Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i played it for about... 10 hours...??? and got the spin attack and then bounced off. not sure if i can get back into it. nice game overall tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah if you were at 10 hours and still not feeling it then it probably wasn't for you. i just kept falling more and more in love with it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

same :allears:

also dragons dogma is soulsrim and it's really good even including the usual ps3 game jank

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

hollow knight was free on ps+ and it’s really good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

ecco seemed almost deliberately designed to first entice kids who could play it in-store and fool their parents, then when brought home just completely own them and be unfinishable. real bastard of a game

games of that era were designed to be impossible to complete during the Blockbuster weekly rental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A&t=1107s

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

games of that era were designed to be impossible to complete during the Blockbuster weekly rental

lol this makes a lot of sense
edit christ what an arsehole of game design

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 3, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
something about hollow knights movement just clicked for me

in a way that hades hasn’t at all (i’ll try it again but it just doesn’t feel good the way bastion did to me)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i love dragon dog. my magic knight learned how to shoot hadoukens and now monsters fear me and pawns want to be me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm obsessed with the soundtrack for Jewel Master

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bump_fn posted:

something about hollow knights movement just clicked for me

in a way that hades hasn’t at all (i’ll try it again but it just doesn’t feel good the way bastion did to me)

yeah it the primary thing driving my excitement for silkworm. the controls are already polished to a mirror shine so giving you a character that's even *more* mobile and acrobatic is going to be incredible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm obsessed with the soundtrack for Jewel Master

I'm up to The Gate of Delirium and it's not that good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

good to know you have bad taste

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What the heck do these people use to record these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCifBNvRLgI

That's not how it's supposed to sound, like at all.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there's a whole generation of people who have only ever played 16 bit and previous games on emulators. they don't understand aspect ratios or accurate sound

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i have played enough stardew valley to become absolutely hooked, unsurprisingly

it is amazing how much love and care went in to this game

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

there's a whole generation of people who have only ever played 16 bit and previous games on emulators. they don't understand aspect ratios or accurate sound

ym2612 emulation in general was really bad until about a decade ago when some internal yamaha docs were leaked

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

Honestly at this point, there are probably people who are nostalgic for the way early emulators messed certain things up on games

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

finished cyberpunk, actually really enjoyed it overall

compared to FO:NV, I think there were probably less bugs in terms of dialogue/character/quest triggers. the main bugs I saw were tons of whacky stuff related to vehicles (I got the "briefly naked t-pose while riding a motorcycle" one a couple of times) and HUD elements getting stuck onscreen sometimes. oh and enemy death animations being all messed up when you take them out with your hacking powers. The combat is definitely way better than FO3 or FO:NV but not amazing or anything.

car driving controls felt terrible, but the first motorcycle you get actually feels okay. I ended up kind of enjoying driving around between missions using that thing.

more environment detail than witcher 3 I think (been a few years since I played it), but I also feel like there were a lot less sidequests unless I missed a bunch. i thought most of the voice acting and writing was pretty decent except for johnny being a bad fit for keanu reeves and panam's bizarre awkward phrasing. thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

panam skipped a lot of contractions and I was trying to figure out if that was stylistic, like maybe nomads speak other languages that dont use them, or if it's awkward writing

the best glitchy hacking animation is when you zap someone and they don't fall down until you walk close. so theres five people just hunching midaim as you pop through crates, then they whoop slip down like they stepped on a banana peel when you reach them

the coyote is the only car i like. otherwise it's the akira knockoff or jackies bike

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

can't lane split in cars, so gotta be bikes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly at this point, there are probably people who are nostalgic for the way early emulators messed certain things up on games

I REALLY REALLY WANT AN MT-32 OR COMPATIBIBBLE OSRRY FOR SHOUTNIGN BUT THASTÄ IT.

Also I got to thinking, playing some ZX Santorum games, the Commodore 64 had a huge advantage in every way but the best thing about it was the sort of weird colour palette. I just love it. (And obviously the sound was better than on competitors but that goes without saying.) Those... is "muted" the word? Hues.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ZX Santorum games

lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a hard time playing FF5 or FF6 without thinking about the weird buzzing behind the music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The worst part of playing Finals Fantasy 7- is not the manga its the loading times, and the manga.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

panam skipped a lot of contractions and I was trying to figure out if that was stylistic, like maybe nomads speak other languages that dont use them, or if it's awkward writing

i was trying to figure out the same thing, but the other nomads don't really talk like that it it doesn't seem to suit the rest of the way she talks. I had a weird theory that maybe some of the lines went right from machine translation from polish straight to the recording booth without being checked or something

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm at the last mission in cyberpunk but am doing a load of side stuff and there is some mad poo poo hidden behind some of the generic looking map quests. Like the guy with the grenade for a face, I have no idea what was going on there.

Also i haven't upgraded a tech rifle I got in like mission 3 and it still virtually 1 shots things through walls.

The driving is terrible though and I feel like the actual cyberware is just kind of dull because you dont/can't upgrade it much (unless you have loads of body) and have to go round every ripper in the city to actually see what's in stock.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm at the last mission in cyberpunk but am doing a load of side stuff and there is some mad poo poo hidden behind some of the generic looking map quests. Like the guy with the grenade for a face, I have no idea what was going on there.

i was curious and looked it up and that guy is apparently from a 90s brazilian cyberpunk fan site and a recent podcast series they run, so they pull bits like that from all over for flavor

not that it's terribly niche, but i like that some cigarettes are yeheyuans from gibsons sprawl stories, especially since theres no ads for them so its only something you'll find on a table or discarded as you're walking

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lysidas posted:

i have played enough stardew valley to become absolutely hooked, unsurprisingly

it is amazing how much love and care went in to this game

:same:

it's been a pretty good time waster during my little break. got to my first winter and i really want to get some dinosaurs in my coop, but it's hard to get the eggs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dungeon crawl w upgraded hoe, thats the easiest way to farm artifacts after you got the spots for the day

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

The platforming looks insanely janky in that, it isn't at all clear what is and isn't something you can interact with. glad games have got better at this!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agile Vector posted:

i was curious and looked it up and that guy is apparently from a 90s brazilian cyberpunk fan site and a recent podcast series they run, so they pull bits like that from all over for flavor

not that it's terribly niche, but i like that some cigarettes are yeheyuans from gibsons sprawl stories, especially since theres no ads for them so its only something you'll find on a table or discarded as you're walking

The glasses in bars etc. Are all the blade runner glasses I think. Or very similar without infringing.

which might mean the drinking animation is wrong actually because I have a pair and you can't drink out of the long edge because it's flat and you'll just spill it, you have to hold the glass at an angle and drink from the corner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The glasses in bars etc. Are all the blade runner glasses I think. Or very similar without infringing.

which might mean the drinking animation is wrong actually because I have a pair and you can't drink out of the long edge because it's flat and you'll just spill it, you have to hold the glass at an angle and drink from the corner

Oh they'll get right on a fix for that /laughing cop from Big Lebowski

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Saw that there were a bunch of retro/retrolike games on sale on steam this weekend so I ended up buying the og fallouts, planescape torment, arcanum, blood, and dusk. Haven't played the rpgs or blood yet, but dusk is very good.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
a hearty LOL at goons learning how perspective works in the Star Citizen mock thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

a hearty LOL at goons learning how perspective works in the Star Citizen mock thread.

can you post a few key snippets because i'm not wading into that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know that reddit is Not Allowed and for good reason but r/switch sure is a thing right now

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/beackupburner/status/1345976735570001920

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

brb, going to buy 5 switches and skip out on rent

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there's another switch you're forgetting and it's the blade you pull on your landlord in minecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

there's another switch you're forgetting and it's the blade you pull on your landlord in minecraft
:haibrow: