territory along their northern border.

Further north, the Salish people have completely overwhelmed the Xaayda and enjoy regional hegemony.

although the Purépecha retain holdings and ports as far afield as the Hawaiian Islands, some restored altepetls complete with step pyramids [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome"]left behind
by the Triple Alliance's conquest of the far east, as well as some river ports.

It is currently unclear if Hiquinaje IV will move to recover these territories or focus on a different opponent. They are, however, allied with the...

Tsalagi, a theocratic autocracy which nonetheless maintains a warm relations with most of its neighbors, and many of the republics and confederations to its north.

These alliances are prosperous,

and have lent themselves to the maintenance of many trading ports further north.

The Tsalagi are also engaged in a series of brutal wars to maintain the colonies seized from Ayiti.

The islands to the north are a complex patchwork of warring fiefdoms and city-states.

To the east is the Bogomilist principality Carantania. Although it has lost much of its northern territory after the reign of a mad pretender in the 1670s and 1680s, it is still a force to be reckoned with in the region.

Carantania, along with Poland, is in a war with the Nemci to their west.

To their north, Scandinavia has been all but gutted.

The Nerking queens have all but lost to the Gryf family, rulers of Gotland.

The Sacred Tibetan Empire

The empire at this point is completely incapable of institutional reforms, and has not been for decades, but continues to exist.

With the exit of the Heavenly Republic of Tibet and the decline of Rajputana, Punjab or Bengal are considered the most likely candidates to receive the elective imperial seat.

Statistics on the Heavenly Republic

The Most Prosperous Nations of the World: 1700

The Largest Religions of the World: 1700

The Largest Armies and Navies of the World: 1700

Map of the World

Technology Distribution of the World:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

zealouscub posted:

The usual Taira update, along with Dine and Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni in not-California in Cemānāhuac (North America). What language should I use for finding the name for California in this timeline, Navajo? Nahuatl?

If I had to pick a name for the region c. 1700, I might draw from the Osage, Diné, or Purépecha languages, as they run the place at this point.

From Diné, Ahééháshį́į́h Hahoodzo? Though I have no idea what the etymology of that would be.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
What's going on in Khazaria these days?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A reunified east is a dire threat to the Republic, and must be opposed at all cost! We must shatter Shun and Wu! The warlord period must never end, if we are to survive without the vast wealth and manpower that Indian rule provided us.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Viola the Mad posted:

What's going on in Khazaria these days?

A lot. Khazaria itself had reached a peak of territorial control and political influence in the 1650s-1660s, but soon collapsed after wars with Tver, Vladimir, and Ryazan -- and finally, Poland, which has also been ruled by a false Gyalyum.

The Rabbinic Khazars and Karaite Khazars are still hanging out around the Dnieper and the Don, as they have been for centuries. Strangely enough, the rulers of Khazaria itself have converted to Orthodox Christianity, while the Mordvins of the Duchy of Murom are now Karaite.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
VOTE: 1700

The Drötsok is due for another meeting. There is much to discuss for the future of the heavenly republic.

The Lonpo Gesar Lasya is in a melancholy state. In returning from an inspection tour of the south, her entourage took a wrong turn and spent days traveling past the Chongye Valley where ancient emperors and empresses were buried in vast mounds. Many were in a state of dire disrepair -- looted after the Time of Troubles and the campaigns of Gyalyum II -- and their contents scattered to the four corners of the empire. Even a century later, only some of the damage could ever have been restored.

Only a few were left untouched, out of fear of disturbing their inhabitants.

All the turmoil, violence, and noise, all faded into silence, and vast artificial hills that crush the bones within them to mud. Each hill reducing them all to banality and futility. At least in recent years, the bodies of the Lonpoes were treated according to proper ritual and exposed but burial alone felt such a waste.

As a young woman, she read eagerly of history, but the passage of time and the solitude of her position she regards them with a feeling of respectful melancholy -- all was impermanent. Lasya the Holy, her own namesake, the greatest conqueror in all of Tibetan history, the envy of every schoolchild -- and her empire was gone not thirty years after.

But she was still Lonpo, dammit. The gods chose her, for whatever they knew, and the Drötsok was still ready to do their duty. The herders still tended their animals, the farmers their crops, the craftsmen their wares, the merchants their coin. The mountains were tall and the lakes still clear. She still had some time before death and the veil of illusion fell upon her - no time to waste feeling miserable. If she prolongs the good years and delays the next collapse for a few decades, then that would be enough. And in the moments before death, she would be comforted by knowing she did what she could. And if evil entities send another false emperor against her, she will draw her musket and die standing.

Choose ONE of the following reforms:

A) Focus on POLITICAL principles as a basis for government

B) Focus on MORAL principles as a basis for government

Choose ONE of the following areas to focus our military efforts:

A) China (Shu, maybe Xi, or cutting Shun down to size)

B) The Tarim Basin/Great Steppe (eventually breaking our tributary with Altishahr)

C) The South (either going into Ayutthaya and the flood basin of the Chao Phraya River, or down the Kra Isthmus)

D) The West (Punjab, or one of the smaller components of the Sacred Tibetan Empire)

Ally yourself with ONE of the following parties:

The Military Aristocracy, around since the old empire in some form or another is overjoyed at the time being. They will still focus more on the building of military fortifications, the further expansion of the army, and a focus on opposing larger enemies instead of smaller ones where possible.

The Middle Division consists of the wealthy merchants and the lower aristocrats. They too are happy with current developments, and their preferred alignments will involve a push for only smaller wars of expediency, and the construction of manufactories, trade buildings, and further naval expansion.

The Restorationists have been sidelined owing to low turnout and the Lonpo's current edicts of toleration.

code:
Military Aristocracy: [img]https://i.imgur.com/pvjDQgh.png[/img]

Middle Division: [img]https://i.imgur.com/458RBRW.png[/img]
The vote will close on Wednesday, January 6th, at 9 PM EST.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

B - MORAL principles
A - China

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Political Principles and the South.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

B - MORAL principles
C - The South

It's a moral imperative that the spice must flow

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
D

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A

A

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B - Morality

C - South

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A

A

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

A - POLITICAL principles
C - The South

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

B - MORAL principles
A - China, focus on Shu and that trade node

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

B - Morality

C - South

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A

A

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

B-Moral Principles
A- China

Tibet must see no equals if the Eternal Empress is ever to return!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

B - Moral Principles
D - The West

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

B-Moral Principles
A- China

Instead of expanding along our western frontier, I would instead urge our leader to seize the ports on China's coast. Doing so will allow us both to guarantee our control of the region and its trade and ward off would-be rivals in Korea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Instead of expanding along our western frontier, I would instead urge our leader to seize the ports on China's coast. Doing so will allow us both to guarantee our control of the region and its trade and ward off would-be rivals in Korea.

It's Eastwards or Southwards. To head North or West would be a betrayal of our allies and possibly a return to the mire that we left some time ago. Let the old empire sort itself out for the upteenth time while we seek out more fertile plains.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020

B - Moral Principles
B - The Tarim Basin,
it was Tibet's once and should be Tibet's again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

B: Morality
A: China

Let us do the greatest good to the greatest number.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Pacho posted:

B - MORAL principles
C - The South

It's a moral imperative that the spice must flow

:emptyquote:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Moral Principles and the West.

Make the Holy Tibetan Empire Holy, Tibetan, and an Empire Again!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

China

I know that Tibet is full of capable peoples regardless of party, but our great republic will only be able to truly thrive as long as China never gets it's poo poo together (also pops)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

A

C