Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

May just depend on the shop. Sam’s club switched my tires for about 10 bucks less then Costco and I haven’t died yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

Sam’s club switched my tires
Heretic

PBUC

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Yeah I don't do tire buying at Costco. Super limited selection of brands and tire types.

It's honestly designed for Joe Smith and his wife Suzanne to get their car, which they know nothing about, a set of brand name tires that meet the OEM specs for the car.

Yeah maybe, but they also carry and have nice sales on Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are the best summer tire I can throw on my GTI.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fizzymercy posted:

The iu is 2000 and they give me wicked loving heartburn.

Same as what I got from Kroger when they were BOGO. Welp, looks like that's on the list when this bottle is almost empty.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I have winter tires (on rims) that I put on for snow season. Last time I needed new all weather tires I bought them at Costco, everything went fine, they put my winter tires in the back. The next fall I make an appointment to have my tires swapped and learned when they got my car into the bay that they would not put the winter tires on because I didn't buy them from Costco.

I told them I understood it wouldn't be free or anything, but I needed them swapped and I wasn't ready to buy new winter tires. Nope, there was no price I could pay to have them put the winter tires on.

Just a really weird restriction, essentially if you don't buy eight tires from them at once you can't use their tire shop for seasonal swaps. The rep said it was a new rule in 2019 or something.

Also, they don't even stock tires for my van at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I posted before about my tire experience at Costco. My location has no issues whatsoever with me bringing them loose wheels and installing the tires on those. I don't know what they put in their system for my vehicle, but it's always wrong.

They won't install them directly on the vehicle, and that's understandable as these weren't originally sold in the United States and are not in their computer system.

Basically what I'm saying is it's location dependent, And let me tell you what buying a bunch of batteries and tires does to your executive member check :v:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sorry for the slight digression but ive never found anywhere better than discount tire for all my tire needs

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got one of the motorized sit/stand desks after wanting a standing desk for a few years

It's nice

oh nice! how much did you pay? did you buy it in-store or online?

im a short person living in a 5’6” world and wfh has been really painful for me and have been thinking of getting a sit/stand desk.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tezer posted:

I have winter tires (on rims) that I put on for snow season. Last time I needed new all weather tires I bought them at Costco, everything went fine, they put my winter tires in the back. The next fall I make an appointment to have my tires swapped and learned when they got my car into the bay that they would not put the winter tires on because I didn't buy them from Costco.

I told them I understood it wouldn't be free or anything, but I needed them swapped and I wasn't ready to buy new winter tires. Nope, there was no price I could pay to have them put the winter tires on.

Just a really weird restriction, essentially if you don't buy eight tires from them at once you can't use their tire shop for seasonal swaps. The rep said it was a new rule in 2019 or something.

Also, they don't even stock tires for my van at all.

Are you saying they stored them for you in back too? Or meaning in the back of your car?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Back of his car

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Costco Wholesale consumer goods and used tire storage

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks, thought for a moment there was some second set of tire storage service church offered that I wasn't aware of! I have limited garage space so that would have been very attractive to me.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Back of his car

Correct

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, thought for a moment there was some second set of tire storage service church offered that I wasn't aware of! I have limited garage space so that would have been very attractive to me.

They barely have enough room for their own storage, costco's are designed to be as small as possible for the amount of sales the store is expected to do.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

the spicy sausage is really good. been frying it up with egg onion and potato. basic stuff but it's a nice little routine

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

the a-sha hakka is definitely 10000000000000000000000% better than the a-sha tainen, wahtever you do, don't get the tainen noodles.
I'm quite ignorant when it comes to noods, but what's so bad about the tainan noodles? I found them simple and pleasant; they're not blowing my mind but they also don't feel as aggressively oversalted as a lot of brands and leave me feeling just fine after.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Went to the 'co today and saw these absolutely adorable plush dog chew toys in the shape of Costco food court items (pizza, hot dog, soda, and something else)

No one mentioned this — probably because they’re still on their first purchase of it — but buy the 2-pack of Saran / plastic wrap. The wrap itself is maybe only slightly superior to other brands, but the dispenser / housing for the wrap is completely game changing.

Seriously, does Costco have a patent on the box design? It’s ridiculous how ownage that is compared to any other plastic wrap.

edit: it comes in a 2-pack so you can give one to a friend to convert them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Martman posted:

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to noods, but what's so bad about the tainan noodles? I found them simple and pleasant; they're not blowing my mind but they also don't feel as aggressively oversalted as a lot of brands and leave me feeling just fine after.

Haven't tried them but

The sauce on the Hakka noods was pretty thin and I was surprised that I didn't need to add anything, but this here stuff looks like angel hair and I could see it just sticking together and being unpleasant.

I guess. I'm just really happy with the Hakka.

Besides all that, thanks for the tire tips! I wish I knew more about my car in general but you guys rule.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

poisonpill posted:

You’re insane if you don’t buy all your meat from Costco: get a six pack of chicken, and a hundred dollar beef loin and freeze it all.

This is only true if your other options are the American-standard meat department of plastic-wrapped cuts on the shelf. I usually only buy whole chickens and high-end beef at Costco, because my preferred supermarket beats or competes on chicken pieces, pork, and "lesser" cuts of beef, and will custom-cut anything to order (boning and skinning thighs or breaking down a whole pork shoulder into chunks of a requested size, including sawing the bone into chunks for stock). Where Costco completely eradicates the competition is the dairy aisle -- everything is 1/3rd or more less, and is usually days fresher and has been kept colder, meaning I can actually buy a Costco gallon of milk and finish it rather than losing a quart. And the eggs are absolutely the best I've ever bought outside a farmer's market.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have never had a good experience at the costco tire center.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

hamtaro posted:

the spicy sausage is really good. been frying it up with egg onion and potato. basic stuff but it's a nice little routine

Which spicy sausage would this be?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DNK posted:

No one mentioned this — probably because they’re still on their first purchase of it — but buy the 2-pack of Saran / plastic wrap. The wrap itself is maybe only slightly superior to other brands, but the dispenser / housing for the wrap is completely game changing.

Seriously, does Costco have a patent on the box design? It’s ridiculous how ownage that is compared to any other plastic wrap.

edit: it comes in a 2-pack so you can give one to a friend to convert them.

are you talking about the sturdy yellow and blue box with the sliding blade tool integrated into the packaging? yeah that stuff seriously owns. when we have relatives from outside the US visit they always want to get some of it to take back home too

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah maybe, but they also carry and have nice sales on Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are the best summer tire I can throw on my GTI.

Yup, that’s what I put on my genesis.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Is Costco phasing out soda or is my local warehouse just having a shortage? Only soda products available are mini cans and 20oz bottles of regular Coke. No diet coke, Coke Zero, Dr. Pepper, Diet Dr. Pepper, nothing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
There’s been aluminum can shortage issues since Covid hit bro.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The tonkotsu with Morimoto's face on it is actually pretty decent

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

thathonkey posted:

are you talking about the sturdy yellow and blue box with the sliding blade tool integrated into the packaging? yeah that stuff seriously owns. when we have relatives from outside the US visit they always want to get some of it to take back home too

Yeah that package owns. I'm on the second roll right now, by the end of the first roll the cardboard was absolutely done. It split in half and the ends were raw. It doesn't help that it only fits in my drawer on the side, so it gets a little worse with each use.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The thing that annoyed me about the Costco Tire Center is that they won’t do alignments after your get 4 new tires so you still have to go to the dealership or a tire place anyway to get the alignment done.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
another thing i started buying at costco is the precut boxes of aluminum foil squares instead of rolls. its a hundred times easier to use as most of the time thats the size i need anyway. it was out of stock for a while beginning of the pandemic but has come back and i scored a box usually lasts me all year

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The Costco near me in Los Angeles has stopped selling Bitchin' Sauce.

Not sure how I'm going to ration the last container in my fridge.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I have never had a good experience at the costco tire center.

Same, bad ones actually. They told me they put my spare in car and they actually put the flat tire with the nail in it back. The spare was tossed. I went back to talk to them about it and they said they couldn't do anything. If I need tires I go to discount tire now.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 4, 2021

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

We managed to make it through 1.75 rolls of the plastic wrap not knowing about the sliding blade tool. I'm not sure how we managed to do it, it's advertised all over the box. I'd seen other people with it and I guess I assumed they added it on themselves. To be clear, 1.75 rolls of that stuff was like the first ten years of our marriage.

I've been getting my tires done at Costco since 2005 and I honestly can't recall anything about the experiences, good or bad. I guess in it's own way that's a plus.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I do love buying aluminum foil at Costco and am still on a 2 pack I bought early last year. The price is so good and they are big sheets. I'll try the precut ones when i'm out.

Costco has been getting a lot of keto diet stuff, if that's your thing. I imagine it's been in other, more popular locations for maybe a year now, but even my small town Costco is getting stuff i've only seen screenshots of until now. I just found these egg sandwiches that are just egg, turkey sausage and cheese. Even before the diet turned into a fad, it was always the best place to go if you were on that diet and now that brands are hoping on the fad to make money, you can find a lot of things you used to have to make yourself. They have this pancake and waffle mix that is perfect for making lots of different baked goods. Grain free granola, no sugar added yogurt, dried cheese, etc.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I can't be the first person to have thought of this, but the San Pellegrino Limonata + Kirkland Gin makes for a fast and good Tom Collins.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Jubs posted:

The Costco near me in Los Angeles has stopped selling Bitchin' Sauce.

Not sure how I'm going to ration the last container in my fridge.
https://bitchinsauce.com/where-to-buy

May this make your life easier.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just seeing the words "kirkland gin" is making me feel hungover. how does that stuff compare to other gins

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

durrneez posted:

oh nice! how much did you pay? did you buy it in-store or online?

im a short person living in a 5’6” world and wfh has been really painful for me and have been thinking of getting a sit/stand desk.

Got it in the warehouse for $300. My wife wanted one so I went back two days later and they were sold out. It also shows as sold out online.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

thathonkey posted:

just seeing the words "kirkland gin" is making me feel hungover. how does that stuff compare to other gins

It's serviceable in a mixed drink but I wouldn't drink it in a martini or over ice. Kinda weirdly floral on it's own and a little harsh. I'd say it tastes like a downmarket Gordons. For the same price point you can get Boodles and it's better at everything.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tim Whatley posted:

The tonkotsu with Morimoto's face on it is actually pretty decent

i agree. They're good enough that I'd buy them again but probably not good enough to replace shin black in my rankings. I've only had one so far though need to have a couple more before formulating final opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Martman posted:

They taste real bad is probably the main issue