Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sininu posted:

We got a keyboard thread with more knowledgeable people: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Paradise Killer is a great game, and it took me solving the case, finding everything, and completing the trial before I realized I maybe should've thought more about how your character keeps saying "there are facts, and there's the Truth."

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Darkhold posted:

It's gone from garbage to mediocre so I guess that's something to say about it. If you're looking specifically for that old school jank it might be worth a buy. Otherwise there's so many better tactics games you could be playing.

Cool, thank you. Other than Xcom, Battletech, and Troubleshooter what Tactics games would you suggest over it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

nordichammer posted:

Cool, thank you. Other than Xcom, Battletech, and Troubleshooter what Tactics games would you suggest over it?

I really enjoyed both Gears Tactics and Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark earlier this year last year. GT gets a little repetitive due to a lack of mission diversity, and the way you recruit new Gears onto your squad was kinda half baked but fundamentally it's a fun game. It's available on Xbox Gamepass too. It's definitely a game I know I'll never go back and play again so I don't mind just activating a sub for a month to play it rather than buying it for full price.

Fell Seal was overall really enjoyable, great combat and a lot of fun customization options with subclassing and whatnot. I played it on the Switch though, not sure how it is on PC but I think it was mostly positively reviewed on steam so it's probably a fine port.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Into the Breach is one of the best tactics games ever, it's distilled down perfectly into very granular decision making. It's not a tactics rpg but it has all the same in game mechanics and gameplay decisions as the others

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bit of outside ball here but has anyone taken the plunge on Phantom Brigade, the mech game in EA on EGS (thanks acronyms) and have some thoughts?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I did, let me edit this post once I filter for my last one

E: Done. Long story short I definitely recommend given what's already there in the base gameplay but am holding off as they add the metagame/overworld stuff and do tweaking and refinement. If you really like mechs shooting each other you can get at least a dozen hours of enjoyment out of it right now, the campaign basics of moving place to place liberating areas is in.

threelemmings posted:

I got it previous to the sale and my opinion is you are probably good to wait... but I would still recommend buying it when it releases or after a few months of patches. The base game feels pretty good and I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, I think mainly waiting til there's more campaign structure and they have time to fine tune all the ancillary mechanics will really round the game out.

The game itself is kind of mixed between Frozen Synapse and Into The Breach. You plan out each turn five seconds in time and then press the go button, like the former. You can see exactly what each enemy is doing on their turn, like in the latter. Each action you program takes a block of time, so you're positioning yourself where you have a good angle to fire when they're exposed, loving behind cover if they're shooting at you, etc. Weapons have an optimal band so you're also trying to stay out of an enemies threat zone while putting yourself in good range, in addition to cover and the like. It ends up being an intricate dance of putting everything where it needs to be along a five second hand as you run or afterburn in and out of cover.

There is a campaign, the overworld is xcom with a mobile base, with your standard pause, 1x 2x time acceleration. But, a lot of components there are not fully fleshed out, for example repairs don't cost anything yet so you just accumulate money with nothing to spend it on, some gear doesn't do what it's supposed to or has hidden stats, etc. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it already because the battle system at its core was fun and they've done what you should do for game in beta: create a really strong core gameplay loop and then start building all the other stuff that supports it and increases variety.

If all of this sounds really up your alley, and you feel impatient, grab it now! I already had a ton of fun playing robot gun ballet and other than a few tweaks there's nothing really missing from the core combat. If it sounds cool but you're able to wait, its only gonna get better as they build up the rest of the structure and metagame to support the combat. I put fifteen or twenty hours into it, and am content to wait for a while but im ready an excited for where it's going.

Tldr: it's already good, depending on how much you require campaign structure and stuff other than the base gameplay loop should determine if you get it now or later

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 4, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
I do like mech shooty smashy. Thanks!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for PC BUILDING SIMULATOR via PM.

Thanks!

EDIT: This has already been claimed, sorry.

D1E fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 4, 2021

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

The good bit about Silent Storm is the terrain destruction and shooting through walls.

Most vivid memory I have of it is fighting in some factory and a stray bullet hitting a gas pipe or tank, causing a chain reaction of explosions and destruction that killed half my team

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvKEKD3eo2Y

I don't know if any of us are cool enough for Cruelty Squad

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

nordichammer posted:

Battle Brothers

Baller Time posted:

Most vivid memory I have of it is fighting in some factory and a stray bullet hitting a gas pipe or tank, causing a chain reaction of explosions and destruction that killed half my team

I remember one mission where I was supposed to break into some kinda warehouse, and my very first shot in the mission missed the guard I was aiming at, pierced the warehouse wall and hit a gas tank or something. A couple minutes later after my computer finished making GBS threads bricks, a good two thirds of the warehouse was just one giant crater.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 4, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Have a good war!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

edit beaten

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 4, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for PC BUILDING SIMULATOR via PM.

Thanks!

Sure why not?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RDR2 is technically a 2019 Steam release but it made the cut for the 2020 awards, just like Cyberpunk is almost guaranteed to be the 2021 GOTY.

Blattdorf posted:

Valve announced the Steam Awards 2020 winners. What's funny is that the winner of every category is the first option on the left.

I had to check myself - it's true.

https://archive.vn/6FNh8

No randomized placements during the voting period.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

explosivo posted:

Sure why not?

Sent!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for ANCESTORS: THE HUMANKIND ODYSSEY via PM.

Thanks!

EDIT: this has already been claimed, sorry.

D1E fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 4, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got some keys to offload as well, most of it's junk but if you like classic X-Com here ya go!
code:
Cities: Skylines - After Dar?    - HZJ8C-MIK?3-M7774
Cities: Skylines - All That Ja?z - JRD?2-KD94N-HLPYL
Raku?n                           - RHVPZ-FP?MJ-Q2KJ5
Loot ?ascals Soundtrack          - D5RF6-FZH5W-?KBKD
Aurion: L?gacy of the Kori-Odan  - ID0Q6-3H9?W-V3P5Z
The Interactive Adven?ures of Dog Mendonça and Pizza Boy - GONE
Voi? Destroyer                   - T56N?-H8HB3-P3WF0
X-COM: A?ocalypse                - L6KM?-3DYIA-7ZH4N
X-COM: Enfor?er                  - ?5HQ9-VYRY7-HVEV0
?-COM: Interceptor               - XWWJ?-NCMNI-HYA55
X-COM: Te?ror from the Deep      - GONE
X-?OM: UFO Defense               - GONE

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 4, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

Speaking of which, can someone sell me on New Vegas? I actually already own it on Steam but I've barely logged a couple hours. Meanwhile I had over 100 on Fallout 3.

Something about the setting of NV didn't appeal to me back when it came out. What is it everyone enjoys so much about New Vegas compared to 3? I know I'm in the minority here.

Well we can't really force you to like something you clearly don't. People liked Fallout NV because it felt like a much true sequel to the original Fallout while Fallout 3 feels like Oblivion but with guns.

New Vegas did poor sales because it wasn't marketed properly, people weren't sure if it's a sequel or expansion, it's reviews were all over the place because the game was EXTREMELY BUGGY even by Bethesda/Obsidian standards. Also this wasn't like certain games which just didn't work on a specific hardware, if I remember correctly New Vegas had issues on every console + pc. PS3 I am pretty sure was unplayable due to the amount of bugs. This is not the case anymore, atleast on PC.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for ANCESTORS: THE HUMANKIND ODYSSEY via PM.

Thanks!

Can I have this?

E: thanks!

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 4, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

explosivo posted:

The Interactive Adven?ures of Dog Mendonça and Pizza Boy - G8TBF-5PBF?-0AM8X

thanks

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

tight aspirations posted:

Can I have this?

Sent!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for PATHOLOGIC 2 via PM.

Thanks!

D1E fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 4, 2021

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for PATHOLOGIC 2 via PM.

Thanks!

I'd like this please

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

MZ posted:

I'd like this please

Sent!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for WARHAMMER: CHAOSBANE via PM.

Thanks!

D1E fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

nordichammer posted:

Warhammer 40k Mechanicus is good https://store.steampowered.com/app/673880/Warhammer_40000_Mechanicus/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

D1E posted:

The first person to quote this post will receive a free STEAM key for WARHAMMER: CHAOSBANE via PM.

Thanks!

Yeah, OK.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Mordja posted:

Yeah, OK.

Sent!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Disillusionist posted:

Speaking of which, can someone sell me on New Vegas? I actually already own it on Steam but I've barely logged a couple hours. Meanwhile I had over 100 on Fallout 3.

Something about the setting of NV didn't appeal to me back when it came out. What is it everyone enjoys so much about New Vegas compared to 3? I know I'm in the minority here.

It's the only videogame I've played in my life that gives you nuanced choices to make that don't have clear good/evil morality options but mostly I liked it for the setting, which is also the main thing that drove me away from FO3 :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The more I play of Sunset Overdrive, the more convinced I am that it is deadass one of the most underrated games of the last few years. Not surprising I guess, given that it was stuck on the Xbox One for so long but it is a joy to play.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Before the sale ends, be aware that this game exists.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ErrEff posted:

RDR2 is technically a 2019 Steam release but it made the cut for the 2020 awards, just like Cyberpunk is almost guaranteed to be the 2021 GOTY.

I had to check myself - it's true.

https://archive.vn/6FNh8

No randomized placements during the voting period.

This is such a perfect example of how not to design a survey.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I know people are generally down on Jurassic Park Evolution, but I've been having a decent time with it so far and Free is a pretty good price. Are any of the DLCs worth looking at?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I took advantage of the sale to buy 4 games off my wishlist because they were cheap and I am curious about them. Does anybody here have any knowledge/experience/opinions on any of the following games?

1) Urtuk, The Desolation
2) Kingdom: Two Crowns (technically both Kingdom Games since buying the whole package was like .50 more)
3) Heretic Operative
4) Uncharted Ocean

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the tactics recs

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need a 'goons bought these games' site we can plug our steam apis into :v:

Although I guess that still doesn't help with finding hidden gems, since it'll probably still skew massively to the same popular titles.

I've been having an awful time on youtube trying to find even best of 2020 lists that aren't like DOOM CYBERPUNK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Shocking that a list of Best Games would have 2 of the best games of the year on it ;)