Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Braksgirl posted:

If you can do some counseling either via zoom or in person, I highly recommend it. It's hard when you think you're communicating in one way and your partner hears it another way. I found it extremely helpful to have a neutral third party help me see things from a different perspective.

I endorse this completely. My marriage was always doomed--we got married when we were babies, I was 21 and she was 22, and we became very different people--but I don't think the divorce would have been so bitter and acrimonious, and I don't think she would have started sleeping around, if she had taken me up when I was flat-out begging to go into marriage counseling. I was in therapy myself (firmly believe everyone should be in talk therapy, honestly), but she never believed in counselors or therapists and so my pleas went nowhere.

But the value of a neutral third party cannot be overstated. So many blind spots can be discovered and remedied with the help of a professional who doesn't have any skin in the game.

Apologies for rambling, I took 4mg of dilaudid an hour ago and it's starting to hit me.

Edit: poo poo, this is a sad way to start a new page. Have a photo of me with my dog Iris, who I haven't seen since 2019. This was from 2017, before I dropped a hundred pounds.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Yeah, seriously. I'm sure she's not doing it to be mean, but if her feedback is aggravating you to the point that you want to drop a hobby that you find fun and rewarding, then you owe it to yourself to say something about it. It sounds like a cliché, but something as simple as saying, "Look, I know you're trying to help, but could you maybe try a different approach" or something along those lines can go a very long way. Long story short is that your wife may have absolutely no idea that she's bothering you so much, and she can't fix something that's broken if you don't tell her that it's broken. Open, frequent and honest communication is the bedrock of any solid relationship, so keep those lines of communication open.

And it will also be good to say something for your own mental health, because dropping woodworking due to your wife's criticism just seems like something that can fester as a resentment and ignite a nasty argument somewhere down the road.

Yes, thank you. Communicating better is something I am slowly improving on because I tend to just shut up and suck it up, but then it leads to anger and resentment later.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Got my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine today. Feels good man.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

(we're not allowed to show pics of Disney parks in the rain because they want us to never imply that it rains at Disney)
I must have imagined the time I was crawling on my hands and knees in front of Haunted Mansion, blinded because it was raining so hard I couldn't open my eyes last time I was in DWorld.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good lord lmao

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/1346179554902216706

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
For the medical people: say one hasn't seen a Dr outside of immediate things like a broken bone or such for years, but is now trying to take advantage of having healthcare and money to use the healthcare. Does Family vs Internal medicine matter so much for a 30 something year old male who is trying to get set up with a primary care physician for the long term?

Asking for a friend who is quickly getting overwhelmed with google results.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Family vs Internal I *think* just means what kind of patients they see. Both are primary care physicians, but family sees all ages while internal focuses on adults.

So It doesn't matter much.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Wait, I know this is a new year and new chat thread, are we not all doing the divorce thing now?

Divorce is over, now is the time to begin anew.

e: maybe don't begin anew if you aren't divorced

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Family practice handles all ages, internal medicine just does adults. Internal medicine also tend to specialize some but not like to a super big degree. Your friend can get either, but shouldn't feel like they are stuck with a doc once they picked one. They can choose other ones later if they don't like their current doc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I finally joined the cool kids last night and picked up Hades. It's fun and Poseidon is my dawg thus far.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Look, this sandpaper grit only gets so fine.

For real, it’s a cutting board for her to use, so I can understand her wanting something that works because otherwise I’m just making her a gift that will aggravate her more. I’ll get it fixed, I think I was just venting because I was mad at myself for the mistake, and at that moment was frustrated with her.

CARPENTRY BOARD OF AMERICA PROJECT CRITERIA

27 C. CUTTING BOARD
Score one point for each correct answer.

a. Is it flat on top?
b. Is it flat on bottom?
c. Is it free of splintering?

Score: If your final score is two points or higher, congratulations. You've made a goddamn cutting board

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, it doesn't matter really. Family medicine was designed as a specialty for rural areas where they maybe the only doctor within a hour drive. They know medicine, peds, geriatrics, and even OB/GYN. However, they tend to focus on outpatient and preventative medicine (like they aren't going to be doing surgeries like an OB/GYN). So that being said they are a great choice, especially for women as primary care providers for essentially healthy people. Internal medicine focuses on adults and covers both in patient and out. It really doesn't matter which for a healthy person.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
+5000 on this guy being the next divorce in the thread

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think I need to give up woodworking as a hobby. Not because I don't like it, but because every time I make a mistake, I have to explain it to my wife, then I have to hear about it from her what I should have done. Then she goes online and looks at the same thing online and asks why I didn't make it like that. I'm just sick of having every little thing critiqued, especially when I already know I screwed it up.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

Cool cool, thanks frens.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Divorce is over, now is the time to begin anew.

e: maybe don't begin anew if you aren't divorced

What about not divorced but still dating :smug:

The final court hearing has been postponed since March of last year woooooo Covid!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

saintonan posted:

Got my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine today. Feels good man.

Hey man ask them if they have any extras I could get

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Georgia Secretary of State is going hard directly at the poo poo Trump is trying to claim for voter fraud. Understandable, regardless of party it would be annoying as hell to have the president using every form of media available to say the work you did is hosed up.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1346186816563662850

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

needs more lights

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The watermark makes it look like he's drooling.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

why aren't those huts on fire?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Silly Burrito posted:

The watermark makes it look like he's drooling.

Off screen is a pile of eggs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If Thomas Kinkade didn't drink himself to death, he would have caught the 'rona and died this year.

edit: the Thomas Kinkade episode of The Dollop is a great one too. Dude was an absolute scumbag personally and professionally.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Spoeank posted:

Hey man ask them if they have any extras I could get

Gotta make sure they have enough for my second dose in 4 weeks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My dog is having just as much trouble as I am adjusting to going back to work after having the 23rd through the end of the year off. He keeps coming up to me like "are we gonna play now??"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Me two weeks ago: drat I wish I had been a little more eager to use PTO in 2020 so I didn't have to scramble to use it before I lost.

Me this afternoon: yes my upcoming dentist appointment doesn't conflict with any meetings, looks like I can save myself a half-day of PTO.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 4, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Georgia Secretary of State is going hard directly at the poo poo Trump is trying to claim for voter fraud. Understandable, regardless of party it would be annoying as hell to have the president using every form of media available to say the work you did is hosed up.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1346186816563662850

Serious question, if someone legally voted early / voted absentee and then died before election day, would their vote count?

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

Dango Bango posted:

My dog is having just as much trouble as I am adjusting to going back to work after having the 23rd through the end of the year off. He keeps coming up to me like "are we gonna play now??"

I volunteer to play with your dog while you work.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Is this not the one the prophecy foretold?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

CannonFodder posted:

Serious question, if someone legally voted early / voted absentee and then died before election day, would their vote count?

From what I've always seen, yes, as long as everything was in order and correct prior to passing.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

CannonFodder posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. They would be able to trace when the ballot was received vs. a date of death if anyone challenged it, and I don't think there is like a push notification for them to seek out and remove a ballot if someone dies before the election. I'm not sure how it is handled state to state, but in states where they can count mail-in before election day, I don't think they would even have a way to trace it to a specific ballot anymore.

The underage voting one really makes me laugh, because the four people who requested ballots at 17 but turned 18 before election day can look at that sign and be like, hey, that's me.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

It may depend on the state, but I think the answer is no.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/politics/voter-death-election-count-invs/index.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, it varies state by state, Obama's grandma (who raised him) died either on election day or the day before in 2008 and the news made a big deal of pointing out that her absentee ballot still counted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
From the IOSM thread

Euphoriaphone posted:

The CTO of a tech startup decided to violate labor laws on Twitter and quickly seemed to realize that was a bad idea, locking his account. I'm sure this tweet will be gone when he unlocks, but hopefully he managed to get himself fired in the meantime.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1346203910541754369

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Depending on the state processes, it's going to-- Arizona for example does signature match and ballot/affidavit separation as soon as the ballot arrives, so if a person dies in that ~3 week return window, there's no way to pull that particular vote out of the pile.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

From the IOSM thread

This is his CEO responding to the tweet lol

also the several children in a trenchcoat also tweeted this

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well this got bizarre

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1346215211586387968

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Botched murder attempt from the husband?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://tv.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ebe4868c-6e35-42b0-80ed-c1ae9c612cf1

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if her face just split in half, like the seat of an old pair of pants that have gotten too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This guy needs to gently caress the whole way off.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1346105372579397634?s=20