Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hall of Good People for Dale Murphy and Moe Berg and Moses Yellow Horse, Hall of Good Players for Ty Cobb and Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Getting inducted into both will be a rare honour for players like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Satchel Paige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remember in a previous MLB thread the consensus was that Joe Jackson was in on the Black Sox scandal, but I don't recall any actual concrete articles to that effect, and the Eight Myths Out article seems pretty definitive. What's the story, there?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

I remember in a previous MLB thread the consensus was that Joe Jackson was in on the Black Sox scandal, but I don't recall any actual concrete articles to that effect, and the Eight Myths Out article seems pretty definitive. What's the story, there?
He took the money

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Bregor posted:

Sosa isn’t an abuser, hth

If you’re talking about Barrold I didn’t say put him in my Cool and Good Hall, but he should be in the forreal Hall

Ah, see I was confused because you mispelt Sosa as Barrold :confused: keeping him out of your 'headcanon' hall but supporting for him for the real one is gross, hth

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

He took the money

I've seen a lot of conjecture that he wasn't smart enough to know what he was taking money for

People also explain away his great numbers in the series by pointing out he failed in important situations, but if he can put up those numbers while selectively failing on purpose holy cow

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Andruw Jones was one of the most fun players to watch in baseball for a clear decade or so and if that’s not one of your primary criteria for Hall of Fame status then you can gently caress off

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NiceGuy posted:

Ah, see I was confused because you mispelt Sosa as Barrold :confused: keeping him out of your 'headcanon' hall but supporting for him for the real one is gross, hth

They were two separate yet equally important points — one was comparing Bonds to Schilling is laughable, the other that in a just world the Hall should include players that I alone think are cool and good which as I have posted here several times already begins with “Slammin’” Sammy Sosa.

As for Barrold and DV allegations, yeah they’re gross and inexcusable but that’s not the benchmark for inclusion even if it should be. Worse people with worse careers are in the Hall, which once again doesn’t excuse Bonds, but I’m sorry if my pointing that out is gross to you :shrug: Luckily my BBWAA card hasn’t come yet because they keep saying something awful dot com in not a reputable sports publication.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This report is claiming that ST will start on time, which I find hard to believe

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1345859581000495104?s=20

We hit 17000 cases in FL just the other day. Players begin to report here in about 5 weeks normally.

I haven't heard anything official, but I have to assume that ST games will be without fans?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They will do whatever the states allow them to, at this point. If FL allows 20% capacity, they'll be at 20% capacity. It's just like the 2020 regular season - there was always a possibility they didn't do a season at all, but once they started there was no chance they wouldn't just finish it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Knowing our governor, he will sign off on 100% capacity because he doesn't give a poo poo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if MLB players are getting vaccine priority. Probably, but I haven't heard anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right now a bunch of vaccines are going to just expire because we aren't getting them out to people fast enough. Allegedly they are not getting priority but with all of the confusion going on surrounding vaccine distribution, it would not surprise me in the least to find out that MLB got access to them secretly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and Arizona is also really bad with cases yet again, so it's not just here in FL

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

This report is claiming that ST will start on time, which I find hard to believe

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1345859581000495104?s=20

We hit 17000 cases in FL just the other day. Players begin to report here in about 5 weeks normally.

I haven't heard anything official, but I have to assume that ST games will be without fans?

MLB has already said they won't try to skip the line for vaccination but I doubt that'll last long, particularly if the current vaccination pace keeps up.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Your daily hourly reminder that MLB are shitheads.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1345904371163426817

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Won't rest till America's pastime is represented by lawyers standing firmly behind America's coups.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He was a career 122 OPS+ and an amazing defender at 3B

I have no idea what HoF voters are looking for

He never pitched a 10-inning no-hitter Game 7.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Shut The gently caress Up, Lincoln Project

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

Yeah but that Duke Nukem Forever take?

Man, I can't believe Duke Nukem Forever was released in June 2011. In a few more years, we'll reach the point where more time has passed since its release than passed between its announcement and release.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got an email survey a couple days from MLB that was basically "do you believe in covid?" "Would the governor or president saying MLB games are fine to attend make you come?" "Will masks being required make you more or less likely to come?" "What is your political affiliation?" etc.

At the very least, they're going to do the same thing they did for the Texas hosted playoffs in every city and state they are allowed to do so, no matter the actual health concerns.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

Shut The gently caress Up, Lincoln Project

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

get this loving garbage out of the thread

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Warne/status/1345966740690395142

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The game is clearly 0-0 before this AB :colbert:

(this is incredible content)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pj_mooney/status/1346133122430234626?s=21

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I thought they already hired the fox sports guy. Boog is fine, he has the most generic nasal sports announcer voice I've ever heard though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I kinda don't like that guy. Really wish they would have given the job to Mick Gillespie he has such an old timey baseball voice I always liked when he called games during spring training.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Every time I check the n/v here or in the discord I get anxious that the Cubs have done something stupid yet again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Ugh, I kinda don't like that guy. Really wish they would have given the job to Mick Gillespie he has such an old timey baseball voice I always liked when he called games during spring training.

Yeah Gillespie was in house, presumably would have cost poor old Tom next to nothing to hire considering he's just the AA guy, and on top of having a good voice he's got great knowledge about the team and good energy. But of course the Cubs can't loving do anything even remotely right at the moment so this tracks.

lmao at hiring somebody named "Boog" to call your games, at least Pat Hughes is still around for the time being.

e. Well maybe they can do one thing slightly right, this was in the press release announcing "Boog"

quote:

Sciambi joins color analyst Jim Deshaies and an impressive lineup at Marquee Sports Network, including studio host Cole Wright, and sideline reporters Taylor McGregor and Elise Menaker. Also contributing are former Cubs players Ryan Dempster, Mark DeRosa, Doug Glanville, Rick Sutcliffe, Dan Plesac, Sean Marshall, Ryan Sweeney and Carlos Pena, former manager Lou Piniella, and Emmy Award-winning broadcaster Chris Myers.

Notably absent from that list is Mark Grace, so hopefully they sent his dumb rear end packing for good.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 4, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
what's the record for most walks in the first inning? I just had Zach Davies walk 6 of my guys in the first in an OOTP game

he went BB-BB-DP-BB-BB-BB-BB-K (on a borderline 3-2 pitch)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Miz Kriss posted:

Every time I check the n/v here or in the discord I get anxious that the Cubs have done something stupid yet again.

If the Cubs do anything, you'd know by there being many, many, many, many more new posts than on an average day.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sounds like Sugano will sign by tomorrow and its down the Giants and Jays, so congrats to the Giants!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sounds like Sugano will sign by tomorrow and its down the Giants and Jays, so congrats to the Giants!

I just googled that guy and my expert opinion is that he seems good and we should sign him.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Sugano was excellent in the WBC. I hope any MLB team signs him.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wow this dude sucks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1346249665239400448?s=20

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I have to imagine that along with those who think it's a liberal hoax, there's probably a ton of MLBers who are antivax. I bet most of them don't get the shot at all. I also don't believe MLB had any actual covid protocol last season so I'm expecting plenty more outbreaks this season lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:(

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I have to imagine that along with those who think it's a liberal hoax, there's probably a ton of MLBers who are antivax. I bet most of them don't get the shot at all. I also don't believe MLB had any actual covid protocol last season so I'm expecting plenty more outbreaks this season lol

Neither the owners nor players at large want another shortened season and/or games being shuffled around because of COVID outbreaks. One of the few things I imagine would be a relatively quick negotiation is that vaccinations are mandatory for all players, with refusal disqualifying you from playing.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol if you think that healthy 20 and 30 year olds are getting inoculated before July

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the players are either cutting the line with extremely high visibility, or they aren’t getting vaccinated for many months.